WDW Spirited Quickees

WDW1974

Original Poster
Amazing you didn't list the Kid Zone redesign, or the Expansion Pad in seuss landing I actually looked at during cross over last Sunday (IOA to USF for HHN) The pad between MIB and simpsons is still viable, but ONLY a little since the fireworks bunker is back there along with the two HHN sprung tents... of course those could be picked up and moved around to a different empty plot if needed... and apparently there will be possibly an empty plot around london... Terminator is on the block, but only if a viable replacement happens... Shrek is closer to replacement I believe. ET quite yet, it's in kidzone and USF doesn't have rights to the Sesame street properties so they cannot clone the spegetti ride going in signapore using the same tech as ET already. then again Bikini Bottom might happen instead...

Oh and going back to the original poster, @WDW1974 you didn't talk much about HHN ;)

What would ya like to know about HHN's?

I went on Thursday. It opened at 6:30, but they let people in at 6 ... by 6:15 it was monsooning and looked like we were in for a Twister (somewhat appropriate as I was in that queue near the fake cow). Saw every house, but just once. Liked most of them ... Gothic especially ... wanted Walking Dead house to be better. Liked Silent Hill a lot despite no familiarity with source material. Penn and Teller's Vegas house was a lot of fun, but the projections/backstory was lousy because it was played on only one place and the queue was long and you missed a lot of the great setup.

Thought UNI did a poor job of dealing with the rain, there were literally waterfalls running down the streets in places, and feel that since the storm was violent and hit before the official opening that refunds and/or rainchecks should have been issued. Never saw Bill and Ted. There was no street entertainment/scareactors that I saw until after 11 p.m. near Walking Dead.

Rode the Mummy once. Still a great ride.

Rode Dispicable Me once. Great new addition to the park, would compare it to Star Tours redo.

Spent 90 minutes dining, drinking and drying (off) at Finnegan's (which has its own unique napkins, Disney fanbois!) Funny how UNI full serve can be had by just walking up and saying 'party of six'' and entrees that average $12 ... I really don't know how they stay in business.:rolleyes:

Never had a chance to see Bill and Ted's, which I always do.

I had fun, but the night was really a washout and I've never had a visit where I only see the houses once each. Two weeks ago, I did the Haunt at Knott's and they had 12 houses and I did most 2-3 times and rode rides and saw shows. Of course, it doesn't rain in SoCal il September!

Any specific questions?

Taylor

I went on Thursday. It opened at 6:30, but they let people in at 6 ... by 6:15 it was monsooning and looked like we were in for a Twister (somewhat appropriate as I was in that queue near the fake cow). Saw every house, but just once. Liked most of them ... Gothic especially ... wanted Walking Dead house to be better. Liked Silent Hill a lot despite no familiarity with source material. Penn and Teller's Vegas house was a lot of fun, but the projections/backstory was lousy because it was played on only one place and the queue was long and you missed a lot of the great setup.

Thought UNI did a poor job of dealing with the rain, there were literally waterfalls running down the streets in places, and feel that since the storm was violent and hit before the official opening that refunds and/or rainchecks should have been issued. Never saw Bill and Ted. There was no street entertainment/scareactors that I saw until after 11 p.m. near Walking Dead.

Rode Dispicable Me once. Great new addition to the park, would compare it to Star Tours redo.

Spent 90 minutes dining, drinking and drying (off) at Finnegan's (which has its own unique napkins, Disney fanbois!) Funny how UNI full serve can be had by just walking up and saying 'party of six'' and entrees that average $12 ... I really don't know how they stay in business.:rolleyes:

I had fun, but the night was really a washout and I've never had a visit where I only see the houses once each. Two weeks ago, I did the Haunt at Knott's and they had 12 houses and I did most 2-3 times and rode rides and saw shows. Of course, it doesn't rain in SoCal il September!

Any specific questions?
Sorry to hear that hope you had a good trip:)

Figments Friend

Yes. One key difference between it and the competition, which is why UNI is kicking some serious Mouse tail in the O-Town theme parks wars.

To see how fast Potter 2.0 and Transformers are going up (oh, and let me toss in here that I got to experience Despicable Me for the first time and, much like Disney's Star Tours redo, it impressed me a lot ... so much better than the crap it replaced!) well, the only thing Disney builds that fast are timeshares for the tax benefits and instant profit.

Ah yes...those timeshares..alas, so sadly true.
:(

WDW1974

Original Poster
Sorry...let me explain. What I meant was how can Disney "catch up" with Universal at this point until it comes down to a major expansion? Let's say Cars Land is built and opens 2014/2015. At that point the rate Universal is going they will already have another phase of Potter in development and/or more.

I was trying to make a point that it does not seem Disney will be able to "catch up" in the current race until it comes to a much bigger expansion. SUre I said fifth gate but could have easily said world expansion but Orlando is where Universal is "winning" by taking market share from Disney.

Would you agree if a fifth gate is ever built it will be because of pressure of direct competition and the want to expand DVC? I am not one hoping for a fifth theme park because, as you know, they cannot even maintain the ones they have.

WDW1974, what do you think Disney's move would be if Universal expanded (another theme park and a few hotels) withinin the next 15 to 20 years?

A huge reason why DAK was even greenlit was because the folks down the street were developing IOA. Does anyone think that WDW needed a fourth gate at the time? When I worked in mouse marketing that there was a plan to announce a fifth gate shortly after DAK opened in 1998. I know I am new to this board but I do know a thing or two. I can tell you I am not a fanboi dreaming of Disney winning a ficticious fight over Universal based on who has the largest geodesic sphere or simulator ride. What I can tell you is that there IS a war based on market share. Losing or winning the market share battle is what my original post was based on...not some new technology for an attraction that is being cloned...blah, blah, blah. Sorry you did not take it serious...I was interested to see what you and others thought...guess I can wait.

A fifth gate will NEVER open. Never. Take it to the bank. Bet your grandma's life savings. Offer up any virgins. It won't happen. A fifth gate would be a disaster for Disney by any stretch ... by any metrics. People (especially Americans) have limited vacation time. The more Disney opens or UNI or SW, the more people have to make decisions. What happens is cannibalization of existing parks. Disney has seen this trend dating back to the opening of Disney-MGM. DAK crystalized it. So, let's throw the idea into the trash pile where it belongs.

As to your point of how Disney competes if UNI continues to up the ante (and they will, but I wouldn't bet on a third park ... water park, yes ... theme park, no) would be to simply spend and invest in the parks it has. There are four GREAT parks that Disney has neglected, stagnated and Walmarted. But they all have great bones and potential. All they need is some love and some money. NEXT GEN isn't that answer, btw.

Disney can only protect and grow market share by giving guests compelling reasons to visit WDW. They aren't doing so now. Worse, UNI and SW are. Mickey is waking up to the issue, but the question remains what the response will be.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Please don't yell at me..... I have been on here for years and do not post that often. I have always read posts by WDW1974 and Lee and have searched not only on here but google. Am I missing something? Are they employees of WDW, just in the know, ??? I know many look to hear your advice, suggestions, knowledge but I'm just curious and a bit confused. Again please don't yell. I don't mean to hijack the thread. Please answer if you don't mind and carry on :)

I have never been employed by the WDC. Neither has Lee ... but an old pal (we'll call him Merf) is convinced Lee is a disgruntled ex-Imagineer.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Sorry to hear that hope you had a good trip:)

Had a GREAT trip. Enjoyed all of it, despite the rain ... again, this is FL.

Our rainy season officially began on May 8th (well earlier than normal) and is expected to continue through October. Generally, fall arrives in Central/South Fla between Oct. 15th and 20th. Today, is the first day I haven't experienced rain since I was in SoCal, and there are dark rain clouds very close by as I type this.

Taylor

Had a GREAT trip. Enjoyed all of it, despite the rain ... again, this is FL.

Our rainy season officially began on May 8th (well earlier than normal) and is expected to continue through October. Generally, fall arrives in Central/South Fla between Oct. 15th and 20th. Today, is the first day I haven't experienced rain since I was in SoCal, and there are dark rain clouds very close by as I type this.
Yeah consistent rain is a bummer I know that to well (twisters ain't no picnic either;))

yoyoflamingo

There are four GREAT parks that Disney has neglected, stagnated and Walmarted. But they all have great bones and potential. All they need is some love and some money. NEXT GEN isn't that answer, btw.

It all boils down to this. It's amazing how simple the answer really is.

Figment1986

Any specific questions?

I was there that night after class, Their legions weren't allowed to play in the rain... (I hear this has changed somewhat with alterations in costumes and props for some of them on rainy nights) they came back out around 11, I had the chainsaw girls near penn and teller at 11:30

How did you like the feel of the IP houses versus the OP houses... (penn and teller doesn't fit either since it's satire and it always feels good)

I have never seen walking dead the show but it feels like direct copy of the material... too direct...

I love silent hill, never played the game or movie but i know the material...

Bill and ted, you didn't miss much... it's completely random and unlike recent years...

Cosmic Commando

A fifth gate will NEVER open. Never. Take it to the bank. Bet your grandma's life savings. Offer up any virgins. It won't happen. A fifth gate would be a disaster for Disney by any stretch ... by any metrics. People (especially Americans) have limited vacation time. The more Disney opens or UNI or SW, the more people have to make decisions. What happens is cannibalization of existing parks. Disney has seen this trend dating back to the opening of Disney-MGM. DAK crystalized it. So, let's throw the idea into the trash pile where it belongs.
Does your guarantee extend to the boutique park idea? That's really the only way I could see a fifth gate. How many concepts are there that couldn't find a place in one of the existing parks?

Disneybear

I agree with you from a Disney perspective. From a Universal perspective I can see why they would want to expand in the upcoming years to offer more inventory to keep guests on their property. BUT if Universal were to build a new park do you think Disney would just invest in current parks or would their hand be forced to build another gate? Petty games like this do exist in this theme park war. There is a reason Universal (and Sea World in the past) matches Disney ticket price increases within 24 hours and it is not because Universal wants to make more money. It is because people could feel that the Universal product is inferior because it is cheaper. The park expansion theory could be justified the same way.

And dont forget that Universals 2 parks may be about to become 1 linked park, with a day pass being valid for both parks (I think I am right in saying this). When the new Harry Potter area in Studios opens it will be linked to Islands via the Hogwarts Express ride.

So maybe Universal will give thought to a seperate 3rd gate in the future.

culturenthrills

I didn't stay at the BC Hilton. Just checked it out since I had never been there since it opened. It is beautiful and feels much more upscale than most WDW deluxe resorts.

It reminds me a lot of the Hilton at the OC Convention Center, which I stayed 11 nights at in '09 and was spectacular (all for $53 a night!)

I am sure 99% of the fan community wouldn't even think about it because it lacks the 'MAGIC' of those WDW resorts.

That OC Hilton is so nice. I have stayed there multiple times at around that price. Way nicer than many wdw deluxe resorts.

Mouse Detective

The Denny's around here are so dirty and nasty that I avoid them at all cost, however maybe the ones in O-Town are better. It looks like I'll be checking out the sundae on my next visit.

The Denny's in LBV is a typical Denny's but not dirty. Stays busy. I recall though that they experienced a steep decline in business when Pleasure Island closed. Came close to dropping the overnight shift.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
The Denny's in LBV is a typical Denny's but not dirty. Stays busy. I recall though that they experienced a steep decline in business when Pleasure Island closed. Came close to dropping the overnight shift.
Perkins took a HUGE hit after PI closed. They cut overnight staff, so then when they actually get busy they can't keep up. IHOP has become the go to place for CMs late night largely because htey still offer a discount. Not sure about vacationers though. Don't all good little mousekatears go to bed by 10? that's what DTD mgmt thinks!

cheezbat

Ya but where in the world would they put it???

There's a plot of land on the other side of Kirkman that houses a few offices and hotels...but I hear Universal has considered purchasing that land.

I wouldn't expect anything to come of that unless the current parks and hotels begin bursting at the seams.

cheezbat

Any specific questions?

I was there Thursday too! I was so unprepared for the weather though. (that's what I get for listening to my friend saying the rain would be gone by the time we got out to Orlando.)

I got soaked! I enjoyed 5 of the 7 houses. I plan on going back to see the Walking Dead, Dead End, the scare zones, and of course Bill and Ted.

'74...Were the two houses I missed good?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom