WDW Spirited Quickees

janoimagine

The above all sounds good.
Are there any rumors on what kind of Tony Baxter Attraction. Other than behind the new fantasyland, where else is there room for another large attraction or would it be replacing something else?

Tomorrowland by where the old tomorroland theater was for one.

PurpleRose

There were rumors a while ago about a Tron coaster in Tomorrowland. I think that has since been shifted to DL and made into an Iron Man ride. Would still like to see something like that for WDW.

Captain Chaos

I don't really care about the visual splendor because I really have no desire to see a land based on Avatar. Therefore, it would be awful for me if it got built (which, thankfully, is looking more unlikely at this point :)).

Now, if it does get built and you enjoy it, you would probably be happy about it, and you would definitely be commenting on these boards to that effect. I am doing just that, but for the opposite reason.

And I find it hard to believe that if Disney built a Potter-swatter style ride, the best ride EVER even beating Spiderman, that you'd stay away and not once go experience it... Yea, sorry, don't buy it... You may not like the movie, and that's fine... But to type on here you'd find an extremely themed land with a killer of an attraction (and I don't mean a Mission Space people killer) awful, yea... not buying it...

And if the land is built, and the land is extremely well themed with a great attraction or two, yes, I will be there to enjoy it and yes I will come on here and praise it... Just like if they built a land that was horribly designed with poor attractions, I'll be here to shout them down and say how horrible it is... But, I'd give it a chance first... Unlike the Avatar haters who already call this a failure WITHOUT seeing any concept art or knowing what is coming... you know, the same people who scream we shouldn't judge New Fantasyland without experiencing it first because, well, you cannot judge something based on concept art...

Ahem...

Just going off what we know on these boards.

Right, Mysterious island has been talked about on here for a few years now... We knew it was an idea they thought about, was close to being greenlit, and for some reason, wasn't... Your point?

I said no one here said it is Avatar or die and for all we know they have something else planned just in case Avatar does fall through... I said Lee, 74 or Martin has not come in here telling us that if Avatar fell through, there was a back up plan... Lee's post only says that Mysterious Island was a planned concept... Which, again, we already knew... However, M.r has said there are no other plans except for Avatar... So, I guess it is Avatar or stagnation... We get it, you prefer stagnation while about stagnation...

Lastly,

What is there to be proved right or wrong? I'm not trying to dodge the fact that I would prefer stagnation to Pandora - quite the contrary, in fact. Why does my unfavorable opinion of Pandora get more credibility if I append it with a preference for BK or MI? Neither concept has been seriously considered for DAK since the recession began. I've never explicitly stated what expansion I would prefer to see, but that is a rhetorical choice on my part to imply that I would prefer just about anything to Avatar. (For the record, I would love to get BK, MI, or some other additions/improvements to the existing lands if that makes you feel better.) A lot of old-school 80's EPCOT Center fans lament some of the changes that took place in Future World starting in the 90's. I'm not necessarily agreeing with them, but I want to draw an analogy to a common argument that some of those changes really damaged the theme and cohesiveness of Future World. Well, I think Pandora would do just that to DAK (on top of being just bad IP overall). Therefore, I think that DAK would be better off with nothing than Pandora.

This post sums up feelings pretty neatly:

My original post to you was not about you... it was about what other Avatar haters have said around here and elsewhere... That they rather have nothing instead of Pandora... Which you have backed up several times now, thus proving what I said right...

No one in their right mind should think stagnation is the best way to go over something that has a potential to be pretty darn good (again, if done right)... Some people are just so full of hatred that it clouds their mind and rational thinking...

hiptwinmama

Tomorrowland by where the old tomorroland theater was for one.
but Tony Baxter is known for doing very large attractions.... is there really enough room for a large attraction there? I'm not being sarcastic, I just didn't the the space there was big enough.

Baxter is know for HUGE attractions like

- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Opened in 1971)
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (Opened in 1979)
- Re-design of Disneyland's Fantasyland (Opened in 1982)
- The original Journey Into Imagination Pavilion (Opened in 1983)
- Captain EO (Opened in 1986)
- Star Tours (Opened in 1987)
- The Disney Gallery (Opened in 1987)
- Splash Mountain (Opened in 1989)
- Disneyland Paris (Opened in 1992)
- Indiana Jones Adventure (Opened in 1995)
- Re-design of Disneyland's Tomorrowland (Opened in 1998)
- Soarin' Over California (Opened in 2001)
- Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage at Disneyland (Opened in 2007)
- Re-design of Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty's Castle Walkthrough (Opened in 2008)
- Upgraded Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln (Opened in 2009)
- The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure (Opening in 2011)

doctornick

I've seen rumors around the internet that Tony Baxter might be working on projects related to either an Oz ride or something based on the Lone Ranger for Disneyland. Either of those accurate (and possible for Magic Kingdom)?

A Lone Ranger attraction would be a great fit in Frontierland, but is there any expansion pads there? I know there is space in Tommorrowland and Adventureland, but Frontierland looks pretty closed it to me. Could something be put behind and south of Splash outside the railway with a long entrance queue (a la Indy in DL)?

janoimagine

but Tony Baxter is known for doing very large attractions.... is there really enough room for a large attraction there? I'm not being sarcastic, I just didn't the the space there was big enough.
Yes. Plenty of space back their ... the old theater had plenty of room. I am very familiar with Tonys work. It just depends on whether Phil wants to give up his parking space now. Check it out on Google Maps.

CBOMB

Do you realise how arrogant you are now? Who of us here really knows what WDW1974's deal is? I find him to be quite a mystery, but he obviously has a number of sources for the business side of TWDC, not WDI, so why is it so unbelievable that he should have some business knowledge? And as long as you aren't certain that he is just a sad guy called Frank, dreaming of Disney and sitting in his basement somewhere in New Mexico, how do you know that he isn't someone whom Disney very much should want to keep as a customer?
That person sounds more teenybopper like than arrogant to me. If they only knew the scope of 74's business knowledge they would be listening rather than ranting.

You know in his original post in this thread Spirit alluded to the fact that he is not likely to admit to the fact that he truly is JT. Even though I think he desperately wants to come out of the closet.

Doesn't Frank live in a double wide in New Mexico?

Excellent trip report Spirit. I heard something else from my inside source that I didn't notice in your report. They said that Meg Crofton is negotiating with Lee, and you to replace the Dapper Dans. Can you confirm this?

FrankLapidus

Want to bet? :) You couldn't convince me to go anywhere near Pandora if it were ever built. (Maybe if you paid me...a lot)

I do not like the IP to begin with, so "the potential to pretty darn good" is lost on me. But I don't begrudge your enjoyment of a potential Pandora land. Look at it this way - that's one less person to wait behind in line for the Super Pandora E-Ticket, right? That should make you and others who like Pandora happy!

I second all of this, your viewpoint is pretty much a mirror image of mine.

M.rudolf

74 from what I gather is connected. That's the great thing about the net we are all anonymous. You only know who a person is if they tell you. That's also the bad thing. You can be a ghost if you like or your very own superstar. Enjoy it while it lasts. One day the net may not be the Wild West.

M.rudolf

I second all of this, your viewpoint is pretty much a mirror image of mine.
You guys would be in line right next to me if it was triple a, we all talk trash but if it was getting rave reviews you know you'd have to check it out. I won't second guess Cameron when it comes to a project of any kind, I may not like it but at least it's interesting. It's kinda like a car wreck you have to look at least once

DocMcHulk

THere were rumors of something about Tom Sawyer Island if my memory is correct. Or, Spirit mentioned an area behind Main Street (probably near Tomorrowland)

FrankLapidus

You guys would be in line right next to me if it was triple a, we all talk trash but if it was getting rave reviews you know you'd have to check it out. I won't second guess Cameron when it comes to a project of any kind, I may not like it but at least it's interesting. It's kinda like a car wreck you have to look at least once

I can guarantee you that I would 100% never set foot in Avatarland. I've been against it from the start, I've made my feelings about the film, the land and James Cameron pretty clear on more than one occasion so I would not be hypocritical enough to stand in line for an attraction I've bemoaned and said I don't want for the past year. I don't begrudge anyone who would stand in line, I'm sure I'm in the minority with my own viewpoint, but I usually have two weeks at WDW each year and I won't waste a second of it in a land I have no interest in based on a property I have zero affection for. Avatarland is definitely one car crash I have no interest in looking at, not even once ;).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom