WDW Picture of the Day Thread (Part 5)

hpyhnt 1000

Epcot-Thanksgiving2008202.jpg

°O°Joe

I have an opinion to state. Please note that it is my OPINION, related to my personal preference for photos. Some of you are over processing your photos. PERSONALLY, I'd rather my photos not look like a 1960's post card. Some of the photos posted lately look like they belong more in the magically manipulated photos of the day thread. You've all done some outstanding manipulative work on your photos to get them to look real, yet not real at the same time. I think you should showcase your work on that thread. What you did took work, what happened with some of the photos on that thread was that someone clicked one button. Background: I like my paintings as I like my photos...real. I'm all for processing if it makes it look more REAL...hiding imperfections, brightening the photos, enhancing the color to hide natural lighting deficiencies. I'm not a big fan of making the photo or painting look fake. So that is why I stated this OPINION. Feel free to disagree with it and ignore it.

Please, no offense. But I'm a little confused by your statement. Are you saying that by adjusting highlights, shadows, color balance and saturation to your liking is over processing? And what makes a photo look "real" to you? Dark shadows and blown highlights? I'll be the first to admit that I like the dynamic range and color saturation a little (or lot, depending on how you look at it) on the high side, but is that over processing? How is it any different than using certain types of films and filters and dark room processing methods of the old days?

I have to disagree with you - the images on the "magically manipulated" thread are much different than the photos I see on this thread. Photography is an artistic expression for a lot of people. I know you said you were simply stating your opinion, but in my opinion, you have to be careful when criticizing people's art. Like other forms of art, people like their photography many different ways.

Gorjus

I agree. I LOVE photoshop and love playing around with my pictures but there is a Manipulated Photo of the Day thread for them.

Actually, I still think those photos are more than welcome in this thread. This thread is all kinds of photos. Manipulated photos concentrates on that. Character Photo Thread concentrates on that. Extinct Attraction Thread concentrates on that. But all those photos are welcome on this general photo of the day thread.

And what makes a photo look "real" to you?

but in my opinion, you have to be careful when criticizing people's art. Like other forms of art, people like their photography many different ways.

If I look at a photo and say, "Wow! That person used just the right camera settings and cropping and composition and got a fabulous photo of that spot." That is a realistic photo to me. Even if they rubber stamped out an ECV and upped the color a little. If I look at a photo and say, "Wow, this person is really good at their photoshop techniques." Or, "Wow, that looks like a post card from the 60's." That isn't a realistic photo to me. It doesn't mean it isn't good, just not as much to my liking...which I did state the first time.

And in no way did I criticize anyone's art. In fact I praised it. I just stated that it wasn't my cup of tea and I THOUGHT it was over the top.

Exceptions to the rule: making one part of the photo real clear and sharp and in focus, and the rest of the photo has a slight blur to it. I love that effect.

°O°Joe

Actually, I still think those photos are more than welcome in this thread. This thread is all kinds of photos. Manipulated photos concentrates on that. Character Photo Thread concentrates on that. Extinct Attraction Thread concentrates on that. But all those photos are welcome on this general photo of the day thread.

If I look at a photo and say, "Wow! That person used just the right camera settings and cropping and composition and got a fabulous photo of that spot." That is a realistic photo to me. Even if they rubber stamped out an ECV and upped the color a little. If I look at a photo and say, "Wow, this person is really good at their photoshop techniques." Or, "Wow, that looks like a post card from the 60's." That isn't a realistic photo to me. It doesn't mean it isn't good, just not as much to my liking...which I did state the first time.

And in no way did I criticize anyone's art. In fact I praised it. I just stated that it wasn't my cup of tea and I THOUGHT it was over the top.

Exceptions to the rule: making one part of the photo real clear and sharp and in focus, and the rest of the photo has a slight blur to it. I love that effect.

Fair enough... but you did say "Some of you are over processing your photos" which was what got me. To me that is in fact criticizing. Over processing to you might be under processing to another. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
PS: I ran into WDWFigment and his beautiful fiance in WSC Canada yesterday.

And we saw you again the following day in front of the Castle! I'll try to get a picture processed and posted when we get home tonight.

As for the processing discussion, I agree with both sides, although I can see where the 'heated' part of the discussion arises. When tone mapping an image, it is difficult to make a simple distinction as to whether you have crossed the line from simply improving overall balance and colors of a photo into giving the photo a 'fantasy-like' quality. Sometimes it's a tough call to make, but ultimately it is up to the poster to make the determination. Only they know their intent (in processing), and so only they can make the subjective determination.

Those borderline distinctions aside, there are certainly instances where posters place "heavily manipulated" pictures in this thread, but then again, miscategorization is pretty common on forums, generally.

Gorjus

And we saw you again the following day in front of the Castle! I'll try to get a picture processed and posted when we get home tonight.

I'd love to see that photo you were taking of the DF (dear fiance'). You camera looked like it was pointed at her and all the hub Christmas decorations. Or, it could have been a photo of Tomorrowland you were getting. I'd also love to see the photo you took of the storyteller in Canada. Did you happen to try to see the final show of Celebrate the Season? Did you happen to get a photo of all the characters on stage when they announced a photo op and then shot off the fireworks? If so, I'd love to send a copy of that photo to one of the cast members. It was great seeing you again.

By the way, when I first saw your DF in Canada, I knew I knew her and was trying to figure out which princess she was friends with. Then I realized who she was. If the two of you ever decide to come work for WDW, she would be hired by entertainment as a look-a-like in a heart beat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom