News WDW Food and Beverage Price Increases 10/1/2019

tirian

Because Disney can. Other option is to go off property to eat fast food and come back to the park. Not for me. My time is valuable.
Why would you think that only fast food is an option? I get that leaving the parks to go outside to a restaurant ( fast food or otherwise) does take time but it can be worth it. When I was down in May I left the property to go to dine outside and catch a great local band. I had a great time and do plan on doing it again!! Marie

It’s certainly easier in California.

tirian

Believe it or not, there are people on this board who don't think this is a valid argument.

I can't explain their reasoning, but they will still insist up and down that no, this exact argument is wrong and doesn't make sense. :rolleyes:
Either defending their employer or suffering from a psychological condition that demands absolute loyalty to a corporate conglomerate...

Lilofan

Nonsense. Luck, inheritance, education level (which is not necessarily controllable) and other things play just as big if not bigger parts. And being poor does not, and will never, mean you are automatically stupid. Being rich does not necessarily mean you are intelligent.
Being poor is one thing. Remaining poor is a personal choice on the greatest country on earth. Long time in the stock market is not luck. Ask Buffett. In regards to inheritance, one is the fool that spends it all, one is wiser to manage it and let it grow. Being rich is one thing, REMAINING rich, that's the one that requires intelligence.

Last edited:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I made a very similar point recently. I played in a charity golf outing in one of the more prestigious NJ country clubs this summer. The topic of DisneyWorld came up since the group I was in all had kids and have been.

Everyone made the same points, keep your hand on your wallet or the mouse will swipe it. These are guys making well into 6 and even 7 figures. Money isn’t an issue. But value is. And to a man, they all felt ripped off. That’s not good.
Eh, on the flip side, I have friends that do very well and convenience is the #1 priority for them, so spending $400 plus a night is fine if they can take a monorail (Poly/GF,Contem.) or walk (Yacht/Beach Clubs) to the parks. They aren't lugging a backpack full of food around all day to save a few bucks. Value is a tricky thing because its all how you perceive it.

Incomudro

One thing I do on every trip is to go into whatever marketplace the Disney hotel I'm staying at has, and buy milk, cereal, bread, peanut butter, bananas, yogurt etc.
Sure the prices are more expensive than at a grocery store - but it's less expensive to purchase something like this to eat in the room before we hit the parks (or between) than to feed the family full Disney breakfasts and lunches for seven days.

ImperfectPixie

One thing I do on every trip is to go into whatever marketplace the Disney hotel I'm staying at has, and buy milk, cereal, bread, peanut butter, bananas, yogurt etc.
Sure the prices are more expensive than at a grocery store - but it's less expensive to purchase something like this to eat in the room before we hit the parks (or between) than to feed the family full Disney breakfasts and lunches for seven days.
The amount of snacks alone my boys want in a single day would cause us to go broke if we bought them all in the parks.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Eh, on the flip side, I have friends that do very well and convenience is the #1 priority for them, so spending $400 plus a night is fine if they can take a monorail (Poly/GF,Contem.) or walk (Yacht/Beach Clubs) to the parks. They aren't lugging a backpack full of food around all day to save a few bucks. Value is a tricky thing because its all how you perceive it.
I don’t understand how our posts relate.

SirWillow

Being poor is one thing. Remaining poor is a personal choice on the greatest country on earth. Long time in the stock market is not luck. Ask Buffett. In regards to inheritance, one is the fool that spends it all, one is wiser to manage it and let it grow. Being rich is one thing, REMAINING rich, that's the one that requires intelligence.

I hope that you never experience some of the things I've seen with people I've had to help through our church and other ministries. I've seen far to many lose jobs, homes and property through no fault of their own and then not be able to get back on their feet again. Things that weren't their choice and beyond their control that put them in a situation that they couldn't get out of. And I've seen it time and time again. Companies going under, others cutting their labor force and letting people go; one of our banks went under and in the process ruined multiple mortgages that caused multiple foreclosures. I could go on and on.

Not everyone who is "poor" and can't get out of it is there by personal choice or lack of effort. Perhaps getting out a bit and doing some work in shelters, recovery centers, abuse homes, or other charities to the poor would give you a different perspective.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I don’t understand how our posts relate.
You were talking about how value and how some of those 6 to 7 figure salaried people said to basically watch your wallet and how the mouse is there to take your money. I had an opposing view and posted it.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
You were talking about how value and how some of those 6 to 7 figure salaried people said to basically watch your wallet and how the mouse is there to take your money. I had an opposing view and posted it.
The opposing view is not, “people like paying for convenience.”

I wasn’t speaking about convenience at all.

Wdw is pricing itself as if it’s a luxury vacation destination. Except it’s not that. It’s a theme park resort, and quite honestly, moving ever closer to being an amusement park complex.

Paying for luxury and convenience is great. If you are getting those things. In Disney World, you are paying a premium price for sub premium products. You pay $5 for an artisanal water, ok. You pay $5 for a Dasani, ehhh. $50pp for a solid meal, no problem, $60 for a food trough? Eh....

That’s the point I was making. Not that the Poly shouldn’t cost more then All Star Sports.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
The opposing view is not, “people like paying for convenience.”

I wasn’t speaking about convenience at all.

Wdw is pricing itself as if it’s a luxury vacation destination. Except it’s not that. It’s a theme park resort, and quite honestly, moving ever closer to being an amusement park complex.

Paying for luxury and convenience is great. If you are getting those things. In Disney World, you are paying a premium price for sub premium products. You pay $5 for an artisanal water, ok. You pay $5 for a Dasani, ehhh. $50pp for a solid meal, no problem, $60 for a food trough? Eh....

That’s the point I was making. Not that the Poly shouldn’t cost more then All Star Sports.
I'll just go ahead and un quote you then, I misinterpreted what you were saying 👍

Last edited:

The_Jobu

So, the Enchanted Rose has the $25 cocktails, but they come with a little skit. But the margaritas are $19. Is that a normal price around the parks or Orlando? I haven't been in a while.

wannabeBelle

The_Jobu

wannabeBelle

So $13 gets you the drink and $24 gets you the mug and the drink. Seems like they're really pushing the limits of people's tolerances for $19 margaritas.
My drink did not come with skit but my friends, a married couple ordered the Uh-Oh which did come with a skit. It is a drink meant for two people to share so the pricing still seems in line with the individual drink pricing. Marie

The_Jobu

My drink did not come with skit but my friends, a married couple ordered the Uh-Oh which did come with a skit. It is a drink meant for two people to share so the pricing still seems in line with the individual drink pricing. Marie

Sorry, I meant the $25 cocktails at Enchanted Rose come with a skit. They wheel a cart to your table and have a little story as they mix the ingredients together for your drink. And from what I see, they're definetely not big enough for two.

awoogala

They are perhaps the only park operator that has no food restrictions. Doesn’t mean it would last forever...but rather than combat bad PR, they’d just extract it everywhere else.
At satuli, they won't let you into the seating area without a tray of food from their establishment. I can't see how Disney would be ok with anyone eating outside food (other than baby food, generally), because the legality/liability of outside food in restaurants has been a big thing for a long time. Just because some people have snuck their food in a quick service and none of the cast members have stopped them, doesn't mean it's "allowed", just means those cast members weren't in the mood for a fight. Obviously, eating on a park bench isn't the same thing. I'm sure Disney will soon start requiring a food allergy to bring food in, just like most other amusement parks these days.
as per Universal (and typical for most theme/amusement parks I've been to):
Acceptable items:
  • Bottled water (maximum 2 liters)
  • Small snacks
  • Any food required for special dietary needs
  • Any food required for medical purposes and medically-indicated nutritional supplements
  • Baby food/baby formula
  • Soft-sided insulated bags no larger than 8.5” wide x 6” high x 6” deep

awoogala

That's more than my wife makes as a 14 year teacher. Now we can argue neither is paid their value, but comparatively, yes that is enough.
every shift is not the same. A Friday or a Saturday, at a higher end restaurant, is when many servers make the bulk of their money for the week. Add in a few shifts of lunch, and it's usually not a consistent amount all week. $200 for a "good" shift, full tables- is terrible. When I served at a chain restaurant, $200-300 was a good friday night- 20 years ago. But I could often make $10 -50 on a lunch shift. You have to average out the week's worth of shifts.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
At satuli, they won't let you into the seating area without a tray of food from their establishment. I can't see how Disney would be ok with anyone eating outside food (other than baby food, generally), because the legality/liability of outside food in restaurants has been a big thing for a long time. Just because some people have snuck their food in a quick service and none of the cast members have stopped them, doesn't mean it's "allowed", just means those cast members weren't in the mood for a fight. Obviously, eating on a park bench isn't the same thing. I'm sure Disney will soon start requiring a food allergy to bring food in, just like most other amusement parks these days.
as per Universal (and typical for most theme/amusement parks I've been to):
Acceptable items:
  • Bottled water (maximum 2 liters)
  • Small snacks
  • Any food required for special dietary needs
  • Any food required for medical purposes and medically-indicated nutritional supplements
  • Baby food/baby formula
  • Soft-sided insulated bags no larger than 8.5” wide x 6” high x 6” deep
Disney doesn’t restrict food. It’s not a matter of “sneaking”. That may not last forever...but it’s a battle they have not chosen to fight

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom