News WDW Food and Beverage Price Increases 10/1/2019

awoogala

Disney doesn’t restrict food. It’s not a matter of “sneaking”. That may not last forever...but it’s a battle they have not chosen to fight
yes they do. Maybe not at all restaurants yet, or only at busy ones. But I have seen Satuli cateen restrict guests that had outside food- only trays bought there allowed you a seat. Had a rope up, would only allow access to people with a tray of food from that restaurant. Same with Cosmic Rays on a busy day- they had Cast members telling people "no seat without a tray- no reserving for someone in line, no outside food" . So it's not consistent, but it does happen.

ImperfectPixie

yes they do. Maybe not at all restaurants yet, or only at busy ones. But I have seen Satuli cateen restrict guests that had outside food- only trays bought there allowed you a seat. Had a rope up, would only allow access to people with a tray of food from that restaurant. Same with Cosmic Rays on a busy day- they had Cast members telling people "no seat without a tray- no reserving for someone in line, no outside food" . So it's not consistent, but it does happen.
I've seen it happen, too.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I've seen it happen, too.
Ok...but my comments up thread were about bringing in food into the park. So that’s the confusion.

If they want to limit seating...does that really matter? I guess I don’t see the issue there.

tirian

The opposing view is not, “people like paying for convenience.”

I wasn’t speaking about convenience at all.

Wdw is pricing itself as if it’s a luxury vacation destination. Except it’s not that. It’s a theme park resort, and quite honestly, moving ever closer to being an amusement park complex.

Paying for luxury and convenience is great. If you are getting those things. In Disney World, you are paying a premium price for sub premium products. You pay $5 for an artisanal water, ok. You pay $5 for a Dasani, ehhh. $50pp for a solid meal, no problem, $60 for a food trough? Eh....

That’s the point I was making. Not that the Poly shouldn’t cost more then All Star Sports.
Concise and excellent post

BromBones

The opposing view is not, “people like paying for convenience.”

I wasn’t speaking about convenience at all.

Wdw is pricing itself as if it’s a luxury vacation destination. Except it’s not that. It’s a theme park resort, and quite honestly, moving ever closer to being an amusement park complex.

Paying for luxury and convenience is great. If you are getting those things. In Disney World, you are paying a premium price for sub premium products. You pay $5 for an artisanal water, ok. You pay $5 for a Dasani, ehhh. $50pp for a solid meal, no problem, $60 for a food trough? Eh....

That’s the point I was making. Not that the Poly shouldn’t cost more then All Star Sports.

Agreed. If the food was 5 star quality across the board, especially in the restaurants I can see charging higher prices, but as the prices have increased the food quality has decreased.
Back in 2003 eating at the restaurant in the Italian pavilion was amazing. Now...It honestly is only a few small steps above Olive Garden..

BromBones

The food prices are just another reason why my wife and I drive down every year, then we go to Sam's club and Walmart and stock up for the week.

Last year we stayed at an off property hotel and the prices was $150 per night basic rate. The rooms were big and the hotel was quiet. No jet engine toilet flushes. No doors slamming shut. No clattering of rolling suitcases or kids running outside your door.
They even offer a complementary breakfast (eggs, bacon or sausage, bagels, cereal, muffins and Mickey waffles) every morning.
And unlike the Disney resorts they offer a veterans discount.
And we didn't have to pay a daily fee for parking as well.

Disney staff always say they charge for parking because "that's the industry standard now", but on our drive down and staying at two different hotels in Florida before we got to our off Disney property...both hotels (and many others we checked out) did not charge for parking.

Disney's greed is getting the best of them.

unmitigated disaster

Charging for parking is probably the industry standard for resorts. While, yeah the Holiday Inn Express might charge for parking at Fisherman's Wharf might charge because it's in space-pinched San Francisco, it doesn't in Greenville, Ohio. Were a resort to be located in Greenville (which has a truly excellent little museum), it would most likely charge a parking fee, or do like my hotel and bundle it into the resort fee.

BromBones

Charging for parking is probably the industry standard for resorts. While, yeah the Holiday Inn Express might charge for parking at Fisherman's Wharf might charge because it's in space-pinched San Francisco, it doesn't in Greenville, Ohio. Were a resort to be located in Greenville (which has a truly excellent little museum), it would most likely charge a parking fee, or do like my hotel and bundle it into the resort fee.

There are some hotels in the Disney resort area that charge for parking but many do not.
Disney makes a lot of money or parking at the parks. The only reason that makes sense as to why they decided to start charging for parking at the hotels is to dissuade guests from renting cars at driving their own vehicles so they are required to use Disney Magical Express or Disney transportation.
That also keeps them on the property so they can’t leave and get food or groceries off campus.
Using the “industry standard” as an excuse does not pass the smell test.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
There are some hotels in the Disney resort area that charge for parking but many do not.
Disney makes a lot of money or parking at the parks. The only reason that makes sense as to why they decided to start charging for parking at the hotels is to dissuade guests from renting cars at driving their own vehicles so they are required to use Disney Magical Express or Disney transportation.
That also keeps them on the property so they can’t leave and get food or groceries off campus.
Using the “industry standard” as an excuse does not pass the smell test.
This is one upcharge that, for the life of me, I can't understand. I just don't see the justification for this. There's no shortage of land/space at WDW, parking lots at resorts aren't covered, there are no security guards patrolling the parking lots (as far as I know), and it's not like people are going to park at a resort to go to a non Disney owned business.

Out of all the recent price increases, like in food and beverages at WDW, this one still bothers me.

Lilofan

Yes, food and beverages prices rising... In London and Paris there are " pay " toilets throughout the city. Hopefully Disney does not catch on to this idea.

willtravel

This is one upcharge that, for the life of me, I can't understand. I just don't see the justification for this. There's no shortage of land/space at WDW, parking lots at resorts aren't covered, there are no security guards patrolling the parking lots (as far as I know), and it's not like people are going to park at a resort to go to a non Disney owned business.

Out of all the recent price increases, like in food and beverages at WDW, this one still bothers me.

I would like to know if this charge has dissuade anyone from staying on property? Or people just don't care if there is a fee? One timers might not know how prior it was free. Just wondering.

matt9112

Disney doesn’t restrict food. It’s not a matter of “sneaking”. That may not last forever...but it’s a battle they have not chosen to fight

Why cant i just bring uncrustables all day i can buy a box for the price disney charges for one. Its sealed and identical to what they sell cant argue safety there. Look i dont actually do this but my point is how absurd you guys sound like somebody not getting hosed is a thief. A rebel some kind of rule breaking fear mongering abomination.

matt9112

I would like to know if this charge has dissuade anyone from staying on property? Or people just don't care if there is a fee? One timers might not know how prior it was free. Just wondering.

Im currently going through a scenario now and once the dust settles i will share my story. Im not going to shoot myself in the foot here.

ImperfectPixie

Why cant i just bring uncrustables all day i can buy a box for the price disney charges for one. Its sealed and identical to what they sell cant argue safety there. Look i dont actually do this but my point is how absurd you guys sound like somebody not getting hosed is a thief. A rebel some kind of rule breaking fear mongering abomination.
The earlier conversation was about sneaking your own food into a quick-service restaurant to take advantage of the AC, even though you have zero intention of purchasing food at that location and may be displacing people who DID buy food at that location. No one is questioning that bringing food into the parks themselves is allowed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m not against you on this...like at all.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The earlier conversation was about sneaking your own food into a quick-service restaurant to take advantage of the AC, even though you have zero intention of purchasing food at that location and may be displacing people who DID buy food at that location. No one is questioning that bringing food into the parks themselves is allowed.
I think it’s crass to block people from using open tables for any reason.

Disney should not be in that game. If I want to fly spirit airlines...I l know where to find them

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom