News WDW Food and Beverage Price Increases 10/1/2019

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I actually believe that a ban of food would be step 2

Step 1 is worse: they see a drop in revenue from food...so they tweak the hotel, ticket and merchandise prices upward to compensate.

So then you’re paying as much...and soon more...and you’re wasting your time at Publix.

Guess who wins? Again?

LSLS

@LSLS is saying that you're "it's not the real world, it's Disney World" doesn't hold water because Disney is actively adopting policies of resorts that exist in the real world.

Not just adopting, they are actively admitting to doing so to "Bring Disney in line with standards across the travel industry." And I'm supposed to believe that they would never do something in the parks to come in line with other parks cause they aren't the real world?

Lilofan

@LSLS is saying that you're "it's not the real world, it's Disney World" doesn't hold water because Disney is actively adopting policies of resorts that exist in the real world.

In direct response to you...not likely. Disney has been showing us more and more that guest experience doesn't matter one iota if they are able to increase the bottom line. Those stocks you like to brag about owning so much? Stockholders and the board of directors are EXACTLY why we're seeing exorbitant price hikes across the board. I would think those stocks you own would enable you to afford to actually buy food at the restaurants you choose to dine in. :rolleyes:
You have no clue on how other families choose to lead their lives. Read the book "The Millionaire next door". It will open up your eyes instead of making your broad assumptions. 😉.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

Not just adopting, they are actively admitting to doing so to "Bring Disney in line with standards across the travel industry." And I'm supposed to believe that they would never do something in the parks to come in line with other parks cause they aren't the real world?
The mental gymnastics being performed in order to justify behavior that wouldn't be okay anywhere else in the world are staggering.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You have no clue on how other families choose to lead their lives. Read the book "The Millionaire next door". It will open up your eyes instead of your broad assumptions. 😉

Is that like when mitt Romney stood at a country club in god awful white pants and was caught on camera saying: “there are two types of people: millionaires and future millionaires”

??

🤪

ImperfectPixie

You have no clue on how other families choose to lead their lives. Read the book "The Millionaire next door". It will open up your eyes.
Not likely. Also, I'm only going by what you have stated yourself on multiple threads in this public forum.

I know someone who is a millionaire who brags about buying knock-off suits at discount stores, then sneaking into Brooks Brothers and cutting the tags off of their suits to sew them into the knock-offs. It disgusts me.

And no...I would never bring my own food into a restaurant...regardless of where it is or if it wasn't openly stated as a rule.

Lilofan

Except they're servers and are therefore paid less than minimum wage with tips expected to make up the difference. And for the level of service and quality that you seem to be expecting them to provide at those prices, shouldn't they be making more regardless? Or should they be paid slave wages regardless of how much you're paying because its just a menial service-level job?
Our last vacation, we overheard the waiter telling his assistant all he made was $200 the night before. Cry me a river and pass the kleenex...

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I didn't know people were allowed to bring full meals into the parks, and that occupying a table inside a restaurant to eat it was ok. I've seen families with their "home" brought snacks sitting around on benches, etc. I don't have a problem with that, I totally get it. To say that Disney food isn't cheap, it's a complete understatement.

Having said that, I don't think I'd be very happy if, after paying for an overpriced burger inside a park, I couldn't get a table to eat it because of that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I didn't know people were allowed to bring full meals into the parks, and that occupying a table inside a restaurant to eat it was ok. I've seen families with their "home" brought snacks sitting around on benches, etc. I don't have a problem with that, I totally get it. To say that Disney food isn't cheap, it's a complete understatement.

Having said that, I don't think I'd be very happy if, after paying for an overpriced burger inside a park, I couldn't get a table to eat it because of that.
They are perhaps the only park operator that has no food restrictions. Doesn’t mean it would last forever...but rather than combat bad PR, they’d just extract it everywhere else.

Andrew M

The difference is the prep and quality...and no princesses...

“Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?”

I'd take the steak at California Grill or Yachtsman any day over Smith and Wollensky, that place is completely overrated. Delmonicos or The Capital Grill is the place to go for a good steak, outside of Peter Lugers. I've said it before, but being used to NYC prices, I'm fine with the price and quality of the food at that price for our 'go-to places' at Disney. My wife and I are usually more excited for the restaurants than the rides. That being said, we go to my parent's house out in Pennsylvania and are shocked how cheap some of the food is out there, so I guess it's all based on what you're used to paying at home.

DDP has been a bait and switch for fools since circa 2010

The standard dining plan is pretty easy to come out ahead on with some simple planning and math. We always try to maximize character meals with the kids, since one buffet pretty much equals one day of the kid's dining plan, so you then essentially get their QS and snacks for free for that day. Then save the majority of the snack credits for use during Food & Wine, or whatever the current Epcot festival is for $5+ snacks. Especially now that you can get a $10-15 beer or mixed drink thrown into every QS and TS credit, it's great, usually end up $100-$150 ahead.

I'm sure there are some people that do not use it wisely, especially the QS plan, but in general it's not the automatic waste of money that alot of people make it out to be.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'd take the steak at California Grill or Yachtsman any day over Smith and Wollensky, that place is completely overrated. Delmonicos or The Capital Grill is the place to go for a good steak, outside of Peter Lugers. I've said it before, but being used to NYC prices, I'm fine with the price and quality of the food at that price for our 'go-to places' at Disney. My wife and I are usually more excited for the restaurants than the rides. That being said, we go to my parent's house out in Pennsylvania and are shocked how cheap some of the food is out there, so I guess it's all based on what you're used to paying at home.

The standard dining plan is pretty easy to come out ahead on with some simple planning and math. We always try to maximize character meals with the kids, since one buffet pretty much equals one day of the kid's dining plan, so you then essentially get their QS and snacks for free for that day. Then save the majority of the snack credits for use during Food & Wine, or whatever the current Epcot festival is for $5+ snacks. Especially now that you can get a $10-15 beer or mixed drink thrown into every QS and TS credit, it's great, usually end up $100-$150 ahead.

I'm sure there are some people that do not use it wisely, especially the QS plan, but in general it's not the automatic waste of money that alot of people make it out to be.

Lugers is the place.

Yachtsman is frankly bad...however...they have the most incompetent prep of steak I’ve ever seen.
It’s hard to debate nyc prices vs wdw...it’s like “rip off o Rama”

I’ll disagree on the dining plan...you’re using $50 buffets to make a case?

The dining plan was designed to completely disrupt the expectations for food and dining and it’s worked like a charm. The menu prices and the dining plan feed each other and that had no relationship to the food quality or value.

We’re way over the Rubicon there

Andrew M

Lugers is the place.

Yachtsman is frankly bad...however...they have the most incompetent prep of steak I’ve ever seen.
It’s hard to debate nyc prices vs wdw...it’s like “rip off o Rama”

I’ll disagree on the dining plan...you’re using $50 buffets to make a case?

The dining plan was designed to completely disrupt the expectations for food and dining and it’s worked like a charm. The menu prices and the dining plan feed each other and that had no relationship to the food quality or value.

We’re way over the Rubicon there

We honestly haven't been to the Yachtsman in a while, and I heard it's gone down in quality lately.. that's a shame.

Yes, $50 for Ohana is expensive, but I personally don't think it's absolutely outrageous given the quality of food & drinks, atmosphere and entertainment for the kids. Obviously that is completely open to interpretation based on taste, perceived value, price of living at home, etc, but I don't think the restaurant prices have reached the 'complete ripoff' level like they have with some of the Dessert Parties.

I look at dining at Disney, especially while staying on property without a car, like being at a ballpark. Yeah the $7 hot dog and $15 beer is probably 3-4x the price of what you would pay had you bought the food and beer and stayed home, but you're already there, could definitely use a beer, and you've pretty much factored it into the cost of the game before you left the house.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We honestly haven't been to the Yachtsman in a while, and I heard it's gone down in quality lately.. that's a shame.

Yes, $50 for Ohana is expensive, but I personally don't think it's absolutely outrageous given the quality of food & drinks, atmosphere and entertainment for the kids. Obviously that it completely open to interpretation based on taste, perceived value, price of living at home, etc, but I don't think the restaurant prices have reached the 'complete ripoff' level like they have with some of the Dessert Parties.

I look at dining at Disney, especially while staying on property without a car, like being at a ballpark. Yeah the $7 hot dog and $15 beer is probably 3-4x the price of what you would pay had you bought the food and beer and stayed home, but you're already there, could definitely use a beer, and you've pretty much factored it into the cost of the game before you left the house.
I know met games seem like they last a week...but it’s only a painful 3 hours 😉

Monorail_Orange

Yes, $50 for Ohana is expensive, but I personally don't think it's absolutely outrageous given the quality of food & drinks, atmosphere and entertainment for the kids. Obviously that it completely open to interpretation based on taste, perceived value, price of living at home, etc, but I don't think the restaurant prices have reached the 'complete ripoff' level like they have with some of the Dessert Parties.

Went to the Yachtsman a few years ago. It was fine, but not an experience I've felt I need to repeat.

I generally agree with you about Ohana, but the last time we ate there (last year) I was very disappointed in the dismal quality of the steak they were serving. Every piece was riddled through with grizzle/tendon/tough connective tissue, making it largely undesirable (if not down right inedible). In many years eating there prior, I have never had that experience...and I even tried to wait and get another piece from a completely different skewer to see if it was just the first one...it was not. We skipped it this past year as result. Might give them another go this coming year, or might not. The point is it used to be a "must-do" and now given the increased expense and lowered quality, it's not any more for us.

On your last point, it's valid, but there is a point where guests will find Disney's offerings too expensive and find alternatives.

wannabeBelle

Went to the Yachtsman a few years ago. It was fine, but not an experience I've felt I need to repeat.

I generally agree with you about Ohana, but the last time we ate there (last year) I was very disappointed in the dismal quality of the steak they were serving. Every piece was riddled through with grizzle/tendon/tough connective tissue, making it largely undesirable (if not down right inedible). In many years eating there prior, I have never had that experience...and I even tried to wait and get another piece from a completely different skewer to see if it was just the first one...it was not. We skipped it this past year as result. Might give them another go this coming year, or might not. The point is it used to be a "must-do" and now given the increased expense and lowered quality, it's not any more for us.

On your last point, it's valid, but there is a point where guests will find Disney's offerings too expensive and find alternatives.
One of my close friends had the same experience at Ohana's as you did and will not go there again due to the low quality of the food. We have eaten there a bunch of times over the years and only in the last two years or so did she have this issue. I hope it turns around as it was a nice offering. Marie

Monorail_Orange

One of my close friends had the same experience at Ohana's as you did and will not go there again due to the low quality of the food. We have eaten there a bunch of times over the years and only in the last two years or so did she have this issue. I hope it turns around as it was a nice offering. Marie
I'm sorry your friend had the same experience. Ohana used to be my very favorite WDW restaurant. I also hope it turns around, because it is no longer a good value at that price point and not being able to enjoy some of the feature items.

Andrew M

I know met games seem like they last a week...but it’s only a painful 3 hours 😉

Haha, Ya Gotta Believe!

That's surprising, we've had nothing but great experiences at Ohana, for both breakfast and dinner. We had similar thoughts about Biergarten last time, nothing specific, but nothing really spectacular either after being a must-do for years, so we're gonna skip it on the upcoming trip.

I completely agree with you where there definitely is a tipping point somewhere, and I'm sure they've already reached it for some people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom