WDW decides to lose money

madge

mousermerf said:
Big wrong assumption: October is "off" season this year.

Because of the free-dining, halloween party, and food and wine festival it is entirely the opposite. Not to mention the websites everyone reads (yes, lots more folks read than post) hear it was the "slow" season. Look for the #1 recommended time of year to visit on these boards and others. October comes up constantly. Finding space anywhere is difficult.

Disney is even taking perks from their own Cast over how busy it is - starting September 1st, CM's can't get their regular dining discount at any restaurants for dinner unless its after 8:30pm.

Does that include the entire month of October, or do things really start to pick up closer to Columbus Day, golf tournaments, etc.?

I remember talking to a CM, just before the afternoon parade at the MK a couple of years ago. It was pretty quiet on Main Street, considering the parade was coming at any time....when I asked the CM about the crowds, she assured me that in October things really start to pick up. This was Spetember 27 or 28, along in there. 2 days later, she was right, LOL....it was a much different scenario. And it was October ;)

PigletIsMyCat

In regards to airfare, I booked my flight for 9/28 on July 1st @ $79 pp, each way. Tickets for my flight then dropped to $59 for like five days, then jumped to $139 and $159! And I'm flying from NY to MCO, usually well under a hundered bucks pp each way. BTW, a few flights I checked going down to MCO were booked solid. Three guesses where most of them are going.... and I was hoping to not have to listen to screaming children for two hours and fourty-four minutes straight.....

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
raven said:
As gas prices soar into higher prices than we've ever seen, I'm sure that there are a lot of people either canceling their trips or doing other things. It's a shame that it effects ravel plans like that but it does.
I disagree with this statement. We are driving in November. Although gas prices will drop by then, if we went today, higher gas prices would only add about $35 to the cost of our trip. Our round trip is almost 2000 miles. Even if gas prices were $4 a gallon, it would not be a significant increase in the trip. We would not cancel and I believe the majority of others would not either.

hakunamatata said:
I disagree with this statement. We are driving in November. Although gas prices will drop by then, if we went today, higher gas prices would only add about $35 to the cost of our trip. Our round trip is almost 2000 miles. Even if gas prices were $4 a gallon, it would not be a significant increase in the trip. We would not cancel and I believe the majority of others would not either.

Actually, when referring to the gas price increases I believe that they were talking about the increased cost on day-to-day use affecting travel rather than only the increased cost for the trip. Consumers' discretionary spending is being greatly affected because of the daily increased costs of gas, hence the potential for people to cut out vacations or cut down on the number of them. Last year a fill-up for my vehicle would have cost about $22, now it costs about $34. Losing $12 for every fill-up does add up quickly, and it has affected my discretionary spending.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
thedisneyfan said:
Actually, when referring to the gas price increases I believe that they were talking about the increased cost on day-to-day use affecting travel rather than only the increased cost for the trip. Consumers' discretionary spending is being greatly affected because of the daily increased costs of gas, hence the potential for people to cut out vacations or cut down on the number of them. Last year a fill-up for my vehicle would have cost about $22, now it costs about $34. Losing $12 for every fill-up does add up quickly, and it has affected my discretionary spending.

Very valid point.

pumba100

Original Poster
xtimMOOthyx said:
It is a shame that you are canceling your trip because Passholder rates aren't out yet. Shame, shame, SHAME!
Who said we were cancelling our trip? I said "count us in the bunch...who are cancelling trips or are otherwise foregoing visits to WDW", and I said "As often as we go to WDW...we can't afford full retail rates...so we have no choice but to cut down on the visits."

From that, a reasonable person could imply that I might cancel some trips, but not necessarily the October trip. How do you know how many trips I might have planned and how many I might reconsider? And, how the heck do you come to the conclusion that it is the AP rates exclusively that might cause me to cancel this or any other trip? Yes, I complained about them, but I made no statement whatsoever that I was cancelling my trip for that specific reason.

If you people want to bash me for my posts then knock yourselves out. But do so based upon the facts, not upon your how you imagine the facts to be.

brich

Yikes, some of these threads/debates/arguements are like playing Scrabble. Is to a word - Is not a word. Did to say that - Did not say that. :eek:

GOD I love it here!! :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
pumba100 said:
Who said we were cancelling our trip? I said "count us in the bunch...who are cancelling trips or are otherwise foregoing visits to WDW", and I said "As often as we go to WDW...we can't afford full retail rates...so we have no choice but to cut down on the visits."

From that, a reasonable person could imply that I might cancel some trips, but not necessarily the October trip. How do you know how many trips I might have planned and how many I might reconsider? And, how the heck do you come to the conclusion that it is the AP rates exclusively that might cause me to cancel this or any other trip? Yes, I complained about them, but I made no statement whatsoever that I was cancelling my trip for that specific reason.

If you people want to bash me for my posts then knock yourselves out. But do so based upon the facts, not upon your how you imagine the facts to be.

Ok, so you are not cancelling your trip for the AP reason, but possibly for another reason. Then on the other hand, you may not at all. It just depends on how some other things may or may not affect if you cancel your trip, or trips, depending on how many you may or may not have planned. Have you thought about postponing your trip until your AP expires so you dont have to worry about that issue, or am I assuming that you have an AP when you really do not, and were just using that as an example.

hls1023

I'm probably gonna catch hell for this but I can see why a Disney AP would be so upset. I am a Universal Studios AP (we got a buy one year get one free) and they ALWAYS have rates for AP (Sometimes up to $100 cheaper than non AP). They put aside a whole bunch of rooms just for people with AP. Now, if you wait until the last minute to call they won't have any rooms left but we have never had that problem seeing as how we book everything at least 30 days out.

I also happen to love going to Disney but we stay at the POP Century everytime we visit. It fits our budget and suits us just fine. But if I was a Disney AP and couldn't get discounted rates on a room for my vacation that I've been TRYING to book ahead of time I would be upset. Disney's AP aren't cheap. Even for a FL resident.

wannab@dis

hls1023 said:
I'm probably gonna catch hell for this but I can see why a Disney AP would be so upset. I am a Universal Studios AP (we got a buy one year get one free) and they ALWAYS have rates for AP (Sometimes up to $100 cheaper than non AP). They put aside a whole bunch of rooms just for people with AP. Now, if you wait until the last minute to call they won't have any rooms left but we have never had that problem seeing as how we book everything at least 30 days out.

I also happen to love going to Disney but we stay at the POP Century everytime we visit. It fits our budget and suits us just fine. But if I was a Disney AP and couldn't get discounted rates on a room for my vacation that I've been TRYING to book ahead of time I would be upset. Disney's AP aren't cheap. Even for a FL resident.

Let's try this one more time...

An AP is a PARK ticket, not a RESORT DISCOUNT CERTIFICATE. The benefits of an AP are all about discounted park entry. If you use it for, what, more than 10 entries in a year, then you have realized the cost savings of an AP entitled to that AP holder. A resort discount is a PERK / REWARD, but the AP holder is not ENTITLED to that discount.

Don't be upset if you don't get something that you are not entitled to.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
wannab@dis said:

An AP is a PARK ticket, not a RESORT DISCOUNT CERTIFICATE. The benefits of an AP are all about discounted park entry. If you use it for, what, more than 10 entries in a year, then you have realized the cost savings of an AP entitled to that AP holder. A resort discount is a PERK / REWARD, but the AP holder is not ENTITLED to that discount.

So, is the AP a Dining Club Discount Certificate? :lookaroun

hls1023

wannab@dis said:

And the point I was trying to make was that for the price that Disney charges for their AP they should give you more than a discounted park entry. The whole point of getting an AP is so that you can go back and visit more often but if you can't afford to stay in the resorts then your forced to stay elsewhere. BUT having said that if I just dropped $400 on an AP I would hope to receive a little more than a couple of bucks off my park entry. This has nothing to do with whether or not people feel like they should be entitled to anything. I think it aggravates people because Disney can put a toolshed out in the middle of nowhere put their name on it and charge people $350 a night to stay there and people will line up like cattle.
I'm a consumer and I will be more apt to spend money where I feel appreciated than when I know for a fact there is someone else on my heels that can spend $350 a night on a room when I can't.
When my boyfriend and I visit we stay at the POP Century and we go at the slow time of the year when it's cheaper because unfortunatly we can't afford it any other way. By the way, I'm not trying to start an argument I'm just trying to make a point from a consumers point of view.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
hls1023 said:
And the point I was trying to make was that for the price that Disney charges for their AP they should give you more than a discounted park entry. The whole point of getting an AP is so that you can go back and visit more often but if you can't afford to stay in the resorts then your forced to stay elsewhere. BUT having said that if I just dropped $400 on an AP I would hope to receive a little more than a couple of bucks off my park entry. This has nothing to do with whether or not people feel like they should be entitled to anything. I think it aggravates people because Disney can put a toolshed out in the middle of nowhere put their name on it and charge people $350 a night to stay there and people will line up like cattle.
I'm a consumer and I will be more apt to spend money where I feel appreciated than when I know for a fact there is someone else on my heels that can spend $350 a night on a room when I can't.
When my boyfriend and I visit we stay at the POP Century and we go at the slow time of the year when it's cheaper because unfortunatly we can't afford it any other way. By the way, I'm not trying to start an argument I'm just trying to make a point from a consumers point of view.

Yes Disneys AP is more than Universal....HELLOOOOOOO....they have more parks......... :brick:

PixyDust

Too many people are jumping to conclusions...

The AP rates for Oct-Dec were not released until the very end of August last year. I know because my trip was mid-October last year and I was getting anxious about this time...

There is still time for AP rates to be released and for you to get a discount. Unfortunately, it won't be at your preferred resort UNLESS some other AP holder had the room held and then releases it if they get another room they really wanted more.

I went for the Best Rate this year for my three nights at AKL. I saved $80 per night right off the bat from the ressy I made back in April to reserve the room type I wanted. I hope there will be a deeper discount on my room price, but if there isn't, I booked what I could afford, I just won't have the extra money saved on the room for fun money. Disney gets a set amount of money from me each trip, one way or another. If they get it on my room, they don't get it in souvenirs, and vice versa.

I personally like the Best Rate plan. No worrying about whether I'm going to beat all of you guys to the phone at 7 am on the morning they decide to release discounted rates...and all those mornings I try to beat you to the phone at 7 am only to be on hold 30 minutes and find out that the AP rates still haven't been released. Yep, I made a commitment to stick with my ressy with BR, but I think this is exactly why BR is now in existance. Too many AP holders canceling when they don't get the rate they want, or holding all those rooms to see which one they really want. We've done it to ourselves. Plain and simple.

Best thing my family did was buy into DVC five years ago. (Has it really been that long? Seems like yesterday!) We stay most nights at OKW, but for a change, about every other trip we stay a few nights in another resort.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
PixyDust said:
Best thing my family did was buy into DVC five years ago. (Has it really been that long? Seems like yesterday!) We stay most nights at OKW, but for a change, about every other trip we stay a few nights in another resort.

We just bought in. If you dont mind me asking, how many points did you buy in at?

PixyDust

hakunamatata said:
We just bought in. If you dont mind me asking, how many points did you buy in at?

The minimum 150 (at BoardWalk).

Then the next year we bought 80 more (at Beach Club) so we could have a 2 bedroom at OKW during the cheap season.

Then last year we bought 270 more (at SSR) so we could have the 2 bedroom at OKW twice a year.

And would you believe we STILL borrow into the next use year. Always completely borrowed out by the time our use year is up. I've NEVER banked a point! We got ourselves in the borrow hole when we booked a 2 BR for a week at BC the trip before we bought at SSR. Since then, its OKW all the way for us, but we just can't get caught back up.

Sorry to the OP for the drift...

Ralph Wiggum

Account Suspended
our Universal/IOA AP's: $179.00 per year, NEXT YEAR IS FREE. parking is FREE. Merchandise discounts 20%. F&B discounts (including Citywalk) 10-20%. preferred seatings at numerous events. great rates at resorts. Great parks.

Busch Gardens/SeaWorld/Adventure Island AP's: about $45.00 monthly for our entire family. FREE PREFERRED parking. 10% discounts on everything. .99 drink refillable mugs. discounts on food for animals. Great parks.

WDW SP's $219.00 per year. AP rates at resorts. Great parks. that's it. still $8.00 to park.

Huh. being a resident and getting a continual cash flow from us entitles us to nothing. When you go to Universal/IOA they look at your AP and thank you by name for coming. Passholders at the other parks are treated much better than by WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom