WDW decides to lose money

The great benefit of having more rooms booked more often is the greater potential for a new resort to be added to WDW!

I do agree to a certain point that Disney needs to be conscientious about its return customers and biggest fans. That does not mean that they should have everything, but ignoring them or feeling carefree in regards to your repeat customers would be a big mistake. Look at how the end of the Magic Kingdom Club/Disney Club affected the demise of the Disney Store. At the end of the program people said how much better VISA would be and who cares about the 400,000+ members....well obviously they do have an impact.
R.I.P. The Disney Store :cry:

A couple things about the AP economics:

Each AP purchased is up front money that Disney can sock away, even if only for a short term, because most people don't initially visit for more days than an equal value of a regulat ticket. Meaning, most people don't spend 20 days on their first day visit to create an equality in the cost of an AP versus a regular ticket.

Return visits do mean more money on food, souveniers and hotel stays. Yes there are AP holders who don't do so much spending on these items, but as fans we know that the overwhelming majority of us do the above spending each time we visit.

The return visits help keep Disney attendance at #1.

Disney sells the AP advertising benefits of being a holder. Therefore, some expectations of receiving some benefits, that were advertised and marketed in the selling of the AP, are not unreasonable.

Do all the above mean that an AP holder can get everything they want at all times, no. Should they have reasonable expectations that they get some of the benefits advertised for at some times, yes.

Budahman

Wow!! :lookaroun

This is one interesting topic or statement by Pumba.

Personally, I feel bad for Pumba because alot of people here are/were slammin' him/her.

I may or may not agree with the original statement, but I definatly see everyone passion on the subject as well as Pumba's. It definatly makes for an interesting conversation and interesting read.

That just my 2 cents.

OK......let's all be happy now :sohappy: .......I mean we are talking about something we all love and thats Disney!! :sohappy:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Big wrong assumption: October is "off" season this year.

Because of the free-dining, halloween party, and food and wine festival it is entirely the opposite. Not to mention the websites everyone reads (yes, lots more folks read than post) hear it was the "slow" season. Look for the #1 recommended time of year to visit on these boards and others. October comes up constantly. Finding space anywhere is difficult.

Disney is even taking perks from their own Cast over how busy it is - starting September 1st, CM's can't get their regular dining discount at any restaurants for dinner unless its after 8:30pm.

speck76

mousermerf said:
Big wrong assumption: October is "off" season this year.

Because of the free-dining, halloween party, and food and wine festival it is entirely the opposite. Not to mention the websites everyone reads (yes, lots more folks read than post) hear it was the "slow" season. Look for the #1 recommended time of year to visit on these boards and others. October comes up constantly. Finding space anywhere is difficult.

Disney is even taking perks from their own Cast over how busy it is - starting September 1st, CM's can't get their regular dining discount at any restaurants for dinner unless its after 8:30pm.
October is always busy with the off property hotels

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Forgot to mention, for those who don't read and remember everything i say (really should!)

Food and Wine runs from September 30 to November 13 (it expanded) and the special events offered just for the event, which occur most everyday if not statisticly moreso, booked out 60% within the first days of being offered.

So, a 45 day event covering all of October booked to 60% capacity in under a week - I think that means it's busy.

Food and Wine, btw, offers no discounts to anyone.

mhead

K-dub said:
I do believe some of the rationale behind the "Best Rate" program is to attempt to lock in more of these AP discount hunters that "block & bail".

You are most likely correct. The only problem I realy have with the best-rate program is the minimum 120 day out time frame. We rarely if ever have dates locked down that early. I would certainly have used it for my 0ct 6-9 trip but we were less than 120 out so no go. I wish they would revise that part to a more workable time frame scenario.

K-dub

mousermerf said:
So, a 45 day event covering all of October booked to 60% capacity in under a week - I think that means it's busy.

Food and Wine, btw, offers no discounts to anyone.

mousemerf,

I have no first-hand experience with the F&W big ticket events. I've been to F&W many times, Just not the ticketed events.

That being said, I've always suspected the High $$ ticketed F&W events were attended primarily by "well-heeled" O-Town locals that make their ressies the first few days they're available. Not everyone of course, but just the majority were from within a few hours drive and stay for the weekend.

For example:

Epcot Wine School, $125/person, Saturdays & Sundays only
Vertical Wine Tastings, $95-$150/person, Saturdays only
Signature & Specialty Dinners, $145/person, 7 Sundays, 2 Thursdays, 1 Tuesday
Lunch & Learn, $75/person, Fridays & Saturdays only
Sweet Sundays, $55/person, uhh Sundays only:hammer:
The Odyssey Cooking School, $100/person, Thursdays only
Exquisite Evenings, $185/person, Thursdays and Fridays only

The only event offered every day of the week:
Food & Wine Pairings, $35/person

If my hunch has been right, the remaining 40% of ticketed events you referred to that haven't sold yet are overwhelmingly the "Food & Wine Pairings" and those are the events that actually sell to resort guests that are there for the entire week.

The weekends are always busy "On or Off Season" anyway, Thanks to those FL residents and AP holders close enough to drive in for a weekend visit. They've been the backbone of WDW's business a long time, especially the post 9-11 slump.

The F&W event is gaining popularity every year and I'll be there 15 nights at the end of this year's F&W schedule. We enjoy the F&W atmosphere, but we primarily plan for this time of year because it less crowded and cooler. The Big F&W events sell out every year, but I'm not expecting a huge change from normal Fall Season crowd sizes this year.

Disney still isn't going out on a limb and building their F&W events around "Off Season" weeknights....

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Deceptive numbers...

First, you forgot the Party for the Sense which is included in the total inventory. That accounts for a LOT of spaces. Probably a good chuck of the total inventory.

So, if F/W Pairing are every day - that's 45 pairings.

There are 6 weeks, but 7 weekends to the festival.

Wine School - 14
Verticle Taste - 7
Sig Dinner - 10
Lunch/Learn - 14
Sweet Sun - 7
Cook School - 6
Exquisite - 14

That's 72 "high priced" events. Plus 45 pairings, and 7 Party for the Senses (each one offering tons of capacity).

raven

As gas prices soar into higher prices than we've ever seen, I'm sure that there are a lot of people either canceling their trips or doing other things. It's a shame that it effects ravel plans like that but it does.

wannabeBelle

raven said:
As gas prices soar into higher prices than we've ever seen, I'm sure that there are a lot of people either canceling their trips or doing other things. It's a shame that it effects travel plans like that but it does.
Agreed Raven!!! Should be interesting to see how this plays out. Belle

wannab@dis

raven said:
As gas prices soar into higher prices than we've ever seen, I'm sure that there are a lot of people either canceling their trips or doing other things. It's a shame that it effects ravel plans like that but it does.

I was expecting the same to be true for airline tickets, but so far, the prices for the tickets for our Dec trip are falling about $15 every week or two. What started out as $240 are now down to $180.

K-dub

mousermerf said:
Deceptive numbers...

First, you forgot the Party for the Sense which is included in the total inventory. That accounts for a LOT of spaces. Probably a good chuck of the total inventory.

Sorry, left out the:

Party for the Senses,
$95/person, Saturdays only.
That only adds to my theory that F&W events are overweighted to the weekend visitors/locals market. And that a successful F&W Festival doesn't necessarily translate into huge weeknight crowds.

mousermerf said:
So, if F/W Pairing are every day - that's 45 pairings.

There are 6 weeks, but 7 weekends to the festival.

Wine School - 14
Verticle Taste - 7
Sig Dinner - 10
Lunch/Learn - 14
Sweet Sun - 7
Cook School - 6
Exquisite - 14

That's 72 "high priced" events. Plus 45 pairings, and 7 Party for the Senses (each one offering tons of capacity).

Would you agree that the $35 F&W Pairings, especially the weekdays, probably account for most of the remaining 40% of unbooked events?

I believe that's because they sell those weeknights to resort guests that want to participate in F&W but didn't necessarily plan their trip around F&W.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Actually, most of the unsold capacity is in the weekend party for the senses. It alone holds half if not more of the total capacity.

K-dub

wannab@dis said:
I was expecting the same to be true for airline tickets, but so far, the prices for the tickets for our Dec trip are falling about $15 every week or two. What started out as $240 are now down to $180.

Hmmm, The rates for our Late Oct. trip have risen from $382 to $644/person since I booked them for the exact same intinerary

wannab@dis

K-dub said:
Hmmm, The rates for our Late Oct. trip have risen from $382 to $644/person since I booked them for the exact ams intinerary

Ouch! Good thing you already have them booked! I'll be using free tickets from rewards points, so I'm not worried about the cost. But if they keep going down, I'll go ahead and buy them and hold the freebies for another time. :D

K-dub

mousermerf said:
Actually, most of the unsold capacity is in the weekend party for the senses. It alone holds half if not more of the total capacity.

WOW, That's a surprise! Thanks for the info.:wave:

I asked My DW if she wanted to attend any of the events before the bookings started. Perhaps I'll ask again since this seemed like one we might consider and it's still available.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom