WDW Blogosphere Common Beliefs That Maybe Shouldn't Have Cult Status

MKCP 1985

I also don't like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...it always used to and still to this day creeps me out when you ride through hell.

I was glad to see Mr Toad go to the pet cemetery! That ride scared the crap out of me as a kid!! Long live Pooh!!

With due respect to TakeMeThere81 and plaz10, the fact a little Fantasyland ride could scare the crap out of people and creep them out is exactly why this ride has earned cult status despite its meager budget. :king:

:lol:

MickeyPeace

Original Poster
Great thread, even tho I kind of like Dole Whips (vanilla/pineapple swirl being the best) and think SGE is the second worst ride in the parks (#1? the train to Rafiki's Planet Watch).

OVERRATED
* Carousel of Progress. Treading on sacred ground here--this was my mother's favorite ride since she rode it in Queens back in '62--and the concept is still sound, but that final jump from 1950 to a 2002-that-never-was just kills it for me. And the corny dialogue has become somewhat cringe-inducing; wife jokes went out with Henny Youngman.

* Soarin'. A solid C-ticket, but not worth the insane waits. The dirt specks on the film and the cheesy CGI hang-glider don't help.

* Jelly Rolls. The other two dueling piano bars in the tourist district are better. Sorry, blogosphere.

UNDERRATED
* MILF. It works for me. I laugh every time. And very true to the universe of the movie. (Why it's in Tomorrowland is another story...)

* Small World. Same story as Illuminations, with a catchier song. Bright colors for little kids, "Easter eggs" for bigger kids trying to identify all the countries. It's hip to hate on this one, but it's earned its classic status.

* SciFi Dine-In. Ate here a couple months ago, had one of the best Disney burgers I can remember. Amazing server, too.

Good opinions.

I like Carousel and would hate to see it go.

Like Soarin but yes clean the dirt and visible seams! The queue sucks.

Never been to Jellyrolls. Clubs in Boardwalk in general need some help.

Went on IASW for the first time in many years a couple trips back. It was fun! Like you said, I enjoyed identifying the countries, hearing the kids enjoy themselves and dare I say the song cheered me up.

I haven't tried Sci Fi. I will try it the next time I'm there with a group. I'll say though that the 50's Prime Time Diner was a disappointment. Sets seemed kind of run down, staff was playing more of angry characters than nostalgic and the food was ok. Was very noisy and crowded. Just not fun.

MickeyPeace

Original Poster
Until it starts staying open later, it's a half day park by definition — regardless of what they put in there!

I totally get what you are saying. I am all for AK staying open during the evening. That would make me obsess over it even more, lol!

As for attractions and being able to spend time appreciating the surroundings, it's a two day park. The shows, trails, conservation station, rides, restaurants, etc make for plenty to do. It's only a half day park if you only want thrill rides.

Either way I welcome more hours and more attractions. C'mon Disney focus on AK next.

sweetpee_1993

Good thread. Interesting discussion. Enjoyable read. I'm in.

Dole Whips: I sampled a bite when my cousin & his wife bought one to share in '06. One bite was all I needed. Very "meh" for me. I've never been in any way tempted to stop at the Aloha Isle for anything before or after that. I love to eat fresh cut pineapple but I have zero desire to mix that love with any flavor of ice cream. Plus, vanilla ice cream is like naked ice cream. It's ice cream in need of flavor but not pineapple. LOL!

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride: I do remember this ride well. My sibs and I didn't mind it but it wasn't something we'd feel like we couldn't miss. I don't recall being scared by any part of it. I can see where some identify with the nostalgia factor. I definitely do. But then, be totally objective and ask yourself this, "If I walked up to 50 people how many could tell me what story that attraction is/was based upon?" I *understand* the nostalgia but don't identify. It was time to put something more relevant there.

Ditto the above for Horizons. It was cool and I liked it enough back in the early glory days but it was going to outlive it's relevance.

Zebra Domes. The first time I had them I was far more wow'd. The second & subsequent times I had them...meh. I'd rather have my fond memories.

School bread. Must try. That little bakery is so small and is always so crowded whenever I look in the door. One look and I always say the same thing: I'll pass - next time.

Carousel of Progress. I do have a serious love here. As an imaginative daydreamer of a kid I used to gaze into all the earlier scenes and wish I could go play "house" in the sets. The final scene, however, not so much. That's sorta embarrassing to watch and only gets worse as each year goes by. Maybe instead of trying to mix all sorts of outdated elements they should just pick a decade (70's, 80's, 90's???) and let the family be there with the elements that were vs. the generational gumbo they've thrown up there. I don't see that being detrimental to the overall story and journey. You still see the family's conveniences progress and I, personally, would still walk away thinking about what's to come for us.

Magic Carpets. Never been on them. They are kinda in your face in that location but I don't really care either way. I walk past and my day moves forward.

Tiki room. Okay, I saw the original WDW version pre-new management when I was a kid a handful of times. No, I didn't go watch the tikis when my sibs and I were dashing about the MK doing our own thing sans parental units. We went in there when we **had** to because we were there with my grandparents who loved it. I was mildly entertained but got bored long before the show concluded. The new management version doesn't improve or detract too much for me although I could totally do without Gilbert Gottfried's nerve-grating voice.

Journey Into Imagination...the hype on this one is TOTALLY appropriate. If you experienced the original ride and Imageworks there's just no question. We were locals back then and seasonal passholders. We ONLY were ever in the parks during the slowest of times. Even on the slowest of days there would be a LINE just to get in the door. That says something. If you've only ever read about it and never experienced the original glory I am not surprised you don't buy the hype. It's hard to imagine... <---good pun...totally true!

Laugh Floor...I don't buy that backlash. I've enjoyed it immensely from pre-show to end every time I've been in. Love it! As for what was previously in that location, I don't recall ever even being inside there before the Laugh Floor went in. Um, for me that says something. If it was noteworthy we saw it and I remember it.

SGE. I'm not a fan of this attraction but that's not so much about Stitch. My pre-SGE experience in this spot was Mission to Mars. My memories of Mission to Mars are "lame...keep moving". It's basically the same thing for me. We all sit in a circle but now it's dark. Stuff goes on around you. Underwhelm me some more. Plus, I don't recall in the 3 or 4 times I got rope-a-doped into going inside this attraction having all the effects work so that the show made good sense to me in terms of the story moving along. I think all the squeals, screams, and children crying make it less enjoyable for me. I dunno.

Pecos Bills. I tried this place for the first time this past November. We liked it. I won't say it's like freakin' great. I mean, come on, you're not likely to get a gourmet, truly wow-inspiring counter service anything in a Disney park. Yes, for me this also includes......

**gasp**

Sunshine Seasons! Relative to it's alternatives in the MK, it's nice to have the toppings bar for options to dress up an otherwise bland, tasteless item on my plate.

Here's my question: Why all the hype for Cosmic Rays? That place is always jam-packed. The competition to get a table at lunch or dinner is so fierce particularly in the mega-popular Sonny Eclipse room. Are you kidding me? That's a semi-cute animontronic extra terrestrial that sounds an awful lot like Bruce Willis from his Moonlighting days. The food isn't great. The entertainment isn't that noteworthy. So why all the hype? I was far more impressed when they had the live shows with the cool Barbie & the Rocker-ish pop group that rose up out of the floor dancing and actually performing. My sister and I would take our independant park time to go sit on the floor in front of the stage just to watch and sing along. We were FANS!!!!

The game room in the Contemporary where The Wave is now located is undeniable. If you went there back in the 80s...think about what was cutting edge then...that was the shiz-nit. Hands down.

Okay. I've rambled enough. I like this stuff. Good memories. Lots to think about....
:wave:

MickeyPeace

Original Poster
This thread has been very gratifying. I'm happy to know that there are other Disney fans out there who are not zombie-like Dole Whip Stepford wives.

plaz10

With due respect to TakeMeThere81 and plaz10, the fact a little Fantasyland ride could scare the crap out of people and creep them out is exactly why this ride has earned cult status despite its meager budget. :king:

:lol:

If every ride that scared me when I first went to Disney became a cult favorite or was removed, there would be nothing left. SSE, TTA and IASW would be the only things left standing. I was scared of Peter Pan's Flight. Not joking. It did not take much to scare me on my first trip. :lol: I don't think my distaste for Mr Toad is fueled as much by how scared I was but for how much I like the Pooh ride and the Hundred Acre Wood characters.

I have to believe that Horizons has one of the (if not the) biggest cult following. These followers could also fall into the EPCOT center followers. I barely remember the ride but I know it was one of the ones I was not afraid to ride again and thats saying something!! I enjoy Mission:Space but was sad to see Horizons go, but I'm no cult follower. I think you have to remember more than one aspect of the ride for that status!

sweetpee_1993

And what about 20k Leagues? There's an extinct attraction with a distinct cult following. I remember 20k Leagues very well. It always had what seemed like a crazy long wait because the line moved so slow. Grass growth out-progressed the line movement for that attraction. When you stood in line there was just that little canopy so often in the afternoon you'd be standing still in the sun. Ugh! I remember baking in that line just wishing I could dive off into the stinkin' water. When you finally made it onto a sub, descending into one was like descending into a funky-feet smellin' muggy tin can. The ride itself was sorta cool. I remember being underwhelmed for the time & discomfort sacrificed to see what was there. Again, another attraction I don't recall feeling was a must-do. I don't have a problem with nostalgia but I also don't see making something that used to be there into something more than it actually was. Besides, how many people have seen that movie? I haven't. Neither of my boys have. In addition to it's technical difficulties I think it was losing it's relevance as was Mr. Toad. No?

sublimesting

-

For those who are commenting on not liking Dole Whips....

BE SURE you are actually getting THE 'Dole Whip' us addicts are talking about! Don't make the mistake my friend made by stepping up to the counter and ordering a 'Dole Whip' and not recieving the famous item in question. Doing so only gets you a cup of the pinapple flavoured soft serve ice cream!

To insure you are getting THE legendary 'Dole Whip' Park Fans rave about, you need to step up to the counter at 'Aloha Isle' and order a 'Pinapple Float'. This is what it is actually called...so be sure you are ordering the correct item! A 'Dole Whip' on the menu is just the pineapple flavoured soft-serve ice cream in a cup...and does not come with the all important ( and incredibly yummy and refreshing ) pinapple juice. The 'Pinapple Float' has pinapple juice in a cup TOPPED with the pinapple ice cream. Be sure you are getting the right item!

I just wanted to point this out....so nobody misses out or accidentally ordered and tasted the WRONG item!

Remember kids, to sample the famous WDW Dole Whip, you need to order a Pinapple Float from 'Aloha Isle'!

:wave:

Happy sipping!

Holy cow!!! A mistake I would have made for sure as i have never had one since I am not excited by pineapple. I think I'll try one this time.

sublimesting

Oh yeah. I think Swiss Family Tree House gets a bad rap. It's shady. It has fun things to look at. There is no line. And at the top you get a nice view of the castle. Why does everything have to be a big time ride?

juniorthomas

In the Walt Disney World blogosphere and podcastosphere there are commonly held beliefs that have reached cult status that I would like to bring into question. Conversely, there are beliefs that have resulted in the opposite. I will bring up one example of each in this post.

Cult Status-

1) The Dole Whip is the most awesome and therefore most revered dessert in the parks.

I tried a Dole Whip on my last trip for the first time after hearing about this most magical dessert constantly all over blogs and podcasts. I was underwhelmed. It was soft serve pineapple flavored ice cream. Not bad. I'd say good. Certainly not great or worthy of it's cult status. Personally I've made a trip more than once just to have Edy's Peppermint Chocolate Chip hand scooped ice cream on Main Street. That is deserving of cult status.

Most Reviled-

1) Stitches Great Escape is the worst attraction.

Disney fan boys and girls just hate this attraction. Stitch seems like the go to character to bash. Lilo and Stitch is one of my favorite Disney movies. The character is unique and I really like him! The attraction is not top notch by any means but neither do I think it deserves the hate that has been perpetuated. There seems to be some kind of Stitch bullying going on. The Figment attraction sucks way worse!

I have never been one to jump on anyone's bandwagon or follow public opinion.

Is anyone else not enchanted by Dole Whips and not filled with hate and disgust over Stitches Great Escape?

If you would like to contribute your choice of undeserving cult status item and what you think is disproportionately reviled in the parks, feel free!

Well done, sir.

And honestly, simply walking into the Main Street Ice Cream Parlor and inhaling the sweet smell of those waffle bowls is a thousand times better than eating any Dole product in The World.

So between eating dole whips or smelling waffle bowls, I take the waffle bowls.

epcotWSC

Wow, a whole thread like this without mention of Le Cellier? Shocking.

Haven't tried the Dole Whips yet, but I know those are revered greatly.

I can also add the fact that Epcot isn't overly educational. I'm sorry, but it's a theme park, people are there to have fun. Sure it should be more up-to-date and futuristic, but I feel like too many people almost want it to be a library.

Cult Status - Any and all change in EPCOT is BAD!

:brick::brick::brick:there will be some that are never happy. For me though I don't walk into the park and wish it was something different I am just happy to be there. And the characters being there are a welcome change for my family since my kiddos like characters and usually the lines are a bit shorter in EPCOT.

Cult Status - Soarin is the Best Ride!

It's okay. I like it, but I do not understand WHY it has such long freaking waits. To be honest I like Mission Space a whole lot better and walk on it every time.

Cult Status - Tiki Room Under New Management

I admitt I've never seen the original but this one isn't that bad and certainly doesn't deserve pages and pages of hate.

Cult Status - Monorail Resorts

Yes they are convenient but I will never ever pay $300.00 for a room that has zero ammenities and is not a suite.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom