WDW Blogosphere Common Beliefs That Maybe Shouldn't Have Cult Status

HitchHikngGhost

It's funny I recently have returned (3 days ago) from a trip to WDW and although it was my 9th, it was my wife's first. So I tried not to bias her opinion by telling her what had a popular following and what was disliked. We both agreed that SGA was okay, but far from great.
Tony's was great based on nostalgia (Lady and the Tramp is one of our favorite movies) but based on food alone, it was pretty mediocre.
And she did NOT like the food at San Angel Inn. I liked mine pretty well, but it might have been the Dos XX I had :animwink:
With my family, we have a cult following for the cloudberry horns at the bakery in Norway. We kept buying those to take back to the room and my mother even brought a few home in her suitcase lol

Vernonpush

I also like MILF. But then I've only seen the show once. I was the first person to appear on the screen during the show with a caption about looking bored, lol. It was the last show of the night and I was yawning.
The whiney, nasal character with the cat glasses might keep me from rushing back but I enjoyed the show.

What is a zebra dome? I had a zebra cupcake at Animal Kingdom that was good. Is that it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wdwprince/5446727069/

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Dining/Zebra-Dome.htm

heliumalias

I hated Alien Encounter. For me it wasn't a good fit in the Disney Parks. As a kid I found it absolutely terrifying. Yes kids like being scared but that wasn't fun scared. I won't knock the quality of the attraction because it was well done but I don't think it belonged anywhere near the Magic Kingdom.

As for Stitch, here's the problem I have with it. I adore the character but Stitch in SGA is the Stitch from the beginning of the movie not the loveable Stitch that emerges during it. Loads of kids and parents comment that they love Stitch but get scared by him in that attraction. I don't think it's the worst attraction in WDW though.

I love Dolewhip! One of the reasons I think it is talked about so much is because it is almost unique to WDW and DL. I also love the frozen bananas covered in chocolate and think they are underrated.

Korfar

I had a bad experience just trying to get a Dole Whip last year. I was in line and the cashier decided just as it was my turn to close the register and walk away. By that time the other lines were really long so I would have to go to the back of those lines. Forget that. So I still haven't tried one. I may or may not try one this year. We will see how busy the stand is.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Well, I love Dole Whips and hate SGE, so I'm with the blogosphere on those. And I accept and indeed represent strongly the generally-accepted Disney-blogosphere view that losing the Adventurers Club is one of the greatest tradgedies ever to befall WDW (and perhaps the universe).

But here's some blogosphere loves and hates that I'm not on board with:

1. Tiki Room Under New Management

I like the original show much better, but this one is OK for me, not even close to on par with SGE or Sounds Dangerous, even though it seems to be reviled almost as much.

2. Magic Carpets of Aladdin

It's the best spinner on property and adds kinetics to an area that lacked them. It is no more incongruous in the south seas themed-Adventureland than POTC is, but it is hated by most Disney enthusiasts. I like it, and it's amongst my little boy's favorites.

3. Horizons

I liked the attraction and rode it every trip, but it's interest and excitement wore off quickly, and I understand entirely why WDW replaced it. I do miss the grand "experiences" that existed at Epcot's opening, but of those lost, I miss World of Motion, the original Journey into Imagination, the original UoE (although at least it was replaced with another long immersive experience), and the Living Seas more than I miss Horizons. Yet in the internet world of Disney fans, most lament the passing of Horizons above the others.

NYwdwfan

I read somewhere that Horizons had to close because there was a sinkhole under the building...and they had to tear it down and fix that before building Mission:Space. Is that true or a total myth?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I read somewhere that Horizons had to close because there was a sinkhole under the building...and they had to tear it down and fix that before building Mission:Space. Is that true or a total myth?
Total Myth. The building needed to be torn down simply because M:S would not fit inside of it and retrofitting a ride into an existing building can turn out to be quite problematic (ie Test Track).

MickeyPeace

Original Poster
Well, I love Dole Whips and hate SGE, so I'm with the blogosphere on those. And I accept and indeed represent strongly the generally-accepted Disney-blogosphere view that losing the Adventurers Club is one of the greatest tradgedies ever to befall WDW (and perhaps the universe).

But here's some blogosphere loves and hates that I'm not on board with:

1. Tiki Room Under New Management

I like the original show much better, but this one is OK for me, not even close to on par with SGE or Sounds Dangerous, even though it seems to be reviled almost as much.

2. Magic Carpets of Aladdin

It's the best spinner on property and adds kinetics to an area that lacked them. It is no more incongruous in the south seas themed-Adventureland than POTC is, but it is hated by most Disney enthusiasts. I like it, and it's amongst my little boy's favorites.

3. Horizons

I liked the attraction and rode it every trip, but it's interest and excitement wore off quickly, and I understand entirely why WDW replaced it. I do miss the grand "experiences" that existed at Epcot's opening, but of those lost, I miss World of Motion, the original Journey into Imagination, the original UoE (although at least it was replaced with another long immersive experience), and the Living Seas more than I miss Horizons. Yet in the internet world of Disney fans, most lament the passing of Horizons above the others.

I'm with you on Tiki Room. I probably would like it no matter what Tiki Show was in there though. I love the concept. Given a choice I would go with the original show. However I will definitely go to the attraction on every visit since I can't resist getting a bag of almonds near the entrance and sipping on some water while I watch animatronic birds and tikis sing to me! :sohappy:

I also like the Magic Carpets but I think the best spinner is Astro Orbiter. Ok maybe I'm slightly into the retro with a touch of being masochistic. The wait is always too long due to loading. Cmon, you have to squeeze into an elevator, theres an element of thrill right there. What if it gets stuck! But who can resist the view from the top as you spin around, especially at night. The colors of the attraction and Tomorrowland are vibrant. I love concept. It's old school futuristic.

It does need a refurb badly though. The rockets seem dirty and worn. I don't even want to touch the seat belt. And what is with the colored plastic card you have to hand to the attendant?

As for Epcot in the 80s and 90s, I missed all of that. I'm only now beginning to appreciate Future World. I never really liked it. Now that I've learned what it used to represent, I make more of an effort to spend time there. To me the Land and Imagination pavilions look like malls. And wow, Journey Into Imaginations sucks.

wizards8507

I get a turkey leg before Fantasmic! on every trip.

Soarin' sucks. It's a giant movie screen with hacked together clips that make no cohesive sense.

powlessfamily4

Maybe just maybe.... see if you can follow me here.... Things achieve "cult" status because the majority of people who try it like it.

BTW I love Dole Whips! I think they are the Bees Knees!

Vernonpush

I hated Alien Encounter. For me it wasn't a good fit in the Disney Parks. As a kid I found it absolutely terrifying. Yes kids like being scared but that wasn't fun scared. I won't knock the quality of the attraction because it was well done but I don't think it belonged anywhere near the Magic Kingdom.

As for Stitch, here's the problem I have with it. I adore the character but Stitch in SGA is the Stitch from the beginning of the movie not the loveable Stitch that emerges during it. Loads of kids and parents comment that they love Stitch but get scared by him in that attraction. I don't think it's the worst attraction in WDW though.

I love Dolewhip! One of the reasons I think it is talked about so much is because it is almost unique to WDW and DL. I also love the frozen bananas covered in chocolate and think they are underrated.
Yes! The frozen bananas are underrated. I remember getting one in Disneyland in the 1960s (the one treat my parents let me have) and loving it!

And I think your wrong!

And my opinion means more.
:ROFLOL:

inluvwithbeast

I agree with the poster who dislikes Soarin'. I don't hate it, but I don't think it deserves ALL the hype. I'm just like, cool, a curved screen. Orange and pine scent. California. Okay, next ride!

MickeyPeace

Original Poster
Maybe just maybe.... see if you can follow me here.... Things achieve "cult" status because the majority of people who try it like it.

BTW I love Dole Whips! I think they are the Bees Knees!

Also, the majority of people don't always have good taste and often jump on a bandwagon because everyone else is doing it and it's scary to have your own opinion when it's against the majority.

See if you can follow me here...that was the point of this thread!
:wave:

I like Soarin even though there isn't a story and the edits between shots could maybe use some transitions. What I don't like is the queue. I waited in the stand by once and will never do it again. It had all the charm of a subway platform with some interactive video on the wall. Yawn.

Avenger117

First, Stitch's Great Escape has reached cult status of the negative variety because it is truely that awful.

On the subject of food, I guess the Dole Whip is so popular because its sold in very few places, mostly the Disney parks. I think its good, not absolutely amazing. BUT I do agree on the School Bread in Norway its fantastic and even better is the Cloudberry horn!

NYwdwfan

Total Myth. The building needed to be torn down simply because M:S would not fit inside of it and retrofitting a ride into an existing building can turn out to be quite problematic (ie Test Track).

I knew it! Dang the internet and it's unreliable information! And thanks again Yoda for always having the real scoop! :D

Phonedave

Simple reason...it is a gigantic pile of awesome.:slurp:

It is actually a pretty simple thing. The pastry is not a light as a raised doughnut but not as heavy as a bagel. It is filled with a vanilla custard and topped with icing and coconut. They also have several other concoctions in the Norway bakery (ie the sweet pretzels) that are incredibly good as well.

Have you had it recently ?

In January I had one, and it had LOTS of cardimum in it. It allways had some, but this was crazy. I don't know if they changed it or if it wasa fluke.

I have also had leftse with what tasted like rancid butter on it.

-dave

Phonedave

I fail to see the hype about Zebra Domes - meh

I also fail to see the hype about Dole Whips - meh

SGE - It's OK. Not something that appeals to me as an attraction, but I don't hate it.

-dave

MKCP 1985

meh meh meh :lol:

Here's your cult status item for the day: Strawberry Swirl :lookaroun

If it was so great and so much better than the Dole Whip, then why is it DEAD and GONE? :p

"Oh, Disney doesn't want to sell ice cream treats that taste good."

Yeah, right! :brick: :zipit: :lol:

Maybe a sinkhole ate the secret recipe. :lookaroun

Krack

On the subject of food, I guess the Dole Whip is so popular because its sold in very few places, mostly the Disney parks. I think its good, not absolutely amazing.

There's a hidden lesson for management in your comment. There used to be certain things that were exclusive to not just WDW, but to specific parks, and lands, and stores/restaurants. And this exclusivity not only created a nostalgia-effect, but also increased impulse buys as "we may never come back to this store, so I should just buy it now" was a common (and often necessary) way of thinking.

They have been very shortsighted in recent years by removing much of the park/resort/land/ride specific merchandise and by further selling what they do have in every single store on the WDW grounds. It's subtle, but it makes the person subconsciously think that they are in a less important (aka "magical") place. And that makes them want to buy less to commemorate the experience.

/always gets a Dole Whip
//makes me feel like I'm 9 years old again

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom