WDW Blogosphere Common Beliefs That Maybe Shouldn't Have Cult Status

Thrill

-Mr Toads Wild Ride

THE cult ride. I doubt many have rode this attraction, let alone remember or understand. It was non sequitur, hardly animated, and noisy. For those who so loudly trumpet AAs, story, and soundtrack, to support this, makes no sense and seems to be just bandwagon.

I should add I rode this when I was very young and can't form an actual opinion about it. :p

I agree. I went on it at Disneyland, and I'd say that it's an okay ride and I am happy that I was able to experience it, but it's not worth all of the hype.
-Story

It is not about story, it is about atmosphere and design. Period.

Wait. You mean rides can be good without story? -looks at Haunted Mansion- :shrug: Really, I wish Disney would stop worrying entirely about story and go back to their old approach. In my eyes, nothing tops the Haunted Mansion or Pirates of the Caribbean, and neither ride has a strict story. Pirates has something that resembles a plot, but it's imperfect. Tower of Terror comes close, but I still think that if Disney would put a little less effort into story and a little more into executing the actual ride, we might see something truly incredible again.

-MILF

Live jokes, fresh material, audience participation, and a great experience. If it didn't replace Timekeeper and wasn't in Tomorrowland it would be considered one of the best on property. People need to try this attraction again and let it be what it is and not add any pretense to it.

I think it's a good show as well. It doesn't fit Tomorrowland, but it's tolerable. Move it to Pixar Place and it's a great attraction.

TakeMeThere81

I also don't like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...it always used to and still to this day creeps me out when you ride through hell.

I think the Water Parks are way underrated. WE LOVE THEM!! More people should try them!

Krack

I agree. I went on it at Disneyland, and I'd say that it's an okay ride and I am happy that I was able to experience it, but it's not worth all of the hype.

In it's defense, the WDW version was the superior ride because it had the two tracks and the room where they met. The DL version is really not the same ride.

Figments Friend

-

For those who are commenting on not liking Dole Whips....

BE SURE you are actually getting THE 'Dole Whip' us addicts are talking about! Don't make the mistake my friend made by stepping up to the counter and ordering a 'Dole Whip' and not recieving the famous item in question. Doing so only gets you a cup of the pinapple flavoured soft serve ice cream!

To insure you are getting THE legendary 'Dole Whip' Park Fans rave about, you need to step up to the counter at 'Aloha Isle' and order a 'Pinapple Float'. This is what it is actually called...so be sure you are ordering the correct item! A 'Dole Whip' on the menu is just the pineapple flavoured soft-serve ice cream in a cup...and does not come with the all important ( and incredibly yummy and refreshing ) pinapple juice. The 'Pinapple Float' has pinapple juice in a cup TOPPED with the pinapple ice cream. Be sure you are getting the right item!

I just wanted to point this out....so nobody misses out or accidentally ordered and tasted the WRONG item!

Remember kids, to sample the famous WDW Dole Whip, you need to order a Pinapple Float from 'Aloha Isle'!

:wave:

Happy sipping!

cymbaldiva

-

BE SURE you are actually getting THE 'Dole Whip' us addicts are talking about! Don't make the mistake my friend made by stepping up to the counter and ordering a 'Dole Whip' and not recieving the famous item in question. Doing so only gets you a cup of the pinapple flavoured soft serve ice cream!

To insure you are getting THE legendary 'Dole Whip' Park Fans rave about, you need to step up to the counter at 'Aloha Isle' and order a 'Pinapple Float'. This is what it is actually called...so be sure you are ordering the correct item! A 'Dole Whip' on the menu is just the pineapple flavoured soft-serve ice cream in a cup...and does not come with the all important ( and incredibly yummy and refreshing ) pinapple juice. The 'Pinapple Float' has pinapple juice in a cup TOPPED with the pinapple ice cream. Be sure you are getting the right item!

I just wanted to point this out....so nobody misses out or accidentally ordered and tasted the WRONG item!

Remember kids, to sample the famous WDW Dole Whip, you need to order a Pinapple Float from 'Aloha Isle'!

Happy sipping!

Been there, done that........meh. :shrug:

SMRT-1

In the Walt Disney World blogosphere and podcastosphere there are commonly held beliefs that have reached cult status that I would like to bring into question. Conversely, there are beliefs that have resulted in the opposite. I will bring up one example of each in this post.

Cult Status-

1) The Dole Whip is the most awesome and therefore most revered dessert in the parks.

I tried a Dole Whip on my last trip for the first time after hearing about this most magical dessert constantly all over blogs and podcasts. I was underwhelmed. It was soft serve pineapple flavored ice cream. Not bad. I'd say good. Certainly not great or worthy of it's cult status. Personally I've made a trip more than once just to have Edy's Peppermint Chocolate Chip hand scooped ice cream on Main Street. That is deserving of cult status.
:veryconfu
Most Reviled-

1) Stitches Great Escape is the worst attraction.

Disney fan boys and girls just hate this attraction. Stitch seems like the go to character to bash. Lilo and Stitch is one of my favorite Disney movies. The character is unique and I really like him! The attraction is not top notch by any means but neither do I think it deserves the hate that has been perpetuated. There seems to be some kind of Stitch bullying going on. The Figment attraction sucks way worse!

I have never been one to jump on anyone's bandwagon or follow public opinion.

Is anyone else not enchanted by Dole Whips and not filled with hate and disgust over Stitches Great Escape?

If you would like to contribute your choice of undeserving cult status item and what you think is disproportionately reviled in the parks, feel free!

it's not only the fact that stitch is in it. it's the fact of what the attraction was before SGE. Alien Encounter was what it was prior and they basically took the guts of that attraction and added stitch. IMO Alien Encounter was a far better attraction for what it was.

the thing about stitch is the way WDW seems to throw him all over the place like there are no other characters to choose from. this is why a great deal of people hate stitch.

personally, i would take a Lilo and Stitch dark ride or coaster. that would actually make the character bearable and the attraction fun to me.

you can also compare SGE to the "figment attraction" i.e. JII which also had it's guts ripped out of it and is a mere shadow of what it once was.

Phonedave

-

Happy sipping!

Whip - meh
Float - meh
Vanilla/pineapple swirl - meh
Float with vanilla/pineapple swirl - meh
Float with vanilla ice cream - thats pretty good.

I think it is the pineapple frozen concoction that I find nothing thrilling about.

I like pineapple juice. I really like fresh pineapple (with a sprinkle of brown sugar, and thrown on the grill - yeah, that's good eatin' :) )

-dave

Phonedave

The Narnia and American Idol are the worst at WDW :/ sorry

I don't even consider that an attraction. That thing has allways confused me. Why is there ever a line for it ?

At least Sounds Dangerous has a concept to it. It has it's merits. True it is falling apart and the headphones have now been worn by thousands of people with who knows what in their ears/hair, but there was still an idea there that could have been interesting.

Narnia is some clips, some props, and a meet and greet.

-dave

Unomas

I liked the Dole Whip when I had it for the first time in 2009. I think it gets some points for being fairly refreshing on those extra humid days. While it might not be the 'best' dessert. It gains favor in that regard.

I went on SGE for the first time in 2009 as well. Once was enough. I was completely grossed out by the smells (twice). I find no entertainment in smelling something disgusting. For the gross ultimate gross factor I think it earns it's spot as the worst attraction. Had it not been for that - I don't think it would be on anyone's list.

PS. The school bread is AMAZING.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
What are the chances I can get a piece of school bread without coconut? I HATE coconut. Even if I say I'll be back tomorrow...you think they would do that?

MickeyPeace

Original Poster
The Narnia and American Idol are the worst at WDW :/ sorry

Nice additions, lol! Ive never visited either attraction. They just seem like bad attractions but I have to be fair and give them a try. I have a feeling that Narnia wont be there long since the latest one did so well but oops...wasn't a Disney film.

I always skip American Idol because I don't watch the show at home and frankly I'd rather be riding Tower of Terror than sitting in the audience of a theater watching park guests attempt to sing.

Now can we talk about how Animal Kingdom is NOT a half day park!!!!! :mad:

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
To to get back on topic...

Dole Whips are really nothing that is on the top of my list, not even middle. If we walk by the stand and we are thirsty/hungry for a snack we will get one and share it but we both do not think it's good enough to make it a NEED to get one.

SGE is not a GREAT attraction. I think it is ok. It's something we will do once a trip. The Narnia thing is pretty worthless though.

whitney37354

Narnia was the only thing we just didn't understand. We figured after standing in the room looking at monitors that we'd be seated in a theater and watch a movie of some sort. It was disappointing, but we were just killing time before going to F!, so it wasn't a big deal.

Mickey_777

In the Walt Disney World blogosphere and podcastosphere there are commonly held beliefs that have reached cult status that I would like to bring into question. Conversely, there are beliefs that have resulted in the opposite. I will bring up one example of each in this post.

Cult Status-

1) The Dole Whip is the most awesome and therefore most revered dessert in the parks.

I tried a Dole Whip on my last trip for the first time after hearing about this most magical dessert constantly all over blogs and podcasts. I was underwhelmed. It was soft serve pineapple flavored ice cream. Not bad. I'd say good. Certainly not great or worthy of it's cult status. Personally I've made a trip more than once just to have Edy's Peppermint Chocolate Chip hand scooped ice cream on Main Street. That is deserving of cult status.

Most Reviled-

1) Stitches Great Escape is the worst attraction.

Disney fan boys and girls just hate this attraction. Stitch seems like the go to character to bash. Lilo and Stitch is one of my favorite Disney movies. The character is unique and I really like him! The attraction is not top notch by any means but neither do I think it deserves the hate that has been perpetuated. There seems to be some kind of Stitch bullying going on. The Figment attraction sucks way worse!

I have never been one to jump on anyone's bandwagon or follow public opinion.

Is anyone else not enchanted by Dole Whips and not filled with hate and disgust over Stitches Great Escape?

If you would like to contribute your choice of undeserving cult status item and what you think is disproportionately reviled in the parks, feel free!

Agree and agree. Dole whips IMO are nasty. It's cheap ice cream floating in pineappls juice. Tried it and visited the restroom shortly after.

SGE is fun. It's not Pirates or Splash but it's fun. I like the background music. I like the AA's. I like that it's always a short wait to get in.

MickeyPeace

Original Poster
I don't get the hub-bub over Peco's Bill. I found the food to be very "Roy Rodgers" if you remember those. OK but nothing to crow about.

Ah Peco's Bills. I love that people keep coming up with more!

The execution of theme in Peco's Bills is great. I love that it is smack in the center of one of my favorite areas of MK. It is also a great place to sit outside when one of the parades passes.
The FOOD however is a different story. I've gotten burgers there a couple of times when I had a craving for a good ole burger and fries. No matter what toppings I put on the burger, it was a huge disappointment. The flavor was bland, the meat was full of cartilage and was just nasty. The fries also were not crunchy and flavorful. It does not satisfy. I have gotten the chicken caesar salad and from now on I'll probably stick with that and avoid the burgers altogether.
For quick service in MK I found myself going to Columbia Harbor House most often. They have a decent chicken salad and tuna sandwich was good. It's also one of my favorite places for theme. Doesn't hurt that it ties in with and has a view of the most awesome attraction, Haunted Mansion.

71jason

Great thread, even tho I kind of like Dole Whips (vanilla/pineapple swirl being the best) and think SGE is the second worst ride in the parks (#1? the train to Rafiki's Planet Watch).

OVERRATED
* Carousel of Progress. Treading on sacred ground here--this was my mother's favorite ride since she rode it in Queens back in '62--and the concept is still sound, but that final jump from 1950 to a 2002-that-never-was just kills it for me. And the corny dialogue has become somewhat cringe-inducing; wife jokes went out with Henny Youngman.

* Soarin'. A solid C-ticket, but not worth the insane waits. The dirt specks on the film and the cheesy CGI hang-glider don't help.

* Jelly Rolls. The other two dueling piano bars in the tourist district are better. Sorry, blogosphere.

UNDERRATED
* MILF. It works for me. I laugh every time. And very true to the universe of the movie. (Why it's in Tomorrowland is another story...)

* Small World. Same story as Illuminations, with a catchier song. Bright colors for little kids, "Easter eggs" for bigger kids trying to identify all the countries. It's hip to hate on this one, but it's earned its classic status.

* SciFi Dine-In. Ate here a couple months ago, had one of the best Disney burgers I can remember. Amazing server, too.

71jason

I don't get the hub-bub over Peco's Bill. I found the food to be very "Roy Rodgers" if you remember those. OK but nothing to crow about.

Bite your tongue! I'd eat there three times a week if it was as good as Roy Rogers.

That said, no worse than any of the other fast food around property, IMO. And the melted cheese--I think its main selling point in the blogosphere--is pretty awesome.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom