WDW Awakens ...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm not sure where either of us said there were issues with the amount of staffing? If anything, custodial coverage and staffing has generally increased since the layoffs in 09. Everyone realizes there is a direct correlation between cleanliness scores and intent to return on surveys and no one wants that to drop.
Have you seen cutbacks recently in staffing? We were hearing about general cutbacks at WDW due to issues in China.

NearTheEars

I'm not sure where either of us said there were issues with the amount of staffing? If anything, custodial coverage and staffing has generally increased since the layoffs in 09. Everyone realizes there is a direct correlation between cleanliness scores and intent to return on surveys and no one wants that to drop.

Many here claim that back in the day, the restrooms were spotless. And say that today, they are almost always a mess.

They are the ones suggesting that staffing is an issue.

Me, like I said earlier, I've found the restrooms to be a roll of the dice. Never always a mess or always clean. Usually a happy medium.

And unfortunately I never visited during these glory days that are oft spoke of.

CircusPeanuts

Then why do the bathrooms suck?

I'm not sure they do to the average guest as much as people on here feel they do. I can tell you that our guest restroom cleanliness ratings in the park are significantly higher now than 5-6 years ago. That being said, I did outline some of the challenges in a previous post if you would like to look at it. Things like challenges with holding cast accountable, etc.

CircusPeanuts

Many here claim that back in the day, the restrooms were spotless. And say that today, they are almost always a mess.

Me, like I said earlier, I've found the restrooms to be a roll of the dice. Never always a mess or always clean. Usually a happy medium.

And unfortunately I never visited during these glory days that are oft spoke of.

There is a saying of "familiarity breeds contempt" that I think sometimes applies in all fan communities. You get very familiar with something and you start to look for issues and flaws. You stop being influenced by the "magic" so it appears less "magical and perfect" over time, when realistically nothing has changed.

BrerJon

So the scheduling system is deficient in load forecasting. Why not use something like touring plans as an input for load forecasting?

The problem with staffing isn't down to CDS forecasting attendance, but due to local management eagerness to make their numbers or please lazier Cast Members.

Generally, the system will schedule a few more CMs than it anticipates for a shift - (although the ThanksMyMagic/Shanghai cutbacks mean there are less contingency schedules recently, apparently).

But what usually happens is if the park is quieter and there are too many bodies on duty, the managers will ER (early release) a CM and send them home for the day. This works for them, as it reduces the budget, not paying for someone to be twiddling their thumbs, and it works for the CMs as while many want all the work they can get, many more are happy to head home early.

So if an area is understaffed it isn't the fault of the shift schedulers, but of managers who are too eager to prove they can 'make do' with less, or are too keen to be popular with their employees by giving them more time off.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I completely understand how the uninformed might jump to that conclusion. But I would hope that most educated people would understand that computers aren't making the decisions for themselves. If the computer tells them to do something. It's because someone told it to.

Are you saying the computer is just the messenger.. or that because software is designed by humans, its the human telling it what to do?

I find it hard to believe Disney sets all staffing levels solely by human decisions. But rather has a labor system that projects the needed staffing and people work from those starting points.

BrerJon

I find it hard to believe Disney sets all staffing levels solely by human decisions. But rather has a labor system that projects the needed staffing and people work from those starting points.

Disney has humans who set staffing levels based on computer models and historical needs, so the computer suggests them, humans approve them, then local management can, throughout the course of operations, override if need be. The actual positions and times at a post are decided by computer, but again, management can override if they see a need to address or a place where money can be saved if staff aren't essential.

CircusPeanuts

Disney has humans who set staffing levels based on computer models and historical needs, so the computer suggests them, humans approve them, then local management can, throughout the course of operations, override if need be. The actual positions and times at a post are decided by computer, but again, management can override if they see a need to address or a place where money can be saved if staff aren't essential.

I think it's important to mention that not all areas work exactly like this. Areas which have data to draw from (register counts, food prep times, etc) do use that data to create their workload, but it is still *very much* a manual process. Areas like custodial do not have data like "restroom usage numbers" so it is very much a hands on and people driven process using historical workloads, attendance estimates; etc.

All areas then provide those workloads to scheduling who creates the schedule based off expected attendance, any special events, filmings, etc. Changes to these workloads (plus or minus) that are permanent have to be approved by a GM, so local leadership can't just decide to eliminate or add headcount without a *really* good reason.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You described how a CM gets sent somewhere... how does one get told to leave? If there is no replacement? AKA how does the system go from say 3 people working in a space to 1 or 2. Does a manager come and tell people to leave?
Exactly how is a CM tagged as ready for next assignment other than a timer or manually stating returned

tissandtully

The TTC bathrooms are always pretty bad, but then everything at the TTC is bad. I'm beginning to think it's intentionally permanently themed like a public bus station.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Hey i gotta run to lowes, but there was a person who actually created this social media monster. Got fired as a result, too.

Yes, these events are not created for them but they are catered to nonetheless.

Every Disney event I covered (with the exception of the Super Bowl MVP), i got in on my own dime and took nothing special.

My issue here is ethics..... but none of this is new terrirtoy

No, I don't. They are worse than what I write, but I refuse to get into urinating contests with them by singling them out unless they do something so out there that there is no choice.

Largely, today, they are the reason these things exist. Mommy Bloggers, lifestylers, podcasters will outnumber real media at these events (and that is even including your local radio station broadcasting from WDW) by a large margin now because what's left of media has largely determined that being under Disney's thumb isn't worth showing up for these 'events'.

And the 'real media' is likely to shrink even more if the Hostile Buy Out of the Chicago Tribune by Gannett plays out (and the Tribune is considering not fighting the buyout.) Since the Chicago Tribune currently owns the Sun & Orlando Sentinel that could be added to Gannets portfolio of Florida owned newspapers, it is likely 'real media' decrease in number yet again at these events. Gannet is known to rework the newly acquired newspapers and consolidate efforts (and employees) to turn the profit margins around. Could be harder to read objective, vetted, real news stories regarding the world of Disney in the future.

PhotoDave219

And the 'real media' is likely to shrink even more if the Hostile Buy Out of the Chicago Tribune by Gannett plays out (and the Tribune is considering not fighting the buyout.) Since the Chicago Tribune currently owns the Sun & Orlando Sentinel that could be added to Gannets portfolio of Florida owned newspapers, it is likely 'real media' decrease in number yet again at these events. Gannet is known to rework the newly acquired newspapers and consolidate efforts (and employees) to turn the profit margins around. Could be harder to read objective, vetted, real news stories regarding the world of Disney in the future.

Yeah I saw it.... ugh. I mean.... Actual hard hitting stories were a problem as it is. Looking forward? Gonna be even less questioning of the mouse house.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Yeah I saw it.... ugh. I mean.... Actual hard hitting stories were a problem as it is. Looking forward? Gonna be even less questioning of the mouse house.

Exactly the point to @WDW1974 thread I was seeing unfolding. Likely less unbiased accounts of happenings at Disney through vetted research from radio, television and printed real media. Less genuine news will be ferreted out. I remember years ago with the monorail accident some of social media had some very false information about the young man and causes floating about initially. Real Media stuck with the investigation for years through Transportation and Osha findings and reports. Social Media certainly has its uses and place. Still we all need to keep in mind they are completely different sources of information. I tend to lump the Disney Spoon Fed media events as an expensive, entertainment press releases vs the category of news reporting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom