WDW Awakens ...

peter11435

Correct - but when the computer is the one delivering the message (and lets face it.. I have to imagine Disney uses a labor management tool to set staffing levels).. see how the lay get to 'the computer drives it'?
I completely understand how the uninformed might jump to that conclusion. But I would hope that most educated people would understand that computers aren't making the decisions for themselves. If the computer tells them to do something. It's because someone told it to.

WildcatDen

I had to create an account to explain how @ford91exploder is wrong about Custodial in the parks when he said "You mean like they used to before the computerized dispatch which allows them X minutes to service a restroom if they exceed that time they are automatically dinged by the system.".

Wait a cotton pick'n second. Are you implying you are 'in the know' so to speak, and you are able to confirm that the statement made by our exploding auto maker is in fact, not true? Next thing you know, we will have dogs and cats living together. . .

hpyhnt 1000

So we have now established that Disney declining housekeeping standards property wide are the result of an inability to manage resource. Im sure thats what was said at the beginning.

That's my takeaway from all this. Whether it's a computer or a human supervisor, the conclusion is that CMs are being stretched thin and cleanliness is deteriorating all in the name of saving a few $$$.

Mike S

For the millionth time, Steve Harris said "Number of the Beast" was a dream of his, not some kind of Satanic Worship. Just look at their mascot.. Nothing quite as cute and cuddly as an Eddie Plush. . .
Fixed that for you, and you dare call yourself a fan................ ;)

CircusPeanuts

So there is an agreed time per action.
But wouldnt other cast members have an allocated task if everyone is coordinated by a system that allocates tasks or is there a rapid response team who are unallocated but Disney deploys when theres an abnormal bottom burp to clear up?

It depends on the situation. If it is a slow day with extra cast and almost no call-ins then cast may be pulled from the operation, moderately busy day a back of house restroom CM could be pulled to help, very busy day with a ton of call ins? The leader and coordinator will be the ones doing the work since there is no fluff. Like I said, very common occurrence and people are very used to making the "on the spot" decisions needed to keep things running smoothly.

That's my takeaway from all this. Whether it's a computer or a human supervisor, the conclusion is that CMs are being stretched thin and cleanliness is deteriorating all in the name of saving a few $$$.

Huh? Where did I say that CMs are being stretched thin? I don't think it is as black and white as you are making it out to be. Are there cast and leaders that could do a better job? Of Course! Have guests gotten messier and the parks gotten more crowded over the past years? Yes! Are newer/younger leaders challenged to coach and discipline cast appropriately to encourage proper behavior? Yes - many younger Millennial leaders want to be friends with their cast rather than lead their cast which causes issues. Are leaders challenged by the ever increasing use of cell phones while working? Yes - in the past cast would "hide" but get bored after a bit. Now they hide and play games or text on their phone. Is it tough to get decent staffing in Orlando when EVERYONE is hiring? Yes!

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Did anyone else get the e-mail about fastpasses and trash pick up? Essentially, we were told that if every member of our party picked up 6 pieces of trash on our upcoming trip, we'd all get an extra fasptass! Hooray! Plus, one round of toilet scrubbies yields a free churro order. Double Hooray! We have to bring our own brush though.

WildcatDen

Fixed that for you, and you dare call yourself a fan................ ;)
Thanks. I admit, I grew up with a brother who played the music all the time. I am a fan almost by association/saturation. That said, I enjoy their music and truly believe Steve Harris is the best bass player out there. I would love to see them but their tour comes nowhere close to Cincy. And I stand by my Eddie Plush comment.

OK, back on topic, free toilet scrubbies and churros? I take it those are not mutually exclusive?

Nubs70

Custodial cast members are dispatched by computer. But so are most cast members in the parks. That cast member driving your great movie ride vehicle and the cast member dispatching your space mountain rocket were also dispatched by a computer. And just like there is always someone there to send your rocket there is always someone responsible for that restroom.

The system does not tell cast member A to go clean restroom 1 for 15 minutes and then leave it unattended until it decides to send another cast member. Instead the system instructs cast member A to go attend to restroom 1 and that will be their responsibility until the system instructs another cast member to relieve them. There is always someone responsible for the conditions of the restroom. And since it is dispatched via computer it is well documented exactly who was responsible for each facility and when. Therefore good management can easily hold the right person accountable for the conditions of that facility.

The problem with this system has nothing to do with the computerized dispatch. The problem is that management will often have it set so that one cast member is responsible for more than one restroom. Cast member A being instructed to attend to restrooms A and B. But that problem could have and did exist before computerized dispatching.
Can't the system be programmed to recognize scheduling conflicts?

CircusPeanuts

1 employee required to be in 2 different locations at the same time..

That isn't a conflict - that is how it is planned, budgeted and workloaded to be. This is only the case in slower RRs or during times of lower attendance breaks where you don't need one CM "living" in that RR. You would simply rotate from one to the other when you finish one.

peter11435

So the scheduling system is deficient in load forecasting. Why not use something like touring plans as an input for load forecasting?

They have no problem forecasting attendance. There forecasts are far more accurate than unofficial sources. They are usually accurate within 1k

CircusPeanuts

If they know the work load and the output per CM, how can they not correct the amount of staff?

I'm not sure where either of us said there were issues with the amount of staffing? If anything, custodial coverage and staffing has generally increased since the layoffs in 09. Everyone realizes there is a direct correlation between cleanliness scores and intent to return on surveys and no one wants that to drop.

Nubs70

I'm not sure where either of us said there were issues with the amount of staffing? If anything, custodial coverage and staffing has generally increased since the layoffs in 09. Everyone realizes there is a direct correlation between cleanliness scores and intent to return on surveys and no one wants that to drop.
Then why do the bathrooms suck?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom