WDW Awakens ...

NearTheEars

So we are not to trust our lying eyes when the floor is covered by water and the thing there is a sign, I guess Disney has perfected the invisibility cloak so we can't see the invisible CM with their invisible mop.

As to CDS'es they ALL share a 'time to resolve' clock back in a prior life where I managed network operations I would put tickets in REMEDY for the NOC staff to handle, Of course there were always a few that required vendor resolution and would stretch out over weeks and months and the IT committee would give my team crap for 'not resolving this ticket in a timely manner' To which I would reply this is a vendor fix and there is nothing my team can do until vendor releases patch you will see this ticket at next week's meeting too.

So what's probably happening is CM has been assigned far too much stuff to do so they go and do 'something' so they can check off 'Location X' serviced the CDS is happy by extension Mgmt is happy. And this happens because the Custodial managers never actually LOWER themselves to visit the park and see what they are supposed to be managing

I believe the guy just explained that there is no "checking off" of duties on the system. Only assignments and changes in staffing for breaks.

I think it all comes down to good CMs, bad CMs and management that is stretched too thin. I've experienced both clean and deplorable conditions, but there's never really been a pattern.

WDW has seen attendance soar since the glory days of spotless restrooms but has failed to adapt.

hpyhnt 1000

I believe the guy just explained that there is no "checking off" of duties on the system. Only assignments and changes in staffing for breaks.

I think it all comes down to good CMs, bad CMs and management that is stretched too thin. I've experienced both clean and deplorable conditions, but there's never really been a pattern.

WDW has seen attendance soar since the glory days of spotless restrooms but has failed to adapt.

If anything, I think they've regressed, and then try to claim that today's standard is what it has always been.

Yet ticket prices and room rates keep trending ever higher...

peter11435

So we are not to trust our lying eyes when the floor is covered by water and the thing there is a sign, I guess Disney has perfected the invisibility cloak so we can't see the invisible CM with their invisible mop.

As to CDS'es they ALL share a 'time to resolve' clock back in a prior life where I managed network operations I would put tickets in REMEDY for the NOC staff to handle, Of course there were always a few that required vendor resolution and would stretch out over weeks and months and the IT committee would give my team crap for 'not resolving this ticket in a timely manner' To which I would reply this is a vendor fix and there is nothing my team can do until vendor releases patch you will see this ticket at next week's meeting too.

So what's probably happening is CM has been assigned far too much stuff to do so they go and do 'something' so they can check off 'Location X' serviced the CDS is happy by extension Mgmt is happy. And this happens because the Custodial managers never actually LOWER themselves to visit the park and see what they are supposed to be managing
I see you've chosen to continue to misunderstand.

peter11435

If anything, I think they've regressed, and then try to claim that today's standard is what it has always been.

Yet ticket prices and room rates keep trending ever higher...

I was showing that fordexplorers understanding of the system was wrong and I explained how it actually works.

I never claimed that it's always been that way. I said that the problems do not stem from the computerized dispatch system but rather poor management.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I was showing that fordexplorers understanding of the system was wrong and I explained how it actually works.

I never claimed that it's always been that way. I said that the problems do not stem from the computerized dispatch system but rather poor management.

You described how a CM gets sent somewhere... how does one get told to leave? If there is no replacement? AKA how does the system go from say 3 people working in a space to 1 or 2. Does a manager come and tell people to leave?

peter11435

You described how a CM gets sent somewhere... how does one get told to leave? If there is no replacement? AKA how does the system go from say 3 people working in a space to 1 or 2. Does a manager come and tell people to leave?
Like I said the cast member will be in that position until they are relieved by another cast member. That may be for them to go to break or go home.

In the event that a role is no longer being utilized. Such as two restrooms having two cast members going down to one cast member being responsible for both. This will generally be done by a leader instructing them or the computer dispatching someone to communicate that information to the parties involved.

CircusPeanuts

As someone who has been a custodial leader and works with custodial leaders currently, that is simply not the case. There is an expectation that the front line leaders spend 80% of their time "on-stage". Does that always happen, no. But there are Proprietors (former title before the reorg being Area Managers) of Custodial who hold those leaders accountable and who also spend a percentage of their time on stage checking in with cast, checking restrooms, etc. Also, the CM can't get "assigned far too much stuff" - they get assigned ONE TASK that they work on until they are given a break. That task could be 1 or 2 restrooms, sweeping a section of the park or doing a trash run for a section of trash cans. You finish your trash run, you start at the beginning again until you are relieved by someone else.

CM comes back from break or clocks in to start their day and the system will see who is up next for break or to go home. It will spit out a piece of paper with that CMs name on it and their break time. The CM just coming in will walk to that location, hand the paper to the other person who will go back to the computer to sign in to start their break and the other CM will then begin the task assigned. In attractions areas you also have "rotation" slips which move the cast around from position to position to help keep things fresh so you are not doing less desirable positions for your entire shift.

flynnibus

Premium Member
In the event that a role is no longer being utilized. Such as two restrooms having two cast members going down to one cast member being responsible for both. This will generally be done by a leader instructing them or the computer dispatching someone to communicate that information to the parties involved.

But don't you see.. if the computer decides what the staff level is.. the computer is also determining when work should be done. By setting the staff needed for covering a dynamic load... someone is saying 'add a body to the task', there is also a decision that says 'remove a body from the task'

The dispatch itself is just the communication means.. the real meat of this topic is how the staff level is determined and ramped up and down. That is where the 'how long things should take' logic can come into play

flynnibus

Premium Member
CM comes back from break or clocks in to start their day and the system will see who is up next for break or to go home. It will spit out a piece of paper with that CMs name on it and their break time. The CM just coming in will walk to that location, hand the paper to the other person who will go back to the computer to sign in to start their break and the other CM will then begin the task assigned. In attractions areas you also have "rotation" slips which move the cast around from position to position to help keep things fresh so you are not doing less desirable positions for your entire shift.

Thanks for that.. but that doesn't address any situation except for 'one in, one out' - where staffing would always be the same level. My question was related to adding/removing staffing. The system described above would only add/remove staff on break intervals.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Thanks for that.. but that doesn't address any situation except for 'one in, one out' - where staffing would always be the same level. My question was related to adding/removing staffing. The system described above would only add/remove staff on break intervals.
Im trying to get my head around the concept that there is no time factor in task allocation, been in ops all my life yet to encounter resource planning that doesnt allot task time, perhaps thats the Disney Magic. Yet going by the experts quote a CM can be allocated two restrooms to look after. What happens if Bubba J has a dose of the scour and pebble dashes the place the poor CM will undoubtedly have to take longer than normal to clean that, so whos cleaning bathroom 1 while hes engaged on BDR?

CircusPeanuts

But don't you see.. if the computer decides what the staff level is.. the computer is also determining when work should be done. By setting the staff needed for covering a dynamic load... someone is saying 'add a body to the task', there is also a decision that says 'remove a body from the task'

The dispatch itself is just the communication means.. the real meat of this topic is how the staff level is determined and ramped up and down. That is where the 'how long things should take' logic can come into play

The system isn't that intelligent. The staffing level is determined with the labor department in conjunction with the local leadership. For example, lets say w/ the changes in the hub at the MK - 5 trash cans were added. The leaders would decide w/ the labor team how to reallocate those 5 trash cans into existing trash runs. If it looks like the existing trash runs are already reaching the maximum amount of time they should take, they would need to justify creating an additional trash run which would require enough additional cast members to cover the entire day. Since it is a new area, the justification would be easy to come by.

Im trying to get my head around the concept that there is no time factor in task allocation, been in ops all my life yet to encounter resource planning that doesnt allot task time, perhaps thats the Disney Magic. Yet going by the experts quote a CM can be allocated two restrooms to look after. What happens if Bubba J has a dose of the scour and pebble dashes the place the poor CM will undoubtedly have to take longer than normal to clean that, so whos cleaning bathroom 1 while hes engaged on BDR?

The CM would call their coordinator/leader on the radio, explain the situation and then the coordinator/leader along with other cast would be pulled to help. Things like this are a very common occurrence and the cast are very used to calling for assistance.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The system isn't that intelligent. The staffing level is determined with the labor department in conjunction with the local leadership. For example, lets say w/ the changes in the hub at the MK - 5 trash cans were added. The leaders would decide w/ the labor team how to reallocate those 5 trash cans into existing trash runs. If it looks like the existing trash runs are already reaching the maximum amount of time they should take, they would need to justify creating an additional trash run which would require enough additional cast members to cover the entire day. Since it is a new area, the justification would be easy to come by.

The CM would call their coordinator/leader on the radio, explain the situation and then the coordinator/leader along with other cast would be pulled to help. Things like this are a very common occurrence and the cast are very used to calling for assistance.

So there is an agreed time per action.
But wouldnt other cast members have an allocated task if everyone is coordinated by a system that allocates tasks or is there a rapid response team who are unallocated but Disney deploys when theres an abnormal bottom burp to clear up?

flynnibus

Premium Member

Ok, but let's step out of the 'static model' world, and move into the real world of 'Load is dependent on operating conditions'. Staffing needs are based on factors like weather, season, events, other consequences in the park, etc. This staffing level is not going to be a static model. Yet, because staff is not infiniately on-standby... some process has already done the crunching to say 'on Day 52, based on these inputs, we are going to staff 45 custodial staff for this time block'

That kind of decision is crunched on ideas like 'There are X things that need attention, and those things need attention Y times an hour.. and we assume it takes Z amount of time for each task.. so we need ABC staff to make that happen'.

And if you have it in your mind that one CM can handle keeping this restroom up to spec... and if you continually find the CM failing to complete that task.. have you not defined how fast you expect the CM to complete tasks?

Human nature/interaction should come into play and management should decide if they are behind schedule based on things like circumstances or higher than expected load... vs just inadequate performance.

But if the # of people scheduled for a day is based on computations... and there is an expectation of how much an individual should get done in a set amount of time... and the way people are told to report to a duty station is by a automated printout.. Don't you see how people can connect the dots and say the computer dictates how long something should take?

peter11435

Ok, but let's step out of the 'static model' world, and move into the real world of 'Load is dependent on operating conditions'. Staffing needs are based on factors like weather, season, events, other consequences in the park, etc. This staffing level is not going to be a static model. Yet, because staff is not infiniately on-standby... some process has already done the crunching to say 'on Day 52, based on these inputs, we are going to staff 45 custodial staff for this time block'

That kind of decision is crunched on ideas like 'There are X things that need attention, and those things need attention Y times an hour.. and we assume it takes Z amount of time for each task.. so we need ABC staff to make that happen'.

And if you have it in your mind that one CM can handle keeping this restroom up to spec... and if you continually find the CM failing to complete that task.. have you not defined how fast you expect the CM to complete tasks?

Human nature/interaction should come into play and management should decide if they are behind schedule based on things like circumstances or higher than expected load... vs just inadequate performance.

But if the # of people scheduled for a day is based on computations... and there is an expectation of how much an individual should get done in a set amount of time... and the way people are told to report to a duty station is by a automated printout.. Don't you see how people can connect the dots and say the computer dictates how long something should take?
The same could be said without the computer. Even if they were doing schedules with pencil and paper and manually telling people what to do and when you would still have a certain staffing level based on your assumed need.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The same could be said without the computer. Even if they were doing schedules with pencil and paper and manually telling people what to do and when you would still have a certain staffing level based on your assumed need.

Correct - but when the computer is the one delivering the message (and lets face it.. I have to imagine Disney uses a labor management tool to set staffing levels).. see how the lay get to 'the computer drives it'?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom