Waterfront District "Hyperion Wharf" Set to be added to Pleasure Island

Wilt Dasney

But do we really need characters plastered all over the place? The Mickey face and flowers and trees are very unnecessary IMO.
Implementing "Flowers and Trees" can't be considered character overkill in the same way people complain about Stitch being everywhere. We're talking about one of Walt's breakthrough shorts. It's not there to sell a DVD or advertise a TV show, it's there to pay homage to the company's legacy. I'm thrilled to see it in the art!

I'm a little nervous about this idea if Disney's plan is to populate it with third party shops/fooderies. Basically, if any of them back out or close, it could impact the theme, and Disney seems to have a very nice theme going here...although I guess having the company run the outlets (PI) wasn't any kind of hedge against that anyway.

But that's just negative thinking, and for now, this looks very promising! I love the waterfront district feel.

GLaDOS

As for the AC, with the publicity it's gotten since its closing, I'm really surprised someone like Landry's hasn't purchased or licensed the concept in order to build a new version somewhere else in DTD. Along with the other concepts Landry's has, I'd think an all-ages restaurant like that would be a huge success and a big draw - it certainly sounds like a better concept than the boating restaurant. The AC must've been a serious money loser for them to have abandoned it like they have even with all of the outcry.

There were inquiries into buying the rights to the club/taking it over as is.

Disney refused.

cinderellafan6

My assumption (and yes I know what happens when you assume) was that many images of the characters were "place holders" for billboard advertising. Once they're physically up, with ads for a new album for whatever Hannah Montana/Jonas Brothers 2.0 they're concocting in the lab, or the "Stitch's Great Escape: The Movie - IN 3D!!!!" one-sheet, you'll be begging for images of the classic characters :D

HAHA LOL:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::lookaroun:ROFLOL::p Thats so funny Love the Stitch movie comment

vonpluto

Th
As for the AC, with the publicity it's gotten since its closing, I'm really surprised someone like Landry's hasn't purchased or licensed the concept in order to build a new version somewhere else in DTD. Along with the other concepts Landry's has, I'd think an all-ages restaurant like that would be a huge success and a big draw - it certainly sounds like a better concept than the boating restaurant. The AC must've been a serious money loser for them to have abandoned it like they have even with all of the outcry.

Since the new theme appears to be nautical, perhaps the "Madison's Dive" concept could be resurrected:

from Jim Hill(yeah, I know):

"What's that? You've never heard of Madison's Dive? The nightclub that was originally announced for Disney's World's Pleasure Island but ultimately never built. The one that was supposed to have been loaded with all these salty old sailors who would win spin out these amazing yarns. The club that was to have had a sunken bar that featured a window that looked directly out into the depths of Lake Buena Vista. Where -- every so often -- a real live mermaid would have swum by the window."

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief1/b/jim_hill/archive/2004/04/05/61.aspx

Just a thought...

slappy magoo

The nightclubs at CityWalk have the benefit of three large hotels almost right on property. IMO, Disney should've built the PI area as an adult resort-style area with a couple of adults-only hotels right on site. Disney is missing a huge market of twentysomethings who think WDW is only for kids. An adult resort would've had huge benefits for PI and all of the Disney theme parks.

Not sure I agree 100% with your logic. The three Uni resorts aren't adults-only, and that doesn't impact CityWalk's nighclubs' business, from the sound of it.

I will agree that it wouldn't hurt Disney to have more adult-FRIENDLY resorts. But in a way, they had, and still have, adult-friendly resorts. After all, Saratoga Springs used to be The Disney Institute, which was an attempt to bring in vacationers who didn't want their trip to be all about the mouse and rollercoasters. And they still have Coronado Springs which, while having plenty for kids to do, is equally geared towards conventions, and has its own dance club.

I think, ultimately, Disney is now aware that it can be cutting-edge with technology and presentation, but it's never going to be seen as edgy. It's one thing to offer some adult-entertainment options, but a whole nighttime compound destined to bring in local adults and childless tourists (who by and large are still coming to WDW for the parks and not the night life) is a non-starter.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Massive support for the adventurers club on the comments section of the official blog. Seems that about 90% of them make mention.

Lee

Adventurer
Eh...looks ok, for a mall.:shrug:
But....I can't put my finger on it, but something is definitely missing...

Ah...I know what's missing!
Reading that Disney blog reminded me with about 90% of the comments.

:D:Kungaeffinloosh

MarkTwain

I believe Disney are controlling the look and feel of the area. Any third party vendors will need to abide by Disney's design if they want to take part. Disney don't give up control on things like that, and nor should they.

That's great to hear. One of my gripes with T-Rex when it happened was how intrusive the giant volcano was/is into the charming village atmosphere of the marketplace. It was like Disney threw the theme of the district out the window, just so this one restaurant could get more attention. If Disney is making the businesses occupying Hyperion Wharf comply to Disney standard's of theme and cohesion (at least on their exteriors), then that's very encouraging.

Coincidentally, I was walking around the real Pier 39 on Fishmeran's Wharf one night in San Francisco a few weeks ago, and I was actually thinking when I was there about how nice a template it would be for a revised Pleasure Island. The wooden boardwalk, the blinking lights, the old-fashioned double-decker carousel, the sound of waves crashing, the general nautical theme. There was both an energetic vitality, and a sense of old-timey seaside charm that I thought would make a great fit for Pleasure Island. It looks like Disney may be able to incorporate much of that same energy and elements into Hyperion Wharf.

Now just to get information on what's occupying those buildings...

plutofan15

I find it amazing that people are already passing judgement on whether or not this will be successful based on a few conceptual drawings. I, for one, will wait until the project is finished before I pass judgement. This could change numerous times before it is finished. The Fantasyland expansion is perfect example of this.

GLaDOS

Massive support for the adventurers club on the comments section of the official blog. Seems that about 90% of them make mention.

I noticed that too. And with the building in the concept art, I wonder if there is anything going on there.:shrug:

Ignohippo

Not sure I agree 100% with your logic. The three Uni resorts aren't adults-only, and that doesn't impact CityWalk's nighclubs' business, from the sound of it.

The logic is, Uni caters to an older group (less family). With a resort lie the Hard Rock, you're going to get adults who don't want to go to bed and are looking for a place to go out. Having CityWalk within walking distance makes it almost a certainty that those people will choose to stay on property for their after hours entertainment.

While Disney has "adult-friendly" resorts, no group of twentysomethings is going to choose to come to those resorts and deal with kids when they want a place to have fun on vacation. They may want to got to the parks, but they won't want to to deal with kids at their hotel. An adults-only resort with adjoining bars and nightclubs on the other hand would make WDW a possible destination.

PhilharMagician

I haven't read this whole thread, but to me reminds me a lot like Universals Citywalk. Anyone else think so

No, Citywalk reminds me of DTD or Church Strret Station. Citywalk came way later.

I have always thought that DTD was just a mess. When DTD first opened is was called the Lake Buena Vista Shopping Village and it was a very nice shopping district that allowed access for locals and vacationers to visit without an entry fee and get a little Disney magic while sharing their money with the mouse. Over the years it grew. First the addition of PI. PI was a gated area for people 18 years of age or older and you had to pay an admission just to get onto the island. This was added to compete with the very popular Church Street Station. I will say PI was a lot of fun back then with the Westend stage and bands always playing on the street. You could go into what ever club you wanted to and come back to the street and listen to the live band. I really enjoyed that part of PI except having to pay to get on the island, but something had to pay for the entertainment. Well then West side comes along and now to get there from the Market Place you have to take a bland, unthemed sidewalk out by the parking lot to go around PI to get to the West side and the shops, theater and restaurants. This was a big flaw in my eyes. With the locked down PI in the middle you had no choice but to go around. This really isolated each area and limited the growth of the West side. So I have to assume after many thousands of complaints from people over the years and the complaints from the businesses on the West side that PI was opened up for people to walk through during the day to get between the shopping districts. At this point there was no charge to get on the island but you had to pay at the door of the clubs. Well this started to spell the end for the West end stage. Disney was not about to give people free entertainment. These people would come to PI and have a few drinks on the sidewalk and Hill st and listen to the music for free and that cannot last. Now the west end stage disappears and the fall of PI is well under way.

Connecting all three areas and blending their offerings will do wonders for DTD. It would not be in the situation it is in now if some better planning was done when the West side was added back in the mid 90's.

TP2000

They didn't name the restaurants. "Mahogany Bay" is a boat-themed restaurant concept that is proposed for the Hyperion Wharf district. I don't know if it's a definite, but it seemed that way. If anyone knows any different, please illuminate.

Yes, Mahogany Bay is a new restaurant concept coming to WDW's Downtown Disney, likely to be announced soon now that the big corporate announce is over.

Mahogany Bay (or whatever they call it) is going to be a themed restaurant created by Steven Schussler, the brainchild behind Rainforest Cafe and other hyper-themed restaurants. Mahogany Bay is themed to the expensive and elegant mahogany racing boats of the 1930's that Hollywood celebs and wealthy people owned as status symbols. (This would fit in well with the Hyperion-Disney connection it seems)

The new boating restaurant would be on the water side of Downtown Disney, rumored to be about where Rock N' Roll Beach Club used to be, to include dock facilities and areas for showing off some of these antique or reproduction boats.

Construction on Mahogany Bay could begin in 2011 if all goes well.

Horizonsfan

Seems strange (possibly good for AC fans?) that disney is allowing so many comments through. It seems like typical Disney proceedure is:
1. Issue press releasing stating closure
2. Make/allow no mention of shuttured structure until demo is complete
3. Return to mentioning occasionally

Hmmm.:lookaroun

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Seems strange (possibly good for AC fans?) that disney is allowing so many comments through. It seems like typical Disney proceedure is:
1. Issue press releasing stating closure
2. Make/allow no mention of shuttured structure until demo is complete
3. Return to mentioning occasionally

Hmmm.:lookaroun

I dont know, remember when the post about the front of the Chineese Theater at DHS was up on the official blog. I think about 90% of the comments there were against the Big A.. Hat, but I am not holding my breath that it is about to leave because of that.

That being said, throw another vote out there for the return of the AC. Only spent one night there, but truly was one of the most enjoyable, entertaining, and unique experiences I've ever had at WDW. I'm one who HATES having a microphone shoved in my unsuspecting face, and even though I had that done, I still had a blast. Maybe it was the bar full of Gin and Tonics I consumed helped with that... :lookaroun

Horizonsfan

I dont know, remember when the post about the front of the Chineese Theater at DHS was up on the official blog. I think about 90% of the comments there were against the Big A.. Hat, but I am not holding my breath that it is about to leave because of that.

That being said, throw another vote out there for the return of the AC. Only spent one night there, but truly was one of the most enjoyable, entertaining, and unique experiences I've ever had at WDW. I'm one who HATES having a microphone shoved in my unsuspecting face, and even though I had that done, I still had a blast. Maybe it was the bar full of Gin and Tonics I consumed helped with that... :lookaroun

Forgot about the hat, whoops. still though...

I myself never experienced AC. I do feel that having CW & AC really help to diversify the offerings of WDW.

nick p

The AMC Theatres are adding new digital technology, a Concession Stand of the Future and Florida’s first Fork & Screen Theater.

UPDATE:
• More than 1,500 new restaurant seats will expand dining options by more than 25 percent.
• The new design makes the waterfront the focal point.
• In the next 30 days, AMC Theater guests will be able to purchase unique, upscale snacks and drinks from interactive, self-service food stations similar to a food court.
• The AMC Fork & Screen Theater will offer restaurant-style dining with seat-side service beginning in spring 2011.
• The projects are expected to create an estimated 600 construction jobs, 500 restaurant, retail and entertainment jobs, and support 100 vendor and supplier jobs.

raven

No, that is incorrect. The original name was also centered around electricity/lighting.

The Nautical theme was not their direction either

The original name for the area was to be Disney's Electrical Waterfront.

I really like the lighting based on what I assume is "Silly Symphonies: Flowers and Trees." They could be very beautiful, and I like the reference to lesser known (represented) Disney works. This was a Hyperion Studios production also. Yay for retroactive synergy!

Glad you picked up on that! That's one of my favorite elements because that animation was Disney's first release in color.

I seem to remember Raven on another post saying that the budget for lighting alone was (proposed) $3.6 million. Not sure what that means for the rest of the budget, but take it for what it is:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=4313084&postcount=1740

That is correct. The original theme, and I believe it still may be, is the golden age of elecricity and around the time the light bulb was invented.

Esp to raven (i think that's who it was) with the leak about the cost of lighting... looking back on it I wonder if it was a tip to the whole thing? :animwink:

Yes it was. :animwink: And that budget still stands as far as I know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom