Waterfront District "Hyperion Wharf" Set to be added to Pleasure Island

lazyboy97o

The same counts could be said about all Disney Parks. If you don't like it, don't go...but this art is far from a mall. No sense in knocking something that you don't know anything about yet. So, feel free to move along! :lol:
"No sense in [praising] something that you don't know anything about yet."
It's a two way street.

s8film40

I wouldn't expect it to look like this concept art if they manage to get businesses to fill these spots they will want to each incorporate their own look. It's really more a what if type concept, if some businesses filled these spots this is what it could be like but the actual look of the area will depend very heavily on what if anything occupies the spaces.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Looks nice, but I can't say I'm horribly impressed with it. I'm actually more excited about the changes to the AMC theater.

But do we really need characters plastered all over the place? The Mickey face and flowers and trees are very unnecessary IMO.
"It worked for the Ayatollah." Irwin Fletcher
:D

Ignohippo

Loving the art. Any move forward is good with me. I really wish there was a bird's-eye view/blueprint of the area. I'm having a hard time in my mind figuring out where everything in the concept art is going.

JustInTime

"No sense in [praising] something that you don't know anything about yet."
It's a two way street.
Well, I am praising what I see. Which is the concept art. it looks stunning. People are complaining that we are getting a shopping mall. We don't know what the plans hold. But I do know that these plans are worth praising. They look great. And I do know about that.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I wouldn't expect it to look like this concept art if they manage to get businesses to fill these spots they will want to each incorporate their own look. It's really more a what if type concept, if some businesses filled these spots this is what it could be like but the actual look of the area will depend very heavily on what if anything occupies the spaces.

I believe Disney are controlling the look and feel of the area. Any third party vendors will need to abide by Disney's design if they want to take part. Disney don't give up control on things like that, and nor should they.

GymLeaderPhil

More information:

-Lego Store will begin it's refurbishment this January, expanding to about 3,500 square feet. New exterior Lego models based off of Disney properties.

-All of the theaters at AMC will be converted to digital.

-AMC's "Concession Stand of the Future" will premiere in about thirty days. Unique and upscale snacks will be available from a self-service interactive food court-esque stations.

-AMC's "Fork and Screen" restaurant style seat-side service will launch this spring. It will be absorbing the theaters and concessions stand currently located near Planet Hollywood.

-Hyperion Wharf, among the the other changes coming to locations at the Marketplace and West Side, will be completed in phases. Per usual, third parties will be intermingled between Disney operated merchandise and dining.

s8film40

I believe Disney are controlling the look and feel of the area. Any third party vendors will need to abide by Disney's design if they want to take part. Disney don't give up control on things like that, and nor should they.

Judging from this concept art and the three years it's been vacant they seem to be having a hard time finding third party vendors. Disney might be a little more willing to work with anyone that actually has some interest in being part of the project. I also don't think that would be the best design choice anyway. After all trying to shoehorn some restaurant into the "Zach Devine" theme might not be the best match, seems more like these are just placeholders.

JustInTime

More information:

-Lego Store will begin it's refurbishment this January, expanding to about 3,500 square feet. New exterior Lego models based off of Disney properties.

it was also announced that Pirates of the Caribbean is coming in Lego form this summer. So, I am sure we will be sing lots of Lego Star Wars, Toy Story and Pirates in the new space!

Mansion Butler

If this ends up looking like the concept art, it certainly will be easier for me to forget the loss of Adventurer’s Club. I’m sure others will still moan and complain about it; I understand the Club was great—I loved it—but things could certainly be a lot worse here. This certainly looks like a step in the right direction to me. But I suppose there will always be those fixated on the negatives.
I think I'm partly with you. This will not get me over the loss of the AC. I'll always love it and miss it, but this certainly would make up for it quite a bit.

AC was the only club I cared about. After that, I cared about the energy of PI; it was a fun place to be just for the atmosphere. A less seedy PI still with the vibrant, busy night time would be even better for me, save for one, sad omission.

I guess there's no reason they couldn't bring in something fresh and AC-esque.

Mansion Butler

And I want to emphasize that last point in case it's a meanginful discussion: haven't not yet read this thread, just the news, is there any reason there couldn't be an immersive, comedic destination similar to what AC offered in this spot?

lazyboy97o

Well, I am praising what I see. Which is the concept art. it looks stunning. People are complaining that we are getting a shopping mall. We don't know what the plans hold. But I do know that these plans are worth praising. They look great. And I do know about that.
Good looking concept art is not exactly difficult to produce. The only announcement made is a new name, a lighting system and an enhanced walkway. That is not a lot of details. Only the lightning really put all of what has been announced outside of the realm of a standard lifestyle center.

There is nothing wrong with Disney doing a shopping center as that is exactly what the original Village was, a shopping center. While the outside nature of lifestyle centers is currently considered to be somewhat novel compared to traditional malls, many of the early malls were outside and would not have been unusual to guests visiting in the Resorts early years. It all comes down to execution.

If this going to work Disney needs to address the transportation issue. "What is a Hyperion Wharf?" needs to be answered quickly and clearly. People know what to expect at a Marketplace. Disney needs to get people away from the end the Marketplace and make the trek into Hyperion Wharf worth the effort. It seems, as of now, their plan is to make it bright object that draws viewing attention. Let's just hope people do not associate all of those bright lights with adult oriented nighttime entertainment.

lightning509s

Apologies everyone! I'm not sold on this whole "Boutique/Restaurant" thing. DTD is already saturated with these venues. Concept art does look great, but so did the concept art for DCA and we all know what happened there. Let's pray that it doesn't end up being all "smoke and mirrors!"

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Judging from this concept art and the three years it's been vacant they seem to be having a hard time finding third party vendors. Disney might be a little more willing to work with anyone that actually has some interest in being part of the project. I also don't think that would be the best design choice anyway. After all trying to shoehorn some restaurant into the "Zach Devine" theme might not be the best match, seems more like these are just placeholders.

I dont think I quite get your point. No one is going to try to make an eatery fit into some sort of "Zach Devine" theme. They only have to be able to use a building that, on the outside, is themed to be a wharf/waterfront building. Basically, the big brick buildings shown in the concept art. Disney is not going to say "Hey, restaurant group, make us a Zach Devine restaurant". They just have to make sure to say that their restaurant / shop needs to fit into the building concepts that they are building. Am I misunderstanding your point? The future (and for all we know, there could be many talks currently in various states) places just need to know that Disney is going to theme their surroundings, and they can't just plop a standard McDonalds building down into their waterfront area. The same with any other themed area that 3rd parties operate in.

Magenta Panther

Details and concept art here: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...perion-wharf-among-plans-for-downtown-disney/

If this ends up looking like the concept art, it certainly will be easier for me to forget the loss of Adventurer’s Club. I’m sure others will still moan and complain about it; I understand the Club was great—I loved it—but things could certainly be a lot worse here. This certainly looks like a step in the right direction to me. But I suppose there will always be those fixated on the negatives.

I really regret missing out on the Adventurer's Club, and still think it could be successfully relocated within AK - but this Hyperion Wharf looks sweet. And I really like the name, and its connection with Walt Disney. Bring it on! Can't wait!

PKD

Looks nice, but I can't say I'm horribly impressed with it. I'm actually more excited about the changes to the AMC theater.

But do we really need characters plastered all over the place? The Mickey face and flowers and trees are very unnecessary IMO.

If you look closely between two of the concept art pictures where the mickey face is located, you might notice something different about that location in the pictures. Also, his image isn't a facade or painted....

Based on rumblings, I also wouldn't be surprised to see the theme extended in the future to the Market Place/West Side. What that extent would be? Who knows.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Just on a slightly related/different note - well done to some of our regular posters - a lot of what has been said here over the last few weeks has materialized into these plans. Nice work!

Back to the thread :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom