Waterfront District "Hyperion Wharf" Set to be added to Pleasure Island

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Perhaps not the best example, since Universal has a single parking facility for both parks as well as Citywalk. If the only access to DTD was via TTC, for example, then it would be comparable.

Since I think I've been to Citywalk only once, and can't remember how the parking was handled, this question comes up.

If I want to go to Citywalk, do I have to pay to park? If so, then it is comparable. Disney did not make the only way to get to DTD via a paid parking structure (as in TTC), they provided free parking. If it is easy to get to Citywalk without paying for parking, that is another story.

Mammymouse

I'd like to differ that the fancy scmancy malls of LA, etc. are all over suburban America. I know there are none in the whole State of RI, and don't know of any similar in the surrounding CT and Mass areas either, and my other reference area would be where in Florida are they? I know of some nice Malls but not of the caliber of having trolleys and botanical gardens and the like. I want to keep this conversation light and informative :D and I'm not saying this to get anyone upset. I think just because you may have them in your home town you may think there are more of them out there than there are. Just my observation, and maybe I am wrong. :)

The other thing I'm curious about is what else really can Disney do to one-up these big expensive fancy Malls? You can only do so much to theme restaurants and shops, and I don't think they'll add any rides because of competition to the Parks. I would say the only thing that could be added is entertainment options.

Wilt Dasney

The other thing I'm curious about is what else really can Disney do to one-up these big expensive fancy Malls? You can only do so much to theme restaurants and shops, and I don't think they'll wouldn't add any rides because of competition to the Parks. I would say the only thing that could be added is entertainment options.
I've been wondering this too, in relation to the posts saying the rest of America has caught up to Disney. What else can Disney do to maintain some arbitrary standard of outstripping "normal" life? Add roller coasters to their stores? Put in BIGGER fountains? Elevate all of DTD to 5 stories off the ground and enclose it in glass?

At some point, I think there's only so much you can do to "plus" a free access shopping district, and if places outside Disney are also reaching that level, then I guess it's just all the better for people who live in those places. :shrug:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I've been wondering this too, in relation to the posts saying the rest of America has caught up to Disney. What else can Disney do to maintain some arbitrary standard of outstripping "normal" life? Add roller coasters to their stores? Put in BIGGER fountains? Elevate all of DTD to 5 stories off the ground and enclose it in glass?

At some point, I think there's only so much you can do to "plus" a free access shopping district, and if places outside Disney are also reaching that level, then I guess it's just all the better for people who live in those places. :shrug:

You forgot the indoor "thrill-ride" roller coaster Disney would need to install as well.....:rolleyes:

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Some things before I start here:
1) I know that this will not happen
2) I will not be dissappointed when what I know will not happen, in fact, does not happen
3) I know Disney is looking strictly 3rd party here, so it is covered by statement 1
4) I know it's been mentioned before on other posts/forums, just bringing it up again because I feel strongly about it. In fact, I've been one of those bringing it up on many of said posts/forums...

That being said:

Am I the only one that thinks that a version of Tiana's Palace from PatF would fit in to HW perfectly?
-- The timeframe seems to fit into the HW theme "early 20th century"
-- The movie version was an old waterfront factory converted to a restaurant, seems to fit the theme
-- The concept of a Jazz/supper club from the 20s/30s serving Creole / Cajun / New Orleans food would add an "event" or "destination" to the concepts in DTD and HW, and would IMO add something to draw people in.

Again, I know it's not happening. I do like everything I've seen so far on HW, and am looking forward to more information as it is released. Just call this a little Armchair Imagineering. Also, if I missed this alrady mentioned in one of the other pages, I appologize...

Testtrack321

You forgot the indoor "thrill-ride" roller coaster Disney would need to install as well.....:rolleyes:

So, what I'm getting here is that Project Gemini was SUPPOSED to be for DTD to "unite" the two sides of DTD, West Side and Marketplace? IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE NOW.

Time Racers -> Virgin Megastore
Rainforest Coaster -> outside of Rainforest Cafe

Then they'll move the Leave a Legacy to DTD.

OF COURSE!

:lol::lookaroun:hammer:

Mickey_777

I'd like to differ that the fancy scmancy malls of LA, etc. are all over suburban America. I know there are none in the whole State of RI, and don't know of any similar in the surrounding CT and Mass areas either, and my other reference area would be where in Florida are they? I know of some nice Malls but not of the caliber of having trolleys and botanical gardens and the like. I want to keep this conversation light and informative :D and I'm not saying this to get anyone upset. I think just because you may have them in your home town you may think there are more of them out there than there are. Just my observation, and maybe I am wrong. :)

The other thing I'm curious about is what else really can Disney do to one-up these big expensive fancy Malls? You can only do so much to theme restaurants and shops, and I don't think they'll wouldn't add any rides because of competition to the Parks. I would say the only thing that could be added is entertainment options.

Bingo.

Yet another person that gets it.

There are multiple lifestyle/outdoor centers and malls in my area but none come close to "the feel" of what DTD offers (even in it's current state).

tizzo

Since I think I've been to Citywalk only once, and can't remember how the parking was handled, this question comes up.

If I want to go to Citywalk, do I have to pay to park?

The last time I was there (more than a few years ago), yes, you had to pay to go to Citywalk. There is one parking structure for both parks and Citywalk, and you have to pay to get into it.

If so, then it is comparable.

The reason it is not comparable is because DTD has it's own parking and Citywalk doesn't. If Citywalk had separate parking distinct from theme park parking, and they charged money to park there, then yes it would be comparable.

Disney did not make the only way to get to DTD via a paid parking structure (as in TTC), they provided free parking.

Correct. Which distinguishes DTD from Citywalk, and which comes back around to my original point. Universal doesn't make you pay for parking for Citywalk, they make you pay for parking for the entire complex including both theme parks.

Mammymouse

Some things before I start here:
1) I know that this will not happen
2) I will not be dissappointed when what I know will not happen, in fact, does not happen
3) I know Disney is looking strictly 3rd party here, so it is covered by statement 1
4) I know it's been mentioned before on other posts/forums, just bringing it up again because I feel strongly about it. In fact, I've been one of those bringing it up on many of said posts/forums...

That being said:

Am I the only one that thinks that a version of Tiana's Palace from PatF would fit in to HW perfectly?
-- The timeframe seems to fit into the HW theme "early 20th century"
-- The movie version was an old waterfront factory converted to a restaurant, seems to fit the theme
-- The concept of a Jazz/supper club from the 20s/30s serving Creole / Cajun / New Orleans food would add an "event" or "destination" to the concepts in DTD and HW, and would IMO add something to draw people in.

Again, I know it's not happening. I do like everything I've seen so far on HW, and am looking forward to more information as it is released. Just call this a little Armchair Imagineering. Also, if I missed this alrady mentioned in one of the other pages, I appologize...

Sounds like a great idea to me! I've heard it said that jazz is supposed to be a "musician's" music, and together with the authentic New Orleans food - Voila! a great combination. My first thought when I saw the movie was now where could Disney put a Tiana restaurant?

lightning509s

Check this website out to see what Disney could "potentially" do...

http://www.instantshift.com/2009/02/19/80-strange-and-fantastic-buildings-architecture/

inluvwithbeast

I know!!! They could make it completely free! Free entertainment! Free dining! Free merch!!! All you have to do is swipe your Key to the World! ... Oh and purchase this special HW ticket package... That you will have to sell your firstborn in order to afford... :lookaroun

TP2000

Citywalk at Universal charge for parking in most cases.

Downtown Disney at Disneyland charges for parking beyond 3 hours. The first 3 hours are free, then they start charging 6 bucks an hour. Valet parking at DTD Disneyland is 6 bucks, plus any hourly charges and a tip to the CM who runs to get your car.

Citywalk Hollywood is 15 bucks to park there. The Americana and The Grove malls charge per hour, with some validations available through the first 3 hours. Valet parking at those locations is 10 bucks, plus hourly parking charges and a tip.

I find Downtown Disney WDW to be one of the exceptions to the rule that you have to pay to park at big and/or swanky entertainment malls.

TP2000

BTW, do any of the places you mention have a DisneyQuest and a Cirque show?

Well, no. There's only one DisneyQuest in the world, and Circque du Soleil does not have a permanent theater anywhere in Southern California.

But, The Grove mall does bring Cirque du Soleil troops over to LA from Las Vegas to perform free shows in the mall, as part of their changing mall entertainment. Most recently in August, Cirque du Soleil brought in six acts from the six Las Vegas Cirque shows to The Grove to perform for shoppers near the lagoon in the middle of the mall. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6LJES6OS4c

The point is that the level of showmanship, a trait Disney was once far ahead of the competition on, has been rising steadily amongst non-Disney entertainment venues for 20 years. Disney's been making baby steps, while some competitors are making giant leaps. Turning an abandoned Pleasure Island into Hyperion Wharf isn't exactly a giant leap on Disney's part. In my opinion, of course. :)

whylightbulb

The other thing I'm curious about is what else really can Disney do to one-up these big expensive fancy Malls? You can only do so much to theme restaurants and shops, and I don't think they'll add any rides because of competition to the Parks. I would say the only thing that could be added is entertainment options.
Well how about some unique restaurant concepts like http://www.attractiondesignservices.com/monarch.html or something like Sarastro in London or the underwater restaurant similar to the one in Maldives or how about a unique high-tech interactive show like http://www.attractiondesignservices.com/adlib.html as just a few examples? All it takes is some imagination and a willingness to return to the philosphies that made the Walt Disney Company great at one time.

jt04

Those would be the attractions. Disney tried the whole shopping/dining as a park idea, and they are spending over $1 billion to fix that mistake. People are not going to skip the parks just to see Downtown Disney, no matter how many pretty lights they string up.

Well, no. There's only one DisneyQuest in the world, and Circque du Soleil does not have a permanent theater anywhere in Southern California.

But, The Grove mall does bring Cirque du Soleil troops over to LA from Las Vegas to perform free shows in the mall, as part of their changing mall entertainment. Most recently in August, Cirque du Soleil brought in six acts from the six Las Vegas Cirque shows to The Grove to perform for shoppers near the lagoon in the middle of the mall. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6LJES6OS4c

The point is that the level of showmanship, a trait Disney was once far ahead of the competition on, has been rising steadily amongst non-Disney entertainment venues for 20 years. Disney's been making baby steps, while some competitors are making giant leaps. Turning an abandoned Pleasure Island into Hyperion Wharf isn't exactly a giant leap on Disney's part. In my opinion, of course. :)

I hear what you are saying but I really believe that TDO does not want DtD to be too magical. I think they have found the perfect balance here. Enough to draw in locals and guests after park hours but not so compelling that it hurts park attendance. It is a "lifestyle center" and not a Theme Park. I'm not joking when I say they have it right with HW. I'm convinced they do.

I will add one more thing. Some folks here belive complaining got the FLE reimagined. So now Disney is going to have to live with the monster they created. Perhaps they will end up adding a runaway mine train coaster to DtD to appease the malcontents. :lol:

RandySavage

The historic (built in the 1850s) Westminster Arcade (RI) is special in that it's an architectural landmark and one of the last European-style shopping arcades still standing in the U.S.. Providence Place, with the adjacent Riverwalk and Waterplace Park, is a similar experience to DTD (with waterside artists and entertainers). So there are two similar shopping areas right there in your home state of RI - granted in the city, but RI is so small that the entire state is within a 40 mile radius of Providence. I could name many more "unique" malls in MA & CT that are in the same league. These may not be as good as DTD in one's opinion, but it's hard to deny that they are playing in the same league.

On top of that, you then have scores of historic villages (now centered around tourism), like Quechee, VT or Mystic, CT, which are authentic versions of what the Disney Village attempts to replicate.

That is where creativity, imagination and vision come into play. In the age of amusement parks, I'm sure people said, "What else can anyone do to one-up Coney Island, except build bigger coasters?" Then Walt Disney came along with a complete re-imagining of what an amusement park could be.

One could think outside the box. With regards to a retail & dining district, it doesn't necessarily mean additional layers of themeing or entertainment, but could be a previously un-thought-of experience.

My family and I are not really into shopping. I don't particularly like or dislike the current or planned Downtown Disney. My point is that DTD is - and always has been - a fairly ordinary place. Pleasure Island, when it was at full steam, was a fairly unique experience, IMO.

When I think of shopping environments that have left a really good impression on me I come up with only five:
A) The impressively grand & highly-themed Forum, Parisian and Desert Passage (near extinct) malls in Las Vegas
B) Fifth Ave & SoHo in NYC
C) The aforementioned Quechee Gorge Village in VT
D) Magic Kingdom before the obliteration of its retail diversity at the hands of Pressler.
E) EPCOT Center World Showcase at full diversity, people & merch-wise.

Thinking out loud about what these positive shopping experiences have in common:
A) Highly detailed, beautifully-designed and -built interiors & exteriors.
B) Unique, one-of-a-kind (often-hand-made) merchandise that is aligned with location's geographic & temporal background (theme)
C) Natural beauty (landscaping / water features) & shade
D) Merchants who know and care about the items they are offering
E) No giant, barren parking lots adjacent to shops

DTD doesn't really excel in any of the above... which is I why I will continue to avoid it.

RandySavage

Well how about some unique restaurant concepts like http://www.attractiondesignservices.com/monarch.html or something like Sarastro in London or the underwater restaurant similar to the one in Maldives or how about a unique high-tech interactive show like http://www.attractiondesignservices.com/adlib.html as just a few examples? All it takes is some imagination and a willingness to return to the philosphies that made the Walt Disney Company great at one time.

Yes! Cool links.

Krack

It's a tough question, no doubt about it. What if they built a complex of themed entertainment venues and night clubs. They could be designed specifically for adults; they could even charge admission to the entire area to prevent local teenagers from congregating there like it's the mall. Each venue would feature a different kind of entertainment - dancing, comedians, hip hop music, 70s and 80s rock ... perhaps even a perpetually running "dinner theater" type venue featuring a series of skits and performances. Then, to really go the extra mile and provide something you can't get anywhere else, they could celebrate midnight every evening as though it's New Years Eve complete with a countdown and fireworks and dancing. The whole area would, of course, have an elaborate Disney-style backstory adding cohesiveness.

I don't think you can find anything like this at the local mall, but it might be a bit beyond current Disney management's imagination, so I will not hold my breath.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom