Waterfront District "Hyperion Wharf" Set to be added to Pleasure Island

JustInTime

Sorry...you lose points on that one. Your credibility goes out he window by judging anyone based upon their use of a saying that another person may or may not have ever said.

I am not the one trying to prove anything or gain credibility here. So consider me -1. :shrug:

Krack

If you use a quote Sarah Plain has EVER used in her life, you creditability is out the window. Sorry. :wave:

How politically savvy of you. You're like a Mark Twain for our time. :rolleyes:

HINT: Political references only serve to antagonize on the internet; 95% of the time, they don't even further debates on politics-based message boards.

JustInTime

How politically savvy of you. You're like a Mark Twain for our time. :rolleyes:

HINT: Political references only serve to antagonize on the internet; 95% of the time, they don't even further debates on politics-based message boards.

Who said I was attempting to be "Mark Twain"? I was merely making a joke. And I stand my it.

Hint: It's just a message board.

SeaCastle

...and you lose credibility when you state that the name "Hyperion Wharf" sounds "sophisticated".

I think it sounds sophisticated. There goes my credibility.

Attention WDWMagic- Please disregard all of my future posts. I have lost my credibility because I have an opinion that's different.

:rolleyes:

JustInTime

YEAH Sophisticated Presidential Pigs will be added to Pleasure Island! I can't wait to see them when I go to Disney World Dec 2010!!111 Thanks for the info!!!1

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Well this is one thread I never expected to turn political. Who knew light bulbs, restaurants, and retail outlets were so controversial. :shrug:

DisneyWall-E

I can't wait to shop at Hyperion Mall.

And here I thought Disney was about providing entertainment you can't see anywhere else. And yes, I know there are going to be pretty lights. But as the saying goes, "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig."

They are providing something you cant find at a local mall(a Disney experience), or are you trying to say something along the lines like the Magic Kingdom is just like every other Six Flags because they are both amusemet parks:rolleyes:

lazyboy97o

They are providing something you cant find at a local mall(a Disney experience), or are you trying to say something along the lines like the Magic Kingdom is just like every other Six Flags because they are both amusemet parks:rolleyes:
"A Disney Experience" needs to be defined. Just repeating these lines does not make them a reality. Downtown Disney is much more like a Lifestyle Center (Wikipedia Page). These types of developments are already clean, offer upscale shopping and dining, and try to put an emphasis on being more than a typical mall. The outside world has been catching up with Disney

TP2000

"A Disney Experience" needs to be defined. Just repeating these lines does not make them a reality. Downtown Disney is much more like a Lifestyle Center (Wikipedia Page). These types of developments are already clean, offer upscale shopping and dining, and try to put an emphasis on being more than a typical mall. The outside world has been catching up with Disney

Couldn't have said it better!

That was my point with all those silly pictures of trolleys running through SoCal shopping malls. The outside world has not only caught up with a few of Disney's latest projects, but in some cases it has passed it by. :eek:

I've lived in a couple small American cities in my life, not unlike what I imagine Dothan, Alabama is like where DisneyWall-e is from. There is much good to be said about raising a family in the smaller cities and towns of this great country. But so many of us don't live in the Dothan, Alabama's of the world, we live in the LA's and Seattle's and Chicago's, etc. What decent mall in those big cities doesn't have a Rainforest Cafe and upscale swanky themeing and valet parking and a trolley or big ferris wheel? :confused:

If you live in a smaller community where this is the standard by which you judge retail environments...

Wal-Mart Shopping Center, Sanford, North Carolina
strip-pano.jpg
walmart.jpg

Then, sure, Hyperion Wharf is going to seem fabulously exciting and unique and worth every vacation penny.

But if you live in a big city where this is the standard by which you judge retail environments...

The Americana, Glendale, California
americana.jpg
lax-ht-americana-062909-05.jpg

Then Hyperion Wharf is going to look and feel like the entertainment mall back home, without the trolley service. :rolleyes:

I don't think it's so much an issue of Disney lowering their standards, as Hyperion Wharf does look nicely designed and the architecture and design of Pleasure Island circa 1989 wasn't anything ground breaking, it was the overall concept that made PI so unique. But I do think it's an issue of Disney not keeping up with the best examples of contemporary entertainment options. Disney should be three steps ahead of the latest entertainment malls in the country, not running neck and neck with them.

RandySavage

^Both of the above are good points and the same goes for the resorts.

Countless developments/condos/towns/resorts have been built over the last 20 years all over the country that look exactly like Disney's Saratoga, Old Key West, etc. lightly "themed" resorts. I look out my window and see about 50 mid-rise, modern condos that could pass for the new Bay Lake Tower. A lot of WDW has become very ordinary, due to (i) a lack of boldness on the part of Disney and (ii) the rest of the world emulating the entertainment architecture that Disney helped define.

And you don't have to be in a big or small city to experience upscale, lightly-themed outdoor shopping malls - suburban America is saturated with them.

TP2000, that was a brilliant post and sums up quite nicely why attention to detail at WDW is often lacking. Different demographics have different expectations.

jt04

Thank you. I'm glad my rambling made sense. :)

I'd just make a couple points.

I'm quite certain Disney does not want to create an environment at DtD that ends up competing with the theme parks on property. That has to be a consideration in the final design. It has to be something that draws locals but does not diminish ticket sales. A tricky proposition I'm sure.

Since we don't know all the details of HW it really is not fair to pass judgement.

And finally, this is likely only a first step with people hinting more details are pending including for the West Side. DtD will be like a Disney park in one respect I think. It will always be changing and getting better. And it is pretty awesome now.

BTW, do any of the places you mention have a DisneyQuest and a Cirque show?

Mickey_777

The news about HW being split into 3 neighborhoods and the lighting features sound exciting to me. Besides, last I checked, DTD is free. Until they begin charging us to enter, arguments about how it's just another "lifestyle" center/mall are uncalled for in my opinion. Even if we were to view it as such, we should be saying it will "the nicest free and Disney themed lifestyle shopping center in the world." Say the world "free" out lound and you'll feel better about the whole thing (hopefully).

s8film40

The news about HW being split into 3 neighborhoods and the lighting features sound exciting to me. Besides, last I checked, DTD is free. Until they begin charging us to enter, arguments about how it's just another "lifestyle" center/mall are uncalled for in my opinion. Even if we were to view it as such, we should be saying it will "the nicest free and Disney themed lifestyle shopping center in the world." Say the world "free" out lound and you'll feel better about the whole thing (hopefully).

I would hardly call DTD free. Yes you don't pay admission at the door, but just try to go to DTD with no money and see how good of a time you have. DTD is not free it just follows a different business model designed to make people think it's free. Apparently it works.

lazyboy97o

I'm quite certain Disney does not want to create an environment at DtD that ends up competing with the theme parks on property. That has to be a consideration in the final design. It has to be something that draws locals but does not diminish ticket sales. A tricky proposition I'm sure.
Those would be the attractions. Disney tried the whole shopping/dining as a park idea, and they are spending over $1 billion to fix that mistake. People are not going to skip the parks just to see Downtown Disney, no matter how many pretty lights they string up.

Since we don't know all the details of HW it really is not fair to pass judgement.
Unless of course that prejudgement results in excitement...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom