Waterfront District "Hyperion Wharf" Set to be added to Pleasure Island

Mickey_777

I would hardly call DTD free. Yes you don't pay admission at the door, but just try to go to DTD with no money and see how good of a time you have. DTD is not free it just follows a different business model designed to make people think it's free. Apparently it works.

I personally have never been obligated to buy anything at DTD. Free parking. Free admission. That's what I meant. My wife and I have spend a few evenings, after having dinner somewhere else, just walking around and browsing the shops. Didn't buy a thing and had a good time.

s8film40

I personally have never been obligated to buy anything at DTD. Free parking. Free admission. That's what I meant. My wife and I have spend a few evenings, after having dinner somewhere else, just walking around and browsing the shops. Didn't buy a thing and had a good time.

Yes there is no obligation to buy anything but there is simply nothing to do if your not willing to spend money except for people watch and enjoying the atmosphere. Every mall has "Mall Walkers" they're just not really part of the business equation.

lazyboy97o

The news about HW being split into 3 neighborhoods and the lighting features sound exciting to me. Besides, last I checked, DTD is free. Until they begin charging us to enter, arguments about how it's just another "lifestyle" center/mall are uncalled for in my opinion.
What lifestyle centers and malls are you visiting that charge admission or charge for parking?

Even if we were to view it as such, we should be saying it will "the nicest free and Disney themed lifestyle shopping center in the world."
How do we know it will be nice?

jakeman

Unless of course that prejudgement results in excitement...
It's not so much people saying they like it or they don't like it.

It's the soul-crushing, methodical deconstruction of every aspect of the concept art and announcement. That coupled with the trend of expecting additions to the project that were never included in either the art or the announcement, reading threads about any announcements from Disney recently has been an exercise in futility.

It's one thing to say, "Hey that's pretty cool art, I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops" or "That art doesn't appeal to me, perhaps the implementation will be to my liking". It's a completely other thing to go on a multi-post diatribe on everything from the name to the concept itself.

The amount of effort put into not liking something around here is staggering.

disnyfan89

When Pleasure Island opened at Downtown Disney in 1989, a gallon of gas cost 97 cents, families were gathering around the television to watch "The Cosby Show," Bobby McFerrin was singing "Don't Worry Be Happy," and "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and "The Little Mermaid" were box office hits. Two decades later, the six-acre venue flanked by the West Side and Marketplace had become as dated as acid-washed jeans and dresses with shoulder pads.

In 2008, Walt Disney Imagineering began developing a holistic, overarching vision for all of Downtown Disney, including the redesign of Pleasure Island into a more family-friendly experience featuring a mix of shopping, dining and nighttime entertainment. The WDI team included Principal Show Designer Alex Wright, Senior Project Manager Frank Paris and Director of Master Planning David Stofcik.

Working with Downtown Disney Project Manager Nancy Belanger, the WDI team began exploring how to repurpose the district originally built as a gated venue, and master plan a seamless experience in line with other Downtown Disney offerings. "A big challenge we asked of WDI was to open up the waterfront to better showcase our greatest asset, which is Village Lake," Nancy said. Along with the theming and story development process, Imagineers also had to address tactical considerations such as meeting Downtown Disney's deficit of food and beverage service options and working with existing Pleasure Island tenants including Fulton's Crab House, Portobello Restaurant, Raglan Road Irish Pub & Restaurant and Paradiso 37.

Placemaking was another important consideration. "We all wanted the island district to be relevant - a social gathering spot with inviting and intimate spaces where all of our guests can relax," Alex explained. "A place where they feel comfortable lingering; perhaps spending an evening sampling different offerings, having a nice meal, strolling the water's edge and stopping later for dessert or coffee." This meant the existing architecture – predominantly big night club structures with controlled environments – had to be repurposed to a more comfortable scale that improved the pedestrian experience and took advantage of its lakeside location. Imagineers also wanted it to be a definably Disney place.

The theme that emerged centered on a time period that inspired Walt Disney and the Company's early days. Alex described the story driver: "The 1920s were a time of grand visions and exuberance and an optimistic sensibility that we can all relate to. Electric lighting was a novelty then and it spurred a proliferation of amusement parks like Coney Island and Luna Park. In fact, Disney lore tells the story of young Walt and his sister looking through the gates at Electric Park in Kansas City and watching the lights come on at night; a memory that became the inspiration for the moment when the Main Street lights are turned on in the Magic Kingdom." As a result, lighting emerged as an important component of the theme.

The waterfront venue's new name – Hyperion Wharf – is a nod to Disney’s early heritage. Hyperion is a reference to the street address of the Walt Disney Studio in Los Angeles where Walt used light to project moving images to create his early animation including the Oswald the Rabbitcartoons, Steamboat Willie, Ferdinand the Bull, and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Serendipity erased any concerns about the unfamiliar name. "While Hyperion is a key word in the history of The Walt Disney Company, it never has been incorporated into any of the Florida theme parks and experiences," said Alex. "Then we discovered that Hyperion also is the Greek god of light, and that brought the whole theme full circle for us. Everything clicked and a lot of things fell into place."

From an architectural standpoint, Imagineers drew inspiration from the industrialized look of the time period. To make the existing assets and architecture fit into the core design, they divided the island into three sub-neighborhoods. The area closest to Marketplace is designed as a port or shipyard and features Fulton's Crab House, in the former Empress Lilly riverboat replica docked on the waterfront, and a ferry terminal building.
Anchored by Raglan Road, the center of the island is fashioned after a dockside wharf with canals, boardwalks and heavily industrialized-looking buildings. The former Mannequins Dance Palace is being repurposed and will be presented as an industrial factory reminiscent of Thomas Edison's workshop, while Paradiso 37 reflects the look of a port authority building or a waterfront receiving warehouse. The third area nearest the West Side has the feel of an amusement pier from the heydays of Coney Island and Luna Park.

A new element is a lakeside park at the island’s center that features an amphitheater and waterside promenade where guests can relax and enjoy the view while being entertained by live musicians. A key element of the park is a Vintage Electro-Vision – imagine an Edison-era jumbotron – that uses incandescent lamps to create a low-definition monochromatic amber-colored video presentation that is eventually interspersed with LEDs for more color and fidelity.

At the end of the day, lighting becomes the common thread throughout Hyperion Wharf that links the three venues together. Alex described Imagineers' two-staged approach to this core design theme. "Beginning at twilight, there is a 'moment' when a cast member flips a big contact switch; you hear the sounds of generators whirling to life and the lighting spider-webs its way around the island. Later in the evening, as people start gathering after dinner and the character of the island becomes more animated and vibrant, the lighting takes on a contemporary feel, shifting more to a saturated color palatte with sculptural lighting and building washes."

Frank noted that the story line and supporting theme, architecture and other elements create a sensory experience. "The new district has an urban sensibility found in a restaurant district with all the things that appeal to your senses – the glow on the street from restaurants and shops, the sight of food being prepared, the smell of great food, and the sounds of people enjoying time together," he explained.

Nancy's praise for WDI and its work on Hyperion Wharf is electric. "As the Downtown Disney operator, we are excited to have a story line, a strategy and a master plan. The Imagineering team collectively understands and respects the operations side of our business, and they worked very hard to integrate our needs into the story line and environment."

Sent to me by a friend

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

It's the soul-crushing, methodical deconstruction of every aspect of the concept art and announcement. That coupled with the trend of expecting additions to the project that were never included in either the art or the announcement, reading threads about any announcements from Disney recently has been an exercise in futility.

It's one thing to say, "Hey that's pretty cool art, I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops" or "That art doesn't appeal to me, perhaps the implementation will be to my liking". It's a completely other thing to go on a multi-post diatribe on everything from the name to the concept itself.

Seems to be true of almost everything these days. From my observations it would appear that hating something is the cool thing to do. It is almost like enjoying something would make those people less sophisticated in the eyes of the peers.

Mickey_777

What lifestyle centers and malls are you visiting that charge admission or charge for parking?

How do we know it will be nice?

My main point is that people are complaining about a free/DTD experience. Besides that, it'll free and it will be new.

Off the top of head, Pentagon City here in D.C. charges for parking.

Citywalk at Universal charge for parking in most cases.

Another prime example.

Lee

Adventurer
Seems to be true of almost everything these days. From my observations it would appear that hating something is the cool thing to do. It is almost like enjoying something would make those people less sophisticated in the eyes of the peers.

Personally, I don't hate the new concept for what it is or for what it has.
I hate it for what it doesn't have.

Some may see me as close-minded, or short sighted. So be it. The heart overrules the head in this instance.

s8film40

I really disagree, I try to find things to like but Disney seems to take away several of the good things for every one good thing they add. Staying positive is increasingly harder and harder to do. DTD is a great example of this they take out a gated attraction featuring what is arguably the richest themed experience on WDW property and then excitedly announce that they are replacing it with shops and restaurants, and we are supposed to view this as a positive thing? We lose something that is a unique one of a kind experience and now it's replaced with something that can be found in any city in America.

jakeman

We call those hipsters...:lookaroun :lol:
I really disagree, I try to find things to like but Disney seems to take away several of the good things for every one good thing they add. Staying positive is increasingly harder and harder to do. DTD is a great example of this they take out a gated attraction featuring what is arguably the richest themed experience on WDW property and then excitedly announce that they are replacing it with shops and restaurants, and we are supposed to view this as a positive thing? We lose something that is a unique one of a kind experience and now it's replaced with something that can be found in any city in America.
How do you know what is being put here can be found any where else in America? All you have is some drawings and a press release.

Really, all anyone is doing here is boiling this announcement down to its bare essentials to make a point. If that is the argument that is going to be made, wasn't the Adventure's Club nothing more than a themed nightly improv show?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Some may see me as close-minded, or short sighted. So be it. The heart overrules the head in this instance.
I feel your pain. I wish some version of the AC was in the plans for this area but I just don't see it ever happening. Disney want's a family friendly strip mall with some stretmosphere sprinkled in here and there and it looks like Hyperion Warf will give them exactly that.

I am just holding onto hope that maybe, just maybe the AC will return as a dinner show/club to AKL.

inluvwithbeast

This. It really does amaze me sometimes. I understand that it's a forum and if there is a place for multi-post diatribes about why Disney's latest move is a bad idea, it definitely would be here. It just gets old sometimes. As someone who lurks more than posts, this is just me "on the outside looking in."

jakeman

I think the difference with you Lee is the acknowledgment that you are going to dislike it just because it doesn't have the AC. :lol:

That's a refreshing change from the smoke and mirrors of the bluster of other posters.

inluvwithbeast

There is nothing new under the sun. If you strip everything to the bones as this thread seems to do with HW, everything is something else somewhere else. It's all been done before. No human experience is unique.

Anyway, in times like these I think we should ask ourselves WWWD?
What Would Walt Do?
Lol.

s8film40

How do you know what is being put here can be found any where else in America? All you have is some drawings and a press release.

Well I'm assuming Disney was being truthful in the press release and drawings. They made it pretty clear that they were adding shops and restaurants primarily developed from outside vendors.

jakeman

Well I'm assuming Disney was being truthful in the press release and drawings. They made it pretty clear that they were adding shops and restaurants primarily developed from outside vendors.
We can find omnimovers, roller-coasters, and cartoon characters in other places in America as well. Should we just stop partaking in WDW all together? Because by your logic, if something has the same components as elsewhere, then it is the same thing.

devoy1701

I wonder if maybe we'll see a model of Hyperion Wharf in One Man's Dream? Maybe this is part of what was going to be opening up in there next month?

tizzo

Citywalk at Universal charge for parking in most cases.

Perhaps not the best example, since Universal has a single parking facility for both parks as well as Citywalk. If the only access to DTD was via TTC, for example, then it would be comparable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom