Waterfront District "Hyperion Wharf" Set to be added to Pleasure Island

OliveMcFly

I've got to say, I'm proud of the hardcore Disneyphiles ... they have basically taken over the blog's comment section with plugs for the Adventurers Club. It's almost every comment now.

EDIT: From the blog comments ...

NICE!

It's fate is obvious but as human beings we all like to have that little ounce of hope for the things we love.

OliveMcFly

No thanks.
If it ain't the Club, it's just a building. One with too many memories to make going in there painful.
:mad:

Good point. Wouldn't we all just be sitting there saying "that's where" or "I remember when". At this point I would put happiness at 5%, sadness at 95%.

SMRT-1

the disney blog - it's amazing how with just a pretty picture people are so impressed. there isn't anything of any real substance that was announced here. it's like....hey! you get to look at water now! yay! :lol:

Thrill Seeker

Ok, I'm a little late to the party with this announcement because I have been away from home for the past few days. To be completely honest, I don't like it.

1. The name sucks. Pleasure Island had a nice ring to it. Hyperion Warf? Hey kids, let's have dinner at Hyperion Warf! It just sounds stupid.

2. There's nothing different about it. Now granted, we don't know what exactly is coming in terms of shops and restaurants, but from the sound of things, it's nothing different from what is already at DTD.

3. One of the things Universal did very well with Citywalk is that there is lots of entertainment options. Yes, it is a lot smaller than DTD, but in addition to shopping and dining, Citywalk has AMC, Blue Man Group, a karaoke bar featuring a live band and back up singers, several clubs and Hard Rock Live. Disney has House of Blues for concerts, DisneyQuest which is really washed up, AMC and Cirque. I would have liked to have seen more entertainment options coming rather than more shopping and dining.

That's my rant. Discuss away.

MKCP 1985

kinda like how so many missed my post about the announcement forthcoming which would shed some light on the project.

I think you and I have provided a lot of carefully chosen post regarding the waterfront.

This space is planning on being used fully to the max, it will be a pretty sweet deal.

something to chew on. . .

s8film40

Reactive FAQs:(What they really mean)

1. Why are you announcing this now (when you have so few details)?

(We haven't been able to attract tenants and now hope to do so by generating some hype with concept art.)
To make way for "Hyperion Wharf," guests will begin to see construction(Walls) and several changes (demolition) throughout Downtown Disney very soon.

2. Why did it take so long for you to share your plans for Pleasure Island?

As you may recall, our announcement was about making numerous enhancements to Downtown Disney and Pleasure Island was just one element of that. (Yes we said we had a "Bold new vision for Pleasure Island" but we want you to forget about that) We’ve made significant progress over the past couple of years on our vision for Downtown Disney (Things haven't worked out like we planned) and we’ve shared it along the way, (Now we'd like to tell you about some things that are completely unrelated to Pleasure Island but just happened to have been added to DTD) including:
New entertainment, such as the Characters in Flight tethered balloon ride, the ETX theater at AMC Pleasure Island and an enhanced outdoor performance area;
Unique shopping experiences like D-Street, LittleMissMatched, RIDEMAKERZ, Trend-D and Disney’s Design-A-Tee; and
Immersive dining, like T-Rex and Paradiso 37 and the recently opened Pollo Campero and Fresh Appeal, a quick-service restaurant combining Latin-style chicken and side dishes, as well as fresh, healthy creations such as salads, wraps and gluten-free desserts.

3. If it was going to take two years to begin work on Pleasure Island why did you close the clubs so far in advance?

It was the right decision for our business. (Again things didn't work out as planned and we really don't want to talk about it)

4. When will the revitalization be complete?

Who knows?...
Although we are continuously evaluating and refreshing our experiences(we don't have any solid plans right now), most work should be complete in early 2013(That's two years away something has to happen by then right?). To be respectful to our existing operating participants and guests,(Yes that's right now were placing the blame on our tenants and guests, they're always getting in the way of our business endeavors). we’re completing the project in phases.(we can't commit to the project as a whole at this time) Guests will start to see the first significant changes (Construction walls and demolition) to Downtown Disney in 2011.

5. How is Hyperion Wharf different than Pleasure Island?

(Umm hello it's a different name, were even going to change the sign, oh and if you haven't noticed the clubs are closed)
Hyperion Wharf will appeal to a wider range of guests (again night clubs are gone) and offer a vibrant atmosphere throughout the day, as well as at night (in case you didn't see the drawing we're adding lots of lights).
It will better integrate with the rest of Downtown Disney and accommodate all demographics (families and non families)(If your familiar with the rest of DTD it's just more of the same).
It’s also a little more sophisticated in its offerings with a broader range of experiences (We're really hoping for some participants to lease space because we have no intention of filling it ourselves).

6. Will the businesses at "Hyperion Wharf" be Disney-owned-and-operated or will you be bringing in operating participants?

Hyperion Wharf will offer an integrated experience featuring a combination of Disney-owned and operated(small gift shops) and one-of-a-kind experiences brought to us by other leading, creative brands. We’re taking a holistic approach to Downtown Disney and we have numerous projects in various stages of development and look forward to sharing additional information in the future(if you have a business restaurant store etc. please contact us we're open to pretty much anything).

dreamfinder

Based off the insiders comments, perhaps we are looking at a mini night time spectacular? Maybe something like a small parade or show that happens every few hours? That could definitely take use of this flexible screen mentioned, as well as still be tied into a waterfront theme. Integrate a small barge that does water/lights on the water, that docks in front of the little ampitheatre. Could easily continue the throw back to the Hyperion concept. More than enough shorts to combine into this concept.

Krack

5. How is Hyperion Wharf different than Pleasure Island?

(Umm hello it's a different name, were even going to change the sign, oh and if you haven't noticed the clubs are closed)

Great, I just spit coffee all over my keyboard.

(if you have a business restaurant store etc. please contact us we're open to pretty much anything).

I might call them up and tell them I'd like to lease space for a hot dog cart with a flashlight on top to see if they'll go for it.

Alektronic

Here is some info from the Orlando Sentinel :

Disney to convert Pleasure Island into wharf-themed district

By Dewayne Bevil, Orlando Sentinel
6:59 PM EST, November 18, 2010

There will be new life at Pleasure Island — but with a new name, look and purpose, Walt Disney World announced Thursday. Construction will begin this month on the Downtown Disney entertainment area, which will be renamed Hyperion Wharf.
Several Pleasure Island buildings have sat idle since Disney closed its nightclubs in favor of more dining and shopping opportunities in 2008. Four of those clubs will be demolished to make room for new eateries along the waterfront area.

First to go will be the former Motion and Rock 'n' Roll Beach Club, said Keith Bradford, vice president of Downtown Disney. The styles and operators of the restaurants were not disclosed.

"We're in great negotiations on all the restaurants," he said.
An amphitheater-style park on the lakeside will be the first area ready for guests, Bradford said. He expects the park, next to the Paradiso 37 restaurant, will be ready by next summer and the entire project completed by early 2013.
Hyperion Wharf will have the look of a turn-of-the-century seaport, creative director Alex Wright said. "The architecture is reflective of the era in the early part of the 20th century, where Walt [Disney] was inspired and where he sort of hatched his visions and his dreams," Wright said.

Scott Smith, a professor in the University of Central Florida's Rosen College of Hospitality Management, said he was perplexed by the announcement.
"You have such a prime piece of real estate there, and Disney is a company that specializes in doing things unique and really wowing people," Smith said. "Then when I read what the plans are for Pleasure Island, I was underwhelmed."

Smith was hoping for an area that showed off new-generation technology, perhaps a "DisneyQuest on steroids," he said.
"Pleasure Island was such a unique experience, and Disney did it very well," he said.
Pleasure Island opened in 1989 with several adult-oriented nightspots available for a single cover charge. For years it was promoted as a place where it was New Year's Eve every night. Eventually, the cover charge was dropped, and guests could roam freely through Pleasure Island, which connects Marketplace and West End, the other two Downtown Disney districts.
Pleasure Island wasn't a big draw during daytime hours, and Disney wants that to change in the Hyperion Wharf era.
"I love what [restaurants] Ragland Road and Paradiso 37 have done," Bradford said. "They're very accommodating to all our guests. At 4 or 5 o'clock, you'll see a lot of families in there. As the night progresses, it becomes much more adult-oriented with the live music and the bands."

The final phase will be the removal of Adventurers Club and BET Soundstage Club, which eventually will be replaced by restaurants. The new restaurants will add 1,500 seats to the area.

The Hyperion name has Disney roots. It was the name of the street where Walt Disney built his first major animation studio, and it has been used with the company's movie and publishing concerns. Hyperion is also the name of the Greek god of light.
"This place that we're building here at Hyperion Wharf is, in a lot of ways, defined by its fascination with electric light and with the ability to make light and all the things you can do with it," Wright said. "We'll be working to use all the modern lighting technologies that are available to us to play with light in a different way."
Hyperion Wharf will continue the string of changes made at Downtown Disney over the past two years, Bradford said. Additions have included the Characters in Flight balloon ride, shops such as D-Street, Tren-D and LittleMissMatched and the quick-service restaurant Pollo Campero, which opened this week on the Marketplace side.
"We haven't been standing still, for sure," Bradford said.

s8film40

I might call them up and tell them I'd like to lease space for a hot dog cart with a flashlight on top to see if they'll go for it.
I'm sure they would, you probably wouldn't be able to make any money with what they would charge you though.

Krack

Scott Smith, a professor in the University of Central Florida's Rosen College of Hospitality Management, said he was perplexed by the announcement.
"You have such a prime piece of real estate there, and Disney is a company that specializes in doing things unique and really wowing people," Smith said. "Then when I read what the plans are for Pleasure Island, I was underwhelmed."

Uh oh. Professor Scott Smith is a hater.

imagineer boy

1. The name sucks. Pleasure Island had a nice ring to it. Hyperion Warf? Hey kids, let's have dinner at Hyperion Warf! It just sounds stupid.

You know, I actually kind of agree. Overall I think the name is okay but IMO its not an appealing name when it comes to a name for a shopping and dining district.

And I really don't like when Disney gets self-indulgent with its names like this.

"Hey, this is a reference to the street of Walt's first studio!"
"Hey, this is a reference to the year Walt started the studio!"
"Hey, this is a reference to the plumbing company that serviced Walt's studio toilets!"
Aren't we clever and nostalgic?

Who cares?:shrug:

jmmc

I understand people lamenting the loss of Adventurer's Club, and all the music / dance clubs, but it all likely comes down to the fact that Pleasure Island, as it was, was not making enough money for Disney. While I'm not saying that the company is infallible and always knows what they're doing, they obviously concluded that this sort of venue worked better for what they want.

I find the comments of this hospitality management professor to be sort of funny. Maybe P.I. was an interesting, unique and different place, but you'd think someone in this guy's position would understand that its being done for business' sake. It shouldn't be all about the money, of course, but if P.I. was working in its earlier form, it likely would still be operating like it was.

Personally, I like the idea of having adult-only areas of WDW, but opening it up to a wider "audience" is probably their idea here.

devoy1701

I've got to say, I'm proud of the hardcore Disneyphiles ... they have basically taken over the blog's comment section with plugs for the Adventurers Club. It's almost every comment now.

EDIT: From the blog comments ...

EDIT #2: Holy cow, we get accused of being negative on this board ... you should see the comments on that official Disney blog! I just counted them myself - out of 251 posts, 217 were either flat out negative, or requesting the Adventurer's Club.

Yet they always censor my posts! :brick:

Ok, I'm a little late to the party with this announcement because I have been away from home for the past few days. To be completely honest, I don't like it.

Worf?

9668.gif

Thrill Seeker

You know, I actually kind of agree. Overall I think the name is okay but IMO its not an appealing name when it comes to a name for a shopping and dining district.

And I really don't like when Disney gets self-indulgent with its names like this.

"Hey, this is a reference to the street of Walt's first studio!"
"Hey, this is a reference to the year Walt started the studio!"
"Hey, this is a reference to the plumbing company that serviced Walt's studio toilets!"
Aren't we clever and nostalgic?

Who cares?:shrug:

Honestly, why not call it Downtown Disney Waterfront District or just DTD Waterfront? That sound better than Hyperion Warf.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom