Waterfront District "Hyperion Wharf" Set to be added to Pleasure Island

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Honestly, why not call it Downtown Disney Waterfront District or just DTD Waterfront? That sound better than Hyperion Warf.

I dont know, I like that they are paying homage to their past, and coming up with an intersting name/concept. If the concept art is an indication, and they use some of the LED / lighting to show / showcase some of their early works, like the Silly Symphonies that were pointed out in the concept art, it's a nice nod. DTD Waterfront would probably confuse more people. All of DTD has waterfront.

"Hey Billy-bob, where are you guys at?"
"Meet us at the Waterfront"
"We are there, there is water right in front of us, and a Rainforest Cafe next to us"

They could just call it "DTD Shops and Restaurants" if they wanted to get to the point. I like that they picked an intersting name. Personal opinion though.

devoy1701

I dont know, I like that they are paying homage to their past, and coming up with an intersting name/concept. If the concept art is an indication, and they use some of the LED / lighting to show / showcase some of their early works, like the Silly Symphonies that were pointed out in the concept art, it's a nice nod. DTD Waterfront would probably confuse more people. All of DTD has waterfront.

"Hey Billy-bob, where are you guys at?"
"Meet us at the Waterfront"
"We are there, there is water right in front of us, and a Rainforest Cafe next to us"

They could just call it "DTD Shops and Restaurants" if they wanted to get to the point. I like that they picked an intersting name. Personal opinion though.

Hyperion Wharf just doesn't flow off the tongue. It's a mouthful! I think they should follow along with the current naming they use: Downtown Disney: Marketplace, Downtown Disney: West Side, Downtown Disney: Waterfront (or River's Edge, or Village Place, or something like that).

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I know I will be pounced upon but here goes anyway - what was the Adventurers Club?
kitten_chair_pounce.jpg

This link will give you the idea. For more in depth info search youtube and you will find a bevy of videos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventurers_Club

MarkTwain

I can't help wonder if all the Walt references are an attempt to win the fans back over after two years of forcing us to wait for some sort of progress. Basically exploiting fans' admiration of all things Walt Disney.

If that's the case, it's kind of manipulative, really. :shrug: It's not really references to Walt Disney himself that we admire most IMO... it's more about his vision, his unique and artistic output, and dedication to quality that he demonstrated in his lifetime. Disney has failed to show these qualities in the DtD renovation so far, and all the Walt references in the book won't save it if those basic qualities - the common traits inherent in all things Disney - aren't there.

I'll continue to be cautiously optimistic though, and will wait to see what comes of this.

Mammymouse

WOW!! Thanks for the link to the Adventurers Club info Master Yoda. All I can say is WOW, I never new any of this and it sounded amazing. Why in the World would Disney close such a unique and obviously popular thing?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
WOW!! Thanks for the link to the Adventurers Club info Master Yoda. All I can say is WOW, I never new any of this and it sounded amazing. Why in the World would Disney close such a unique and obviously popular thing?
Quite a few of us have been asking that question for more than 2 years now. If the club as unprofitable, which is plausible, I could sort of understand its closure but it was such a unique place I would have liked to see an attempt to save it if profitability was the biggest issue.

lebeau

It's a Star Trek thing.

A Hyper-Ion Worf. Don't mess with Hyper-Ion Worf.

Worf.jpg

Never was a big Trek fan, but my friends make a running joke that Worf never won a single fight. They make a big deal out of Worf being a warrior, but the writers always used him to illustrate how tough the bad guy was. So the bad guy always beat down on Worf.

I'm not sure how well that theory holds up, but I have seen Worf take quite a few beatings in the STNG episodes I've seen.

Yeah, when I hear Wharf I think Worf. Maybe they'll change the name before they open this thing.

Krack

I can't help wonder if all the Walt references are an attempt to win the fans back over after two years of forcing us to wait for some sort of progress. Basically exploiting fans' admiration of all things Walt Disney.

That's exactly what it is, or else they never would have mentioned the connection in the announcement.

As for the name? If there's a problem, it's in the use of the word "Hyperion" - it's not a word typically used in everyday conversation. Look at the most famous monikers in WDW ...

Main Street
Adventureland
Frontierland
Fantasyland
Tomorrowland
Toontown
Future World
World Showcase
Spaceship Earth
The Universe of Energy
The Wonders of Life
Horizons
The World of Motion
Journey Into Imagination
The Land
The Living Seas
Space Mountain
Haunted Mansion
Splash Mountain
Pirates of the Caribbean

They all roll off the tongue and are fairly simple. The most unusual word in the group is "Caribbean" and I would argue that's infinitely more well known a word than "Hyperion" - at the very least, most people know it's a sea.

Now, that said, EPCOT Center has become widely recognized and that was nothing more than a creative acronym when it was introduced to the public. So I wouldn't say the word "Hyperion" is a deal breaker; I would just say that they probably overthought it and could have went with something better. As someone said earlier - just compare and contrast "Hyperion Wharf" with "Pleasure Island" as far as names go. One is simple, the other a little convoluted.

Hyperion Wharf could have been Electric Harbor or Sparkling Marina and it might have been a little more appealing.

vonpluto

If you're interested in Pleasure Island/Adventures Club origins, background and backstory, surf over to Wade Sampson's page at MousePlanet:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/search.php?type=w&aid=ws

A lot of articles and info about PI.:wave:

raven

Ok, I'm a little late to the party with this announcement because I have been away from home for the past few days. To be completely honest, I don't like it.

1. The name sucks. Pleasure Island had a nice ring to it. Hyperion Warf? Hey kids, let's have dinner at Hyperion Warf! It just sounds stupid.
Maybe that was the reason for the name, to attract more adults.

2. There's nothing different about it. Now granted, we don't know what exactly is coming in terms of shops and restaurants, but from the sound of things, it's nothing different from what is already at DTD.
No, nothing at all. It's going to be exactly the same. :rolleyes:

3. One of the things Universal did very well with Citywalk is that there is lots of entertainment options. Yes, it is a lot smaller than DTD, but in addition to shopping and dining, Citywalk has AMC, Blue Man Group, a karaoke bar featuring a live band and back up singers, several clubs and Hard Rock Live. Disney has House of Blues for concerts, DisneyQuest which is really washed up, AMC and Cirque. I would have liked to have seen more entertainment options coming rather than more shopping and dining.
It isn't about what Citywalk has. If they did that then they would be no different. And the other things you mentioned aren't on the island that is being talked about.

That's my rant. Discuss away.

Hyperion Wharf just doesn't flow off the tongue. It's a mouthful! I think they should follow along with the current naming they use: Downtown Disney: Marketplace, Downtown Disney: West Side, Downtown Disney: Waterfront (or River's Edge, or Village Place, or something like that).

The name conveys sophistication, which is the angle they are going for.

Disney knows that it cannot please everyone and they know that. Every item in the parks, resorts, movies and retail are not going to be liked by some people. So to bash it isn't going to do any good or change anything. But yet again, people here still continue to try and kill it before it has a chance to open.

devoy1701

Disney knows that it cannot please everyone and they know that. Every item in the parks, resorts, movies and retail are not going to be liked by some people. So to bash it isn't going to do any good or change anything. But yet again, people here still continue to try and kill it before it has a chance to open.

colons in a name conveys sophistication too.

!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

Prejudgment has indeed been raised to the level of an Olympic sport by some.....

raven

Prejudgment has indeed been raised to the level of an Olympic sport by some.....

And it continues to go above and beyond that. Once something opens they still continue to bash it until they actually see it for themselves. If they can't find something to complain about they move onto another item or area to nitpick about. Read a few posts in this thread and see what I mean:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=659408

It just gets old to hear constant negativity on a place designed to make people happy. Guess there will always be a killjoy around though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom