Waterfront District "Hyperion Wharf" Set to be added to Pleasure Island

Krack

I'm fairly sure it still sails the old route that it used to, so on some (all?) evenings around Grand Floridian, Poly, Contemp, and Ft. Wilderness (most likely WL too)

ahh yes, Allears has info

http://allears.net/tp/ewp.htm

I saw it a few years ago and it made me smile. Used to be a highlight of any trip to Ft. Wilderness to go to the beach and catch this.

I can't believe it's still there! How did I not know about this?!?

This image really made me smile; it's just how I remember it ...

ewp6.jpg

If Disney isn't planning any kind of water show - they'd be foolish not to move these over there as a nighttime draw.

jakeman

Interesting.

The wife and I always look forward to new places to eat.

As for third parties...meh. I think people forget that almost all of CityWalk is third party. It's not really the mecca of originality that folks make it out to be.

However, is disheartening to already see the fan community inserting their idea of what will make it successful and expecting something that hasn't been announced.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I can't believe it's still there! How did I not know about this?!?

This image really made me smile; it's just how I remember it ...

ewp6.jpg

If Disney isn't planning any kind of water show - they'd be foolish not to move these over there as a nighttime draw.
Yep it is still there and as far as I can tell it has not changed in years. It still has that somewhat cheesy but delightfully nostalgic MIDI music. We try to catch it a couple of times per year from the beach at the Poly or WL.

PhilharMagician

What they could have done was build an extra shopping area behind PI that would connect the Disney Villiage with the West Side. Families would be able to pass from one side to the other without witnessing the more PG-13 activities of PI.
Possibly, and there had to be many other option also. It was just poor planning during it's expansion.

While I certainly like everything I've seen so far. I still feel there is a glaring gap in the DtD area with no entertainment devoted exclusively to adults. Unless they provide a themed late night club like atmosphere I feel this area will always feel incomplete.
There could still be some adult entertainment planned that has not been released. This info is far from detailed and we know that this can change at any moment during it's constuction. Heck, it may not even happen. Tomorrow they may decide it needs to be Pricess Island (PI) the home of the princess meet and greet since they go the boot from the FLE.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Yep it is still there and as far as I can tell it has not changed in years. It still has that somewhat cheesy but delightfully nostalgic MIDI music. We try to catch it a couple of times per year from the beach at the Poly or WL.

It's one of those things that is pretty much driven by 100% pure nostalgia. It's not ground breaking in any sense, but even seeing pictures of that sea-dragon floods the memories of Ft. Wilderness at dark, sand between the toes, and those floats going by, perhaps a toasted marshmallow...

Personally, I hope they keep it where it is instead of moving it to DTD. Like your favorite Indie rock band, it's one of those hidden treasures you kind of hope never makes it big, because it's almost like your own secret...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It's one of those things that is pretty much driven by 100% pure nostalgia. It's not ground breaking in any sense, but even seeing pictures of that sea-dragon floods the memories of Ft. Wilderness at dark, sand between the toes, and those floats going by, perhaps a toasted marshmallow...

Personally, I hope they keep it where it is instead of moving it to DTD. Like your favorite Indie rock band, it's one of those hidden treasures you kind of hope never makes it big, because it's almost like your own secret...
I would agree. The boat parade as it sits is to old and outdated to simply be moved to DTD and billed a "new" show. It needs to stay where it is from now until the end of time. I would much rather see WDI take the premise of the boat parade and build a completely new one for DTD.

PKD

I believe it is a giant LED screen from the looks of it.

Well, not 100% an LED screen, not really a screen at all, but LED's will be used for a part of it.

Yep. A portion of it has been in testing for a few months now.

They have done some small scale mock up's, the test you might be referring too is going to start in the next month or so.

The spotlights on the buildings are ironically similar to the ones that were at PI (ya'know, the ones they sold for absolutely no reason when they closed PI. Actually, I'm sure the new ones will be better and more energy efficient, but for some reason I still think it's hysterical that they sold the old ones and are now going to go out and buy new ones for probably 10x the price).

The "search" lights you are referring to are the smoke stacks for the factory facade that Mannequins will be turned into. As of now, they won't search.

First off, they aren't spending $3.6 mil on christmas lights. Secondly, if you follow my posts on these types of things you will discover how to read into them a little more. I'm careful with the words I use for a reason.

kinda like how so many missed my post about the announcement forthcoming which would shed some light on the project.

I think you and I have provided a lot of carefully chosen post regarding the waterfront.

Does anyone know what Zach Devine is, as far as I can tell it's the only thing new in this. If it's a made up name as well then this is all pretty much meaningless.

This space is planning on being used fully to the max, it will be a pretty sweet deal.

jt04

You've really done an about face on this. :eek:

You have not read my posts closely enough. Clubs that appeal to a relatively narrow demographic age group while discouraging visits by others were the problem not alcohol necessarily. I've never advocated for a Magic Kingdom type experience but rather exactly what they are creating with this reimagining.

Oh yeah...a Martini bar, with a small Jazz combo...I like it!

Yes, where the band functions as mood setting background music. Valet parking, private booths, low lighting, vistas of Saratoga Springs across the lake through large windows but completely climate controlled to escape the Florida heat and humidity, no intrusion of all the kinetics of DtD. Yep, it could be the place to be seen in Orlando. It wouldn't even need to be a large club. It could exist on the 2nd floor of another structure. But this is all just Armchair Imagineering. They may have plans for such a venue somewhere else. Imagine how amazing DtD will look from Saratoga Springs when all these changes are finished. That should be amazing also. Win-win!

First off, they aren't spending $3.6 mil on christmas lights. Secondly, if you follow my posts on these types of things you will discover how to read into them a little more. I'm careful with the words I use for a reason.

And your words are very appreciated.

raven

Well, not 100% an LED screen, not really a screen at all, but LED's will be used for a part of it.

They have done some small scale mock up's, the test you might be referring too is going to start in the next month or so.

I think you and I have provided a lot of carefully chosen post regarding the waterfront.

The LED's are encased in a plastic bubble and are chain-linked together. They are about as flexible as netting and can be used for many applications. I was impressed at the brightness when I saw them being played with (I'll call it that :animwink:) as well as some of the other lights planned for the new area.

Always careful not to give away too much, just some hints here and there to keep everyones taste buds in check. It's much easier to talk about details on things once that projects are officially announced. Still so many others though that I'll have to keep tight about for a while longer.

tomman710

I love this ... my questions are these ...

Is there an official start date?

Is there a General Contractor attached to the project?

Has the project been bid yet?

Once these things happen I will get really pumped about this going down.

raven

I love this ... my questions are these ...

Is there an official start date?

Is there a General Contractor attached to the project?

Has the project been bid yet?

Once these things happen I will get really pumped about this going down.

A few of those answers can be found below in the announcement on the Hub:

We are building on the significant progress that has already been made on our vision for Downtown Disney. We look forward to delighting guests with the next phase of our work, which includes:
  • A re-imagined Pleasure Island - complete with a new name “Hyperion Wharf,” numerous new dining experiences and enhanced storytelling and place-making.
    • Overlooking Village Lake, “Hyperion Wharf” will immerse guests in a colorful restaurant district which comes to life with a nostalgic yet modern take on an early 20th century port city and amusement pier.
    • Several unique and diverse dining experiences throughout “Hyperion Wharf” will complement the entertainment offerings on the West Side and the shopping experiences at The Marketplace. More than 1,500 new restaurant seats will expand guests’ dining options by more than 25 percent.
    • The new design makes the waterfront the focal point and incorporates dynamic creative lighting, a relaxing lakeside park and enhanced pedestrian walkways.
    • The new wharf district takes its name from Hyperion, the Greek god of light, as well as the street on which Walt Disney built his first animation studio.
    • “Hyperion Wharf” will offer guests of all ages a vibrant atmosphere and new experiences that can be enjoyed by day or by night. Whether looking for a great place to dine with the whole family or a place for adults to relax and enjoy live music, Hyperion Wharf will provide the perfect setting for guests to make new memories.
Numerous other enhancements throughout Downtown Disney:
  • Lego Imagination Center will undergo extensive renovations beginning January 2011 to increase the overall footprint by nearly 3,500 square-feet and add new Lego exterior models featuring Classic Disney Movie scenes.
  • AMC will take the movie-going experience at Downtown Disney to the next level with new digital technology in all 24 theaters, its paradigm-shifting Concession Stand of the Future and Florida’s first Fork & Screen Theater. In the next 30 days, guests stopping at the Concession Stand of Future will be able to purchase unique, upscale snacks and drinks from interactive, self-service food stations similar to a food court. The Fork & Screen Theater will offer restaurant-style dining with seat-side service beginning in spring 2011.
  • New or renovated retail shops and merchandise vignettes will begin to emerge throughout the three districts in the spring of 2011.
  • Additional atmosphere entertainment, throughout the West Side, Hyperion Wharf and the Marketplace will add energy throughout Downtown Disney.

Reactive FAQs:

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]1. Why are you announcing this now (when you have so few details)?
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]To make way for "Hyperion Wharf," guests will begin to see construction and several changes throughout Downtown Disney very soon. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]2. Why did it take so long for you to share your plans for Pleasure Island?

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]As you may recall, our announcement was about making numerous enhancements to Downtown Disney and Pleasure Island was just one element of that. We’ve made significant progress over the past couple of years on our vision for Downtown Disney and we’ve shared it along the way, including: [/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
  1. New entertainment, such as the Characters in Flight tethered balloon ride, the ETX theater at AMC Pleasure Island and an enhanced outdoor performance area;
  2. Unique shopping experiences like D-Street, LittleMissMatched, RIDEMAKERZ, Trend-D and Disney’s Design-A-Tee; and
  3. Immersive dining, like T-Rex and Paradiso 37 and the recently opened Pollo Campero and Fresh Appeal, a quick-service restaurant combining Latin-style chicken and side dishes, as well as fresh, healthy creations such as salads, wraps and gluten-free desserts.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
3. If it was going to take two years to begin work on Pleasure Island why did you close the clubs so far in advance?​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]It was the right decision for our business. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]4. When will the revitalization be complete?

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Although we are continuously evaluating and refreshing our experiences, most work should be complete in early 2013. To be respectful to our existing operating participants and guests, we’re completing the project in phases. Guests will start to see the first significant changes to Downtown Disney in 2011. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]

[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
5. How is Hyperion Wharf different than Pleasure Island?​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Hyperion Wharf will appeal to a wider range of guests and offer a vibrant atmosphere throughout the day, as well as at night. [/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
  1. It will better integrate with the rest of Downtown Disney and accommodate all demographics (families and non families).
  2. It’s also a little more sophisticated in its offerings with a broader range of experiences.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]6. Will the businesses at "Hyperion Wharf" be Disney-owned-and-operated or will you be bringing in operating participants? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Hyperion Wharf will offer an integrated experience featuring a combination of Disney-owned and operated and one-of-a-kind experiences brought to us by other leading, creative brands. We’re taking a holistic approach to Downtown Disney and we have numerous projects in various stages of development and look forward to sharing additional information in the future. [/FONT]
[/FONT]

OliveMcFly

Disney redid the bridges between T-Rex and Fultons and the columns blend in quite nicely with the style of the Adventurers Club building. I'm thinking they may keep the building and alter it to hold a restaurant or shop. So even though the club will never come back we all may be able to step inside the building again. Just wishful thinking maybe. What are your thoughts?

GymLeaderPhil

The LED's are encased in a plastic bubble and are chain-linked together. They are about as flexible as netting and can be used for many applications. I was impressed at the brightness when I saw them being played with (I'll call it that :animwink:) as well as some of the other lights planned for the new area.
Are these similar to the snowflake screens that are installed on the Streets of America facade windows nearest to the Writer's Shop/Sci-Fi this year?

raven

Are these similar to the snowflake screens that are installed on the Streets of America facade windows nearest to the Writer's Shop/Sci-Fi this year?

Haven't seen Osborne lights yet this year but plan on going Monday.

Just in case anyone asks, the information I just quoted above was actually the press release to the media in full.

PKD

Those are more of an LED "screen".

The Wharf version is going to be a combination of LED's wooven into a plastic mesh (like Raven described) with some other elements added in to make this a hybrid display to be used with a specific look during the day and a different look for night.

Lee

Adventurer
So even though the club will never come back we all may be able to step inside the building again.
No thanks.
If it ain't the Club, it's just a building. One with enough memories to make going in there painful.
:mad:

3. If it was going to take two years to begin work on Pleasure Island why did you close the clubs so far in advance?
It was the right decision for our business.
Translated:
We are not in the slightest bit concerned with our guest's happiness or enjoyment with the area. We felt they would be better off with closed clubs and a magical, ghost town-like atmosphere than an area full of life, joy and laughter. And also we saved approximately $3.72 by having it all sit closed for two years.

goonie007

The "search" lights you are referring to are the smoke stacks for the factory facade that Mannequins will be turned into. As of now, they won't search.

kinda like how so many missed my post about the announcement forthcoming which would shed some light on the project.

This space is planning on being used fully to the max, it will be a pretty sweet deal.

http://www.maxsworld.com/home.html :shrug:

Krack

I've got to say, I'm proud of the hardcore Disneyphiles ... they have basically taken over the blog's comment section with plugs for the Adventurers Club. It's almost every comment now.

EDIT: From the blog comments ...

Just did a quick count of the 194 posts on this. 143 posts calling for the return of the Adventurers Club (barring a miscount on my part. I think that says something. I hope you’re listening, Disney.

EDIT #2: Holy cow, we get accused of being negative on this board ... you should see the comments on that official Disney blog! I just counted them myself - out of 251 posts, 217 were either flat out negative, or requesting the Adventurer's Club.

DocMcHulk

Always careful not to give away too much, just some hints here and there to keep everyones taste buds in check. It's much easier to talk about details on things once that projects are officially announced. Still so many others though that I'll have to keep tight about for a while longer.

taste buds... scrumptious.... you're hint at something big in regards to food, arent you?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom