Waterfront District "Hyperion Wharf" Set to be added to Pleasure Island

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
And it continues to go above and beyond that. Once something opens they still continue to bash it until they actually see it for themselves. If they can't find something to complain about they move onto another item or area to nitpick about. Read a few posts in this thread and see what I mean:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=659408

It just gets old to hear constant negativity on a place designed to make people happy. Guess there will always be a killjoy around though.

It's just the "kewl" thing to do, I suppose, to use the terminology of an early practioner of incessant complaining....

And I saw that thread too. I would say unbelievable, but....

thelookingglass

I'm not entirely thrilled with the name, but on the other hand, I'm glad they didn't just go with something more generic like Downtown Disney: Waterfront. With this name, its clear that they're going to attempt to give it its own distinct feel from Marketplace and West Side, despite having basically the same type of offerings.

Mammymouse

I know it sounds discouraging to hear negative posters, :cry: but for every one bad one there are probably 50 readers that are excited to hear the news, but for whatever reason -no time, want anonnimity, not real passionate or expressive, can't spell (see anonnimity) - just doesn't write anything. I'm not always the "glass half full girl" but I try.:wave:

Ignohippo

I understand people lamenting the loss of Adventurer's Club, and all the music / dance clubs, but it all likely comes down to the fact that Pleasure Island, as it was, was not making enough money for Disney. While I'm not saying that the company is infallible and always knows what they're doing, they obviously concluded that this sort of venue worked better for what they want.

I find the comments of this hospitality management professor to be sort of funny. Maybe P.I. was an interesting, unique and different place, but you'd think someone in this guy's position would understand that its being done for business' sake. It shouldn't be all about the money, of course, but if P.I. was working in its earlier form, it likely would still be operating like it was.

Personally, I like the idea of having adult-only areas of WDW, but opening it up to a wider "audience" is probably their idea here.

Agree with your comments 100%. The only thing I can figure is Pleasure Island must've been completely hemmorhaging money. Either that or Disney was concerned about the safety of guests with the type of crowd PI was bringing and its proximity to the shopping and family areas. I still think an adults-only area has a place at Disney World but this certainly wasn't it.

It's a shame though that all they'd really need to do would be to add the AC and a dance club back and they'd have almost everyone in line with these new plans. There must be pretty substantial business reasons for them to not do so. Remember, their whole existence is to make money. They wouldn't get rid of something just to disappoint the fan base.

ttalovebug

It's pretty art, but what goes in the buildings will determine whether this is exciting or not. I wouldn't exactly call it a bold new vision yet. If it's simply more restaurants and shops, I don't see what's so unique and remarkable about it.

raven

I know it sounds discouraging to hear negative posters, :cry: but for every one bad one there are probably 50 readers that are excited to hear the news, but for whatever reason -no time, want anonnimity, not real passionate or expressive, can't spell (see anonnimity) - just doesn't write anything. I'm not always the "glass half full girl" but I try.:wave:

Here is my philosophy on the glass: I look at the glass in it's original form. If it was empty, as the Pooh queue used to be, and it was plussed then it is going to fill up. If it was full, like the original JII and was dumbed down, then it's going to be more empty. But I'm not going to judge a new glass until I get a drink from it myself.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Here is my philosophy on the glass: I look at the glass in it's original form. If it was empty, as the Pooh queue used to be, and it was plussed then it is going to fill up. If it was full, like the original JII and was dumbed down, then it's going to be more empty. But I'm not going to judge a new glass until I get a drink from it myself.

This is an excellent articulation of exactly how I try to be as well. I feel like it is hard to compare or judge this new concept against PI since it very different. Sure, PI had some stores and food outlets, but that was never the main focus of the area. This new concept is very clearly about the retail and food experience. I keep having to force myself to not try to evaluate the situation as upgrade vs. downgrade. It's neither. It's something new. I think it is just best to take it for what it is, wait until its done, and then evaluate it. The old PI closing wounds are deep but I don't think it is fair for me to expect this to make everything better again. Nothing short of a miracle will do that. Instead I will just watch this area's transformation and hope that it is successful and will thrive for years to come.

Lee

Adventurer
Agree with your comments 100%. The only thing I can figure is Pleasure Island must've been completely hemmorhaging money.
Nope. At least not for it's entire existence. When they opened the gates and started changing the admission policy/prices, etc, the island became less profitable. Over it's lifespan, it did quite well, some clubs more than others.

Either that or Disney was concerned about the safety of guests with the type of crowd PI was bringing and its proximity to the shopping and family areas.
Nope again.
The only location issue they had was that it was seen as a blockage between Marketplace and Westside for families with little kids. That demo doesn't want to walk past bars and clubs, and would avoid making the trek through PI. A nice walkway around the area would have solved that problem nicely.

It's a shame though that all they'd really need to do would be to add the AC and a dance club back and they'd have almost everyone in line with these new plans. There must be pretty substantial business reasons for them to not do so.
The business reason you speak of is their desire to sit back and collect rent from third-party restaurant/shop operators without having to run any themselves. Disney is getting into the landlord business.

Remember, their whole existence is to make money. They wouldn't get rid of something just to disappoint the fan base.
That's the sad thing. Money has become more important than show and guest satisfaction to management, not only with PI but elsewhere. (Fantasmic, closed food locations, etc.)

trr1

Nope. At least not for it's entire existence. When they opened the gates and started changing the admission policy/prices, etc, the island became less profitable. Over it's lifespan, it did quite well, some clubs more than others.

Nope again.
The only location issue they had was that it was seen as a blockage between Marketplace and Westside for families with little kids. That demo doesn't want to walk past bars and clubs, and would avoid making the trek through PI. A nice walkway around the area would have solved that problem nicely.
didnt they have one before planet hollywood was built back when it was a gated island back in 1990, 1991?

Lee

Adventurer
didnt they have one before planet hollywood was built back when it was a gated island?

The only way around the island that I know of was a dimly-lit sidewalk next to the street between PH and where McD's was. Not an easy walk.

djkidkaz

That's the sad thing. Money has become more important than show and guest satisfaction to management, not only with PI but elsewhere. (Fantasmic, closed food locations, etc.)

I could say the exact opposite when I see things like Magic Kingdom being repainted almost in its entirety, the Fantasyland Expansion and Winnie the Pooh queue which they didn't have to update. Whats the purpose of repainting all the buildings if not for guest satisfaction? Same thing for the Haunted Mansion queue thats being redone. Thats not even in FL, so they didn't have to touch that at all. The reason food carts aren't open as often around the parks is due to less traffic coming to WDW. And it has nothing to do with show standards, it has to do with a large majority of America being out of work.

Lee

Adventurer
I could say the exact opposite when I see things like Magic Kingdom being repainted almost in its entirety, the Fantasyland Expansion and Winnie the Pooh queue which they didn't have to update. Whats the purpose of repainting all the buildings if not for guest satisfaction? Same thing for the Haunted Mansion queue thats being redone. Thats not even in FL, so they didn't have to touch that at all. The reason food carts aren't open as often around the parks is due to less traffic coming to WDW. And it has nothing to do with show standards, it has to do with a large majority of America being out of work.
To your points:
-MK being repainted - Basic manitainence. Should be expected, not praised.
-FL expansion - Had to happen. MK was reaching a critical point with it's capacity. Pooh is part of that.
-Mansion queue - Nice to see it plussed, but likely is just part of the massive RFID project that is coming down the pike.
-Food locations - Even when the park is packed, how often do you see Tomorrowland Terrace open? Adventureland Veranda? Pirate and Parrot?

I stand by my statement. They could easily be running Fantasmic every night, displaying the Lights of Winter and other guest friendly things if they chose to. They opt to go the money-saving route.

71jason

I stand by my statement. They could easily be running Fantasmic every night, displaying the Lights of Winter and other guest friendly things if they chose to. They opt to go the money-saving route.

Or fixing the Yeti. Or fixing the falling rock scene in BTMRR. Or inserting anything to the JIYI post-show area. But I digress.

As someone who actually frequents DTD on a regular basis, who does TDO expect to fill these 1,500 new dining seats? Outside maybe 8 weeks of the year, the existing eateries just aren't that busy--even with the free dining that was supposedly to be phased out this year. You can walk up and get a table at any time outside Christmas week, Spring Break and the heaviest parts of the Summer. Unless they start closing all the parks at 5 in the off-season, I don't see the rationale behind such a huge increase.

rsoxguy

To your points:
-MK being repainted - Basic manitainence. Should be expected, not praised.
-FL expansion - Had to happen. MK was reaching a critical point with it's capacity. Pooh is part of that.
-Mansion queue - Nice to see it plussed, but likely is just part of the massive RFID project that is coming down the pike.
-Food locations - Even when the park is packed, how often do you see Tomorrowland Terrace open? Adventureland Veranda? Pirate and Parrot?

I must agree. I once questioned all of the "lower quality" talk on this Forum until a few years back. My father visited EPCOT for the first time since the late 80's, and he spent an hour telling me that the quality of the park had declined miserably. I just hadn't noticed because of the frequency of my trips. I think it's similar to the way that you don't notice your daily weight gain until someone who hasn't seen you in a while looks at you and says, "man, you look like a cow".

Krack

As someone who actually frequents DTD on a regular basis, who does TDO expect to fill these 1,500 new dining seats?

I'm not sure they really care. That's the whole point of farming this out to 3rd party vendors; there's no risk to Disney as long as the lease is signed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom