Waterfront District "Hyperion Wharf" Set to be added to Pleasure Island

Krack

I'm kind of split on how I feel about this concept. On one hand, right now Pleasure Island and the Westside are basically ghost towns (and have been for years). Almost any change or addition could only help.

However, the only reason I ever went to Pleasure Island was because it was a refuge for adults; a place to escape children while on WDW property. When I go to WDW, I've got tickets to the park for every day I'm there - I'd be more likely to rather just spend my formerly "Pleasure Island" night at one of the parks rather than take the trip to DTD for an evening, unless ...

And this brings me to my final point, if there is some kind of nightly cant-miss spectacle or show that is the area's draw. It seems to me this entire area will sink or swim based on how extraordinary this light show is. Based on the tiered steps in the concept art, it looks like there may be additional water elements to the show. The good thing about a light show is that (like fireworks) it can be easily changed and updated to encourage repeat local visits.

I suppose, if I was going to sum up my feelings, it would be that the concept art looks nice. But all concept art looks nice (and, let's not forget, the Pacific Wharf area of DCA is arguably the least successful area of Disney's least successful park). And many of the inherent elements (3rd party vendors, location, restaurants and shopping) have already been there and not been uber-successful. The success of this area will be tied almost directly to greatness of the new entertainment and since we don't know much about it yet, the merits of this plan can't really be judged yet.

Ignohippo

Yes, Mahogany Bay is a new restaurant concept coming to WDW's Downtown Disney, likely to be announced soon now that the big corporate announce is over.

Mahogany Bay (or whatever they call it) is going to be a themed restaurant created by Steven Schussler, the brainchild behind Rainforest Cafe and other hyper-themed restaurants. Mahogany Bay is themed to the expensive and elegant mahogany racing boats of the 1930's that Hollywood celebs and wealthy people owned as status symbols. (This would fit in well with the Hyperion-Disney connection it seems)

The new boating restaurant would be on the water side of Downtown Disney, rumored to be about where Rock N' Roll Beach Club used to be, to include dock facilities and areas for showing off some of these antique or reproduction boats.

Construction on Mahogany Bay could begin in 2011 if all goes well.

Raven, is this what you're hinting at, or is there something better in the pipeline? For the life of me, I can't get excited about this concept. It sounds incredibly boring (especiailly considering other possibilities like the Winter Wonderland or aquarium restaurant concepts or a revised AC).

Ignohippo

It seems to me this entire area will sink or swim based on how extraordinary this light show is. Based on the tiered steps in the concept art, it looks like there may be additional water elements to the show. The good thing about a light show is that (like fireworks) it can be easily changed and updated to encourage repeat

Unfortunately, unless I'm missing something (and that's always possible!), there isn't actually a "light show." There are tons of lights (like christmas lights) and spotlights, but I dont think there's actually a show. I hope I'm wrong. If I am, please correct me.

We also need to give up the notion of a water show. This is a natural waterway. The only way they could make a water show would be to dam the area and drain it. Besides, with Cirque, the restaurants and shops they want you in, there's no way they're going to spend millions to create a diversion for people to not spend their money. I think the idea is that the "show" will actually be IN the restaurants.

Krack

Unfortunately, unless I'm missing something (and that's always possible!), there isn't actually a "light show." There are tons of lights (like christmas lights) and spotlights, but I dont think there's actually a show. I hope I'm wrong. If I am, please correct me.

We also need to give up the notion of a water show. This is a natural waterway. The only way they could make a water show would be to dam the area and drain it. Besides, with Cirque, the restaurants and shops they want you in, there's no way they're going to spend millions to create a diversion for people to not spend their money. I think the idea is that the "show" will actually be IN the restaurants.

Well, if they are building this whole thing and there's no light show involved, WDI/TDO might as well pack up and go home, imo. I'm betting all those spotlights and lights are there to facilitate a show once or twice an evening. Regarding the water show, I wasn't suggesting something like WoC (that would require draining the water and that expense is never going to happen). But I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have floating barges with effects - like the old Electrical Water Pageant (wasn't that what it was called?). Why else would they build the tiers in this image?

hwd001223SMALL.jpg

Wilt Dasney

Some kind of water show would be great! I think we can all agree that a free version of WoC is out of the question, but as others have pointed out, there is some precedent for a smaller-scale production.

Ignohippo

Well, if they are building this whole thing and there's no light show involved, WDI/TDO might as well pack up and go home, imo. I'm betting all those spotlights and lights are there to facilitate a show once or twice an evening. Regarding the water show, I wasn't suggesting something like WoC (that would require draining the water and that expense is never going to happen). But I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have floating barges with effects - like the old Electrical Water Pageant (wasn't that what it was called?). Why else would they build the tiers in this image?

hwd001223SMALL.jpg

I'm with you all the way. Unfortunately, as seen in the concept art, it may be nothing more than a place to watch street performers.

The spotlights on the buildings are ironically similar to the ones that were at PI (ya'know, the ones they sold for absolutely no reason when they closed PI. Actually, I'm sure the new ones will be better and more energy efficient, but for some reason I still think it's hysterical that they sold the old ones and are now going to go out and buy new ones for probably 10x the price).

I love the barge idea but I really think they're going to go on the cheap for the entertainment here. That's not a knock against Dis in this case, I just don't think it fits with what they're trying to accomplish. I think they're going to let the businesses themselves be the attractions so that they don't have to spend any more money than they need to. They need people inside spending money - not outside watching a show that costs them money.

One interesting note though: there's no type of lighting rig on the stage. This either means they don't want anything in the sight line of the water (because there may be a show there), or it means there won't be any entertainment that would warrant a lighting rig or extra speakers. Considering how little seating there is there, I'm betting it's the latter.

lazyboy97o

There is an amphitheatre in the Marketplace and no water show there. The area could easily be used for small live acts.

Also, the Electric Water Pageant still operates. A great piece of Walt Disney World charm.

Rob562

In the main photo where you can see the view of Zach Divine, Paradiso and the fire breathers, etc. where does that bridge all the way to the right go to? There's not currently a bridge there, is there?

That's the ramp to the boat dock.

-Rob

71jason

FWIW, "Silk Road" is a very real restaurant in Las Vegas that uses the same logo is in the concept art (seemingly a replacement for Mannequins). Not sure if this is wishful thinking or a signed contract.

Either way, it begs the question--how many more somewhat upscale eateries can DTD handle? Already none are all that busy outside peak weeks.

_Scar

I like how Raven tells us there is more to come and only a few people actually respond to it =/

Thank you Raven for the info!

I was kinda hoping DtD would create an arena for its broadway musicals/disney on ice shows for DtD, but I guess this will do lol

niteobsrvr

I noticed that it seems to be chaining retro Mickey images! Perhaps it could be a movie screen made out of light bulbs showing classic Mickey clips and toons! It would be cool if the lamp posts did the same! I did notice the trees on those. I love the little tips to retro Mickey!

I believe it is a giant LED screen from the looks of it.

erstwo

Yep. A portion of it has been in testing for a few months now.

Not every spec has been announced on this project. There are still some scrumptions details that I'm sure will set sail sometime in the future. :animwink:

I would like to note, I have *ZERO* insider knowledge, I know nothing that hasn't been announced and around for at least 24 hours, but I wanted to throw this out there.

A pirate show?! Maybe? On a boat that sails in at a certain time every evening? :shrug: Maybe that's too Vegas....... but didn't they do a Pirate show at the POTC opening in Disneyland?

I think POTC the movie franchise is still ongoing right?

Anyway, just throwing it out there. In case I guess right.
In which case I'll act like I knew about it all along and say things like "interesting that they changed the shape of the ship." :lookaroun :D Just go along with it okay? :lol:

raven

First off, they aren't spending $3.6 mil on christmas lights.

Secondly, I'm careful with the words I choose for a reason. :animwink:

Krack

Also, the Electric Water Pageant still operates. A great piece of Walt Disney World charm.

Really? I thought it was long gone; I probably saw it last sometime in the mid-80s. Any idea when and where to see it? I'd like to check it out the next time I'm down there.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
FWIW, "Silk Road" is a very real restaurant in Las Vegas that uses the same logo is in the concept art (seemingly a replacement for Mannequins). Not sure if this is wishful thinking or a signed contract.

Either way, it begs the question--how many more somewhat upscale eateries can DTD handle? Already none are all that busy outside peak weeks.

There's also a Silk Road restaurant at Tokyo Disney...in the MiraCosta hotel I think?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Really? I thought it was long gone; I probably saw it last sometime in the mid-80s. Any idea when and where to see it? I'd like to check it out the next time I'm down there.

I'm fairly sure it still sails the old route that it used to, so on some (all?) evenings around Grand Floridian, Poly, Contemp, and Ft. Wilderness (most likely WL too)

ahh yes, Allears has info

http://allears.net/tp/ewp.htm

I saw it a few years ago and it made me smile. Used to be a highlight of any trip to Ft. Wilderness to go to the beach and catch this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom