Water pipe break behind Splash

Magenta Panther

The ability to enjoy an attraction is in no way tied to your knowledge of the attraction's origins. If it were, the ride wouldn't be as popular as it is. As it stands, the ride is incredibly popular to this day, there are few attractions at WDW that even come up to par with it IMO (in fully working state), and it continues to draw in guests of all ages (including kids who love the characters).

I'm not against something new provided it's inherently and completely superior to what was there. But there have been way too many "Under New Managements" or "Imagination 2.0's" for me to blindly jump on a gut and replace bandwagon. Perhaps if something was built on the scale of WRE or better we'd have something. But as it stands, Splash in 100% working condition still feels awesome and relevant. And if something new were built, it would be best if it were an addition and not a replacement.

The song "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" alone makes the ride timeless! It's a classic Disney song that many children know, and the ride illustrates for them the particular Disney movie that song belongs to (pity they'll never get to SEE that movie...:( ) But Splash does need a major refurb, especially its AAs. They look very dated, and apparently break down a lot. Surely it would be more cost-effective just to replace them; duct tape and baling wire will only go so far :D. Think of Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox rebuilt with the same tech that was used for Lumiere in the new Belle attraction. Talk about magical! I get chills just thinking about it...

jt04

I didn't say no change. Like Lee said, expect more queue work. Possibly something returning outside again, and some new AV in the grotto.

Nothing like the excellent HM or HoP refurbs.

For now anyway. Word has it people like Staggs and Lasseter are lurking around the resort. Taking plenty of notes I am sure. And of special note it seems to me is that HoP and HM and Tiki do not have the problems that Splash and Pirates suffer. That is what upgrading technology will do for you. Very cost effective it seems. Is there any possibility they will digitize the circlevision films in Canada or China?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Upgrading technology.... This is the place that has 1973 audio tech next to 2005 tech. In the same Attraction. And they wonder why it has flat areas. They wouldn't pay for the extra money - and still won't - to bring all of Pirates up to current standards.

Alektronic

For now anyway. Word has it people like Staggs and Lasseter are lurking around the resort. Taking plenty of notes I am sure. And of special note it seems to me is that HoP and HM and Tiki do not have the problems that Splash and Pirates suffer. That is what upgrading technology will do for you. Very cost effective it seems. Is there any possibility they will digitize the circlevision films in Canada or China?

What technology are you talking about? For the ride? Or for the show?

They will upgrade China and Canada one of these days when it becomes more cost effective. It will be very expensive to convert 9 movies from film to digital and then put in 9 new digital projectors. Maybe if they can get some cheap ones or some current models which are being discontinued so they can get a good deal on them.

pumpkin7

Upgrading technology.... This is the place that has 1973 audio tech next to 2005 tech. In the same Attraction. And they wonder why it has flat areas. They wouldn't pay for the extra money - and still won't - to bring all of Pirates up to current standards.

The problem with PotC is that they have really cartoony, funny looking pirates next to life like figures of Jack Sparrow and Hector Barbosa. I really don't see why they had to add them at all but they can't make all the pirates look too 'human' because it was designed to look 'fake' if you know what I mean. If the original pirates looked more human then there wouldn't have been a problem.

As for Splash, it's an enjoyable attraction without knowing it's origins. You don't need to know a back story. In Song of the South, the characters don't play a massive part, as in, it's not an entire film about Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox. They're stories within a story so they can stand alone, and they do. Zip a Dee Doo Dah is a classic, most kids will know it, but they've never seen the film. I say don't touch the story or the theme. It's fine, it's just the show elements that need love.

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No

Since it is rumored that Lasseter is lurking in the resort do you think things like this will be addressed or is the mixing of technology more of an infrastructure thing?

jme

Lasseter has nothing to do with those kinds of things. He's got a lot of weight at the film studio, but in the Parks? Yea he was named Principal Creative Advisor for Imagineering, but that's just because he gives input on ride designs, probably almost exclusively on Pixar rides.

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
Lasseter has nothing to do with those kinds of things. He's got a lot of weight at the film studio, but in the Parks? Yea he was named Principal Creative Advisor for Imagineering, but that's just because he gives input on ride designs, probably almost exclusively on Pixar rides.

The man has major pull I would bet he could stir anything up in the entire Disney company

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
What technology are you talking about? For the ride? Or for the show?

They will upgrade China and Canada one of these days when it becomes more cost effective. It will be very expensive to convert 9 movies from film to digital and then put in 9 new digital projectors. Maybe if they can get some cheap ones or some current models which are being discontinued so they can get a good deal on them.
The problem with that is that cheap ones will not hold up to the rigors of theme park use and discontinued ones become ever more problematic with finding the correct replacement bulbs.

Alektronic

The problem with that is that cheap ones will not hold up to the rigors of theme park use and discontinued ones become ever more problematic with finding the correct replacement bulbs.

Exactly! But they don't care about that usually, they just want something cheap so they can stay under budget for installation and operation. They don't care about future maintenance costs because they comes out of a different budget.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Yes, SQS still do show reviews and they are documented and copies are sent to the respective depts. But just like most inspections they let the dept know a couple of weeks ahead of time.
???

Sector Qualifications Strategy
Spatial Query Server
Supplemental Qualifications Statement
Supplier Quality Surveillance
Shuqun Secondary School
Standing Quad Stretch
Skill Qualification Score
Systems Qualification Specification
Separable Quantum State
Sales, Quality and Service
Service Quality System
Software Quality Standard
Software Quality Systems (software quality and testing)
Sediment Quality Standards
Single Queueing Station
Simple Queue Service

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom