Water pipe break behind Splash

jt04

Who cares what draws them there? If people didn't like the story and the characters represented, it would come up as a problem with the attraction.

It's never come up in any consistent metering, therefore this is a non-issue.

I am sure the same could be said for Toad. However Pooh sells way beyond anything Toad could ever approach. I think the same scenario will happen with Splash. Possibly sooner than people think.

menamechris

Splash was up when I visited tonight, although there were technical problems just before the laughing place when the log goes up. Our log plus the one in front stopped for a few minutes and an announcement was made to remain seated, after that point there was a constant back log (no pun intended). All logs were back to back.

This has been happening constantly for about a year now. I ride Splash every few weeks, and it has been over a year since I have been able to get through the ride without the ride stopping and having the annoucement come on. Oh, and have been evacuated from the ride 3 times...

M.rudolf

It is popular becaust of the ride system not the story. Keep the ride system and give it a great story and it will be just as popular if not moreso.

And while they are at it they can fill it with modern tech that is actually maintainable.

A great story for modern audiences will also move merchandise so the attraction can actually finance its own upkeep. See POTC.
That's sacrilegious. Not everything has to be modern and POTC isn't modern. Not everything has to made to move merch. Please tell me what's wrong with the story. Next you'll want to replace the story in haunted mansion because it's not pc

pumpkin7

Well, if they do have to change the story and theme, lets just hope they keep it chocka with animatronics and not go all next gen on us like Nemo in the Living Seas. That would be a bummer. I love Splash because of it's animatronics and it's charm. I don't care if one or two things are broken, as long as they don't get back to the point where the entire boat in the last scene had all the birds bent over backwards and not moving. I just don't want them to change it to a bunch of TV screens.

jt04

That's sacrilIgous. Not everything has to be modern and POTC isn't modern. Not everything has to made to move merch. Please tell me what's wrong with the story. Next you'll want to replace the story in haunted mansion because it's not pc

A perfect example is Toad as I mentioned earlier. People generally could not relate to it although a good story. It just became obsolete. The story, not the ride system. So it was replaced with content most know and love. No, not everything needs to move merchandise but the more stuff that does the easier it is to keep stuff up to the standards we demand around here because the overhead at WDW is extremely high obviously.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
A perfect example is Toad as I mentioned earlier. People generally could not relate to it although a good story. It just became obsolete. The story, not the ride system. So it was replaced with content most know and love. No, not everything needs to move merchandise but the more stuff that does the easier it is to keep stuff up to the standards we demand around here because the overhead at WDW is extremely high obviously.
See, I totally disagree on the why on Toad. It was a poorly conveyed story with an antiquated ride system and the props were cardboard cutouts. I see the reason it was removed was that the delivery did not hold up to standards. (along with the merchandising side of Pooh)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And that's why Toad is still very popular in Disneyland?

Pooh was a marketing need. It could have gone in several locations, they chose the cheap route (yet again) to gut Toad. Install a store where part of a ride used to be. And still have a ride smaller than the space available to it.

Btw SWSA is gutted. That's not coming back either.

jt04

And that's why Toad is still very popular in Disneyland?

Pooh was a marketing need. It could have gone in several locations, they chose the cheap route (yet again) to gut Toad. Install a store where part of a ride used to be. And still have a ride smaller than the space available to it.

Btw SWSA is gutted. That's not coming back either.

Fortunately they seem to have moved beyond letting accountants dictate to WDI. See the FLE, Carsland, BVS. And I won't miss SWSA if it means something better in that space either sooner or later.

BTW, anything in the parks that does not have extreme wait times is going to be popular. Something to do while waiting for fastpass times. I'd wager though that Toad does not sell well as it pertains to merchandise. Pooh is a classic that will stand the test of time. And it sells big time.

M.rudolf

Fortunately they seem to have moved beyond letting accountants dictate to WDI. See the FLE, Carsland, BVS. And I won't miss SWSA if it means something better in that space either sooner or later.

BTW, anything in the parks that does not have extreme wait times is going to be popular. Something to do while waiting for fastpass times. I'd wager though that Toad does not sell well as it pertains to merchandise. Pooh is a classic that will stand the test of time. And it sells big time.
Pooh is a classic, but so is Song of the South. Not everything that doesn't have wait times will be a hit,a bad ride is a bad ride. There are tons of popular attractions that sell very little merch. Space mountain,Soarin, jungle cruise,dumbo, Kali river, and the great movie ride just to name a few. I understand that the parks need to make money, but not everything is always going to lend itself to merchandising. Accountants still dictate to WDI and they will continue as long as this regime is in play. All your examples point directly to that. From your frame of thinking WDO shouldn't be held to a higher standard. There is a place for classics at WDW and not everything has to revolve around merchandise. With the cost of admission and food alone, merchandise should be an afterthought. The gravy, but instead we are forcefed the same homogenized tshirts and plushes in every giftshop after the majority of rides. It refreshing to get off jungle cruise,Cali, Soaring and toy story mania and not have not have this take place. It was cool when the shops had unique merchandise but now it's said that this is the star at the parks and not the rides or the theming. Id love to be in a meeting where they are demoing a truly innovative ride and it's shelved due to the lack of merchandising opportunities. I bet it happens a lot

Californian Elitist

Toad may be gone in Florida but the fanbase is still huge with Disneyland fans and the lines are ALWAYS longer than Snow and Pinocchio. I created a Fantasyland Five poll on MiceChat, where everyone listed their favorite Fantasyland dark ride, from favorite to least. Toad came in second after Pan. That attraction has clearly withstood the test of time. It's 57 years old and I don't think the popularity and the huge fanbase has anything to do with merchandise. It's definitely not obsolete.

M.rudolf

Toad may be gone in Florida but the fanbase is still huge with Disneyland fans and the lines are ALWAYS longer than Snow and Pinocchio. I created a Fantasyland Five poll on MiceChat, where everyone listed their favorite Fantasyland dark ride, from favorite to least. Toad came in second after Pan. That attraction has clearly withstood the test of time. It's 57 years old and I don't think the popularity and the huge fanbase has anything to do with merchandise. It's definitely not obsolete.
You are the bomb. We alL know jt looks at the world through special glasses

WDWmazprty

You are the bomb. We alL know jt looks at the world through special glasses

url

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom