News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A less full park is enticing. Eating dinner in Epcot is what I’ll miss. I’m assuming we can’t because we can’t hop.
Do we know that for sure? Wasn’t there some speculation that you would be able to hop to another park on the day of as long as there was capacity. You won’t be able to book ADRs but maybe you won’t need them. I remember going to WDW in the 90s and waking in at places in EPCOT. We almost never made reservations anywhere. I don’t even think you could do it online back then, you had to call and it was a long distance call from home.

Rider

Do we know that for sure? Wasn’t there some speculation that you would be able to hop to another park on the day of as long as there was capacity. You won’t be able to book ADRs but maybe you won’t need them. I remember going to WDW in the 90s and waking in at places in EPCOT. We almost never made reservations anywhere. I don’t even think you could do it online back then, you had to call and it was a long distance call from home.

It's in the announcement.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
In light of what Apple did today, I'm thinking that if the spike in cases doesn't subside by next week, you will see movement on Disney walking back its opening. If USO changes course and starts shutting things down, then it's game over for a Disney opening.

RaveOnEd

In light of what Apple did today, I'm thinking that if the spike in cases doesn't subside by next week, you will see movement on Disney walking back its opening. If USO changes course and starts shutting things down, then it's game over for a Disney opening.
There are stores of all kinds scaling back or temporarily closing to slow the spikes in cases. Disney isn't walking anything back anywhere.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Don’t forget the Disneyland unions firing a salvo too...
One which will probably be considered favorably by Sacramento and maybe Disney as well?

Mainahman

Everyone goes to Disney Parks for different things. I never meet the characters anymore, but as a kid I loved it. That doesn’t mean I shrug my shoulders and say “I never meet the characters, doesn’t bother me that they are gone!”

Less Disney experiences means less of a Disney park.
We go for the attractions, and the food. For us ( short of not seeing caseys corner being recalled yet) were good. we will be there. Depending where they put us, depends on when we leave. If we get a large upgrade, we will leave earlier to enjoy that pool and pool bar arrival day. Ill miss park hopping, but means i get more ride time in each park.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Unless the Comcast overlords step in and force a pull back I don’t see Universal doing it on their own. The government is firmly behind a full speed ahead, ignore the data approach. They won’t buck that trend. Even if Disney postponed their opening I don’t see Universal reacting.

Brooklin Disney Dad

I can see it now.... "In order to ensure social distancing for the safety of our guests, we will not be lighting the castle this holiday season" ........ The real reason..... because MONEY.
No...people will stand around trying to do family pictures all through the day. I expect that there will be no photopass either. Dozens of people stop and look at ride photos, stop along the streets for photos by CMs. This creates bottlenecks and forces others to come close.
Why people are eager to still go in July/August blows my mind! We have gone each year for the past 11 years. I get the “magic”. Disney is like an addicting drug. Why risk the health of your kids, family and the community you will be returning home to?Florida is getting pounded by Covid. I am shocked that the governor hasn’t shut down the state! The wave that hit NY is now on FLA. Politics trumping health and safety I guess. Disney is going nowhere anytime soon. Good luck. I hope you are all safe!

danv3

With the COVID news each passing day, WDW's reopening in July looks less and less likely IMO.

Disstevefan1

No...people will stand around trying to do family pictures all through the day. I expect that there will be no photopass either. Dozens of people stop and look at ride photos, stop along the streets for photos by CMs. This creates bottlenecks and forces others to come close.
Why people are eager to still go in July/August blows my mind! We have gone each year for the past 11 years. I get the “magic”. Disney is like an addicting drug. Why risk the health of your kids, family and the community you will be returning home to?Florida is getting pounded by Covid. I am shocked that the governor hasn’t shut down the state! The wave that hit NY is now on FLA. Politics trumping health and safety I guess. Disney is going nowhere anytime soon. Good luck. I hope you are all safe!

How ever folks want to rationalize it or Disney will spin it, I suspect we will not see castle lights this holiday season, and it will save the mouse some money.

DisneyDebRob

More details on the attractions and entertainment line-up for Walt Disney World's reopening
I just don’t know how you can have a cavalcade down the parade route and have social distancing. The friends sailing the waterways of AK seems impossible also. You can have 10 people standing on those bridges and it seems crowded. Interesting to see how they both work.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So you’re telling me that they’re gonna have Festival of the Lion King reopen... but not Nemo, Beast, Frozen, or Indy??
That one surprised me too. The 3D movie theaters are easy to control with one way in, one way out and they could easily use every other row and force space between groups. Any show where people crowd on the way in or out seems problematic to me. I guess with very limited capacity and lots of CMs to organize the crowds both coming in and leaving it’s possible, but like you said wouldn’t that apply to those other shows too?

Haylo

So you’re telling me that they’re gonna have Festival of the Lion King reopen... but not Nemo, Beast, Frozen, or Indy??

That's the one that surprised me too. It doesn't make sense to me that Actor's Equity would allow that one show to go on but not any of the others. I feel it would be an all or nothing situation - either Disney has met the requirements set forth by Equity to bring back AEA performers or it hasn't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom