News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

GoofGoof

Premium Member

DLR>WDW

Not sure about this announcement. With all rides using distancing, capacity will be shrunk to around 50% or less depending on the attraction. And though more than half the amount of people are going to be in the park, queues will still be moving at a much slower rate. I imagine they didn’t want to do virtual queues due to the complexity of calculating the capacity for an attraction. For example, a ride vehicle with only two rows can only accommodate 1 party, however the size of the party can range from 1 all the way to the full vehicle capacity. With a ride like Rise of the Resistance, capacity will have to be shrunk immensely for guests to maintain distance in all of the preshows and ride vehicle. I could be wrong, so I’m interested to see how this all turns out.

techgeek

I'm honestly mind blown that we haven't seen any movement towards pushing it back.

The trend in these numbers is obviously not good, but what should be the ‘breaking point’ that causes Disney or Universal to roll back?

In March / April, we had no ‘real’ testing, so we had no idea what was really happening. I think a lot of the early shutdown reactions were motivated by the unknowns as much as the real and present situations in Italy and New York.

What metric, and at what level, should a tipping point now be? We have a lot more impact data now, but we are all over the place on public and political opinion. If you polled only public health officials I doubt any would be comfortable with the parks being fully open, but even they admit there has to be some form of balance.

oceanbreeze77

The trend in these numbers is obviously not good, but what should be the ‘breaking point’ that causes Disney or Universal to roll back?

In March / April, we had no ‘real’ testing, so we had no idea what was really happening. I think a lot of the early shutdown reactions were motivated by the unknowns as much as the real and present situations in Italy and New York.

What metric, and at what level, should a tipping point now be? We have a lot more impact data now, but we are all over the place on public and political opinion. If you polled only public health officials I doubt any would be comfortable with the parks being fully open, but even they admit there has to be some form of balance.
Specifically with Florida being the new Epicenter, I think the only acceptable balance for the state is keeping the parks closed until they can get control over this rapid spread. Its not just a spike here and there in cases, Florida is the new focus point for a lot of epidemiologists (along with AZ, OK, CA, and AL). Florida is in a dire position right now.

TrojanUSC

If Universal employees start to test positive, I think there will be some real movement both from them and Disney.

oceanbreeze77

If Universal employees start to test positive, I think there will be some real movement both from them and Disney.
I saw last night on twitter that there are employees testing positive. IDK if its just rumors, but big YIKES if true.

I don't want to post the tweets but type in "gringotts positive" in the twitter search

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Universal currently does character 'parades' by randomly bringing out a float. Without announced times, they avoid crowds gathering. You either catch it or you don't (like the old walk-around characters).

SWGE can now make really good use of all those catwalks and have character up there a lot of the time.

mickeymiss

Everyone goes to Disney Parks for different things. I never meet the characters anymore, but as a kid I loved it. That doesn’t mean I shrug my shoulders and say “I never meet the characters, doesn’t bother me that they are gone!”

Less Disney experiences means less of a Disney park.

I wasn't saying any of that disparagingly. I was pointing out that my particular family is considered strange for not doing those things. Of course every Disney event is special to someone and I was not saying otherwise. ✌

Beacon Joe

mickeymiss

Wonder where the 'breaking point' for many people is (to not go to the parks...not for starting a purge .. :p)

We are still looking at that end of September trip

- Doubt the cruise part will happen though .. so we are looking for something else to do for that part (DCL reservation still stands)
- No park hopping is a shame, but we can manage with one park a day (even more so as we have over 10 days in the parks anyways)
- No water parks would be sad (some relaxation for sore feet and legs)
- No characters and parades would suck for my sis and girlfriend (my mom and me are not big fans of them)
- No special events and shortend hours
- No fireworks, I am split on that one .. I totally love fireworks, but the stress to find a spot beforehand was always the worst part of the day.
- No enforcement of masks. Getting yelled at by a strormtroopers for not wearing a mask is fun and all, but it will demonstrate the pure disregard for your fellow park visitors. (and if you have medical reasons not to wear one .. you probably shouldn't be around other people during that time anyways). Might as well wear a shirt with a middle finger on it.

On the other hand .. with only a handful of people in the park .. walking around might be kind of relaxing (kinda like Hong Kong in September of 2019) :D

I don't feel like the spike in cases reflects anything about Disney specifically unless they have an identified outbreak. Don't come for me 😂 I feel like Disney has a plan that exceeds most standards. None of the things you mentioned are dealbreakers for us. We are very basic and boring lol. I think capacity limits, temp checks and a collective good faith effort to encourage masks will make this one of the safest places to be. Our deal breakers were if they closed water rides or pools.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom