News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

Lilofan

That one surprised me too. The 3D movie theaters are easy to control with one way in, one way out and they could easily use every other row and force space between groups. Any show where people crowd on the way in or out seems problematic to me. I guess with very limited capacity and lots of CMs to organize the crowds both coming in and leaving it’s possible, but like you said wouldn’t that apply to those other shows too?
No Beauty and the Best, Indy at DHS? One can forget Fantasmic show at night also. Is DHS worth paying full price? I'm not sure if that.

Lilofan

That's the one that surprised me too. It doesn't make sense to me that Actor's Equity would allow that one show to go on but not any of the others. I feel it would be an all or nothing situation - either Disney has met the requirements set forth by Equity to bring back AEA performers or it hasn't.
These actors equity going to still collect their unemployment checks?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
That's the one that surprised me too. It doesn't make sense to me that Actor's Equity would allow that one show to go on but not any of the others. I feel it would be an all or nothing situation - either Disney has met the requirements set forth by Equity to bring back AEA performers or it hasn't.
Perhaps Lion King, given the live actors, is either their testing performance venue to see if their plan works. Or perhaps Lion King was just easier to reopen sooner than the other shows?

I dunno. Doesn’t make sense to me. Meanwhile Universal has now reopened all of their shows. Including an odd show experience like Poseidon’s Fury... as well as test show for the new Bourne stunt show.

TrainsOfDisney

So it'll be festival of the lion king without the 4 lead singers? They just gonna play audio and have dancers and timon?

Something like that... some sort of modified experience. The stage manager would be equity too that’s probably more complicated than the singers.

Maybe Festival of the Lion king will look a lot more like Racing Academy when it reopens?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Something like that... some sort of modified experience. The stage manager would be equity too that’s probably more complicated than the singers.

Maybe Festival of the Lion king will look a lot more like Racing Academy when it reopens?
I don’t know the union rules but could they temporarily just use regular CMs if the show is altered? Like EPCOT opening WS without some of the international CMs.

techgeek

Could they just lip sync it or would that still violate the union deal?

If they lip-sync it, I would make a strong case that's not 'good show'. Live singing is a huge part of FotLK.

I can't wrap my head around that one at all... Not only is it a very challenging venue to load and distance seating, but fur-suits or singing or not I question the ability of the cast to maintain any sort of expected protections.

There's a reason why broadway is staying dark well into 2021, and it's not just about the money. Producing theatrical shows is a very intimate group experience.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If they lip-sync it, I would make a strong case that's not 'good show'. Live singing is a huge part of FotLK.

I can't wrap my head around that one at all... Not only is it a very challenging venue to load and distance seating, but fur-suits or singing or not I question the ability of the cast to maintain any sort of expected protections.

There's a reason why broadway is staying dark well into 2021, and it's not just about the money. Producing theatrical shows is a very intimate group experience.
I don’t disagree. Having a guy from Iowa working in the Morocco pavilion at EPCOT isn’t great show either but it’s a pandemic. Some things need to be sacrificed.

I think keeping the performers safe is the harder part. Maybe they will wear masks for rehearsals and even during the show. Who knows.

Magic Feather

I can only think of two reasons why FotLK is getting the Green Light ahead of other shows.
1) It’s viewed as one of DAK’s main draws/E-Tickets
2) It’s one of the few shows on property that performers could wear masks in without messing up character integrity standards.

TrainsOfDisney

Could they just lip sync it or would that still violate the union deal?

I’m not sure... but I think just replacing an equity performer with a non-equity “stand-in” would require more approvals than just not having them and playiny pre-recorded audio.

There are more problems with that show opening than just equity.. I think the show will be HIGHLY modified. I can’t imagine Disney wanting to have dancers and stuntmen working so close together in rehearsals and performance.

jinx8402

Interesting that droid depot is opening and not savi's. You would think they could just reduce capacity to open. Or, do we think this might be because of the equity actor for the scavenger?

Lilofan

I don’t disagree. Having a guy from Iowa working in the Morocco pavilion at EPCOT isn’t great show either but it’s a pandemic. Some things need to be sacrificed.

I think keeping the performers safe is the harder part. Maybe they will wear masks for rehearsals and even during the show. Who knows.
I hope the belly dancer in Epcot/ Morocco is not cancelled!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom