News Walt Disney World to eliminate self-service paper straws and plastic lids

MickeyLuv'r

Would it be possible for people to stop with the all or nothing arguments? It is disingenuous and blatantly ignores reality.

You can be for replacing as much plastic usage as we reasonably can without collapsing the economy or sending us all back to the stone age. You can also change your mind if the replacement ends up being worse. It is called being reasonable.

In this case sure, replacing plastic straws at Disney is a tiny, infinitesimal step in the grand scheme but because it doesn’t stop all plastic from now until the end of time across all reaches of the universe we shouldn’t bother? Is that how you folks live the rest of your life? You all just give up whenever something isn’t accomplished instantly? You have never chipped away slowly at a ridiculously complicated problem?

I’m just glad you all weren’t around when humans were working their way out of the caves or we would all be sitting there still.
For me, no.
Disney advertising it via a plastic sign doesn't also strike you as a bit disingenuous?

Personally, I don't generally mind a few less straws at WDW, and I dislike lids on hot coffee cups. I tend not to use them if given a choice. I also appreciate being able to opt out of plasticware when getting mobile order/carry out.

I am willing to bet though that this campaign is no more long-lasting than many of WDW's other campaigns. They last a year or two and then get quietly dropped.

Remember when Disney made a big marketing deal over how they were no longer going to sell junk food to kids? How they were no longer going to partner with McDonalds? It was called, "The Magic of Healthy Living." https://www.licenseglobal.com/health-wellness/disney-launches-magic-healthy-living

Well, I was floored to see the new Disney "Fruity" 100 cereal! It looks like this, with 15 grams of sugar per serving:
1693513211308.png

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

Disney is also now selling a Little Mermaid cereal with 13grams of sugar per serving, and one themed to Hocus Pocus that also has 13grams of sugar. ALL of these cereals are clearly marketed to children and have PLENTY of bright colored food dye.

Apparently, the internet no longer cares about the marketing of sugary foods to kids.

I think we now know why Disney remade the LM and Hocus Pocus 2. To sell bright colored cereal!

The straws change sounds like marketing bandwagon. When people forget to be outraged over straws, they will likely be back.

Dranth

For me, no.
Disney advertising it via a plastic sign doesn't also strike you as a bit disingenuous?
No, not at all. Even less so if it is actually made of recycled plastic that was going to sit in a landfill for hundreds of years.

Personally, I don't generally mind a few less straws at WDW, and I dislike lids on hot coffee cups. I tend not to use them if given a choice. I also appreciate being able to opt out of plasticware when getting mobile order/carry out.

I am willing to bet though that this campaign is no more long-lasting than many of WDW's other campaigns. They last a year or two and then get quietly dropped.
Could very well be and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they reversed course on this down the line for any number of reasons.

Remember when Disney made a big marketing deal over how they were no longer going to sell junk food to kids? How they were no longer going to partner with McDonalds? It was called, "The Magic of Healthy Living." https://www.licenseglobal.com/health-wellness/disney-launches-magic-healthy-living

Well, I was floored to see the new Disney "Fruity" 100 cereal! It looks like this, with 15 grams of sugar per serving:
Yes, and people threw a fit over it so they backed off. Now they generally try to offer more choices while letting people decide if they want to eat healthy or not.

I am not suggesting people have blind faith in what Disney says, obviously that would be a mistake, but you can look at what they do in context and support the good decisions, no matter how they got to them, while calling out the bad.

LittleBuford

And while there are certainly certain items that are always going to utilize plastics, that doesn't mean that we give up on trying to limit waste, or their utilization where we can. To the extent we can limit any single use product, not only are we helping to eliminate the waste in disposing of them, we are helping to reduce waste/use of resources in their fabrication.
This is such an inoffensive and self-evidently sensible approach that I have no idea why it’s proving controversial in this thread.

dreday3

All these people on here talking about saving the planet yet happy to support what has to be seen as a totally unnecessary expenditure of the planets resources to "amuse" people and generate money for a multination conglomerate. SMH

My thing has always been, you can ask for the lid!!!

That's it. I get the reason why th change may not be what they say, blah, blah, blah, but geezus, you're there for what, a week? Ask for the lid and move on with your day.

I don't harp on people about environmental issues because screw it. We're already too late. I'm thrilled to be turning 50 and to be gone before I can see what becomes of the planet for future generations.

Last edited:

Tom P.

My thing has always been, you can ask for the lid!!!

That's it. I get the reason why th change may not be what they say, blah, blah, blah, but geezus, you're there for what, a week? Ask for the lid and move on with your day.

I don't harp on people about environmental issues because screw it. We're already too late. I'm thrilled to be turning 50 and to be gone before I can see what becomes of the planet for future generations.
Perhaps I am mistaken, but I read the announcement as saying that putting the lids behind the counter where you have to ask for them was only the first step in the transition, with the intention being to phase them out entirely.

dreday3

Perhaps I am mistaken, but I read the announcement as saying that putting the lids behind the counter where you have to ask for them was only the first step in the transition, with the intention being to phase them out entirely.

I don't know, I didn't read that. I personally thought it was really just to reduce the waste that probably happens when they have the lids out in the open. People knocking them down, grabbing 8 when they need 2...stuff like that.

Tom P.

I don't know, I didn't read that.
Well, the first line says, "Walt Disney World will begin phasing out the availability of plastic lids and paper straws at its quick-service restaurants and snack locations across the resort." The phrase "phasing out" to me suggests the plan is to eliminate, not just permanently move behind the counter. Also, the article later says, "Disney is working to achieve zero waste to landfill for its parks, resorts, and cruise line by 2030." There is no way you could truly achieve zero waste if you were going to continue offering them, even on a limited basis.

Perhaps @wdwmagic would care to comment on whether or not I am interpreting the article correctly?

dreday3

Well, the first line says, "Walt Disney World will begin phasing out the availability of plastic lids and paper straws at its quick-service restaurants and snack locations across the resort." The phrase "phasing out" to me suggests the plan is to eliminate, not just permanently move behind the counter. Also, the article later says, "Disney is working to achieve zero waste to landfill for its parks, resorts, and cruise line by 2030." There is no way you could truly achieve zero waste if you were going to continue offering them, even on a limited basis.

Perhaps @wdwmagic would care to comment on whether or not I am interpreting the article correctly?

It's fine. You can be right. No need to call in the big guns. 😄

brettf22

Premium Member
The phrase "phasing out" to me suggests the plan is to eliminate, not just permanently move behind the counter.
Based on my three counter service experiences this week, they have already eliminated lids. At all three, I have asked for lids and straws when picking up my meal. At all three, I was given a paper straw, but told that lids were no longer available.

Nubs70

Disney should take the lead and attempt to build a nuclear power plant or two with the latest technology. That’s something i will get behind that will have true impact. And then maybe they can convince the feds and other companies to follow.
Where would WDW get sufficient cooling water?

Nubs70

This times a thousand. Its not a fundamental technology issue, its a marketing/lifestyle issue.

Plastics and disposable products starting gaining popularity when it was discovered 1) it was cheaper to work in plastics and mass produce items; 2) plastics and mass production of single use items meant repeat sails over long term, turning into more profits. And to be fair to businesses 3) a fundamental change in the work force makeup in the 60's and 70's where you started to have more 2 parent work families, and more women entering the workforce such that being able to spend less time on prep/cleaning, and a more on the go lifestyle benefitted from disposable singe use items.

And while there are certainly certain items that are always going to utilize plastics, that doesn't mean that we give up on trying to limit waste, or their utilization where we can. To the extent we can limit any single use product, not only are we helping to eliminate the waste in disposing of them, we are helping to reduce waste/use of resources in their fabrication.
Single use plastics that end up in the landfill are a very effective form of carbon sequestration.

DisneyCane

I read it the same way as you did. Also, I'd like somebody to teach me what a business that serves food will do with food waste if not send it to a landfill in order to achieve "zero waste to landfill." What will they be doing with the rubber gloves that food prep people and cleaners wear? Reuse them?

The slogan wouldn't be as catchy but it would be much more realistic to say that our goal is to reduce our waste to landfill by 80% by 2030.

John park hopper

On a individual level we at home compost all our kitchen food waste and grass clippings. Our garden soil has gone from sand to rich organic soil. I would guess Disney could do the same on a large scale-bag it and sell it as Disney magic dirt.

Last edited:

WorldExplorer

I read it the same way as you did. Also, I'd like somebody to teach me what a business that serves food will do with food waste if not send it to a landfill in order to achieve "zero waste to landfill." What will they be doing with the rubber gloves that food prep people and cleaners wear? Reuse them?

The slogan wouldn't be as catchy but it would be much more realistic to say that our goal is to reduce our waste to landfill by 80% by 2030.

Can't say anything about the gloves, but apparently the foodwaste is somehow turned into bus fuel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom