News Walt Disney World to eliminate self-service paper straws and plastic lids

MickeyLuv'r

I NEVER take ANYONE here for granted nor would I ever be accused in putting words in anyone’s mouth. I don’t want to assume, I want to hear you and all the other anti straw folks speak out against the packaging too. I honestly wonder how many straws we can make out of ONE of those clamshell packages…
It drives me batty. Grocery stores are now loaded with tons of plastic everywhere. Grapes used to be sold in loose bunches, for example, but stores realized they could make a tiny bit more if they bagged them instead, so now all grapes are sold in plastic bags and clamshells.

MickeyLuv'r

Is there a report on this?
A report?
If you renew your AP you will not get a plastic card these days. That's all I was sharing. To use the AP merch discount, patrons are asked to show their AP in the app. Universal has also moved mostly to an app now too.

WDW generally does not issue KTTW cards either. Instead, they heavily advertise using your phone to open your hotel room door. (Or buy a Magicband.)

The WDW hotels, for the most part, don't give out any paper like they used to do. Everything is via email and MDE.

celluloid

A report?
If you renew your AP you will not get a plastic card these days. That's all I was sharing. To use the AP merch discount, patrons are asked to show their AP in the app. Universal has also moved mostly to an app now too.

WDW generally does not issue KTTW cards either. Instead, they heavily advertise using your phone to open your hotel room door. (Or buy a Magicband.)

The WDW hotels, for the most part, don't give out any paper like they used to do. Everything is via email and MDE.
You mentioned APs
You stated Disney was moving to all tickets were moving to phones.

What you said was not true.

You absolutely can still get a card for renewing your APs. Many people don't because phone is one default option.

Biodegradable and paper flyers is not an environmental situation as they rarely cause issue.

Everything you mentioned is a cost saving situation.

MickeyLuv'r

You mentioned APs
You stated Disney was moving to all tickets were moving to phones.

What you said was not true.

You absolutely can still get a card for renewing your APs. Many people don't because phone is one default option.

Biodegradable and paper flyers is not an environmental situation as they rarely cause issue.

Everything you mentioned is a cost saving situation.
Huh? I think you're reading more into what I posted than was intended. I was mostly referring to what was reported in this thread.

If you want to disagree, okay.

LittleBuford

Our parents and grandparents didn’t spend their days virtue signaling about being green, they just actually used cloth diapers, washed their old ceramic coffee cup, and took the same lunchbox and thermos to work everyday.

When I see a Gen Z mom use cloth diapers, I’ll start to believe they actually care.
People do what they can within the context they live in and the values they're brought up with. Our grandparents may have done the things you listed, but they also burnt enough coal to cause cities to be engulfed in smog and threw litter from their car windows.

Reducing waste is never a bad thing. Virtue signalling has nothing to do with it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Our parents and grandparents didn’t spend their days virtue signaling about being green, they just actually used cloth diapers, washed their old ceramic coffee cup, and took the same lunchbox and thermos to work everyday.

When I see a Gen Z mom use cloth diapers, I’ll start to believe they actually care.
Don’t confuse lack of choices with intentional chouce

Basil of Baker Street

It drives me batty. Grocery stores are now loaded with tons of plastic everywhere. Grapes used to be sold in loose bunches, for example, but stores realized they could make a tiny bit more if they bagged them instead, so now all grapes are sold in plastic bags and clamshells.
And they prevent loose grapes from being unsold and come with a handy dandy bar code so you can self checkout and eliminate a cashier job.

cha-ching! cha-ching!

MagicHappens1971

As far as I know, it is still possible to request a plastic card for park entry, but some CM's will refuse to honor the plastic card when it comes to the AP discount. IMO, that = moving to e-ticket AP's.
Just to put it out there, it is Disneys policy (new-ish) that you must show the digital AP /DVC (in the memberships & passes in MDX). Some CMs are stricter about it, but it is the policy.

TrainsOfDisney

Just to put it out there, it is Disneys policy (new-ish) that you must show the digital AP /DVC (in the memberships & passes in MDX). Some CMs are stricter about it, but it is the policy.
I’m not a lawyer but I sure feel like it should be illegal to insist someone own a piece of technology to be able to receive a discount they are entitled to.

MagicHappens1971

I’m not a lawyer but I sure feel like it should be illegal to insist someone own a piece of technology to be able to receive a discount they are entitled to.
I can understand your perspective, but the percentage of APs that dont have a smart phone has to be less than 1%. Im sure it’s not illegal.

Does Disney even get out physical AP cards anymore?

TrainsOfDisney

Does Disney even get out physical AP cards anymore?
When I asked at DL they said there is a physical card but it’s only for people who buy in person at the ticket booth. Since I bought online, it wasn’t an option for me.

Not sure what the policy is at WDW right now. They gave me plastic cards for 1 day tickets on my last couple of visits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom