News Walt Disney World to eliminate self-service paper straws and plastic lids

DisneyCane

On a individual level we at home compost all our kitchen food waste and grass clippings. Our garden soil has gone from sand to rich organic soil. I would guess Disney could do the same on a large scale-bag it and sell it as Disney magic dirt.
If they are going to make a giant compost pile than they can just switch to compostable plastic straws and lids which will still allow them to achieve their "zero waste to landfill goal."

Hopefully they create the pile far enough so an odor doesn't waft into the parks.

John park hopper

If they are going to make a giant compost pile than they can just switch to compostable plastic straws and lids which will still allow them to achieve their "zero waste to landfill goal."

Hopefully they create the pile far enough so an odor doesn't waft into the parks.
They have plenty of land and done right it really doesn't smell that bad. Read somewhere plastic made of corn degrade rapidly

cranbiz

Disney has a large transfer facility next to VM south. You don't get any smells that you can detect at any of the Seven Seas resorts or MK from it.

It's in the same area as the waste water treatment plant and no one really knows either of them are there.

Ayla

All of MK's trash is taken care of behind Splash Mtn.

JoeCamel

Disney has a large transfer facility next to VM south. You don't get any smells that you can detect at any of the Seven Seas resorts or MK from it.

It's in the same area as the waste water treatment plant and no one really knows either of them are there.
Just everyone that has ever taken the backstage tour.....
All of MK's trash is taken care of behind Splash Mtn.
Take a stroll along the river in the morning and catch a magical whiff of garbage. I swear they start moving it at rope drop

Nubs70

Can't say anything about the gloves, but apparently the foodwaste is somehow turned into bus fuel.
Food waste can be anaerobically digested to produce methane. The methane is then purified and compressed and can be used to as fuel.

Landfills can also be considered large anaerobic digesters which evolve methane that can then be used as fuels for mini turbines that produce electricity.

CntrlFlPete

Based on my three counter service experiences this week, they have already eliminated lids. At all three, I have asked for lids and straws when picking up my meal. At all three, I was given a paper straw, but told that lids were no longer available.

this was my experience over Labor Day weekend. Every place we asked said that they did not have any lids.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom