Walt Disney World "Monstrous Summer" Press Event April 25th & 26th

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Hearing some of these mentioned hopes of a MI coaster, Carsland, or Imagination overhaul announcement lead me to believe that many of us (me included) fail to learn from history of WDW announcements past.

Always remember this rule of thumb when it comes to any given WDW announcement:
-Hyping up expectations leads to serious aggravation.
-Keeping expectations low is usually the way to go!

Write that rule down somewhere & remember it well. It will save you from many-a-headache.

Very wise, Mr. Saget, sage of the board. BTW, your claim that you aren't the real Bob Saget, convinces me that you are him since that is exactly what the real Mr. Saget would say to avoid hangers on and ne'er do wells in this virtual universe that we can't escape.

Anyhoo, I was entertained by my @RSoxNo1 and @PhotoDave219 inspired search and thought I would entertain you guys with some of the results. Besides proving Bob's (if I may be so bold) point, it also proves that this site is the bomb for O-town area theme park enthusiasts.

Earliest mention (not a rumor)-
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/monster-inc-roller-coaster.2521/
Yes, we already had an armchair imagineer on this back in aught 01 when Monster's Inc. was first appearing on silver screens across this great land.

After this posting it would occasionally come up as an idea again and again. In 2005 and 2006 it was occasionally mentioned as a rumor, but discredited by most of the board. Then, in 07 the Monster's Inc. coaster had its very own thread by an insider that at the time was taken seriously:
Mousemerf’s thread –
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/rumor-monsters-coaster-at-mgm.260432/
I scanned a small portion the thread and many good comments were made, but this one that contained some really nice "doom and gloom" caught my eye -
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/rumor-monsters-coaster-at-mgm.260432/page-6#post-2651717
I also liked a few comments in the thread to see if people who hadn't been on the site in years would notice. Nice to come back to a like. I came back after an 18 month hiatus and my first like was done out of pity. "4500 posts and no likes", that kind of thing.
Also, some Monsters Inc. rumors are correct -
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/time-keeper-to-become-monsters-inc-based-attraction.66650/
Finally @jt04 has been using his own special WDW detective skills on this for quite a while -
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/proof-monsters-coming-to-dhs.323855/

Lee

Adventurer
The Monsters ride goes, if I recall correctly, all the way back to the early days of DCA. It would have gone there first, then be cloned to DHS.

It got cut from DCA early on, and became a DHS-only attraction.

WDI worked with Barton Malow on the ride system and building. Spent millions on design work, surveying, etc.

Then they killed it. Well, not killed...put it on the shelf. They toyed with just taking the easy route and dropping in a clone of Crush...but never pulled the trigger.

aladdin2007

The Monsters ride goes, if I recall correctly, all the way back to the early days of DCA. It would have gone there first, then be cloned to DHS.

It got cut from DCA early on, and became a DHS-only attraction.

WDI worked with Barton Malow on the ride system and building. Spent millions on design work, surveying, etc.

Then they killed it. Well, not killed...put it on the shelf. They toyed with just taking the easy route and dropping in a clone of Crush...but never pulled the trigger.

Do you think eventually its more likely to happen at the studios still or as an Imagination overhaul?

MerlinTheGoat

I don't see (or want to see) it anywhere but Studios.
Speaking of which, if I may ask- I haven't head much about the rumored DHS overhaul lately from you or anyone else. Are plans still going ahead and with an announcement coming fairly soon (perhaps by D23 or something)? And what are the current attractions planned for it? The thread with all this DHS expansion info has been pretty dead for some time now.

I asked the second question due to the many changes it has apparently seen. Some plans with a mostly complete clone of Cars Land in its entirety, others with just a standalone RSR but possibly also the Monsters Coaster (some even rumoring a possible Ratatouille ride), and yet another where they were going to "value" engineer RSR and give DHS a crappier clone of just a single ride. So what's the latest info you have about what is going to happen (if anything is still planned at all)?

doctornick

This

This. Seriously, how is this hard? If you a build an amazing immersive land, people will come. And if its unique, it will give us folk who visit both coasts more reason to do so.

I've said before and I'll say it again, what exactly is an "immersive" Incredibles land? A generic city that happens to have superheros? I love Incredibles,it's a great movie, but it isn't conducive to a "land" like other properties. It's just not distinctive as a place to visit. Certainly would be a great for a singular attraction, but not for an environment.

Ignoring Cars Land, Monsters Inc. is a better option for an immersive area than The Incredibles. At least you can have monster themed things -- odd shaped doors or buildings, puns in the signs, strange eyes looking out from the windows, etc.

Cars Land (or Hogsmeade) works because there's a place with actual specific things to see/visit. A generic Incredibles doesn't work the same way.

Genie of the Lamp

Here's my view on what the Pixar Place expansion would consist of:
-Incredibles E-Ticket (that Kuka Arm one that was being considered for DCA)
-MI Door Coaster D+Ticket
-Wall-e C-Ticket Omnimover
-Cars Merchandise Shop
-Fentons/Cafe La Ratatouille QS (you pick/vote)
-Bugs Life Playground to replace HISTK
-UP House M&G with AA Kevin on top of house and ballons attached
-Brave themed bathrooms
Is it even possible all of this could fit in the expansion area?
While that won't happen, I'll except some version of Carsland for this expansion.:)

Edit: So here's to happy dreaming that one day a substance of this package can make for a worthy announcement at a future press event of this nature.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
Here's my view on what the Pixar Place expansion would consist of:
-Incredibles E-Ticket (that Kuka Arm one that was being considered for DCA)
-MI Door Coaster D+Ticket
-Wall-e C-Ticket Omnimover
-Cars Merchandise Shop
-Fentons/Cafe La Ratatouille QS (you pick/vote)
-Bugs Life Playground to replace HISTK
-UP House M&G with AA Kevin on top of house and ballons attached
-Brave themed bathrooms
Is it even possible all of this could fit in the expansion area?
While that won't happen, I'll except some version of Carsland for this expansion.:)
Yuuuuuuuuuup!

Turtle

I've said before and I'll say it again, what exactly is an "immersive" Incredibles land? A generic city that happens to have superheros? I love Incredibles,it's a great movie, but it isn't conducive to a "land" like other properties. It's just not distinctive as a place to visit. Certainly would be a great for a singular attraction, but not for an environment.

Ignoring Cars Land, Monsters Inc. is a better option for an immersive area than The Incredibles. At least you can have monster themed things -- odd shaped doors or buildings, puns in the signs, strange eyes looking out from the windows, etc.

Cars Land (or Hogsmeade) works because there's a place with actual specific things to see/visit. A generic Incredibles doesn't work the same way.
Well I agree that Incredibles doesn't work for a whole land but if you need to, you can do Nomanisan Island (the Island in the Movie) with the e-ticket, a pod ride (detail from the movie), dinner in Syndrome's old lair (with all the lava where Bob is with Mirage), and a volcano Omnidroid ride.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Well I agree that Incredibles doesn't work for a whole land but if you need to, you can do Nomanisan Island (the Island in the Movie) with the e-ticket, a pod ride (detail from the movie), dinner in Syndrome's old lair (with all the lava where Bob is with Mirage), and a volcano Omnidroid ride.

I believe by modern WDW standards, you've just described the 5th gate.

WDW1974

Sadly most of these people are too interested in the free "goodie bag" or getting into the event to even take a critical look at to whats happening. To suggest that these people are anything other than unpaid PR people, regurgitating the company line, means you're not paying attention.

I actually want news about whats going on, not the same press release given out by everyone.

No, they're worse.

Some (many? most) of them have serious issues that could impact TWDC in a negative way. They don't seem to understand that Disney (and the entire world) can see what they're doing and how they are behaving.

It's great to have BRAND advocates, but what do you do when they're nuts? When their problems and issues start spreading like a virus onto Disney's BRAND and reputation?

Sure, they think Mommy Blogger are safer than fanbois, but they must not watch much Dateline or 48 Hours or 20/20 to realize that the veneer of perfect little families isn't always what it seems.

Disney needs to be doing vetting on every single social media that it is credentialing for any events and having ANY relationship with beyond sending emailed press releases.

But where and how often have I said this before?

WDW1974

Its the symbiotic relationship of the movie studios and advance screening for film press as is with gaming press and travel press...they need each other and neither one is going to rock the boat to ask pointed questions...

I don't compare them (and my very first job was as a film critic). Film critcs have to see films in advance to review them. ... There is no need to give a blogger who lives at the intersection of 192 and 27 (under the bridge, maybe?) a free room at the Poly for three nights and tickets and meals and booze and swag, yet wait and see what happens for this event.

I am amused by it because EVERY Disney site out there is a positive one (yeah, even Lutz and Yee's). It's just degrees of Pixie Dust. You don't need to do what Disney is doing. I am so afraid it is going to bite them on the collective arses when one of these folks gets into something ugly or is exposed for un-MAGICal behavior.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom