Walt Disney World "Monstrous Summer" Press Event April 25th & 26th

WDW1974

(Not wanting to spark any huge debates or anything, please don't refer to me as slime or anything like that after reading the following. I am just a person with a career path that allows me some flexibility.)

As someone who was *this close* to actually being one of these people for a living, I can tell you how I was planning on doing it. I am a blogger, not related to Disney, and I am a huge Disney fan as well, so this seemed like a natural fit. Plus, I have other income streams that would have allowed me to do this.

(Pre-cursor: This was actually going to be my plan, but I decided to hunt for full time jobs after grad school just for a short while to see what was out there. I found a full time job that was a really good match for me, so I ended up taking it instead.) I have a part time job working for a tech company from home, which I've had for the past year. I also used to work as an assistant to a marketing consultant, which I also do from home. If I added in one more stream of income (my plan was to get an easy job bartending/waiting tables somewhere in Orlando) I would have had enough income to support myself without having a full-time job, so I could have spent a lot of time in the parks. And since two of my jobs would have been work from home, I technically could do them anywhere there's wifi. Meaning I would have been on a bench in the Magic Kingdom, or riding TTA over and over again.

If you can find an income stream (or multiple) that you can get by remote, it's not that difficult to keep up a side opportunity as any kind of blogger and work hard enough at it to earn a profit (be that cash or swag.) I was about to be an "O-Town Lifestyle Blogger" and needed no help from my parents. (I put myself through grad school in one of the most expensive cities in the world, I can certain hustle hard enough to afford rent in Orlando an an AP.)

Just because you did things without help doesn't mean that is the case with the VAST majority of the Lifestyler crowd.

Most have no other income streams (meaning REAL jobs) beyond what they can leech off of Disney. And they aren't doing any work at WDW beyond feeding their OCD compulsions.

Wonder what Walt would have thought about that phenomenon.

DizFiz

Really... two days of announcements... I highly doubt Disney has two days worth of announcements just milking it out for all its worth.

Captain Chaos

God, the Snow White Coaster, again? Haven't we heard enough about that thing? Seems like it's been the headliner of every press event for the past three or four years.
That is what happens when you have nothing else to talk about... You milk the same boring news until the utters run dry.. Sadly, these utters have been dry for a while.. '74 NO FANBOI JOKES WITH THAT STATEMENT!!!!

WDW1974

I can backstab. I don't know if I could turn off the my personality for long enough to blow pixie dust up arses several times a day.

I couldn't stomach it. And that was before the bloggers really became a big factor.

Last WDW event I was invited to was in 2005 and I declined. Last DLR invite was in 2004 and I went. I also worked a non-Disney event in Anaheim in 2006 and was going to the DCA TSMM opening in 2008 as media before I got an amazing offer to work in China and had to decline.

I have decided the only way I ever attend another Disney event is as a VIP, not media. I was invited by a friend on a VIP deal for the WoC premiere in 2010, but an extortionist got in the way (seriously!) so I wasn't able to attend.

luv

I was invited by a friend on a VIP deal for the WoC premiere in 2010, but an extortionist got in the way (seriously!) so I wasn't able to attend.
This thread has turned out to be very educational, as well as amusing. Lifestylers, extortionists, lol. It's almost like a Disney novel. Some day, I would love to hear the tale of the extortionist, lol.

I, myself, could not be in the parks every day. Even if you toss in Uni, the Sea World parks and Gatorland. Enough is enough after a while. But I do like theme parks! :) I have nothing against the Lifestylers. If they can stand it every day and they get free stuff out of Disney, I wish them well and hope they don't get too bruised up from all the backstabbing. ;) :)

articos

This type of event should rightfully be termed more a tweetup hosted by Disney or a marketing event, as opposed to a press event, but they know press event makes it sound more legit. The company has 2 different marketing strategies - one for the blogosphere, and one for legit press.

PhotoDave219

I'm afraid to ask for fear I might be one, but what is an O-Town lifestyler? If it means getting free crap out of Disney, I know I don't fall into the category!

Please say it requires more than living in Orlando and liking the parks.

No, sadly you are not one who takes to twitter to show off what your doing with self-obsessed postings....

PhotoDave219

The problem is there is only so much room on the Disney gravy train and that's why the Lifestylers are backstabbing parasites. They, not all but most, hate each other. Disney has pruned the ranks of who they'll have at most events of late. Something like this, though, REAL media won't have much interest in. There is NOTHING at WDW to pimp.

I can tell you that the editors I work with would have zero interest in it. Hell, I have zero interest in it.

The Empress Lilly

Just because you did things without help doesn't mean that is the case with the VAST majority of the Lifestyler crowd.

Most have no other income streams (meaning REAL jobs) beyond what they can leech off of Disney. And they aren't doing any work at WDW beyond feeding their OCD compulsions.

Wonder what Walt would have thought about that phenomenon.
Walt? What Walt thought about deriving an income from TWDC and moving as close to the park as possible so one can hang out in it every day? Well...
paranoid.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom