'Villains Unleashed' hard ticketed event coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios in August

Matt_Black

No, no, no. Roaming characters popping in and out of various locations was one of this event's highlights. One of WDW's biggest fails is the fact that almost everything must be a highly structured event with a dedicated queue. Let the characters roam!!! Disneyland does it and it's wonderful.

As people have noted elsewhere, Disneyland also has a much different clientele in general.

Sped2424

This event proves there is a market for a bit of a more mature halloween event from disney that doesn't involve trick or treating. I honestly say let the villains come back next year but in full force, buff up the oogie show with more effects, add more characters, and make more shows/event specific things to do. This could really be a gem over here.

CaptainShortty

I was waiting for your review. Seems like the biggest complaints were about the meet and greets.

And I agree, not letting people lined up for three hours is probably the solution. And having more than one character there to me.

The problem with that philosophy is that people WILL queue themselves up for things even if there isn't a designated place to line up. It's happened with things before and it will happen again if the opportunity presents itself. It then, becomes more chaotic because people block emergency exits, pathways, etc. and don't realize that they're in the way.

Additionally, if you have multiple characters in one "line" (a la Princess Fairytale Hall style), you will get people in line that are there to meet either of the characters in line and possibly not really want to meet both. With the added demand (Demand for 2 characters over 1), the lines will almost definitely have to be cut even sooner than they were last night.

SirLink

Thinking about it now, I'm surprised there were no Villain character meals during the event. Would have been an easy way to make extra $$ from guests and allow easier access to some characters.

A friend said it best who was in Orlando at the party that you should of paid for the party tickets and allowed an upcharge for one of the table service restaturants. His example was:
  • Contantine(Mama Melrose)
  • Star Wars(Sci-Fi)
  • Villains from Walt Disney Florida Feature Animation(Mulan/Lilo & Stich)(Hollywood & Vine)

FerretAfros

No, no, no. Roaming characters popping in and out of various locations was one of this event's highlights. One of WDW's biggest fails is the fact that almost everything must be a highly structured event with a dedicated queue. Let the characters roam!!! Disneyland does it and it's wonderful.
DL does it, but it's becoming increasingly rare. In the past ~8 years I've only ever seen Snow's Queen, Peter & Wendy, and Alice & Mad Hatter roaming without an attendant, and only once or twice for each. They have a lot of outdoor M&Gs that appear to be spontaneous (like the various characters in Town Square), but they tend to stay in one location and have a queue

The Tokyo parks still manage to have roaming characters, and it's a lot of fun to see them. They tend to put about 5-10 in an area (we stumbled upon all 7 Dwarfs next to Dumbo, for example) and let them all do their own thing. It works there because the crowds are so well behaved that there's no pushing and shoving, and the characters themselves don't get abused. A character attendant even came up to make sure we knew that there was no line, since apparently we were being too polite for not squeezing in with the kids

Overall, I think that the biggest failure of an event like this (and to a greater extent, the direction that WDW's been taking the last ~5 years) is putting way too much emphasis on ultra-low capacity M&Gs. Disney used to be all about creating new and unique systems to get tons of guests through an experience efficiently; now the focus seems have turned to these low-capacity interactions, and it only gets increasingly fueled by social media

NowInc

A few added notes that I have had some sleep...

From my own eyes and experience, merch WAS sold out before midnight. I got there before 11:30 (which is when I set up for fireworks), and the only thing left were pins. Shortly after I bought mine, they were completely out of everything. Earlier in the night, when asking a CM how long the wait to buy things was, she told me "at least 2 hours". So it was bedlam at points.

The meet and greet lines got less closer to fireworks time. You could knock a good 3 of them out in less than an hour after 11:30 (source: My girlfriend who did exactly that, as she didn't want to sit around while I stood staring at a blank sky waiting for 12:45)

Food/Drink lines were nuts. Easiest to get your drinks near backlot tour. More bartenders = faster moving lines. Average wait time to get a drink was about 20 minutes. Drinks were weak, and overpriced...as expected. The Apple ice cubes were neat at least.

The Pre-Que problem could easily be solved by doing a HARD CLOSE at 7 and a reopen at 9. Letting people hang around in the parks (and thus in lines) in that hour between "close" and event is a huge part of what created the problem. Stores and restaurants also remained open during that hour, which created a lot of lingering as well. The amount of VERY vocal complaints I heard at 8 at the Animation Courtyard regarding Maleficent being at capacity at 8 (event official start time) was proof positive that the system of keeping the park "open" during the switch over is flawed. These capacity issues was a big chunk of what were raising requests for refunds (a lot of which were granted), the other chunk was from the nature of the Oogie Boogie show.

Time for me to get on a few bad sides here:

There were FAR too many children at this event who were, in my opinion, way too young to be around a lot of what was going on. Alcohol (weak or not, its there), lots of people, lots of villains, and obvious draw for ADULT locals, etc...not something you should be wheeling your 3 year old around at close to midnight. Crying children at every corner, upset parents wondering how Disney could let their kids be exposed to the horrors of the Oogie Boogie show (which DID have a warning attached, just not on the map), strollers barreling through hordes of dancing attendees without concern of injury to others....all of that contributed to some of the unpleasantness of the event..at least for me.

I stated it earlier but I should elaborate a tad...but to those who said how DHS with its lack of rides couldn't support something like this, I remind you that the rides were mostly walk ons the entire event. The problem isn't with "things to do", its size. WAY better than last years Friday the 13th fiasco which was limited to half the park, but still needs more breathing room. They spent a LOT of money on this event, and a bit more could have been used to use some of the less common areas for things, such as the lot next to Rock n Roller coaster or the now closed AFI area.

It seems like I am complaining a lot, and I'm really not. The positives FAR outweighed the negatives on this event for me. I said earlier how much I enjoyed the roaming characters, and would LOVE that aspect to be an every day thing. It went over REALLY REALLY well with the majority of the people, and didn't require waiting an hour to do. The "dance parties" were easily avoidable if those aren't your thing, unlike last year where you were really forced to be near them. The character selection was fantastic, had a bit for every type of fan, and not a single meet and greet went un-loved.

I do hope they do this again, but unless they fix a LOT of the bigger issues, I shall not be attending.

MKCP 1985

I was in the 10:30 Oogie Boogie show and didn't really know what to expect. My adult daughter commented on the warnings posted that some show elements might be too intense for young children - still didn't know what to expect. "Uncomfortable" would be the word to sum up the feeling about the show for a Disney Villain event. I saw a few people get up and leave midway through the show - who knows why? The applause was not very enthusiastic for the performers who deserved every accolade for what they did. But the show was not an easy fit for a Disney park.

NowInc

I really can't see an issue with it. There is nothing in there that isn't on primetime TV, like the Talent shows and Dancing with the Stars.

I completely agree. Some people were just overly frustrated and I think used this as a topper on all their other refund demands. I DID see a lot of people get up and walk out...all of them had kids..which only just secures my opinions that the nature of the show should have been better stated. Harder to complain when there are warnings on a map.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I completely agree. Some people were just overly frustrated and I think used this as a topper on all their other refund demands. I DID see a lot of people get up and walk out...all of them had kids..which only just secures my opinions that the nature of the show should have been better stated. Harder to complain when there are warnings on a map.
Great lighting and staging for a one-off show as well.

wannabeBelle

Two points on the map thing, some people have said they didn't get one however that doesn't exclude the signs outside the venue. Also people don't pay much attention unfortunately. This is reminding me of
Pleasure Island after it was un-gated. Many parents were complaining that they didn't like walking through an area with nightclubs and people drinking. This was not meant as an all ages area!!! Not every attraction is meant for everyone but so many people just don't get that!! Marie

PhotoDave219

I really can't see an issue with it. There is nothing in there that isn't on primetime TV, like the Talent shows and Dancing with the Stars.

This event was not aimed at children. This event was not marketed to children.

Instead, we have adult events and adult beverages aimed at actual adults coming to enjoy themselves.

I'm 100% fine with anything Disney does thats edgy or pushes the envelope of what they normally do.

Its a refreshing change.

Whomever greenlit that idea? PUT THEM IN CHARGE.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom