'Villains Unleashed' hard ticketed event coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios in August

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Lots of kvetching... my take on it is people whining that they spent all night standing in line and didnt get to see all 50 characters.

I'm fine with them complaining.
Nothing to do with queuing (though it is mentioned)

Mainly the piddle-poor planning and organisation of the whole event. Again. A few from websites I wouldn't expect to hear such things from too.

When experienced and informed organisations start shouting you know something is wrong as opposed to a normal hasn't-a-clue day guest.

crazydudex

I'll say that the Oogie Boogie show felt very "meh" to me. The kind of acts they had are good for cruise ship entertainment, but not suited for the parks. And to brand the show with Oogie Boogie but basically have the show have nothing to do with him? errrrr... I dunno. Not even a fan of Nightmare Before Christmas, but an original show of some sort with a few elements from NBC would have been a better choice.

Not to say that the acts themselves weren't talented in their own right - they just don't belong in the parks.

PhotoDave219

Nothing to do with queuing (though it is mentioned)

Mainly the piddle-poor planning and organisation of the whole event. Again. A few from websites I wouldn't expect to hear such things from too.

When experienced and informed organisations start shouting you know something is wrong as opposed to a normal hasn't-a-clue day guest.

I saw so much complaining, I stopped listening.

I wasn't there so I can't give much insight as to how it was planned, organized, etc. Looks like the event needs to be spread out even more. Someone suggested having three characters at every meet. Someone suggested not selling event merch until the event actually starts. Overall, it seemed like demand once again outweighed supply.

I'm sure there are better organizational methods & ideas to run their operation more smoothly. I wasn't there for this although the only think I wished I had saw was the Oggie Boogie show. @NowInc made a fantastic frame from the show. Though I wont pay $80 for that. No way.

PhotoDave219

I'll say that the Oogie Boogie show felt very "meh" to me. The kind of acts they had are good for cruise ship entertainment, but not suited for the parks. And to brand the show with Oogie Boogie but basically have the show have nothing to do with him? errrrr... I dunno. Not even a fan of Nightmare Before Christmas, but an original show of some sort with a few elements from NBC would have been a better choice.

Not to say that the acts themselves weren't talented in their own right - they just don't belong in the parks.

Its a hard ticket event; its not "In the Parks."

PhotoDave219

And that's why its a controlled access event. To match supply to demand. And vice versa.

In theory anyway.

Ten years ago, yes.

Today? Cash grab.

From the people I know who went there and the random guests Ive talked to, its about a 50/50 spilt as to whether they thought it was a good time. (Actually talking in person.)

From online? Well, lots of kvetching. Some from people who actually went. Some from people in Philadelphia starting fake cosplay rumors.

I'd like to think they can do this again.... but who knows.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Oh I'm sure they will do it again.

I was lucky to be in town last year for the 13th doo.

We got into the park mid afternoon. Good job. After 5pm you'd just be sat on World Drive if you were lucky. Or Osceola or BVD if you weren't.

Great fireworks. Good stage show. If you could see it.

I didn't want to meet anything. Good job.

I filled a coke bottle at a water fountain since where was actually selling something to drink had either sold out or had huge lines.

Also good job we didn't want to eat.

People were getting physically hurt at the unbelievable chaos of T Shirt sales. Only to be told they had sold out. At 6pm.

Sounds familiar...

crazydudex

Its a hard ticket event; its not "In the Parks."

Hard-ticketed events still take place in a Disney theme park - that's what I'm saying. Having a sword swallower, firebreather, and archery act at a Villain themed event doesn't make much sense to me, and it's not something you would see as a typical stage show. Heck, even the GOTG dance party didn't really make sense considering that no villains appeared there.

PhotoDave219

Hard-ticketed events still take place in a Disney theme park - that's what I'm saying. Having a sword swallower, firebreather, and archery act at a Villain themed event doesn't make much sense to me, and it's not something you would see as a typical stage show. Heck, even the GOTG dance party didn't really make sense considering that no villains appeared there.

Okay. Split all the hairs you want. This act isn't "in the parks" rather its part of a special event. Likely you'll never see it again.... unless you go to @wdwmagic's youtube page.

This event was promoted, the carnival stage show was promoted and if you didnt pay attention to any of it? Thats your problem.

PhotoDave219

We got into the park mid afternoon. Good job. After 5pm you'd just be sat on World Drive if you were lucky. Or Osceola or BVD if you weren't.

I filled a coke bottle at a water fountain since where was actually selling something to drink had either sold out or had huge lines.

People were getting physically hurt at the unbelievable chaos of T Shirt sales. Only to be told they had sold out. At 6pm.

Sounds familiar...

Yeah, I was in that same mess on Friday the 13th too. I expected the absolute crap fest that ensued and it was even worse then that.

This hard ticket event doesnt seem as bad as that.

Stevek

Disney has forked out all this money on a FP+/MM+ system...is there an opportunity to utilize them at these events? I would think that Disney could estimate how many people they could fit in a meet/greet and a merchandise line and give people a reservation time. Obviously could be challenging as you may not meet the character you want but would definitely even up the lines across the park.

And as for people buying up a ton and putting on ebay...does Disney not limit the amount each person can purchase i.e. 5 shirts, etc? Who am I kidding, If people want to stand in 3 hour lines to buy 50 t-shirts, Disney ain't gonna stop them.

NowInc

Disney has forked out all this money on a FP+/MM+ system...is there an opportunity to utilize them at these events? I would think that Disney could estimate how many people they could fit in a meet/greet and a merchandise line and give people a reservation time. Obviously could be challenging as you may not meet the character you want but would definitely even up the lines across the park.

And as for people buying up a ton and putting on ebay...does Disney not limit the amount each person can purchase i.e. 5 shirts, etc? Who am I kidding, If people want to stand in 3 hour lines to buy 50 t-shirts, Disney ain't gonna stop them.

Merch sales were limited...per person. However, that doesn't stop say a "family" of 4 doing separate transactions. The Ebay sellers got on this one fast (hording park maps, especially), and I was actually shocked the pins didn't sell out faster.

asianway

Sounds familiar...
If the umpteenth dessert party is worth $99, a controlled exclusive(under 2000) event like this is worth $500.

Edit, $170 when you tack on the HP ticket

coolbeans14

So that oogie boogie show looked great, and it sounds like they could pull off an adults Halloween event, but honestly it does sound like they need a hard "over 16 only" rule for this kind of thing, just to avoid complaining parents. It also says to me that disney could try and rival Halloween horror nights (is HHN an acronym on here, I can never keep up)

Overall, sounds like if a little better organised this would be a very successful event

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom