News Villains Land Announced for Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
What was it supposed to be?
One of them was this:
1726251322743.png

But I'm not sure if that's what they're talking about or not.

LSLS

Honestly I think 8-10 is fine. A lot of starwars and radiator springs is rock work. Also a lot of starwars land is walking paths with space for a third attraction that never came
I don't know, that's about the size of Avatar, which I think could definitely use more space. Obviously we have no designs yet so it's just for the sake of discussion (I'm not saying they blew it or anything), but I am surprised if it ends up only 8.

gorillaball

I don't know, that's about the size of Avatar, which I think could definitely use more space. Obviously we have no designs yet so it's just for the sake of discussion (I'm not saying they blew it or anything), but I am surprised if it ends up only 8.
Avatar has more space. The basic infrastructure for the entire land are already in place, just need the $ of a ride, but I digress.
1726255982026.png

splah

Call me crazy but my dream Villains attraction would be an old-school bus bar "laff in the dark" with swing doors and UV painted flats. It could have all the modern trimmings but the look should be distinctly classic. Actually, I think the entire land should more closely resemble ye olde Fantasyland in character. It just feels right. And would be of great contrast from EPIC 's offerings. Disney needs to be Disney here. The intimacy of those older attractions can't be matched.
the scale of a bus bar attraction would be perfect and would enhance the emotions of a villainous ride. everything being closer, ups the stakes. look at snow white's first iterations. the cavernous show rooms these days lose out on the human scale. with an enclosed, compact bus bar, you feel like you don't know what's around the next corner. for that matter they need a dark ride that lets the scenes simmer and build with a slow burn build up. build the tension and release instead of frenetic energy the whole time.

regarding the ride before the ride, i don't have a problem with the theory of the experience, but they haven't been executed properly yet. rise is more successful than guardians, but they both suffer from hyping up the audience and energy only to be have the energy fall back down. it's a bunch of hurry up and wait. if they could sustain or manage the energy better throughout the experience it would be more successful. the stretching room works because it is foreboding, it's slow. when you exit the chamber you're unsure. if you were exploring an old house you'd walk slowly which you end up doing because the line continues. there is too much space between the star ship and the load for guardians. by the time i get to the load i've forgotten we're supposed to be in a hurry.

DisneyHead123

for that matter they need a dark ride that lets the scenes simmer and build with a slow burn build up. build the tension and release instead of frenetic energy the whole time.

I agree but I also think this approach requires way more animatronics than Disney is willing to invest in. Even in Tokyo, they don’t do scenes just full of animatronics anymore. Imagine the spooky, tense beginning of Pirates, and then…. you enter a room with Frozen level animatronics. Jack Sparrow hiding in a barrel as two townspeople look for him, in an otherwise fairly empty scene. The payoff just isn’t there. I think the “madcap kinetic energy” of the newer rides is a way to replace the feeling of a lot happening visually with a lot happening proprioceptively.

It strikes me as strange because typically the trend is for technology to become less expensive and easier to incorporate over the years. Not sure why animatronics are an exception to that general rule but it seems like they’ve never gotten less expensive in terms of maintenance.

RSoxNo1

regarding the ride before the ride, i don't have a problem with the theory of the experience, but they haven't been executed properly yet. rise is more successful than guardians, but they both suffer from hyping up the audience and energy only to be have the energy fall back down. it's a bunch of hurry up and wait. if they could sustain or manage the energy better throughout the experience it would be more successful. the stretching room works because it is foreboding, it's slow. when you exit the chamber you're unsure. if you were exploring an old house you'd walk slowly which you end up doing because the line continues. there is too much space between the star ship and the load for guardians. by the time i get to the load i've forgotten we're supposed to be in a hurry.
I understand what you're saying on Guardians, but I disagree on Rise.

On Guardians, the biggest issue is the load area. There simply isn't enough going on in that space to sustain the sense of urgency.

On Rise, the flow is handled quite well. There can be a bit of a lull as you wait to go into the interrogation room, but the mood is absolutely ominous from the second you step off the ship. I don't think that lull is any different than funneling into your Doom Buggies out of the stretch room or the boiler room in Tower. The only difference is it's more sterile (by design).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom