Rumor Version of MaxPass coming to WDW in May?

Kman101

Nothing more except I still anticipate more to talk about before the end of this year.

I feel like this is going to end up being overly complicated. I also don't think the parks have enough attractions or capacity to offer any sort of paid pass (unlimited truly seems like a stretch, but I guess it depends on pricing) as well as free. Why do I feel like this is a mess waiting to happen?

Of course I hope I'm wrong!

nickys

Premium Member
I feel like this is going to end up being overly complicated. I also don't think the parks have enough attractions or capacity to offer any sort of paid pass (unlimited truly seems like a stretch, but I guess it depends on pricing) as well as free. Why do I feel like this is a mess waiting to happen?

They’ll just cut the number of free FPs released for booking. 😕

I think though there are so many possible options, that without knowing anything about what their thinking is, it’s really hard to even speculate as to what it’ll look like.

The DLP system is pretty simple though. But very pricey for the unlimited option. I quite like the idea of one FP for a select group of rides. Could be easy to load onto MDE, and the FP gets deleted as you ride. It could even be valid over several days.

Kman101

They’ll just cut the number of free FPs released for booking. 😕

I think though there are so many possible options, that without knowing anything about what their thinking is, it’s really hard to even speculate as to what it’ll look like.

The DLP system is pretty simple though. But very pricey for the unlimited option. I quite like the idea of one FP for a select group of rides. Could be easy to load onto MDE, and the FP gets deleted as you ride. It could even be valid over several days.

It is hard to speculate. I agree they'll just cut the number of free FPs.

I like the Shanghai method, personally (they have groupings, single passes). But I think DLR does it best with day of only, no booking six months ahead of time. That's ludicrous and only beneficial to Disney (just like dining reservations). They paint it as a tool to make it easier for you but it really is for them and being able to 'predict' how busy it will be/staffing/etc. .... we shouldn't even have an option to book so many months in advance.

I wasn't very aware of the Paris method, few seem to talk about it. I'll have to try and research it, I wasn't even really aware they had a paid version, actually ...

I wouldn't mind a mix of DLR/Shanghai.

NoChesterHester

I think much like the new ticketing, this will only be complicated if one is trying to analyze all options. For the typical guest going on a vacation on “x” date it should appear pretty simple. There may be options, but they will just appear as upgrades.

Kman101

I think much like the new ticketing, this will only be complicated if one is trying to analyze all options. For the typical guest going on a vacation on “x” date it should appear pretty simple. There may be options, but they will just appear as upgrades.

Without really knowing what to expect it's hard to speculate. I just think they sometimes overcomplicate things that should be as simple as going to the park, day of, and selecting fast passes (and I don't hate the booking on the phone part like some do who hate how much was spent on all of this). A part of me does like booking a month ahead of time, but I wish they'd do away with it. I know why they don't, and won't, though.

I'd love more options and I'm open to paying, but it depends. I would definitely take advantage of the options Shanghai has should I ever get there (and I will, someday)

NoChesterHester

Without really knowing what to expect it's hard to speculate. I just think they sometimes overcomplicate things that should be as simple as going to the park, day of, and selecting fast passes (and I don't hate the booking on the phone part like some do who hate how much was spent on all of this). A part of me does like booking a month ahead of time, but I wish they'd do away with it. I know why they don't, and won't, though.

I'd love more options and I'm open to paying, but it depends. I would definitely take advantage of the options Shanghai has should I ever get there (and I will, someday)

If they do a pay version, I would want them to eliminate free fastpasses for the same attractions. We only go once every couple years so if it ends up being an upcharge it needs to be worth it. I’d also want less overall capacity devoted to fastpass.

nickys

Premium Member
It is hard to speculate. I agree they'll just cut the number of free FPs.

I like the Shanghai method, personally (they have groupings, single passes). But I think DLR does it best with day of only, no booking six months ahead of time. That's ludicrous and only beneficial to Disney (just like dining reservations). They paint it as a tool to make it easier for you but it really is for them and being able to 'predict' how busy it will be/staffing/etc. .... we shouldn't even have an option to book so many months in advance.

I wasn't very aware of the Paris method, few seem to talk about it. I'll have to try and research it, I wasn't even really aware they had a paid version, actually ...

I wouldn't mind a mix of DLR/Shanghai.

See, I don’t like the day of FPs. It benefits the early risers and penalises those who like a more relaxed style of vacation. And also the charge per day thing, which penalises those staying longer and is counter-intuitive. I don’t mind doing a bit of planning and booking the most important (to us) FPs ahead of time. That way we can roll up at 11am knowing we can still ride the popular rides.

Here’s the DLP paid fastpass options page, you can also do it the old way from WDW (free, one at a time in park):

Kman101

See, I don’t like the day of FPs. It benefits the early risers and penalises those who like a more relaxed style of vacation. And also the charge per day thing, which penalises those staying longer and is counter-intuitive. I don’t mind doing a bit of planning and booking the most important (to us) FPs ahead of time. That way we can roll up at 11am knowing we can still ride the popular rides.

Here’s the DLP paid fastpass options page, you can also do it the old way from WDW (free, one at a time in park):

I hear ya on the booking ahead of time. A part of me really likes the option, but I also dislike it. LOL. I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite on that. As someone who randomly decides when I go, I can often still snag most of the FPs I want day of or the day/week of (depends, of course - busier times I see an instant difference in availability - and some just aren't an option, like Slinky, 7DMT and Flight of Passage). But it's kind of the same thing, you have to basically be up at the crack of dawn to book your FPs months in advance. If I hit the app when I can book a FP 30 days out, I have to get up early (and some OK options last throughout the day/week/months). It's no different than same day when you have to get to the park early. I actually think it'd improve the availability, but I have no data or proof. Maybe wishful thinking? lol

Thank you for the link! I'll go check it out.

nickys

Premium Member
I hear ya on the booking ahead of time. A part of me really likes the option, but I also dislike it. LOL. I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite on that. As someone who randomly decides when I go, I can often still snag most of the FPs I want day of or the day/week of (depends, of course - busier times I see an instant difference in availability - and some just aren't an option, like Slinky, 7DMT and Flight of Passage). But it's kind of the same thing, you have to basically be up at the crack of dawn to book your FPs months in advance. If I hit the app when I can book a FP 30 days out, I have to get up early (and some OK options last throughout the day/week/months). It's no different than same day when you have to get to the park early. I actually think it'd improve the availability, but I have no data or proof. Maybe wishful thinking? lol

Ah I have the advantage there, being 5 hours ahead. Although that does put it in the middle of a school day, so I can’t be right on the dot. But because we stay for 10 days or more, it doesn’t really matter. Except for the new split stays thing .... But then when I’m on holiday I want to be relaxing. I don’t really care about a couple of days two months ahead!

Sarah1024

No - it's much different. I can book FP's 60 or 30 days out very early from the comfort of my bed. If I had to do this same day at the park and drag my entire family with me, it would be a nightmare. I would VERY much dislike this.

Kman101

No - it's much different. I can book FP's 60 or 30 days out very early from the comfort of my bed. If I had to do this same day at the park and drag my entire family with me, it would be a nightmare. I would VERY much dislike this.

Well, you wouldn't have to be IN the park to do it. But I guess it'd have to be done that way. I wasn't thinking about that ... LOL

Lensman

One thing that I haven't seen discussed is whether TDO will take into account how the new system will affect customers who don't purchase the paid packages. If their experience is significantly degraded, TDO could see a loss of customer demand from that segment, and as a result see an erosion of their ability to increase pricing to that segment.

nickys

Premium Member
One thing that I haven't seen discussed is whether TDO will take into account how the new system will affect customers who don't purchase the paid packages. If their experience is significantly degraded, TDO could see a loss of customer demand from that segment, and as a result see an erosion of their ability to increase pricing to that segment.

Schemes like this surely rely on only a small proportion of guests actually buying it though. Of course they want to be successful at up-selling FPs, like everything else, but availability will or should be limited. The CL programme has trialled it out, this new scheme “just” increases the numbers somewhat. They’re not increasing the number of FPs, they’re pulling some of them to sell for $$$.

In the actual parks, there shouldn’t be any noticeable effect though. The numbers with FPs won’t increase. Where it will have an impact is in booking FPs. Even fewer people will manage to get free ones for the likes of FoP, Slinky etc, but really that’s no different to now. Plenty of people fail to get those ones because they’re only staying onsite for a short time or staying offsite.

So to my mind, where this will hit is people like us, those on this site and others, who know that you can get an FP for Slinky or FoP from day 3 of your trip pretty easily. When this comes in, the paid FPs may mean this is pushed out to day 4 (for free ones).

I suspect the lack of total outrage over this rumour is that because of the CL trial programme, people knew that something similar would be coming eventually. The timing of it makes perfect sense too, with SW:GE. But as with everything, until we know more about the options on the table, it’s hard to determine the likely effect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom