Rumor Version of MaxPass coming to WDW in May?

eddie104

Any chance we can avoid rehashing the impact of FP on standby in here? There is an interesting discussion to be had regarding Disney's new (potential) policies. We don't need to get it bogged down.
I agree too many crashing opinions on the benefits or cons to the current process is causing the discussion to go around in circles.

Lensman

They should just raise prices (more), period. Rather than sell a $20 upcharge to half of the people, just raise prices another $10 for all of the people.
I'm torn between this sentiment and my worry that the fact that I think price increases wouldn't be equally distributed. For example, I think the price increases for FP+ benefits fall disproportionately on folks staying at deluxe resorts vs value - though moderate has also paid a pretty price as well. It's like the parking fee, another money grab which - though felt more at the Values, are higher in straight dollar terms at the Deluxes. I mean really, is a parking space at the WL really twice as valuable as one at AoA?

So would a $20 per person per day upcharge for a paid FP package bother me? Yes, but not as much as a $10 per day ticket price increase plus $60 per room per day increase at AoA or $120 per room per day increase at WL.

Another take is my dislike of the paid FastPasses available to Club Level rooms. I wouldn't mind them so much except I don't want to pay for a Club Level room in order to buy them. I'd rather see the benefit unbundled since I think the benefits of Club Level aren't worth the money.

Last edited:

Sarah1024

I'm torn between this sentiment and my worry that the fact that I think price increases wouldn't be equally distributed. For example, I think the price increases for FP+ benefits fall disproportionately on folks staying at deluxe resorts vs value - though moderate has also paid a pretty price as well. It's like the parking fee, another money grab which - though felt more at the Values, are higher in straight dollar terms at the Deluxes. I mean really, is a parking space at the WL really twice as valuable as one at AoA?

So would a $20 per person per day upcharge for a paid FP package bother me? Yes, but not as much as a $10 per day ticket price increase plus $60 per room per day increase at AoA or $120 per room per day increase at WL.

Another take is my dislike of the paid FastPasses available to Club Level rooms. I wouldn't mind them so much except I don't want to pay for a Club Level room in order to buy them. I'd rather see the benefit unbundled since I think the benefits of Club Level aren't worth the money.
That's the point though....to fill the CL rooms and not have too many people take advantage of that benefit.

aliceismad

Will there be a paid FP for SWGE as a test though?
SWGE would be way too late to test. Seems like they would want something through testing and rolling out for SWGE opening. Cash cow and all.

Not gonna lie, depending on the rides and price, I’d pay for it. Especially if I were going during a hot time when standing in line is more unpleasant. BUT I go to Disney infrequently so the extra few hundred dollars really is a drop in the bucket. I’d certainly give up a pricey meal (which I can get elsewhere) to get FP for rides that I cannot see elsewhere.

seascape

SWGE would be way too late to test. Seems like they would want something through testing and rolling out for SWGE opening. Cash cow and all.

Not gonna lie, depending on the rides and price, I’d pay for it. Especially if I were going during a hot time when standing in line is more unpleasant. BUT I go to Disney infrequently so the extra few hundred dollars really is a drop in the bucket. I’d certainly give up a pricey meal (which I can get elsewhere) to get FP for rides that I cannot see elsewhere.
I think the reservation system in place for Disneyland is a test.

Allyp

In the Parks
Yes
It seems like what everyone is debating is how to gracefully merge the old Fastpass system (spontaneity) with Fastpass+ (reservation based). In conversations I had with my husband around this, I feel that they should dedicate a number of Fastpasses for an attraction for day and reserve it of ONLY when you enter that park, like MaxPass does. I feel like gives the feeling of the "run and get your Fastpass" feeling of yesteryear and gives those who are dedicated to getting into that E ticket attraction a fair shot of getting a Fastpass. It would be like getting into DAK at 8am and snagging a Fastpass for your family at FoP at 12pm or whatever happens to be the next available time slot.

Having a paid system to allow those to purchase more "harder to get" Fastpass seems like it doesn't solve the overall problem in IMO. It just makes people more frustrated that if you missed out to get a Free Fastpass, the only way to get one is to pay for it. Of course you can still go standby, but as we've all seen, a standby line that doesn't appear to move, makes for cranky guests.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
You're not making sense. You still have a finite amount of people. FastPass takes people out of the standby line. There are less people in the line. At the same time, the number of people in the park has increased. For example, Space mountain wait times decreased by an average of 11 minutes in the year leading up to FPP and the first year of operating. Feel free to do the research, the data is out there.

The thing is you're going off of your subjective feelings and selective memory, whereas there exists actual wait time data that shows that FPP did not increase standby wait times on average. That's just a fact, not my opinion.
That's only valid if the data hasn't been cooked to support a particular conclusion...

Disone

What you're describing has absolutely nothing to do with FastPass. If FastPass had never ever existed, lines would still be shorter towards park closing because there's simply fewer people in them.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that a ride uses exactly 50% of it's capacity for FastPass and 50% for standby and it's a busy ride that never runs empty vehicles. If you were to eliminate FP entirely, you're correct that the line would move twice as fast. But there would also be twice as many people in the line in the first place, so wait time is unchanged.
Hey, just for the record I get what you're saying. I'm not talking about the length of the line in relative to what time of the day it is. I'm talking about how many people are taken out of that line every minute. I'm speaking to the speed in which the line is processed. The line is processed faster when it does not have to be split with Fastpass. This is an undisputable fact. The standby line moves faster when it's not competing with a FastPass virtual que. That's all I'm saying.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Testing is already happening.

I can’t say more.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Where did I make an accusation? I'm just stating a fact about data sets.
It appeared implied, and if you weren't implying anything I apologize. In any case there is a wealth of data available - all wait times from 2009 to present - at Touring Plans. I doubt they are cooking the books. Now if you're saying Disney is, then the conclusions from the dataset don't really indicate that. If Disney was cooking the books they would make (imo) it seem like most or all attractions stayed the same or went down with FPP. But the reality is some went down, some went up, some stayed the same. Particularly in parks with tiering, times went up more for lesser attractions (and down more for the tier 1 FPs..).

Sarah1024

It seems like what everyone is debating is how to gracefully merge the old Fastpass system (spontaneity) with Fastpass+ (reservation based). In conversations I had with my husband around this, I feel that they should dedicate a number of Fastpasses for an attraction for day and reserve it of ONLY when you enter that park, like MaxPass does. I feel like gives the feeling of the "run and get your Fastpass" feeling of yesteryear and gives those who are dedicated to getting into that E ticket attraction a fair shot of getting a Fastpass. It would be like getting into DAK at 8am and snagging a Fastpass for your family at FoP at 12pm or whatever happens to be the next available time slot.

Having a paid system to allow those to purchase more "harder to get" Fastpass seems like it doesn't solve the overall problem in IMO. It just makes people more frustrated that if you missed out to get a Free Fastpass, the only way to get one is to pay for it. Of course you can still go standby, but as we've all seen, a standby line that doesn't appear to move, makes for cranky guests.
WDW is not going to give up the FP+ system or the pre-scheduled FP's. The dream of WDW going to the Maxpass and being like DL is just that, a dream. They have been marketing the FP+ system and pre-planning more and more lately, so it isn't going anywhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom