Rumor Version of MaxPass coming to WDW in May?

Touchdown

On the flipside, people like me stopped going to Cedar Point becasue of their skip-the-line system. Standing in a slowly moving line while I watch someone that paid more than I did ride the ride 4 times is infuriating.

The only time I’ve used Fastlane at Cedar Point has been when it was free (for renewing a Season Pass.) As long as you get Early Entry (resort or Season Passholder) and stay the whole day you can have a great day at Cedar Point and hit the big rides at least once.

Kevin_W

Such is life. I go to Cedar Point a lot and love the skip-the-line system. I will gladly pay an extra $100 so I can ride more and be able to eat at Melt. I guess you won't be going to Disney then either.

I might not - I'll have to see what the system is and make that call. I can certainly see why people why can afford/choose to afford Fastlane like it. you undeniably have a better experience. But your better experience has a direct, negative impact on people who can't afford Fastlane or chose not to spend the money for it.

Cedar Fair has obviously made the determination that they don't care. There aren't enough people not willing to go (their attendance numbers are doing fine) due to it and they make a bunch of extra money off people willing to spend more for a better experience. Disney has already made some of the same calculations with shorter park hours and paid after-hours events. I just hope Disney draws the line short of where Cedar fair has.

milordsloth

I might not - I'll have to see what the system is and make that call. I can certainly see why people why can afford/choose to afford Fastlane like it. you undeniably have a better experience. But your better experience has a direct, negative impact on people who can't afford Fastlane or chose not to spend the money for it.

Cedar Fair has obviously made the determination that they don't care. There aren't enough people not willing to go (their attendance numbers are doing fine) due to it and they make a bunch of extra money off people willing to spend more for a better experience. Disney has already made some of the same calculations with shorter park hours and paid after-hours events. I just hope Disney draws the line short of where Cedar fair has.

I would imagine the significant upcharge for fastlane would have less impact on standby lines than the free fastpass+ or the cheap maxpass systems.

Jrb1979

Disney is all about making money. From what people are saying in that it might be like the Shanghai version, the price works out to be about $20 per attraction.

Kevin_W

I would imagine the significant upcharge for fastlane would have less impact on standby lines than the free fastpass+ or the cheap maxpass systems.

That hasn't been my experience with Fastlane. I don't know they quantity they sell, but it is a lot and there are no restrictions on the number of times it may be used. On a few rides where I was pretty familiar with the length of queue/time in line correlation it easily doubled my time in the standby line. (That said, FP+ probably triples the standby wait if the rations I've read on this site are correct. But the theory is that this is offset by the 3+ rides where your wait is shorter due to getting to use FP yourself.)

Touchdown

Cedar Point was perhaps the worst park to pick to argue about Fastlane, that park has 17 roller coasters, a huge collection of flat rides, half a dozen show venues and easily has double the midway space of other large regional parks. To put it in Disney terms it’s a park the size of Epcot with the ride density of Disneyland. I’ve been forced to buy Fastlane at Kings Island and Knotts in the past even though I go to those parks frequently (and thus have a higher threshold for paying for the thing as there is always next time,) and on parks further away in the chain that I might only go to once in a decade I’ve bought it and needed it, but I’ve never needed it at Cedar Point.

milordsloth

That hasn't been my experience with Fastlane. I don't know they quantity they sell, but it is a lot and there are no restrictions on the number of times it may be used. On a few rides where I was pretty familiar with the length of queue/time in line correlation it easily doubled my time in the standby line. (That said, FP+ probably triples the standby wait if the rations I've read on this site are correct. But the theory is that this is offset by the 3+ rides where your wait is shorter due to getting to use FP yourself.)

The only Cedar Fair park I've been to was Knott's and the day I went was empty so I didn't look into the Fastlane. Is it like Flashpass at Six Flags where they give you a return window based on current wait time? Or is it more like universal express unlimited where you can just skip any line any time?

Jrb1979

Cedar Point was perhaps the worst park to pick to argue about Fastlane, that park has 17 roller coasters, a huge collection of flat rides, half a dozen show venues and easily has double the midway space of other large regional parks. To put it in Disney terms it’s a park the size of Epcot with the ride density of Disneyland. I’ve been forced to buy Fastlane at Kings Island and Knotts in the past even though I go to those parks frequently (and thus have a higher threshold for paying for the thing as there is always next time,) and on parks further away in the chain that I might only go to once in a decade I’ve bought it and needed it, but I’ve never needed it at Cedar Point.
I disagree I almost always buy it at Cedar Point. I do go a few times a year but I want to ride attractions multiple times when I visit. I once did Dragster 12 times in 2 days with the use of Fastlane. I never go to a park to ride things once.

Touchdown

I disagree I almost always buy it at Cedar Point. I do go a few times a year but I want to ride attractions multiple times when I visit. I once did Dragster 12 times in 2 days with the use of Fastlane. I never go to a park to ride things once.

There is a reason I schedule a trip for a few weekdays in May. Don’t need Fastlane to do that then, my August trip is for the water park and catching shows, I can still power ride Raptor, Gatekeeper and Magnum and get multiple rides on Maverick and MF (I’m not a huge TTD fan, it’s too short and temperamental mechanically to be worth my time usually.) October is for Halloween, with some serious power riding on Sunday to cap off the season.

Jrb1979

There is a reason I schedule a trip for a few weekdays in May. Don’t need Fastlane to do that then, my August trip is for the water park and catching shows, I can still power ride Raptor, Gatekeeper and Magnum and get multiple rides on Maverick and MF (I’m not a huge TTD fan, it’s too short and temperamental mechanically to be worth my time usually.) October is for Halloween, with some serious power riding on Sunday to cap off the season.
Steel Vengeance is the best coaster at Cedar Point now and Fastlane is a must if you want multiple rides.

Ldno

“The Cash” not a 100 bucks per se hehe what is it like 400 bucks an hour or so? I even heard the people who live in the 2.5 million dollar resort homes get unlimited fast passes in WDW but that’s an ultimate perk of course

RSoxNo1

MaxPass is NOT people paying for FP, all you get is the ability to collect a FastPass return time, using your smart device. You still have the same restrictions on the return time that people who are not paying have, just less walking. Its also possible for all return times to get distributed and then despite "paying" for FP you can't get a return time.
I love MaxPass as an easier way to use FastPass and regular FastPass doesn't have the issues that FP+ have of booking in advance and the planning needed.
But it does favour those who arrive into a park earlier in the day, brand-new headline attractions do fully distribute all FPs in the morning, if you arrive after midday then it can be hard to get an FP for Radiator Springs Racers.

The paid for Premier Access gives you access to the ride anytime after you have paid for it, there are no time restrictions as in regular FP and FP+.
It's actually slightly better. If the FP is more than 2 hours out, MaxPass allows for a second FP after an hour and a half.

Jon81uk

It's actually slightly better. If the FP is more than 2 hours out, MaxPass allows for a second FP after an hour and a half.
Yes, MaxPass offers a lot of small benefits over using the FastPass "paper" machines, but overall it is broadly the same system of collecting return times.
It is very different to parks that offer a paid system where you either get instant access by paying (Universal Express pass etc) or a reduction of the standby wait time (FlashPass, Reserve & Ride or other systems using Q-Bot). I think Disney are the only park still using a system where you receive timeslots that are not related to the standby wait time.

Purduevian

I will throw out one benefit of FP+ over Maxpass. For a family that does not rope drop, but likes to get to the parks at like noon (yes those people exist), they are not at a disadvantage at WDW like they are at DLR. For instance if I was traveling with a sleep in family, I could book a 1pm Space, 2pm 7d, and 3pm Splash mountain for them. By noon at DLR, a Space Mountain FP would be well into the evening, and they would have to wait until 1:30 to even try for another one.

Maxpass is great for spontaneous Rope Droppers. FP+ is good for extreme planners. Only the paid systems help the spontaneous sleepers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom