Rumor Version of MaxPass coming to WDW in May?

JakeAZ

First post here.

I've been following this thread for some time now as I have a trip coming in the spring of 2020.

Has there been any updates? It seemed "hot and heavy" for awhile like something was really going to happen. But now it seems to have dried up.

pdude81

First post here.

I've been following this thread for some time now as I have a trip coming in the spring of 2020.

Has there been any updates? It seemed "hot and heavy" for awhile like something was really going to happen. But now it seems to have dried up.
The attendance kind of dried up also. Might be wise for them to reconsider any additional upcharges at this time.

aaronml

The site that shall not be named posted about how Shanghai Disneyland has eliminated complimentary FastPass, and is now only offering “Disney Premier Access” (paid FP) and “Standby Pass” (like the RotR Virtual Queue but with pre-determined return times).

I wouldn’t be surprised if when FP returns to WDW and/or DLR, it returns in a similar, more monetized version.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The site that shall not be named posted about how Shanghai Disneyland has eliminated complimentary FastPass, and is now only offering “Disney Premier Access” (paid FP) and “Standby Pass” (like the RotR Virtual Queue but with pre-determined return times).

I wouldn’t be surprised if when FP returns to WDW and/or DLR, it returns in a similar, more monetized version.
I wonder how much of a hassle it would be if they were to change all those Fastpass Return signs at every attraction...

Last edited:

Jrb1979

I personally would hope this happens. I go to many parks and paid fastpasses are much better IMO.

MurphyJoe

I'm wondering with how the Disney Genie is supposed to work and how the Premier access offering is monetized if the system in Orlando won't ultimately incorporate both. So there's a price for the premium "Princess Experience" or "Mountaineering Expedition" itineraries (as examples) and when you're scheduled to arrive at select attractions you enter the Genie line versus standby and get on quicker.

rle4lunch

Original Poster
I personally would hope this happens. I go to many parks and paid fastpasses are much better IMO.

We now use max pass every visit to DL. We usually get 8-10 fp in a day. Much better than walking endless miles in between fp+ reservations at wdw. Gives you much more freedom to explore the parks rather than being mandated in one park for an entire day. And you don't have to plan your vacation 1800 days out..

Jrb1979

We now use max pass every visit to DL. We usually get 8-10 fp in a day. Much better than walking endless miles in between fp+ reservations at wdw. Gives you much more freedom to explore the parks rather than being mandated in one park for an entire day. And you don't have to plan your vacation 1800 days out..
I wish more people would see that side of a paid system. So many Disney fans love planning out their spreadsheet for a vacation. It feels like many don't go to other parks to know how great a paid system is.

Haymarket2008

MaxPass is unbelievably fantastic. Instantly made Disneyland and the whole park going experience so much more enjoyable. Reminded me of how the parks used to operate. Significantly less stress and so much more impulsive.

disneygeek90

I'm all for moving FP+ to Maxpass. My only question would be what options would people have if they didn't purchase Maxpass? In DL you still have an option to walk to a kiosk and grab a ticket. Most if not all kiosks have been removed now. I suppose they could use the current kiosks around the parks that help with FP+ but there's not many of them.

I'd guess they would need to re-install more kiosks in front of certain attractions or lands.

aaronml

MaxPass is a far more tasteful approach to “paid FP” IMO.

I always use MaxPass when visiting DLR, and it works very well there.

The difference with MaxPass is that you are only paying for the ability to make FP selections on your phone. You are paying for the convenience of not having to run around the park to scan your ticket at the various paper FP machines.

What TWDC is doing at SHDL on the other hand is literally saying that the only way to get a shorter wait in line is to purchase an FP.

This creates yet another “upsell” in a park that is already very expensive. There seems to be no limit to Disney’s desire to “nickel and dime” folks.

It’s only a matter of time before the only way to get on a new E-ticket ride is via a paid FP, at which point we’ll be right back where we started with the old per-attraction-type ticket books, except with the base admission price being significantly higher

aaronml

I'm all for moving FP+ to Maxpass. My only question would be what options would people have if they didn't purchase Maxpass? In DL you still have an option to walk to a kiosk and grab a ticket. Most if not all kiosks have been removed now. I suppose they could use the current kiosks around the parks that help with FP+ but there's not many of them.

I'd guess they would need to re-install more kiosks in front of certain attractions or lands.
This is not TWDC moving WDW to MaxPass.

This is TWDC removing both MaxPass And FP+ in favor of only allowing paid FP, with everyone else being in either a standby line or virtual queue.

Jrb1979

Free FP wouldn't be available anymore.

aaronml

This is TWDC removing both MaxPass And FP+ in favor of only allowing paid FP, with everyone else being in either a standby line or virtual queue.
MaxPass proved to TWDC that people will pay for FP. Now TWDC wants to capitalize on that even more by getting rid of free FP, just like they have now done in Shanghai.

Jrb1979

Have you been to other amusement parks? Most have a paid system and it works great.

aaronml

Have you been to other amusement parks? Most have a paid system and it works great.
Most amusement parks are significantly cheaper than Disney.

Given what Disney charges, you shouldn’t have to wait 180+ minutes to get on a new/popular ride without having to pay to cut the line.

Especially when the entire point of FP originally was to get people out of long lines, to encourage people to shop / buy food (which it has done quite successfully).

There is a reason why Disney doesn’t draw a lot of attention to Club 33 in the parks.... among other things they don’t want to constantly remind people how much better life is for people richer than themselves.

It’s like how people often get jealous (understandably so) when boarding a plane and walking through first class before going to sit in coach.

Unless Disney significantly reduces their ticket pricing, this seems likely to result in “the rich line” and “the poor line” at attractions, which will definitely detract from the experience of many park guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom