US-192 Memories, Sucess, and Failure

Goofyernmost

I think thats were WalMart gets you, the price is cheapo but the quality is also. A friend once told me they make the same products but to sell to WalMart you have to eliminate certain functions or reduce the quality to meet the wholesale prices the want to pay. You may pick up a microwave at WalMart advertised at $89.00 but you can't find that same model elsewhere, another store will have it for slighly more but it will have more functons. Like they say you get what you pay for.
I think that is something that people that have been talked into "hating" Walmart have been using as an excuse. We are talking about brand names here. The brand isn't going to compromise it's future to sell a few more items. They are talked into large volume discounts because Walmart is one of, if not the, biggest retailer in the world. You miss out on a lot of sales if you don't conform to the price that Walmart demands. You will notice a lot of brand names that aren't in Walmart because they, don't have the margin to lower it as much as Walmart wants, and will just not have representation there rather then lose money. The others work on a volume basis rather then individual return. Even if they do have a difference in the number of functions, one buys what they offer. They always have the option of getting the bells and whistles at other places if they are all that important. Apparently, those that buy from Walmart do not think the extra cost is worth it.

Everything I have ever bought from Walmart has been either equal or exceeding quality of anyplace that one spends the long buck to buy. I buy all my Disney souvenirs from Walmart in Kissimmee and for a third of the price. They still have the Disney logo on them and are sanctioned by Disney. They are a Disney product. And they have all lasted longer then anything that I have ever paid the long price for at a Disney location.

They talk about Walmart forcing out Mom and Pop businesses and how they are not fair to the employees. No Mom & Pop that I was ever associated with was giving employees benefits like paid vacation, sick time, overtime or medical connections. It's to bad about the small stores, but, Walmart was a small store once. Clever business moves made it what it is today and I am at a loss to understand how anyone can look a something that is the biggest in the world and say that they are doing it all wrong. Not unlike Disney... it didn't get that way by not paying attention. They had a good start due to Mr. Disney, but, they have had 50 years to mess that up, and if results are any measurement, they haven't done anything but get bigger. Not a huge indication of failure.

Goofyernmost

In general I avoid 192 like the plague (although El Tepana is a great restaurant). Just too much traffic and too depressing for the most part. I hope the county can do something but I'm not holding my breath. Osceola Parkway between the Turnpike and the Shingle Creek toll plaza is no longer a quick way around 192 traffic either as it continues to be developed (not tourist stuff though). To avoid traffic you have to use 417.
If I don't spend time on 192 it just isn't a Walt Disney World trip to me. It is all part of my personal ambiance. I love it and all the cheap gift shops, attractions and traffic. It feels so alive, especially the West end now.

ULPO46

Original Poster
In general I avoid 192 like the plague (although El Tepana is a great restaurant). Just too much traffic and too depressing for the most part. I hope the county can do something but I'm not holding my breath. Osceola Parkway between the Turnpike and the Shingle Creek toll plaza is no longer a quick way around 192 traffic either as it continues to be developed (not tourist stuff though). To avoid traffic you have to use 417.
Yeah but the problem with the 417 is the brutal tolls! Nearly every other mile has a toll making it one of the most expensive toll roads in Florida's Turnpike System.

Retroman40

Yeah but the problem with the 417 is the brutal tolls! Nearly every other mile has a toll making it one of the most expensive toll roads in Florida's Turnpike System.

Absolutely brutal but a good lesson in economics and supply and demand. Midday the traffic is so bad on both 192 and Osceola Parkway (I've timed it and I've spent more than 10 minutes stopped at lights between the Turnpike and the toll plaza) that I will gladly part with the 3.75 I get whacked between Landstar and the Parkway near I Drive South. My mental health is worth way more to me than a couple bucks. Besides, you still get whacked I think 1.50 at the Shingle Creek Toll Plaza so my marginal cost (big word alert) is only 2.25. When I get off late at night I will take Osceola Parkway since at 2 am it isn't too bad.

FettFan

From roughly Celebration west through toll road 429, US-192 is actually decent, with with the stretch from 429 to 27 continuing to expand with new resorts and restaurants. There also seems to be some push to pretty this section up as well.

From Celebration and east all the way to Kissimmee and beyond, though, 192 is a depressing boulevard of broken dreams. Tons of old closed shops, motels, and tourist traps, and you will likely get hassled for money by homeless or methheads. One frustrating thing is that a lot of people make the mistake of finding these dirt cheap motels and assuming all of Orlando is like this.

I'd have to say that in addition to Disney's expansion of hotels, Universal and the growth of the I-Drive area surely played a part. Staying on 192 puts you close to Disney but far from Universal, I-Drive, and SeaWorld.

192 East: "The Ghost Town Past Old Town."

draybook

I don't get bothered by 192. Maybe I just have low standards or maybe it helps that I live right outside of the third most dangerous city in America. I dunno, but I like the "touristy" feel of it. I do, however, try to steer clear of International Drive if at all possible. It has nice places to eat/stay/whatever, but the traffic there is horrible, especially after the Universal parks close. As a matter of fact, we ordered takeout from the Outback on I-Drive and I've never been to an Outback that required parking in a fricking parking garage to pick up your food. It was insanely annoying and I will never go back there.

Hrudey3032

I love 192 and can always find places to go and eat. One our personal favorites is over by SR 27 and it is Miller's Ale House. We love the atmosphere and it is about on par money wise as BW3's. The service is great there. I have also enjoyed the Chuy's Mexican restaraunt near there as well. Are there bad locations along there? Of course there are, but the selection is so much better than I am used to in Indianapolis by far so maybe I see it from a different perspective.

Tom Morrow

Heres the History of I-Drive, from the infamous Wikipedia.

"The first section of I-Drive was laid out in the 1960s by attorney Finley Hamilton to serve his Hilton Inn South, opened in May 1970. He imagined that once Walt Disney World opened in October 1971, tourists would spot the hotel when traveling to the park along Interstate 4. "They called the hotel 'Finley's Folly' – everyone, all of my friends," Hamilton said. "They said it was in the boondocks. ...But it turned out to be highly successful.

Does this particular hotel still exist?

FettFan

Does this particular hotel still exist?

No.

From Jim Korkis:
The Hilton Inn South no longer exists but it was originally in the same general area as the big McDonald’s and entrance to Quality Inn on Sand Lake Road.

Source: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2015/04/17/a-friday-visit-with-jim-korkis-the-first-disney-world-hotel/

EDIT - Just pulled it up on a Google Map....it's a nice wedge of land between I-4, Sand Lake, and International Drive.

EDIT II - Disney Parks Blog has a history of the Poly and Contemporary....and they feature this image:
dcr191600LARGE.jpg

Source: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-disneys-contemporary-and-polynesian-resorts/

EDIT III - Just out of curiosity, I googled the phone number on the sign above. It now belongs to an auto shop called Carmona Auto Repair. http://www.autorepairmenow.com/carmona_auto_repair_orlando_FL_S600263948.php

Last edited:

FettFan

And from "The Disney Blog"....
The CoCo Key Hotel and Water Resort-Orlando is at 7400 International Drive, miles from Walt Disney World. But Disney historians will recognize that address as the site of International Drive’s very first hotel.
The original “Hilton Inn South” was built by Finley Hamilton, who literally bought 10 acres of sand and palmetto woods near Sand Lake Road in 1968. At the time, it was accessible only by a dirt road. Hamilton even came up with the name “International Drive,” reportedly because “Hamilton Drive” wasn’t available.

Source: http://thedisneyblog.com/2010/04/23/coco-key-water-resort-now-open-in-orlando/

POLY LOVER

I don,t understand the traffic complaints? I move up and down 192 with no problem. As many have pointed out 192 still has many reasons to travel it. I like the touristy feel and the mom and pop places that make it unique. And of course it Leeds to the MK and that's the best. I do love the flea market places I can browse them for hours.

Retroman40

I don,t understand the traffic complaints? I move up and down 192 with no problem. As many have pointed out 192 still has many reasons to travel it. I like the touristy feel and the mom and pop places that make it unique. And of course it Leeds to the MK and that's the best. I do love the flea market places I can browse them for hours.

I might be thinking a little farther from Disney than most guests generally venture. Living in eastern Osceola County to get to Disney I have to travel the whole length of 192 from the Turnpike exit to WDW. The stretch between the Turnpike and to "old town" is horribly crowded (and depressing) most of the day. Once you get down to the 535 area it really isn't too bad.

POLY LOVER

I think that is something that people that have been talked into "hating" Walmart have been using as an excuse. We are talking about brand names here. The brand isn't going to compromise it's future to sell a few more items. They are talked into large volume discounts because Walmart is one of, if not the, biggest retailer in the world. You miss out on a lot of sales if you don't conform to the price that Walmart demands. You will notice a lot of brand names that aren't in Walmart because they, don't have the margin to lower it as much as Walmart wants, and will just not have representation there rather then lose money. The others work on a volume basis rather then individual return. Even if they do have a difference in the number of functions, one buys what they offer. They always have the option of getting the bells and whistles at other places if they are all that important. Apparently, those that buy from Walmart do not think the extra cost is worth it.

Everything I have ever bought from Walmart has been either equal or exceeding quality of anyplace that one spends the long buck to buy. I buy all my Disney souvenirs from Walmart in Kissimmee and for a third of the price. They still have the Disney logo on them and are sanctioned by Disney. They are a Disney product. And they have all lasted longer then anything that I have ever paid the long price for at a Disney location.

They talk about Walmart forcing out Mom and Pop businesses and how they are not fair to the employees. No Mom & Pop that I was ever associated with was giving employees benefits like paid vacation, sick time, overtime or medical connections. It's to bad about the small stores, but, Walmart was a small store once. Clever business moves made it what it is today and I am at a loss to understand how anyone can look a something that is the biggest in the world and say that they are doing it all wrong. Not unlike Disney... it didn't get that way by not paying attention. They had a good start due to Mr. Disney, but, they have had 50 years to mess that up, and if results are any measurement, they haven't done anything but get bigger. Not a huge indication of failure.

as far as WalMart goes brand names will produce products for them alone to meet their selling price needs. Its kind of like how a brand name mattress company will produce a model name for say a Sleepys and you can't find the same at a Mattress Giant , its the same brand name but a different model so you can't price compare. This is how WalMart operates, they have the buying power so brand name go along and do this for them. You get what you pay for.

Last edited:

ULPO46

Original Poster
The only time it does have traffic as with the rest of the area is during rush hour and especially during peak Holiday Season!

Goofyernmost

as far as WalMart goes brand names will produce products for them alone to meet their selling price needs. Its kind of like how a brand name mattress company will produce a model name for say a Sleepys and you can't find the same at a Mattress Giant , its the same brand name but a different model so you can't price compare. This is how WalMart operates, they have the buying power so brand name go along and do this for them. You get what you pay for.
They very much do that for product that comes under the Walmart name, like Great Value canned goods. However, a Hoover* vacuum is a Hoover vacuum and it isn't likely to be altered. They have a future to worry about. If their profit margin is large enough sell to Walmart on a volume basis, then they will do so. It would be idiotic to compromise their brand for a few dollars in sales. Not to mention the additional costs involved with a manufacturer to alter specs for one single vendor. You may get what you pay for, but in other places you pay a lot more for nothing extra. I'll go with the "get what I pay for approach".

*Hoover was just an example, I have no idea whether or not Walmart carries Hoover products.

POLY LOVER

They very much do that for product that comes under the Walmart name, like Great Value canned goods. However, a Hoover* vacuum is a Hoover vacuum and it isn't likely to be altered. They have a future to worry about. If their profit margin is large enough sell to Walmart on a volume basis, then they will do so. It would be idiotic to compromise their brand for a few dollars in sales. Not to mention the additional costs involved with a manufacturer to alter specs for one single vendor. You may get what you pay for, but in other places you pay a lot more for nothing extra. I'll go with the "get what I pay for approach".

*Hoover was just an example, I have no idea whether or not Walmart carries Hoover products.

I may not have been clear enough, using your Hoover example, they do not make them cheaper quality they may remove a feature to lower the price. I have seen this with Microwave ovens in particular, certain feature are removed to cut down on the price. So instead of 15 different feature it may only have 10 but still be a name brand. Try and find the same name brand with the same features at another store and you can not. It was produce for WalMart only so they can sell it cheaper.

Goofyernmost

I may not have been clear enough, using your Hoover example, they do not make them cheaper quality they may remove a feature to lower the price. I have seen this with Microwave ovens in particular, certain feature are removed to cut down on the price. So instead of 15 different feature it may only have 10 but still be a name brand. Try and find the same name brand with the same features at another store and you can not. It was produce for WalMart only so they can sell it cheaper.
OK, that is different then saying it is lesser quality. Additional features are just additional features, quality is not the question. It is then, what are you willing to pay extra to have. Quality means it is cheaply made with shoddy materials and is not expected to last. That is not the case with a couple of features missing. It just means you don't have the features and if it means that much then you go to someplace else to get the bells and whistles. Is a low end Mercedes a lesser quality then the high end, or is it just limited in the luxury extras.

POLY LOVER

OK, that is different then saying it is lesser quality. Additional features are just additional features, quality is not the question. It is then, what are you willing to pay extra to have. Quality means it is cheaply made with shoddy materials and is not expected to last. That is not the case with a couple of features missing. It just means you don't have the features and if it means that much then you go to someplace else to get the bells and whistles. Is a low end Mercedes a lesser quality then the high end, or is it just limited in the luxury extras.

the problem most people see price first and don't realize what feature may be missing. some people buy on price tag alone.

Tom Morrow

But they label it as a different model of microwave/vacuum/whatever. It's not that they're trying to trick the consumer into buying an inferior product they think is the same as a better model.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom