US-192 Memories, Sucess, and Failure

POLY LOVER

But they label it as a different model of microwave/vacuum/whatever. It's not that they're trying to trick the consumer into buying an inferior product they think is the same as a better model.
if you think it's fair then it is. I think it's deceptive but buyer beware.

Ben_since_1971

My wife and I stayed on I-drive in 1992, and I thought it was so touristy - in a good way. Yeah it was tourist trap stuff, but we loved going through the seashell store (and seeing how many things they could make out of sea shells), and all the other trap stores (and dealing with the ticket resellers - so glad they are gone).

Then in 1997, we stayed at the Howard Johnson's on 192. Place was a dump, but 192 in the immediate area was tourist trap city and I loved it in an Americana type of way. Then we spent a few years back on I-Drive at the Rosen Plaza, one year at the Residence Inn just off I-Drive and a couple others.

We have stayed on property since 2004. And every year we take a drive down Memory Lane and go down both I-Drive and 192. And I am so disappointed in what I see. Not really disappointed, but sad. These places used to be such key elements to the Orlando/Disney experience. Then the expansion of the 90s. They built the (what is now) Pointe Orlando - and it was a beautiful looking mall - had a FAO Schwarz among others. In 1992 that was a field!!! It is now in its second incarnation. Then they (tripled??quadrupled??) the Convention Center. And everyone built big hotels and opened everything and saturated the market. 192 had the same growth spurt. I can remember in 1997 the area behind 192 (on the side opposite Celebration), was just roads waiting for development. Then they built and built and built. And then the bottom fell out in 2008.

But before that, I think what was happening was along the same lines as to what happened in the 1950s and the growth of the highway system - suburbs were built and the people moved out of the cities and into the suburbs. What happened to the cities? They deteriorated. On I-Drive and 192, you had good ecosystems of businesses in full support of Disney World. Then people started building bigger and better places, not only to keep up with Disney, but to offer something new and different. Plus maybe Americana touristy kitsch was fading away. But the people moved on to these newer and bigger and more different places. So what happened to the places that were there? They deteriorated.

I don't think it's Disney's fault. Yes they added capacity, but they also added parks (HS in 1989, AK in 1998) so visitor capacity also increased. There still was a need for off-site hotels.

I hope the two areas can turn it around. I have so many wonderful memories on I-Drive from the days when we stayed there. To me those areas are as much a part of the experience as WDW itself (but then again that is just me).

Sorry for the run-on. This is a good thread. I just tapped into a thought pattern, and there is it :)

ULPO46

Original Poster
My wife and I stayed on I-drive in 1992, and I thought it was so touristy - in a good way. Yeah it was tourist trap stuff, but we loved going through the seashell store (and seeing how many things they could make out of sea shells), and all the other trap stores (and dealing with the ticket resellers - so glad they are gone).

Then in 1997, we stayed at the Howard Johnson's on 192. Place was a dump, but 192 in the immediate area was tourist trap city and I loved it in an Americana type of way. Then we spent a few years back on I-Drive at the Rosen Plaza, one year at the Residence Inn just off I-Drive and a couple others.

We have stayed on property since 2004. And every year we take a drive down Memory Lane and go down both I-Drive and 192. And I am so disappointed in what I see. Not really disappointed, but sad. These places used to be such key elements to the Orlando/Disney experience. Then the expansion of the 90s. They built the (what is now) Pointe Orlando - and it was a beautiful looking mall - had a FAO Schwarz among others. In 1992 that was a field!!! It is now in its second incarnation. Then they (tripled??quadrupled??) the Convention Center. And everyone built big hotels and opened everything and saturated the market. 192 had the same growth spurt. I can remember in 1997 the area behind 192 (on the side opposite Celebration), was just roads waiting for development. Then they built and built and built. And then the bottom fell out in 2008.

But before that, I think what was happening was along the same lines as to what happened in the 1950s and the growth of the highway system - suburbs were built and the people moved out of the cities and into the suburbs. What happened to the cities? They deteriorated. On I-Drive and 192, you had good ecosystems of businesses in full support of Disney World. Then people started building bigger and better places, not only to keep up with Disney, but to offer something new and different. Plus maybe Americana touristy kitsch was fading away. But the people moved on to these newer and bigger and more different places. So what happened to the places that were there? They deteriorated.

I don't think it's Disney's fault. Yes they added capacity, but they also added parks (HS in 1989, AK in 1998) so visitor capacity also increased. There still was a need for off-site hotels.

I hope the two areas can turn it around. I have so many wonderful memories on I-Drive from the days when we stayed there. To me those areas are as much a part of the experience as WDW itself (but then again that is just me).

Sorry for the run-on. This is a good thread. I just tapped into a thought pattern, and there is it :)
Wow this is very well though out and very informative. Yes I think we can all agree it was or isn't Disney's fault not everyone traveling can afford the average of 200 dollars plus tax a night to stay on site. Most people have to find off site hotels. After all Orlando is tied with Las Vegas for hotel rooms. The influx of tourist has led countless investors to build bigger and taller. Gosh I remember when they were building up the convention center. It feels as though it were yesterday.

Susan Savia

I don,t understand the traffic complaints? I move up and down 192 with no problem. As many have pointed out 192 still has many reasons to travel it. I like the touristy feel and the mom and pop places that make it unique. And of course it Leeds to the MK and that's the best. I do love the flea market places I can browse them for hours.
We stay off of 192, one mile from the entrance to the parks. We've never encountered this 'traffic' everyone is talking about. You should live near the mixing bowl in Northern VA...now that's traffic! We enjoy checking out the touristy shops along the 192 stretch, love the Orange World store. We've watched many road improvements to that area over the years and find it a pleasure to drive on it. Landscaping is beautiful, flowers etc.

POLY LOVER

its a total luxury to stay on site, unless you go value. I like the places off site they are cheaper and they have advantages. you are not captive to Disney dinning and you most likely will have car and can sample other things going on around Orlando.

POLY LOVER

Disney is a vacum for the tourist dollar. its hard to compete with Disney if they want you out of the picture. If they institute the good neighbor policy to the outside hotels they probably would have a chance. But once again there are some nice places along 192. BUt someone posted that the Disney value hotels are not what they once were also? if true then its a toss up where you stay and what you want to pay for a value hotel.

Goofyernmost

We stay off of 192, one mile from the entrance to the parks. We've never encountered this 'traffic' everyone is talking about. You should live near the mixing bowl in Northern VA...now that's traffic! We enjoy checking out the touristy shops along the 192 stretch, love the Orange World store. We've watched many road improvements to that area over the years and find it a pleasure to drive on it. Landscaping is beautiful, flowers etc.
That made me chuckle a little. Honestly, after having traveled down to WDW for 32 years, I do not ever remember a time when they weren't doing construction on the I-4 / Rte 192 intersection. They must have a construction crew that just has it's headquarters at that intersection. As I said, I love 192, if for no other reason for its lack of uniform structure that WDW is forced to maintain. Not every poem has to rhyme.

Like you said, the shops, the restaurants, the tourist traps... all of it is part of the fun for me. Oh, and if you think you might like to take a helicopter ride over WDW, you have to go to 192 to do that. (I think there is one on I-Drive as well.)

POLY LOVER

That made me chuckle a little. Honestly, after having traveled down to WDW for 32 years, I do not ever remember a time when they weren't doing construction on the I-4 / Rte 192 intersection. They must have a construction crew that just has it's headquarters at that intersection. As I said, I love 192, if for no other reason for its lack of uniform structure that WDW is forced to maintain. Not every poem has to rhyme.

Like you said, the shops, the restaurants, the tourist traps... all of it is part of the fun for me. Oh, and if you think you might like to take a helicopter ride over WDW, you have to go to 192 to do that. (I think there is one on I-Drive as well.)

I think its were you come from as to what you consider heavy traffic. If you are from a city you laugh at these so called traffc issues. It takes me 45 minutes every day to go 12 miles to work.

ULPO46

Original Poster
Did any of you ever eat at K.W. Kools? I haven't been able to find out what happened to that restaurant. It closed down at least 8-9 years ago but as a kid it was one of my favorite place go and celebrate my birthday when I lived in Orlando. Pachinos is another great Italian place, but I feel over the years 's quality has fallen. As for the traffic the only times it's ever bad is during peak season, rush hour( Remember this highway crosses through major housing developments), and as stated Construction. It's not as bad as Chicago, LA, New York, Dallas-Ft.Worth, or DC Traffic. forget Miami that's just a joke of a mess that's been like that for over 20 years now. I'm trying to find out a little more history on the old Hotels from 192 and I-Drive. As soon as I get that set I will place a list on this thread to see which ones people remembered well.

POLY LOVER

Stop it... go take a lesson in marketing and retail management. It's not deceptive and not corporate greed or any other such nonsense. It's product differentiation with different price points. Pretty much all major retailers do this - appliances, clothing, etc. That's why it is so hard to take advantage of price matching because retailers get a unique model created for them by the manufacturer. Yes, the features will be different - duh! But, don't judge an item by the store that sells it. The buyer needs to research the product and features being offered to determine what features are worth the price.

just because everyone does it doesn't make it right. I think that's what we tell our children! I did say buyer beware didn't I? And just to be fair I don't think all consumers need to take a marketing course to go shopping in order get a fair deal and avoid marketing tricks of the trade..

ULPO46

Original Poster
FWIW, WDW offers a LOT of hotel rooms for less than $200/night. Yes, you can find cheaper rooms off site, but let's not resort to posting inaccurate costs for WDW. And, as stated earlier in this thread, be sure you are comparing the full price of the off site properties to what you get at WDW (beware of the fees off site).
FYI I applied average cost per night. Yes there are some rooms that cost less. Its not inaccurate at all that's average. More and the 250 a night mark excluding the taxes.

Goofyernmost

I think its were you come from as to what you consider heavy traffic. If you are from a city you laugh at these so called traffc issues. It takes me 45 minutes every day to go 12 miles to work.
I first started out coming here from Vermont up until 4 years ago when I moved to Raleigh. You don't get much more rural then Vermont. I still didn't find it a big deal. I had seen places with worse traffic, like Boston, but, most of my existence was in Vermont. I found it busy, but, it never occurred to me that it was a problem. Just a little slower then I was used too.

Goofyernmost

just because everyone does it doesn't make it right. I think that's what we tell our children! I did say buyer beware didn't I? And just to be fair I don't think all consumers need to take a marketing course to go shopping in order get a fair deal and avoid marketing tricks of the trade..
You're right, but, they do need to know how to read and exercise that talent. Then they will always know what they are buying before they buy it.

Tom Morrow

We stay off of 192, one mile from the entrance to the parks. We've never encountered this 'traffic' everyone is talking about..
During busier times, 192 can be an absolute gridlock. For example, between Christmas and New Years, it could take you an hour to get from 27 to World Drive.

POLY LOVER

Like the big ORANGE shaped produce building on 192 , you just got to stop.
ls[1].jpg

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

During busier times, 192 can be an absolute gridlock. For example, between Christmas and New Years, it could take you an hour to get from 27 to World Drive.
Since there are other entrances to WDW other then World Drive, I never have to get that far. But, I will keep that information to myself.. if you look you can find them. They only thing you miss is the big "Welcome to WDW" sign. Once a trip is enough for me.

Tom Morrow

Since there are other entrances to WDW other then World Drive, I never have to get that far. But, I will keep that information to myself.. if you look you can find them. They only thing you miss is the big "Welcome to WDW" sign. Once a trip is enough for me.
Sherbeth Road; Avalon Road + multiple back roads; 429 to Flamingo Crossings exit

THE SECRET'S OUT!

Mouse_Trap

Disney has caused them to fail. They have built so many rooms at all price levels it's hard for others to compete with them. Disney does not want their guests leaving their property. The more on property the more money they will spend at Disney.

I've yet to see Disney compete in the sub $50/night bracket ;)

You are not alone in that. One of the things I like most about Disney resorts is the one and done pricing. Paying to park at a resort I am paying to stay at long with a "resort fee" for a paper I never read or services I never use chaps my rump like you would not believe.

I hate the extras like resort fees that are mandatory or parking charges at hotels that aren't city centre, but even more I despise being taken for a fool with some of Disney's pricing, even if it is all included. Disney is still charging you for all those services you never use, but wrapping the price up as 1 so it's less noticeable.

I love 192 and can always find places to go and eat. One our personal favorites is over by SR 27 and it is Miller's Ale House. We love the atmosphere and it is about on par money wise as BW3's. The service is great there. I have also enjoyed the Chuy's Mexican restaraunt near there as well. Are there bad locations along there? Of course there are, but the selection is so much better than I am used to in Indianapolis by far so maybe I see it from a different perspective.

I liked Miller's Ale House, just not the Plastic plates. Yuck. I was really surprised for what seemed like a nice place.
May have even been plastic cutlery. I despise when Disney does that, though generally just buffets or quick serve. Unacceptable in a restaurant.

OK, that is different then saying it is lesser quality. Additional features are just additional features, quality is not the question. It is then, what are you willing to pay extra to have. Quality means it is cheaply made with shoddy materials and is not expected to last. That is not the case with a couple of features missing. It just means you don't have the features and if it means that much then you go to someplace else to get the bells and whistles. Is a low end Mercedes a lesser quality then the high end, or is it just limited in the luxury extras.

I've seen lesser quality too, using the microwave example, using cheaper parts like coated plastic sides rather than stainless steel, or plastic buttons/handles rather than metal.
Mercedes, yes definitely. Compare an A Class to an S Class, the quality is much lower in most aspects. Obviously has much less luxury extras too.
Mercedes also went through a bad period about 10 years ago too, where the quality on their mass produced cars really suffered and was most noticeable. The quality of their high-end didn't suffer, or at least not so noticeably.

I'd say it's quite common for manufactures to cheap out when producing products for fixed prices for your wallmart type stores. Corners are cut, cheaper parts are used. Maybe not in key major components as it would cost more to make a new model, but definitely elsewhere.

There been a helicopter ride place on I-Drive since at least 1997, I was there Christmas/New Year 97/98. It's just north of the Rosen Plaza (was Quality Inn Plaza) (pretty much opposite Pointe Orlando), used to be adjacent to Race Rock (anyone remember that?). Its still been operating everytime I've returned since.

FWIW, WDW offers a LOT of hotel rooms for less than $200/night. Yes, you can find cheaper rooms off site, but let's not resort to posting inaccurate costs for WDW. And, as stated earlier in this thread, be sure you are comparing the full price of the off site properties to what you get at WDW (beware of the fees off site).

But not that much less than $200/night is it? What the lowest rate for a Disney Value Motel these days?
Probably worth pointing out that not every off-site property charges a resort fee (which I find repulsive tbh, unless its optional).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom