US-192 Memories, Sucess, and Failure

Goofyernmost

I've seen lesser quality too, using the microwave example, using cheaper parts like coated plastic sides rather than stainless steel, or plastic buttons/handles rather than metal.
Mercedes, yes definitely. Compare an A Class to an S Class, the quality is much lower in most aspects. Obviously has much less luxury extras too.
Mercedes also went through a bad period about 10 years ago too, where the quality on their mass produced cars really suffered and was most noticeable. The quality of their high-end didn't suffer, or at least not so noticeably.

I'd say it's quite common for manufactures to cheap out when producing products for fixed prices for your wallmart type stores. Corners are cut, cheaper parts are used. Maybe not in key major components as it would cost more to make a new model, but definitely elsewhere.
There are always exceptions, but, some of what you have mentioned do make the item less expensive but not necessarily lesser quality when it comes to performing the job for which it was intended. What you noted as a difference in Microwaves, for example, are visual for the most part. Stainless steel or plastic covers do not affect how it operates unless you habitually throw things at it or toss it across a room. As long as it's sitting on a secure surface then it will perform the same function whether it's shiny or white plastic. I have one that I have had for close to 10 years, it still works perfectly and even the "cheap" plastic exterior still looks like new.

In today's world of throwaways, even the most expensive of things are limited in their life time, mechanically. Back to Microwaves, I had one previous to my current one that had a dial timer.... it still worked well for a long time. Sometimes how much one pays for something has no real bearing on it's functional life. Unless the manufacturing run is huge, a manufacturer is not going to change it's entire procedure and standards to fit the whims of one vendor. They have to insure that when that predicted death date is reached that the consumer will want to or be willing to purchase the same brand.

Hrudey3032

I liked Miller's Ale House, just not the Plastic plates. Yuck. I was really surprised for what seemed like a nice place.
May have even been plastic cutlery. I despise when Disney does that, though generally just buffets or quick serve. Unacceptable in a restaurant.
I got to be honest I wasn't given plastic plates or utensils. I had a metal plate that had a wooden holder under it for my offerings and regular silverware. Now if you are talking Chuy's then yes I agree plastic plates.

Goofyernmost

Actually compared to some off property hotels it's not that much a value rate.
When you consider the room size is just a tad bigger then a walk in closet, you bet it isn't that much of a value. I stayed at POP back when it cost extra to have a refrigerator in the room. The only space available for one was by the door, so for an extra $10.00 per night I got a refrigerator, however, I couldn't open the room front door completely. I had to go in sideways. Some value that was.

I had an extra day before my plane left so I went to an offsite hotel on 192. At the time it cost me $45.00 per night, had a refrigerator that didn't block the door plus a microwave and that room was an easy 30 to 40% bigger and I could get all kinds of channels on the TV, not just what Disney allowed me to see. BTW, the channel selection included Stacy's top 10 Must See's.

Last edited:

POLY LOVER

Does anyone know the street address for the Super Target?

Rolling Oaks Commons Super Target

State Road 429 and US Highway 192, Kissimmee, FL 34747 1da1e0657f364ab68f6dca3202c47318[1].jpg

Last edited:
Fond memories of the Super 8 across from Old Town, with the Slingshot reaching heavenward in a pre-dawn misty glow of busy carnival lights like digital ants...a truck chirped its reversal warning, a hydraulic lift whined, and a palette smacked the ground as the Publix loading dock welcomed shipments in anticipation of eager customers to come. Coffee brewed in the lobby, its tangy aroma offering the promise of the caffeine-fueled journey to Magic soon to come...

ULPO46

Original Poster
sounds like a great plan, I was unable to see if the plan was approved or not?
That's the thing they have been trying to figure this out for over 10 years and to no avail. Even with ticket prices going up, people are still going to want to save more by staying off site. Why hotel owners aren't taking the advantage of upgrading and making their hotels look nice has always baffled me. It's not like this area is dead one day of the year. There are always people going out to eat at LongHorn or Carrabas or the other places that have and serve 100% higher quality meals than the expensive options at Disney. Even with Disney Springs now in the final phases of development, I believe it's time for US-192 and I-Drive to reinvent themselves and try to draw some of the crowd over there so that when DS opens, it's not going to feel so crowded because even once all the construction is done, weekends will be a nightmare of traffic and finding a space in the garages for both locals and tourist alike. I don't downplay the project but when you add more capacity to an already limited area, you are only going to get more traffic and tourist congestion.

An interesting thing about the W192 redevelopment plan, once you dig into the details...there were two things identified as "needs"--increased partnership with flag hotels, and increased focus on ESPN Wide World of Sports and its associated sports-tourism market. More recently, the Flamingo Crossings development has stated goals of tapping into the sports-tourism market via construction of flag hotels.

The Tuna

When you consider the room size is just a tad bigger then a walk in closet, you bet it isn't that much of a value. I stayed at POP back when it cost extra to have a refrigerator in the room. The only space available for one was by the door, so for an extra $10.00 per night I got a refrigerator, however, I couldn't open the room front door completely. I had to go in sideways. Some value that was.

I had an extra day before my plane left so I went to an offsite hotel on 192. At the time it cost me $45.00 per night, had a refrigerator that didn't block the door plus a microwave and that room was an easy 30 to 40% bigger and I could get all kinds of channels on the TV, not just what Disney allowed me to see. BTW, the channel selection included Stacy's top 10 Must See's.

I stayed at POP alot and then one day decided to spend the first half at POR. we got to POP and realized just how tiny the rooms were, AC didn't go as low, rooms were noisier. I said never again although we are doing a night there at the beginning of our trip. The value of the value resorts is not there compared to something close by. for the first time in a decade I will be looking offsite for the next trip. a third of the price for nice rooms nearby.

Why hotel owners aren't taking the advantage of upgrading and making their hotels look nice has always baffled me.

The one that most baffles is the property at I-4 and 192, originally a Hyatt and most recently the Orlando Sun Resort & Convention Center. How do you not make that work so close to the Mouse? Maybe it comes down to management and hiring of good staff. It could also be that hotel owners need a really good plan to keep the natural aspects of Central Florida (bugs, mold, jungle) at bay, and large clusters of multiple low buildings are tough to maintain in that regard.

POLY LOVER

That's the thing they have been trying to figure this out for over 10 years and to no avail. Even with ticket prices going up, people are still going to want to save more by staying off site. Why hotel owners aren't taking the advantage of upgrading and making their hotels look nice has always baffled me. It's not like this area is dead one day of the year. There are always people going out to eat at LongHorn or Carrabas or the other places that have and serve 100% higher quality meals than the expensive options at Disney. Even with Disney Springs now in the final phases of development, I believe it's time for US-192 and I-Drive to reinvent themselves and try to draw some of the crowd over there so that when DS opens, it's not going to feel so crowded because even once all the construction is done, weekends will be a nightmare of traffic and finding a space in the garages for both locals and tourist alike. I don't downplay the project but when you add more capacity to an already limited area, you are only going to get more traffic and tourist congestion.
I think once you have the hotel upgrades you need transportation and good marketing. Like you say as the Disney ticket prices and food prices increase I think folks would welcome an alternative but it has to be a good one that works.
But I agree 192 can work! The Hyatt is a mystery.

Goofyernmost

Partially it is because the East end of 192 became a monthly rental for people that came into work the minimum wage jobs and also became a higher risk, not necessarily because of that, but, because Kissimmee became a mini-urban area and street crime was increasing and working it's way west on 192.

The current building and attention to the West end between I-4 and 27 shows signs of improvement. There was also a time when Disney was building all those resorts that owners of the locations on 192 went through some tough times and abandoned the properties (mostly in the East end). Now that the prices at Disney have climbed to nearly impossible heights for folks with moderate incomes, the opportunities are starting to be seen again. Many have decided that in spite of the allegedly 'crack' type experience of immersion, it has become out of reach of many people. They still want to go to the parks, eat regular meals, stay in relatively comfortable, much less expensive hotels and restaurants and not leave the place filling out bankruptcy papers to be filed when they get home.

In short, it's coming around again. People are starting to realize how many things that there are to do in the general Orlando/Kissimmee area and the easiest way to experience it is to stay offsite. As for the Hyatt, it was probably a victim of timing. A major investment that couldn't hold up during the time that Disney Resorts were opening. That's a lot of rooms to compete against and at the time, Disney WAS the only real place to go. Not so anymore.

As for the Hyatt, it was probably a victim of timing. A major investment that couldn't hold up during the time that Disney Resorts were opening.

If memory serves, the Hyatt operation folded around 2002-03, basically due to the post-9/11 crunch. Then Ramada gave it a shot, then Orlando Sun--arguably a downhill slide, and likely a case of progressively shallower pockets as a backstop. Looking up prices on LoopNet almost always yields a blank, but I think I recall a pricetag of $7M during the past year. That's quite a discount for 77 acres, and it begs the question of whether demolition is cost prohibitive for prospective buyers.

It was a surprise when the Publix closed back by Holiday Trail. That whole Xentury City area is another puzzler.

Goofyernmost

If memory serves, the Hyatt operation folded around 2002-03, basically due to the post-9/11 crunch. Then Ramada gave it a shot, then Orlando Sun--arguably a downhill slide, and likely a case of progressively shallower pockets as a backstop. Looking up prices on LoopNet almost always yields a blank, but I think I recall a pricetag of $7M during the past year. That's quite a discount for 77 acres, and it begs the question of whether demolition is cost prohibitive for prospective buyers.

It was a surprise when the Publix closed back by Holiday Trail. That whole Xentury City area is another puzzler.
Your right, it is impossible to know exactly what happened. It could be 9/11 that dug them into a hole that they couldn't recover from, or just plain mismanagement, bad pricing or lack of sufficient promotion. I'm sure there are many possible scenario's that might fit. Many would be that they were just underfunded and couldn't ride out the downturns.

An interesting thing about the Hyatt/Ramada/Orlando Sun is that, in concept, it simultaneously resembles and predates Disney's Value resorts with its "same-unit geometric-pattern" approach. From the overhead view, it's almost as if a giant hand could reach down, scoop it up, and plop it between ESPN and the new laundry facility, making it feel right at home--once refurbished per Disney specs, of course. Meanwhile, fate sadly has found it on the wrong side of I-4, and it pines for renewed life and purpose.

ULPO46

Original Poster
Partially it is because the East end of 192 became a monthly rental for people that came into work the minimum wage jobs and also became a higher risk, not necessarily because of that, but, because Kissimmee became a mini-urban area and street crime was increasing and working it's way west on 192.

The current building and attention to the West end between I-4 and 27 shows signs of improvement. There was also a time when Disney was building all those resorts that owners of the locations on 192 went through some tough times and abandoned the properties (mostly in the East end). Now that the prices at Disney have climbed to nearly impossible heights for folks with moderate incomes, the opportunities are starting to be seen again. Many have decided that in spite of the allegedly 'crack' type experience of immersion, it has become out of reach of many people. They still want to go to the parks, eat regular meals, stay in relatively comfortable, much less expensive hotels and restaurants and not leave the place filling out bankruptcy papers to be filed when they get home.

In short, it's coming around again. People are starting to realize how many things that there are to do in the general Orlando/Kissimmee area and the easiest way to experience it is to stay offsite. As for the Hyatt, it was probably a victim of timing. A major investment that couldn't hold up during the time that Disney Resorts were opening. That's a lot of rooms to compete against and at the time, Disney WAS the only real place to go. Not so anymore.
Exactly that area of 192 where once upon a time was a nice place to grow up and go to the fair has now become a feeling of a third world country with the amount of immigrants and us nationals coming for the cheap rent and so called "jobs" available at Disney. Let's face it why some countries advertise that it's easy to get a high paying job at Disney world disgust me. I feel bad for those people but at the same time, hurts the local economy.

As for the poor management, indeed. A lot happened after 9/11 crowds at all three major Orlando attractions dropped. Prices dropped and to be honest where the happiest days of my life enjoying all those parks. Orlando was a decent place to raise a family too my dad didn't have to be walking around with a gun strapped to his waste in lake eola for fear of getting mugged. I'd say the post 9/11 apocalypse of the hospitality industry, which includes airlines and cruises, started booming after the recession in 2011. Since then look at the disgusting amount of crowds in all the parks. Places that two three years ago seemed comfortable during off peak times, now feels crowded. still geniuses are puzzling over data charts to figure things out. But one things certain the Global Recession of 2008 seems to be behind us even if the affects of it are noticed everywhere in the real world. Disney never was hit by it, but now more than ever, people can still afford the price of admission.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom