US-192 Memories, Sucess, and Failure

Exactly that area of 192 where once upon a time was a nice place to grow up and go to the fair...

You mean 192 on the east side of Kissimmee? That area also looks to be under fairly aggressive redevelopment--some demolition of old buildings like the Southeastern Academy, new houses across from the stadium. How well attended are events at the Heritage Park?

Goofyernmost

Exactly that area of 192 where once upon a time was a nice place to grow up and go to the fair has now become a feeling of a third world country with the amount of immigrants and us nationals coming for the cheap rent and so called "jobs" available at Disney. Let's face it why some countries advertise that it's easy to get a high paying job at Disney world disgust me. I feel bad for those people but at the same time, hurts the local economy.

As for the poor management, indeed. A lot happened after 9/11 crowds at all three major Orlando attractions dropped. Prices dropped and to be honest where the happiest days of my life enjoying all those parks. Orlando was a decent place to raise a family too my dad didn't have to be walking around with a gun strapped to his waste in lake eola for fear of getting mugged. I'd say the post 9/11 apocalypse of the hospitality industry, which includes airlines and cruises, started booming after the recession in 2011. Since then look at the disgusting amount of crowds in all the parks. Places that two three years ago seemed comfortable during off peak times, now feels crowded. still geniuses are puzzling over data charts to figure things out. But one things certain the Global Recession of 2008 seems to be behind us even if the affects of it are noticed everywhere in the real world. Disney never was hit by it, but now more than ever, people can still afford the price of admission.
I was very careful not to spell out what the actual make-up of the people that are there, because, although there are many that did come to this country because of a belief that life is better, came here and found out that it really was, even if it meant living a one room motel room. The standard of living for a minimum wage job was much higher for them then what it was where they came from. The problem with most of us that were brought up in this country is the we are spoiled rotten. Low paying jobs to us are considered criminal and socially unacceptable, when to them it is the best they have ever lived. They aren't the ones committing the crimes either, they are working their butts of to have a better existence.

I have nothing but respect for those that come to this country because they believe that life will be better. They try hard to support themselves and because they are not used to this standard of living are convinced that the "establish American businessman" is not exploiting them, but, giving them a chance. We all know what is happening, but, we prefer to blame them for our problems and make it seem like they are doing something wrong. They are only trying to make a living and the obstacles that they face are the size of Everest. None of us would ever want to be taking their place, I can assure you.

...even if it meant living a one room motel room...

This is one of the components that Osceola County at least identified in the W192 redevelopment material. The "Segment 3" portion of 192--basically from SR 535 east to the Kissimmee city limit--is supposed to address the problem of long-term residents in motels via increased multi-family housing located close to bus service. Surely it's good all around if they succeed. Drawing a blank on whether there has been any real clearing and rebuilding in Segment 3, as there is in the aforementioned E192 area. There certainly are some abandoned properties in there, though.

Tom Morrow

Even with Disney Springs now in the final phases of development, I believe it's time for US-192 and I-Drive to reinvent themselves and try to draw some of the crowd over there so that when DS opens, it's not going to feel so crowded because even once all the construction is done, weekends will be a nightmare of traffic and finding a space in the garages for both locals and tourist alike. I don't downplay the project but when you add more capacity to an already limited area, you are only going to get more traffic and tourist congestion.
I-Drive has already been reinventing itself. The stretch from SeaWorld to Sand Lake Road is very nice and upscale. The sector from Sand Lake Road to the Outlets/Artegon Marketplace area still needs a lot of work, though. The problem with both I-Drive and nice areas of 192 is they are not very pedestrian friendly. Sure, there are tons of shops and restaurants, but everything is spread out over miles and most people will probably just drive to one restaurant or attraction and stick around that area.

It's going to be hard for anything to steal the crowds away from Disney Springs.

POLY LOVER

I-Drive has already been reinventing itself. The stretch from SeaWorld to Sand Lake Road is very nice and upscale. The sector from Sand Lake Road to the Outlets/Artegon Marketplace area still needs a lot of work, though. The problem with both I-Drive and nice areas of 192 is they are not very pedestrian friendly. Sure, there are tons of shops and restaurants, but everything is spread out over miles and most people will probably just drive to one restaurant or attraction and stick around that area.

It's going to be hard for anything to steal the crowds away from Disney Springs.

I think their best bet is Disney continuing to up their prices beyond mid class folks and they have a market to appeal to again. dvc rooms are already max'd out from what I hear. they need more and may have to make some of the non dvc rooms available? there is a future for hotels, I wish I had the cash I would go after that Hyatt property, great location.

Last edited:

ULPO46

Original Poster
I was very careful not to spell out what the actual make-up of the people that are there, because, although there are many that did come to this country because of a belief that life is better, came here and found out that it really was, even if it meant living a one room motel room. The standard of living for a minimum wage job was much higher for them then what it was where they came from. The problem with most of us that were brought up in this country is the we are spoiled rotten. Low paying jobs to us are considered criminal and socially unacceptable, when to them it is the best they have ever lived. They aren't the ones committing the crimes either, they are working their butts of to have a better existence.

I have nothing but respect for those that come to this country because they believe that life will be better. They try hard to support themselves and because they are not used to this standard of living are convinced that the "establish American businessman" is not exploiting them, but, giving them a chance. We all know what is happening, but, we prefer to blame them for our problems and make it seem like they are doing something wrong. They are only trying to make a living and the obstacles that they face are the size of Everest. None of us would ever want to be taking their place, I can assure you.
Spot on. I have so many friends there and as a Latino and very compassionate towards sending aid when ever I can. i'm fluent in Portuguese, Catalan and Spanish which helps too. But I wish that area was cleaned up and made nicer for them. When I went this ast Christmas to visit, I always stop by the delicious Cuban and Puerto Rican restaurants. They are cheap and offer tons of options. Not to mention I love shopping for rare drinks that are only sold in Florida's Latin community unlike SoCal. I think times are changing for the better and although sometimes it breaks my heart to hear of families living out of cars, I know that a revitalization of that area will help bolster the economy. I'm proud to be a native Central Floridian. After all not to long ago it was my mom and dad living in those crappy motels and out of a car looking to succeed in Orlando.

ULPO46

Original Poster
I think their best bet is Disney continuing to up their prices beyond mid class folks and they have a market to appeal to again. dvc rooms are already max'd out from what I hear. they need more and may have to make some of the non dvc rooms available? there is a future for hotels, I wish I had the cash I would go after that Hyatt property, great location.
Defiantly, I think a lot of the managing companies are realizing this because lets face it the tickets went up, the resorts still cost as much, people will want to save some money and go stay offsite. If the offsiters can begin to offer a much better mode of transport to the parks, than that will do great for them. I don't have the stats chart but how many people normally rent cars anyways? I'd think it's more than 3/4 of all tourist, but I could be wrong never thought about it.

POLY LOVER

Defiantly, I think a lot of the managing companies are realizing this because lets face it the tickets went up, the resorts still cost as much, people will want to save some money and go stay offsite. If the offsiters can begin to offer a much better mode of transport to the parks, than that will do great for them. I don't have the stats chart but how many people normally rent cars anyways? I'd think it's more than 3/4 of all tourist, but I could be wrong never thought about it.

I think transportation to and from the parks is the key along with a nice place to stay. Either Osceola county or the hotels would need to form a coop to pay the costs to run the buses.

POLY LOVER

Spot on. I have so many friends there and as a Latino and very compassionate towards sending aid when ever I can. i'm fluent in Portuguese, Catalan and Spanish which helps too. But I wish that area was cleaned up and made nicer for them. When I went this ast Christmas to visit, I always stop by the delicious Cuban and Puerto Rican restaurants. They are cheap and offer tons of options. Not to mention I love shopping for rare drinks that are only sold in Florida's Latin community unlike SoCal. I think times are changing for the better and although sometimes it breaks my heart to hear of families living out of cars, I know that a revitalization of that area will help bolster the economy. I'm proud to be a native Central Floridian. After all not to long ago it was my mom and dad living in those crappy motels and out of a car looking to succeed in Orlando.

all people need is a chance and good things can happen.

POLY LOVER

If memory serves, the Hyatt operation folded around 2002-03, basically due to the post-9/11 crunch. Then Ramada gave it a shot, then Orlando Sun--arguably a downhill slide, and likely a case of progressively shallower pockets as a backstop. Looking up prices on LoopNet almost always yields a blank, but I think I recall a pricetag of $7M during the past year. That's quite a discount for 77 acres, and it begs the question of whether demolition is cost prohibitive for prospective buyers.

It was a surprise when the Publix closed back by Holiday Trail. That whole Xentury City area is another puzzler.

In case you didn't know PUBLIX built a brand new store on 192 in the Celebration Water Tower center. Very nice place to shop.

POLY LOVER

Maybe its time to pick up some cheap hotels and do some refurbs.

POLY LOVER: I think that's what the Osceola County brass are hoping for in Segment 2 of the W192 redevelopment. But if any developers can afford it, they're probably more inclined to build on vacant land, like the Magic Development project between Seralago Hotel and Elese Drive.

POLY LOVER

POLY LOVER: I think that's what the Osceola County brass are hoping for in Segment 2 of the W192 redevelopment. But if any developers can afford it, they're probably more inclined to build on vacant land, like the Magic Development project between Seralago Hotel and Elese Drive.

I'm not familair with that , whats going on there.

Tom Morrow

I would rather just get everything that's already there on 192 fixed up before adding anything new. Get rid of, or at least remodel all of the tacky gift shops, demolish all of the abandoned hotels and properties, etc.

POLY LOVER

I would rather just get everything that's already there on 192 fixed up before adding anything new. Get rid of, or at least remodel all of the tacky gift shops, demolish all of the abandoned hotels and properties, etc.[/QUOTE

. It could be a good starting point to spur more investments. I kind of like the gift shops and flea markets. The flea markets are pretty interesting.

I would rather just get everything that's already there on 192 fixed up before adding anything new...demolish all of the abandoned hotels and properties, etc.

Agreed! It's glaring when something like Magic Development is planned only a few blocks away from the stretch around the museum of military history--several properties that form a tight cluster of disuse. It's a fair guess that it's hard to track down multiple property owners and get them all to sell at a reasonable price. Once word of a buyer got out, they might all seek premium prices for buildings in poor condition. Easier to just clear some habitat and build fresh...repeat ad infinitum until there's nowhere left to build. Yikes!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom