US-192 Memories, Sucess, and Failure

NemoRocks78

Seized
I understand, yes I think there are some good things to come there. I like the new SUPER TAGRGET great store(clean bright etc) WAWA, ALDI, ROSIES BARBECUE, that will infuse some life and new stores should follow, They are also building something where the old pirate golf used to be.
Both SuperTargets on 192 are great. I did Black Friday last year at the Orange Lake one and had no issues. The area around that one is really nice. The shopping center outside of the other one could use some help. I miss the old A&W Drive-In there (I think it became an ice cream joint after, but now it sits there empty with an ugly green and purple exterior). The Wawa and Aldi look great by Walmart and Medieval Times, and I'm interested to see if Rosie's lasts. I've been wanting to try it. These are all improvements that will hopefully lead to more being made in the areas around them. That's what we all want to see!

wdwjmp239

I've stayed at a number of the motels and hotels on US-192 with the last and most recent (8 years ago - if you want to call that "recent") was the Royal Parc Suites ( http://www.royaleparcsuitesorlando.com/ ) with my parents as they wanted to go to Disney, but stay off-property as cheap as possible. This was a good idea at the time until we got to the room and saw it was not clean, there was mold on the walls, the room stunk, etc. My parents then got another room and this one was in better condition, but still, the condition this room was in - they should've checked out and gone to another hotel. They learned that sometimes cheap isn't always the best idea and if you want to go on a Disney vacation, cutting corners by saving a buck or two isn't necessarily the way to go.

wdwjmp239

I-Drive, at least from the Premium Outlets by Lake Buena Vista up through Sand Lake Road, is not a tourist trap and is probably one of the nicest spots in all of Orlando. Past Sand Lake through the other Premium Outlets near Universal, however, is a different story, but there seems to be steps being taken to turn it around as well.

The tacky shops and rundown attractions that line US-192 are textbook tourist trap.

International Drive is going through a rebirth right now with the new Orlando Eye ferris wheel and the entertainment district/shopping plaza that took place of the old Mercado shopping center from way back in the day.

POLY LOVER

Both SuperTargets on 192 are great. I did Black Friday last year at the Orange Lake one and had no issues. The area around that one is really nice. The shopping center outside of the other one could use some help. I miss the old A&W Drive-In there (I think it became an ice cream joint after, but now it sits there empty with an ugly green and purple exterior). The Wawa and Aldi look great by Walmart and Medieval Times, and I'm interested to see if Rosie's lasts. I've been wanting to try it. These are all improvements that will hopefully lead to more being made in the areas around them. That's what we all want to see!

don't miss El Tenapa mile marker 14 , doesn't look like much from the outside but you will love it, providing you are a Mexican food fan. Gets very busy on weekends.

POLY LOVER

International Drive is going through a rebirth right now with the new Orlando Eye ferris wheel and the entertainment district/shopping plaza that took place of the old Mercado shopping center from way back in the day.

I saw the giant Ferris wheel getting built but have not seen the finished product, looks cool.

NemoRocks78

Seized
don't miss El Tenapa mile marker 14 , doesn't look like much from the outside but you will love it, providing you are a Mexican food fan. Gets very busy on weekends.
I'll certainly have to check it out! Always down for a good Mexican joint and the reviews for that place look great.

ULPO46

Original Poster
Heres the History of I-Drive, from the infamous Wikipedia.

"The first section of I-Drive was laid out in the 1960s by attorney Finley Hamilton to serve his Hilton Inn South, opened in May 1970. He imagined that once Walt Disney World opened in October 1971, tourists would spot the hotel when traveling to the park along Interstate 4. "They called the hotel 'Finley's Folly' – everyone, all of my friends," Hamilton said. "They said it was in the boondocks. ...But it turned out to be highly successful. ...I came up with International Drive," he recalled, "because it sounded big and important." [1] International Drive was eventually extended to its current north point (where Prime Outlets is now) and southward past the Beachline Expressway.

The International Drive Master Transit and Improvement District was created in 1992 to provide growth management, transportation, and infrastructure development for the area with collaboration between the local governments and I-Drive businesses. One of the most critical projects presented to the organization is to create an efficient transportation system for tourists on the I-Drive strip; this prompted the creation of the I-Ride bus trolley system."

The Tuna

Does the Super Target sell fruits and Veggies by chance? I have to do some shopping and didn't know if they sold produce or not.

The Tuna

They do! SuperTargets have a great grocery selection.
Awesome thank you. I knew they had most everything else but the failed Canadian expansion we suffered through didn't have produce. Hard to compete with WalMart or other large grocery/clothing/everything else retailers when you don't have all of the offerings. I do miss Target.

POLY LOVER

I was impressed by the store, I went there on the chance they had an item i was looking for and no one else had and was surpised by the store. Now its a regular stop for many items including food items, and honestly compared to the WalMart I think its better quality.

MinnieWaffles

I love SuperTarget. They had the best selection of ice cream!

When we stayed in a house off the 192 we loved wandering around there of an evening.

ULPO46

Original Poster
I was impressed by the store, I went there on the chance they had an item i was looking for and no one else had and was surpised by the store. Now its a regular stop for many items including food items, and honestly compared to the WalMart I think its better quality.
Indeed you pay a lot more for the product, but it will be of a much higher quality.

POLY LOVER

Indeed you pay a lot more for the product, but it will be of a much higher quality.

I think thats were WalMart gets you, the price is cheapo but the quality is also. A friend once told me they make the same products but to sell to WalMart you have to eliminate certain functions or reduce the quality to meet the wholesale prices the want to pay. You may pick up a microwave at WalMart advertised at $89.00 but you can't find that same model elsewhere, another store will have it for slighly more but it will have more functons. Like they say you get what you pay for.

ULPO46

Original Poster
I think thats were WalMart gets you, the price is cheapo but the quality is also. A friend once told me they make the same products but to sell to WalMart you have to eliminate certain functions or reduce the quality to meet the wholesale prices the want to pay. You may pick up a microwave at WalMart advertised at $89.00 but you can't find that same model elsewhere, another store will have it for slighly more but it will have more functons. Like they say you get what you pay for.
So true. I think that's why any smart tourist won't mind driving a little bit longer to pick up groceries and better items than offered on resort property. But alas not everyone rents a car or drove to the World, so it makes it a little more expensive. I remember when I was little we'd drive out to Publix before going to the park and pick up their sandwiches and then drive to the park's and eat at a bench or someplace nice. My favorite spot was the terrace near Tomorrowland! In essence if you are on an economic trip, your best bet is to go and eat out of the resort the closest and least crowded places will be all around the 192 corridor. Yes not all will be the cleanest most expensive restaurants, but in the long run you will have a delicious meal. For the best bang for your buck for a steakhouse, you can never go wrong with Longhorn, it always has had the same quality and you will always leave satisfied, but as all restaurants, you want to go early instead of late as the cooks and waiters get tired and the quality diminishes as they finish preparing the final cuts of beef, chicken, and pork of the night.

POLY LOVER

So true. I think that's why any smart tourist won't mind driving a little bit longer to pick up groceries and better items than offered on resort property. But alas not everyone rents a car or drove to the World, so it makes it a little more expensive. I remember when I was little we'd drive out to Publix before going to the park and pick up their sandwiches and then drive to the park's and eat at a bench or someplace nice. My favorite spot was the terrace near Tomorrowland! In essence if you are on an economic trip, your best bet is to go and eat out of the resort the closest and least crowded places will be all around the 192 corridor. Yes not all will be the cleanest most expensive restaurants, but in the long run you will have a delicious meal. For the best bang for your buck for a steakhouse, you can never go wrong with Longhorn, it always has had the same quality and you will always leave satisfied, but as all restaurants, you want to go early instead of late as the cooks and waiters get tired and the quality diminishes as they finish preparing the final cuts of beef, chicken, and pork of the night.

I thinks it fun to do that sometime, it make it a bit special. I do have fond memorys of doing that kind f thing with the kids. Just as an FYI they built a new Publix near Celebration on 192, very nice store clean , bright and they give out samples in each department as you walk around. Nice touch.

Retroman40

In general I avoid 192 like the plague (although El Tepana is a great restaurant). Just too much traffic and too depressing for the most part. I hope the county can do something but I'm not holding my breath. Osceola Parkway between the Turnpike and the Shingle Creek toll plaza is no longer a quick way around 192 traffic either as it continues to be developed (not tourist stuff though). To avoid traffic you have to use 417.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom