Upcoming/Rumored Projects

EPCOT Explorer

Some notes on Star Tours 2.0 courtesy of Jim Hill.

The ride has a capacity 2400 people per hour, and that probably won't change
Rumored to be an Admiral Akbar hologram in the cabin
Frank Oz has recorded the voice of Yoda
To open in Disneyland by 2010
They may delay in WDW until 2011 for the 40th.
Ride may be shortened

Enjoying most of this, but not that shortened thing. I have heard otherwise/nothing on that, though.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
Enjoying most of this, but not that shortened thing. I have heard otherwise/nothing on that, though.

Don't get too excited, I'll post a lot of Jim Hill rumors on here, but until it's announced by Disney, most of his rumors have varying degrees of accuracy. Normally they come from legit sources, but his reputation is that he posts things as green lit, 100% guarantees, when the reality is most of these things didn't get that far in development.

For the most part, I'll post his rumors on here in hopes that one or more of our other insiders will confirm or refute what he has said.

WDW1974

I'm with you on the Eride nights - very nice indeed. Yes there was a cost, but for us it was a once per trip deal, and it genuinly was like having the park to yourself, nothing like EMH. $10 well spent.

yeah, but the cost to all guests was truly priceless ... especially on summer nights when they kicked everyone out at 9 or 10 and then added the cost for those RESORT guests willing to pay the extra fee.

tirian

There really isn't a way to underestimate management at WDW.

As to the economy, if you think things are going to get better you're in for a long wait ... might start thinking about the 50th and not the 40th.

I don't believe WDW can wait for things to improve. They need to bite the bullet and invest and on a large scale.

They've been way too conservative with spending (and irresponsible at the same time as they've invested in the wrong projects spearheaded by the wrong people and it's bitten them in the arses over and over again).

...which is why no matter how many people they shuffle around, and even if Phil Holmes would retire tomorrow, nothing matters as long as Rasulo stays in charge.

The man knows how to increase profits, he knows how to look good on a spreadsheet, and he knows how to run a marketing campaign. But his actions prove the man has no concept of long-term returns on investment, and that means he doesn't know how to operate resorts.

He's a marketing guru; Disney could legitimately move him over to a marketing position and get him away from divisions that require product knowledge. :lol:

tirian

Food for Thought:

Back in 2005, Disney announced it wasn't adding anything to the MK until the entire park had been refurbished. An accelerated refurb schedule was tossed around but never actually finalized, and four years later, we're still waiting on the promised refurbs. Space could have been done already. JC could have been done already. Fantasyland and ToonTown could be under construction now.

Yet none of it has been done except a half-baked PotC relaunch, an amazing HM reboot, and some façade/store refurbs/openings.

The stuff is on its way, but it's slow as molasses.

TP2000

Food for Thought:

Back in 2005, Disney announced it wasn't adding anything to the MK until the entire park had been refurbished. An accelerated refurb schedule was tossed around but never actually finalized, and four years later, we're still waiting on the promised refurbs. Space could have been done already. JC could have been done already. Fantasyland and ToonTown could be under construction now.

Yet none of it has been done except a half-baked PotC relaunch, an amazing HM reboot, and some façade/store refurbs/openings.

Really? Disney "announced" this refurbishment plan? And they "promised" this to us as customers? Really?

I don't remember reading any press release on that at all. Nor do I remember hearing a Michael Eisner or Jay Rasulo interview where that was discussed. And I don't think anyone would use words like "promise", even if there was such an announcement, which I can't recall happening anyway.

Not trying to pick on you, and perhaps you have some inside info where this was a legit plan moving through the approval processes, and that insider info is what you are referring to as an "announcement". But I don't think this park-wide refurbishment announcement was made to the public in '05, or at any time.

Again, not trying to argue, but it seems with the language you used that we are holding Orlando management to an agreement they never really made in the first place. :)

DonMuppetFan83

I may also be in the minority here, but im fine with them just fixing the current SM where its needed. Im not a huge fan of coasters, but I ride everything at all 4 WDW parks and Whats at Uni for the moment. I just wish they would speed up the rehabbing on all the projects.

I mean would it be nice to have a brand new track layout, yes it would, but no matter how much I complain about it, I will still ride this ride. Im a hypocrite. So instead of complaing about something on here, that no one imporant who is in upper management in Disney will read, We may as well just hope for the best and once it reopens we can finally find out what was really done. Until now its all just speculation with a tad bit of info here and a tad bit of info there.

Not picking a fight, just my two cents on this subject.

As aside, I am really hoping we get the Star Tours 2.0 here and soon. I dont know if its 100 percent confirmed, reading through this thread and others has me confused, but I am a huge Star Wars and sci-fi fan. A nerd you may say lol. Although I play football and dress the furthest thing from it. Appearances can be deceiving lol. Anyways, As my girlfriend and I share a even more special bond with we happened to meet through a "Disney type event", I will ride whatever and whever with here lol. It keeps us both happy, and I can tolerate the drops.

I havent yet rode ToT but we are going on the 28th of this month for SWW and I am being forced to go on lol.

Ok im done ranting, just thought id throw my ideas out there.

tirian

Not trying to pick on you, and perhaps you have some inside info where this was a legit plan moving through the approval processes, and that insider info is what you are referring to as an "announcement". But I don't think this park-wide refurbishment announcement was made to the public in '05, or at any time.

Again, not trying to argue, but it seems with the language you used that we are holding Orlando management to an agreement they never really made in the first place. :)

It was announced to CMs through the portal and printed materials—they didn't release a press statement to the public. A statement made to 60,000 Florida CMs alone certainly qualifies as an "announcement."

You don't want to know how many times projects were nearly greenlit, only to be dropped again. :(

jmmc

I just wanted to chime in here, I find it interesting that people seem to equate new attractions with WDW being good or being cared for. I visit often, and always like to see new things, but if classic, favorite rides get refurbished, can we at least appreciate that. People seem to want new monorails, new coasters, a fifth park...

I always like to see new things but with the way the economy is, I think it's lucky that they can refurbish, never mind new rides.

All that said, there's no excuse for letting old rides not be updated, painted or anything. And I hate half-done, sloppy attractions as much as anyone.

tirian

I just wanted to chime in here, I find it interesting that people seem to equate new attractions with WDW being good or being cared for. I visit often, and always like to see new things, but if classic, favorite rides get refurbished, can we at least appreciate that. People seem to want new monorails, new coasters, a fifth park...

I always like to see new things but with the way the economy is, I think it's lucky that they can refurbish, never mind new rides.

All that said, there's no excuse for letting old rides not be updated, painted or anything. And I hate half-done, sloppy attractions as much as anyone.

Good point. Back in 2005, I agreed with the sentiment that the classics needed to be updated and restored before any new construction took place. But now that the refurbs have begun, and now that the PotC one was just half-finished (and Space Mt. isn't getting a full job), and now that everyone has realized how just one E-ticket refurb drastically affects the rest of the park, the MK needs a new attraction ASAP.

IMHO, I don't think anyone realized how going 12 years without adding a substantial attraction to the world's most visited theme park was going to make the MK a Guest flow madhouse each time an E-ticket closed for refurbishment. They know now. :rolleyes:

SirGoofy

IMHO, I don't think anyone realized how going 12 years without adding a substantial attraction to the world's most visited theme park was going to make the MK a Guest flow madhouse each time an E-ticket closed for refurbishment. They know now. :rolleyes:

12? Isn't it almost 20? What am I forgetting?

Race3qma

New rumor

I have been reading this page for a while and looking for a rumor I heard from a cast member that help us when we won the night in the castle so it has been a while. He told us a rumor of a coaster in the MK in AL called the Black Pearl. Any one heard this one:king::shrug:

SirGoofy

I have been asking around...does anyone know if Disney World is going to get Disney characters in It's A Small World?

Hasn't been mentioned, and I doubt there's a plan to refurb Small World again, I mean it was only down 6 years ago.:rolleyes:

But personally, I would love for it to happen.

Hasn't been mentioned, and I doubt there's a plan to refurb Small World again, I mean it was only down 6 years ago.:rolleyes:

But personally, I would love for it to happen.

I agree. I really like what they did with Disneyland.

And how could wold it be if they changed Tom Sawyer's island into a New orleans theme? I would love that!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom