Upcoming/Rumored Projects

WDW1974

Sorry for posting like a broken record but at least I always try to say the same things in new ways. Test Track and MS are as "bare bones" as you can get. Test track takes place in what amounts to an empty warehouse with so few show elements you can almost count them on your fingers. The show elements that are there are mostly cutouts and the same old environmental effects we've seen elsewhere. There is so little effort to immerse you in an action, fantasy or any other "themed" environment" that would normally make the difference between a Disney ride and most others. How many ways can you say that there is so little in this ride to enjoy other than the occasional speed sequence? Yea I get it, that is the theme. What a great way to save money because you already blew your budget on the ride system. The conversations went something like this; "Let's just sell them on the idea that this is supposed to be really industrial and you are supposed to be in a warehouse because this is a testing facility." The real proving grounds are much more interesting than this insipid excuse for a ride.

Having a cutting-edge ride system is nice but what good is that without the show to complement it? Case in point - compare Indiana Jones with its new (at the time) EMV technology to Countdown to Extinction. That is a good example of how much the show means to the overall experience.

The sad thing is I don't know how much people get it or don't.

Clearly, they do get quality or no one would line up for things like Mansion, Splash, ToT, KS etc ... while not lining up for crap like Imagination 3.0, Tiki Room, Aladdin spinner, SGE etc ... but there does seem to be a line ... a disconnect, if you will, where crap still works IF it has thrills or is perceived that way.

Because while TT has a kewl ride system, as an attraction it absolutely blows and yet it is one of the most popular WDW attractions. MS has an even kewler thrill element, yet is largely wasted, but is still popular (although not nearly as much as Disney hoped/planned/expected).

CaptainMichael

And DAK After Dark was a major project (led by Rivers of Light) that was killed (after a lot of money was spent) when Jay Rasulo began pushing his boutique animal park idea.

The potential for a DAK After Dark type promotion is amazing, and it's a shame it's being held back by Night Kingdom which will hopefully never get built (one benefit of a bad economy).

Why build a night Animal Kingdom when you already have one that sits empty?

~fire Jay Rasulo plz~

WDW1974

I'm surely not one of those.
E-Ride nights > EMH
Late closing > E-Ride

Sigh....I really miss E-Ride nights.:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, good old E-Ride nights (that were originally called E-Ticket nights and then changed for some legal reason).

The biggest screwjob in Disney's history.

Take a park that was open until midnight, 1 or 2 a.m. to ALL guests and close it at 9 or 10 (at least in summer when it was started before moving to other seasons) and then CHARGE resort guests an extra $12 a person to spend three hours with access to nine attractions.

And people ate it up and acted like it was something special and great.

Funny how when ex-WDW management tried the same experiment at DL it lasted all of a handful of nights (many with fewer than 300 people in the park) before dying a rightful death.

Lee

Adventurer
And people ate it up and acted like it was something special and great.

Special and great only in comparison to what we have now.
At least on E-Ride nights they would cap the number of guests allowed in. I enjoyed many nights of walk-on attractions, and the joys of telling the CM at unload at Splash or Big Thunder "I'm just gonna stay on a few more times.":D

WDW1974

At least on E-Ride nights they would cap the number of guests allowed in. I enjoyed many nights of walk-on attractions, and the joys of telling the CM at unload at Splash or Big Thunder "I'm just gonna stay on a few more times.":D

Yep. But I look at from the POV of what's best for all/most guests.

I've been at MK for some private parties and they were just amazing. Anyone who had been wouldn't want to experience it another way ... but 99.9% of people will never get that experience (being handed free champagne as you walk down a red carpet down the center of Main Street can't be beat!).

And you can sometimes luck out and get a special experience when the park is open and even fairly crowded ... like when I was the ONLY person riding PoC a few months ago while Spectro performed.

whylightbulb

The sad thing is I don't know how much people get it or don't.

Clearly, they do get quality or no one would line up for things like Mansion, Splash, ToT, KS etc ... while not lining up for crap like Imagination 3.0, Tiki Room, Aladdin spinner, SGE etc ... but there does seem to be a line ... a disconnect, if you will, where crap still works IF it has thrills or is perceived that way.

Because while TT has a kewl ride system, as an attraction it absolutely blows and yet it is one of the most popular WDW attractions. MS has an even kewler thrill element, yet is largely wasted, but is still popular (although not nearly as much as Disney hoped/planned/expected).
Yea I couldn't agree more. It's almost like adding a thrill sequence to any ride, even if it was Journey into Anti-Imagination, puts most guests in a mind control state where no matter what else you present them with, that ride is going to be top-notch. I think that might be a nice solution to the JII problem: redesign the vehicle chasis, add a lift and a drop at the end of the ride and people will then line up for hours to ride it.

plutoismyhero

I have done that at EMH.......i dont see why people dont like it just cause there are too many people i mean if ur staying on property it means you can go to the park from say 9 am til 3 am now i know no one with the exception of a few:wave:would do that. That is more then enough time to do everything at the parks, and like i said earlier there have been times at EMH where we have just said let us go around one more time.

Rototom

The memories of e-ride nights bring a tear to my eye. There is nothing like riding Big Thunder several times in a row without getting off.

puntagordabob

Not really getting into the middle of this... BUT I would like to point out that there are people who love the Tiki Room (well the Disneyland version of it, not the current WDW one), and Journey into Imagination (yes I agree bringing Dreamfinder back would be welcomed!)..... Im not a fan of riding Roller Coasters or being dropped in ToT's elevators, but I recognize there are a lot of people who do. The Tiki Room in Disneyland does pretty well...and from what I have been told from CM's it is doing great with attendance.

Different strokes for different folks.... Disney has something for everyone....Thank God for Disney!

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
Some notes on Star Tours 2.0 courtesy of Jim Hill.

The ride has a capacity 2400 people per hour, and that probably won't change
Rumored to be an Admiral Akbar hologram in the cabin
Frank Oz has recorded the voice of Yoda
To open in Disneyland by 2010
They may delay in WDW until 2011 for the 40th.
Ride may be shortened

jt04

Ride may be shortened

That was part of the discredited miceage rumor.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

Ride may be shortened

The first and last bullets contradict one another, unless you think Disney will actually let some ride vehicles sit vacant between cycles, which makes no sense.

Also, the first bullet is confusing as I believe there are 4 simulators at Disneyland and 6 at DHS, so they actually have different capacities.

The Conundrum

Ride may be shortened

I dont see it on the site. Link?

and what the hell at the ride being shortened....Its already too short!!! I will be one angry panda if that rumor is true :mad:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

I'm with you on the Eride nights - very nice indeed. Yes there was a cost, but for us it was a once per trip deal, and it genuinly was like having the park to yourself, nothing like EMH. $10 well spent.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
I thought the same thing when he said that they would keep the same capacity and then possibly shorten the ride. He also mentioned that the 2400 capacity was for WDW, citing the number of cabs in Disneyland vs. WDW. He did not offer up an explanation as to how the capacity would remain the same if the ride was shortened. I can only speculate that perhaps the number of seats per vehicle would decrease? All this info came from the Magical Definition Podcast, and was covered within the first 10 minutes or so.

I've never been a big Star Wars, Star Tours or Simulator fan, so I'd be surprised if I've been on this ride 10 times. I went on back in December, and it was a decent attraction for a simulator, but it didn't wow me with anything. The hologram definitely intrigues me, if it's something like what Universal does at Disaster, that could be really impressive.

The Conundrum

Ride may be shortened

Where are you guys seeing this on the site????

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom