Upcoming/Rumored Projects

DisneyPrincess5

Updated to include latest Jim Hill rumors:

-Fantasyland makeover to all dark rides except it's a small world
-Includes increased capacity to Peter Pan's Flight

-Monster's Inc Scare Coaster

-Big Thunder Mountain Refurbishment on the level of Space Mountain refurbishment

Also moved Stitch's Supersonic Celebration and Characters in Flight to "Recently Completed"

Woohoo :sohappy:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Believe me, once the economy improves you will see a large assortment of projects over the coming. One that was currently planned till the drop in economy was adding an overlooking restaurant in the old skyway building in Tomorrowland.

Heard about this (no doubt on rumor thread around here). Sounds like a great idea, although it surprised me a little, as I had through that there was a future project in consideration that would demand the destruction of the old skyway building. I won't hold my breath for anything, but I'm hopeful like everybody else.

SirGoofy

How would the mermaid ride be an E ticket...i thought it was suppose to be a dark ride and arent they all D tickets technically

Oi vey. No. HM is most definitely an E. As is POTC. At least in Disneyland.

Mermaid will be a 100 million dollar attraction filled with AAs and show scenes, which means E ticket.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
How would the mermaid ride be an E ticket...i thought it was suppose to be a dark ride and arent they all D tickets technically

Without getting into the "what as an E-Ticket" debate, the Little Mermaid ride in DCA will have a budget in the $100 million range apparently. This is supposed to be a clone of that. It will be a long dark ride that will go through all of the songs from the movie. It will probably be substantially longer than the Finding Nemo and Toy Story Mania dark rides, be largely animatronic driven, and I've heard it will be in the 8-10 minute range. I'm sure someone else on here could provide more info, or confirm this.

EPCOT Explorer

Mermaid will be a 100 million dollar attraction filled with AAs and show scenes, which means E ticket.

Oi? You mean OY!:lol::lol::lookaroun

I think AA's are starting to become the standard for E Tic's seeing they re used so sparingly.:rolleyes:

Lee

Adventurer
Fantasyland makeover - more likely now than it has been

Monsters coaster - coming soon.

Big Thunder - been on the list for over a year. Should be good.

Peter Pan - likely new vehicles, if DL's work out well.

SirGoofy

Fantasyland makeover - more likely now than it has been

Monsters coaster - coming soon.

Big Thunder - been on the list for over a year. Should be good.

Peter Pan - likely new vehicles, if DL's work out well.

1) Excellent

2) I'm hoping for some big things

3)Good to see one of my favorites get some love.

4):D

If these things are done well...I will be appeased.

JWG

Adding Ride-n-go Seek (Monster's) seems like a no brainer since all the development cost is done.

plutoismyhero

I understand what you mean but i have seen books where Peter pan is D ticket and so is snow white and Mr. toad wild ride.....so just cause it is a dark ride....at least to me....dosent mean it is automatically an E ticket.....is its "ticket" just based on how much the ride costs to build.

SirGoofy

I understand what you mean but i have seen books where Peter pan is D ticket and so is snow white and Mr. toad wild ride.....so just cause it is a dark ride....at least to me....dosent mean it is automatically an E ticket.....is its "ticket" just based on how much the ride costs to build.

No, there's a lot that goes into the classification. Money is one. Size and scope is the biggest, IMO. Haunted Mansion is a dark ride that is an E. So was the original JII. It's all about size and scope. And LM will have plenty of both.

TalkingHead

No, there's a lot that goes into the classification. Money is one. Size and scope is the biggest, IMO. Haunted Mansion is a dark ride that is an E. So was the original JII. It's all about size and scope. And LM will have plenty of both.

Do you think if WDW had Summer Nightastic coming up (or anything substantial for that matter), every thread would revert to a discussion of what qualifies as an E-ticket?

Arch Angel

Banned
Alot of ppl in this thread seem to be under the impression that Disney is planning to and actually cares to invest in new attractions at the park and that is simply not the case. Disney would rather use the money to pimpout the Jonas Bros and hannah montanna or concentrate on synergy between divisions.

As far as the parks divison goes, as long as DVC is selling and the parks are doing halfway decent business nobody is going to be adding a thing to the park. Even during the decade long bubble WDW didn't really get anything of substance. Sure E:E looks very nice but the ride itself is lacking, soarin was a clone job, and the rest of the things added were either small cartoon overlays (nemo, stitch, buzz) or bare bones thrill rides (mission space, test track). (On a positive note, I will say that Animal Kingdom Lodge was well done but thats not an attraction.)

So I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you folks. The only reason Tokyo gets active investment is because the OLC managers truely care about the parks. The Walt Disney company does not.

The only reason Disneyland/DCA resort is getting anything is simply because of a change of luck in the past five years. First they got a very good president (Matt Ouimet) who petitioned for investments and refurbishments for the parks, then the 50th. turned out to be an enormous success proving that the resort is still profitable. DCA was still a disaster and something had to be done about it. Finally, after the Pixar buyout John Lasseter came aboard and took an interest in imagineering and specifically Disneyland. Together with the top imagineer Tony Baxter they are pushing alot of things through for the resort that normally wouldn't have happened.

But the same luck won't befall the other resorts, especially WDW. Like many have said for WDW its going to require everyone's participation to boycott/letter write/actively complain to the company to get their attention and motivate them to improve the resort. That's just the way it is.

WDW1974

Do you think if WDW had Summer Nightastic coming up (or anything substantial for that matter), every thread would revert to a discussion of what qualifies as an E-ticket?

I thought every thread was about triangles on SSE, the AC or an ugly stage being built for Stitch's Latest Overexposure Show.

I also hate the name Nightastic (only a marketing dweeb would like it). DL After Dark sounds so much better (and they've used it before) ... or even Magical Summer Nights.

But your point is well taken. WDW isn't doing anything exciting at all right now that's new (unless you plan a trip around a kareoke contest or another Toy Story themed shoot em up or more timeshares).

Thrill Seeker

Alot of ppl in this thread seem to be under the impression that Disney is planning to and actually cares to invest in new attractions at the park and that is simply not the case. Disney would rather use the money to pimpout the Jonas Bros and hannah montanna or concentrate on synergy between divisions.

As far as the parks divison goes, as long as DVC is selling and the parks are doing halfway decent business nobody is going to be adding a thing to the park. Even during the decade long bubble WDW didn't really get anything of substance. Sure E:E looks very nice but the ride itself is lacking, soarin was a clone job, and the rest of the things added were either small cartoon overlays (nemo, stitch, buzz) or bare bones thrill rides (mission space, test track). (On a positive note, I will say that Animal Kingdom Lodge was well done but thats not an attraction.)

So I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you folks. The only reason Tokyo gets active investment is because the OLC managers truely care about the parks. The Walt Disney company does not.

The only reason Disneyland/DCA resort is getting anything is simply because of a change of luck in the past five years. First they got a very good president (Matt Ouimet) who petitioned for investments and refurbishments for the parks, then the 50th. turned out to be an enormous success proving that the resort is still profitable. DCA was still a disaster and something had to be done about it. Finally, after the Pixar buyout John Lasseter came aboard and took an interest in imagineering and specifically Disneyland. Together with the top imagineer Tony Baxter they are pushing alot of things through for the resort that normally wouldn't have happened.

But the same luck won't befall the other resorts, especially WDW. Like many have said for WDW its going to require everyone's participation to boycott/letter write/actively complain to the company to get their attention and motivate them to improve the resort. That's just the way it is.

Way to be super negative... :fork:
I do admit that you did bring up some good points, but I wouldn't say that Disney is completely neglecting WDW. It makes them a lot of money and they want to keep up in the busy Orlando tourism district.

To comment on a few of your criticisms, Test Track and Mission Space are NOT bare bones thrill rides. Both of them were state of the art when they opened and a lot of time and effort went into developing the ride systems for each one. Stitch and Nemo were fairly cheep overlays of existing attractions but Buzz Lightyear was not. The omnimover ride system is the same for the most part but it was the first (at least to my knowledge) shooting gallery style ride to ever come out.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you underestimate WDW's management. I think they have something up their sleeves for the 40th and due to these rumors constantly being brought up, it seems likely that these are the projects that will come into action once the economy picks up. I'm looking forward to a promising future of WDW...

WDW1974

I disagree in part with that. Disney IS planning on adding new attractions to all its parks, including the four in WDW. And from a corporate standpoint, they do care about where the money is spent and how it is.

Now, if you want to argue they've done a pi$$-poor job in FLA over the past decade with how they choose to spend or not spend on, well ... that's another matter.

Can't believe I'm going to defend Disney management, but here goes ... WDW has seen many things of substance added over the past decade. Although much of the money has been wasted IMHO. Just go to the Imagination pavilion and look around and realize that between $70-80 million has been spent since they destroyed the first classic ride and closed the second level. So, you can argue that much of what they've done sucks (and I wouldn't disagree) but you can't say money was spent.

And at the risk of another endless debate on EE, it is a very nice attraction when it is operating with all its effects. The fact it never is speaks to issues with both WDI and DAK Ops. And Soarin may be a clone, and the film may have bigger dustbunnies than my recently cleaned closet had after a decade of being largely untouched ... but it is quality and it is hugely successful.

But I don't want to argue the post because I do agree in large part ... but money was spent. Just taking EE, TT, MS, and Soarin alone you are talking over $500 million ... as scary as that may be.

Again. Not quite so simple.

Both OLC and TWDC management care about their parks. TWDC just doesn't care about upholding the standards that made it without peer in the themed entertainment business. OLC still does. They believe you grow your business by doing the best you can, constantly adding new attractions and seasonal entertainment. TWDC believes you grow the business by resting on past reputation while shoving marketing campaigns down the collective throats of the masses.

TDR just set an attendance record for last year ... and the economy in Japan was/is awful too. Oh, and they did do without firing anyone or offering 40% discounts on rooms and free gift cards or food.

So again, you decide what company is running its parks in a smarter way.

DCA was terribly conceived and executed. But if you look at the big picture you'll realize that Al Lutz's 'heroin monkey' has been behind the more important and large scale success of both the DLR and the Anaheim/Garden Grove Resort area. It paved the way for the hugely successful redo of the entire area as well as the urban renewal in what had been a very scary place beyond the berm.

Oh, and let's leave celeb Imagineer/fanboi fave Tony Baxter out of the DCA equation. He is strictly dealing with DL projects now. Bob Weis (who designed the Disney-MGM Studios as well as two parks that never made it off the drawing board -- Disney-MGM Europe and Disney's America) is riding herd on the DCA redo.

Boycotts don't work. Ask all those religious wackos who had an issue because Disney actually treats its gay employees as equal to its straight ones.

Letters, phone calls, emails to the right folks with well-thought out, intelligent, articulate complaints or concerns CAN make a difference.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom