Upcoming/Rumored Projects

novawildcat18

Is it something we would see under construction or any work done by the end of this year?
I would think/hope that they do it sooner rather than later because the mermaids were in the most forgettable Pirates movie so far and I think that the more time passes, the more the general public will forget about the movie and the mermaids.

Jakester

IMO, TSI shouldn't be replaced/removed, but just given a nice refurb, add a new experience over there, and reopen aunt pollys.
I went over there July 3rd, and one of the tunnels smelled moldyo_O

bubbles1812

oh cool, the Hatbox Ghost would be a neat addition to THM. provided they find it first. ;)

NO MERMAIDS IN PIRATES! NO!

ok, Jungle Cruise definitely needs refurbishment, and Tom Sawyer's gotta change to something else.

why Brazil? i mean why not put in Greece, where they have Disney representation?

thank god for Sounds Dangerous going, and even tho i wanted Narnia to go, they're replacing it with an even more undeserving movie. i mean if its a behind the scenes of all the Pirates movies then go for it, but...

NO TAKING AWAY BEAUTY AND THE BEAST SHOWa! NO!

unless the contract with Universal end soon, no Marvel attraction for a long time.

Great Movie Ride should change to a look back to classic and breakthrough movies instead of a look at a bunch of MGM films

Australia was my choice in Epcot, but Animal Kingdom is fine, it fits better actually

I'd say they'd consider Brazil just because they don't have much South American representation in World Showcase. And Brazil is a pretty cool place even if the tour groups from there are a wee bit annoying at times ;). They could go in so many different directions with a pavilion and they could make a ride of something like traveling down the Amazon. But I know I'm totally dreaming there. Greece makes a lot of sense too and they could bring out Hercules/Meg/Goat-man I can't remember the name of. And Greece does have some awesome food so hopefully we'd at least get a decent restaurant out of a Greece Pavilion. But Greece is broke and I don't think their people would really go for the government even minorly contributing monetarily to something like that. Just my 2 cents

Agreed. I think there is about as much as a snowball's chance in hell that Universal ends that contract any time soon. The value of that contract has risen so much in recent years given Marvel's successes. I can't imagine the price tag that Uni would tell Disney they'd have to be and Disney hasn't exactly given the impression they want to spend tons (in the relative sense) on major projects in recent years.

And I'm not sure what you are getting at there with wanting to change Great Movie Ride so drastically. I think the ride needs a refurb and could maybe use some new scenes but I'd hate to see any of what they have now go. The majority of the scenes are classic movies...if Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, Mary Poppins, Singin' in the Rain, Alien, Raiders of the Lost Ark, ect aren't classics, I don't know what is. They are still being enjoyed today after 30+ years since release. Yeah, they are MGM centered but still classics. It's the reason why the ride still holds up relatively well, at least from the standpoint of the movies represented. And I kind of like that it's still a reflection of the park's beginnings as MGM

NoChesterHester

We all have a fascination with ancient Greece, but modern Greece is an utter mess. I think we crave Greek mythology as a pavillion way more than the country being represented in Epcot.

Cosmic Commando

What Norway really needs is a new film - and to reconfigure the queue so the film is a pre show, not a post show.

What Malestrom really needs is another 300 feet of flume length. Now that would be a waste of resources.
Make the movie its own attraction. I think it's at least as good as Impressions de France. Let the people ride who want to ride, and let the people watch a movie who want to watch a movie.

Or....... replace the movie with something like this. The fjords were made by glacial activity like Niagara Falls.

bubbles1812

We all have a fascination with ancient Greece, but modern Greece is an utter mess. I think we crave Greek mythology as a pavillion way more than the country being represented in Epcot.
Agree. If they ever did make a pavilion, for it to be a success, I'd say they'd need to heavily pull from Ancient Greece...though I guess that wouldn't exactly keep with the theme of World Showcase. But even if they just put in a film, I'd much rather see one about Ancient Greece and all the mythology than anything about modern Greece. Though it's still a gorgeous country in many ways, all their monuments are crumbling from pollution (the damage to the Acropolis has been so sad to watch, even with the restoration they just did) and socially/politically it's a disaster right now. Not something anyone really wants to watch film wise.

J03Y

I'd say they'd consider Brazil just because they don't have much South American representation in World Showcase. And Brazil is a pretty cool place even if the tour groups from there are a wee bit annoying at times ;). They could go in so many different directions with a pavilion and they could make a ride of something like traveling down the Amazon. But I know I'm totally dreaming there. Greece makes a lot of sense too and they could bring out Hercules/Meg/Goat-man I can't remember the name of. And Greece does have some awesome food so hopefully we'd at least get a decent restaurant out of a Greece Pavilion. But Greece is broke and I don't think their people would really go for the government even minorly contributing monetarily to something like that. Just my 2 cents

Agreed. I think there is about as much as a snowball's chance in hell that Universal ends that contract any time soon. The value of that contract has risen so much in recent years given Marvel's successes. I can't imagine the price tag that Uni would tell Disney they'd have to be and Disney hasn't exactly given the impression they want to spend tons (in the relative sense) on major projects in recent years.

And I'm not sure what you are getting at there with wanting to change Great Movie Ride so drastically. I think the ride needs a refurb and could maybe use some new scenes but I'd hate to see any of what they have now go. The majority of the scenes are classic movies...if Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, Mary Poppins, Singin' in the Rain, Alien, Raiders of the Lost Ark, ect aren't classics, I don't know what is. They are still being enjoyed today after 30+ years since release. Yeah, they are MGM centered but still classics. It's the reason why the ride still holds up relatively well, at least from the standpoint of the movies represented. And I kind of like that it's still a reflection of the park's beginnings as MGM

1) for Brazil: i guess i could look at it that way, my original (and totally stereotypical) thought process was "why? they have Mexico, they don't need Brazil!" but then it just became more of a "why Brazil, when they have more countries with Disney representatives like Hercules in Greece, so on.

2) Great Movie Ride: true, but there are other scenes that don't really show you movies and are just fillers in between the ones you mentioned, like the gangster scene, the western scene (although that one is iffy), Tarzan and Fantasia. replacing those would be fine, but obviously keep the highlights of the ride. and the Aliens scene was creepy when i was a child, and it's creepy now. it'd be better to have a scene like this split between sci-fi (Star Wars) and horror (like Halloween or something).

Stupido

As for rumors, has there been any more talk about the old rumor of adding Mermaids to the Pirates ride? I remember a couple months ago that was a huge thing, I believe I even remember seeing Lee say they were built and tested in water. (Please don't kill me if I only imagined that.) But ever since then, the rumor kinda just dropped. Any updates?

J03Y

As for rumors, has there been any more talk about the old rumor of adding Mermaids to the Pirates ride? I remember a couple months ago that was a huge thing, I believe I even remember seeing Lee say they were built and tested in water. (Please don't kill me if I only imagined that.) But ever since then, the rumor kinda just dropped. Any updates?

i hope they don't honestly. adding Jack Sparrow was one thing, but mermaids change the purpose of the ride itself. it makes it seem magical, but it's supposed to be gruesome and terrifying and then they show you the actions that resulted in the first scene.

bubbles1812

1) for Brazil: i guess i could look at it that way, my original (and totally stereotypical) thought process was "why? they have Mexico, they don't need Brazil!" but then it just became more of a "why Brazil, when they have more countries with Disney representatives like Hercules in Greece, so on.

2) Great Movie Ride: true, but there are other scenes that don't really show you movies and are just fillers in between the ones you mentioned, like the gangster scene, the western scene (although that one is iffy), Tarzan and Fantasia. replacing those would be fine, but obviously keep the highlights of the ride. and the Aliens scene was creepy when i was a child, and it's creepy now. it'd be better to have a scene like this split between sci-fi (Star Wars) and horror (like Halloween or something).

I would say no to a Star Wars addition only because they already have Star Tours...though I give you that at least the original trilogy is definitely a classic. I would be so sad though if they got rid of the Alien scene though. It is creepy, but for me it's creepy in a good way. And I love the movie and the first sequel to it. Such well done movies and you could make the argument that it was a game changer in a sense. I'm not sure the same could be said of Halloween on the horror side of things. But maybe.

And yeah. I'd agree about how you thought about brazil...from a character and movie standpoint, they've "done" Greece. So probably more people would recognize/associate with it than brazil. Maybe they could put in Peru and put in stuff from the emperors new groove (just dreaming now)... I loved that movie, as silly as it is. And Peru has a cools culture

Stupido

i hope they don't honestly. adding Jack Sparrow was one thing, but mermaids change the purpose of the ride itself. it makes it seem magical, but it's supposed to be gruesome and terrifying and then they show you the actions that resulted in the first scene.

I was against it at first too, but then someone posted an idea of having them in the initial scene. And not even a full on Mermaid, just like the glimmer of their scales in the water going past the boat, then like a tail, then finally a full one, but far from the boats. I think it would be a perfectly creepy addition to that first scene. It's a very eerie feeling in that first scene, and I think adding the feeling of being watched would make it that much more terrifying. Especially in the dark lighting, and echoing caves, I think this would make the ride even scarier.

wiigirl

Totally agree...focus on the theme....

75.gif

Fractal514

Make the movie its own attraction. I think it's at least as good as Impressions de France. Let the people ride who want to ride, and let the people watch a movie who want to watch a movie.

Or....... replace the movie with something like this. The fjords were made by glacial activity like Niagara Falls.

I agree that the movie should be its own attraction. I don't think it is anywhere NEAR as good as Impressions de France though. That movie's score alone blows me away.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
See post #1071 of this very thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom